Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What budget TVs are recommended these days? I want something that’s 1080p (I don’t have anything that displays 4K), looks nice even with SD content, and has low input lag. I don’t need any smart features. I don’t mind buying used if it’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does SD content look worse on 4K TVs than 1080p ones?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That is cheap. What’s lag like on that tv?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can you guys help make me a decision between these two budget TCL TVs?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-1080p-2017-s305

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-s405-s425

The 4K one seems like the better option on paper but I’m going to be using this for gaming only on Nintendo systems and none of those support 4K. I’m also somewhat concerned on SD content looking better so would the 1080p one be a better option in that case?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I was worried about 720p and 1080p stuff up scaling like poo poo on my 4k TV and to tell you the truth I can't detect any up scaling at all (no more than I could on my 1080p TV). Keep in mind mine is an OLED though so I am not sure if that matters.

I’m honestly more concerned about 480p content looking like total poo poo on a 4K screen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bull3964 posted:

No amount of wizardry is going to make SD content look passable on a modern TV.

Yeah but will it look worse on a 4K screen than a 1080p one since there’s more upscaling?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jan posted:

Think about it for a second. 480p upscaled looks like garbage not because of upscaling, but because it's missing detail. If you upscale to a 4K TV or a 1080p TV of the same size, it's missing the same amount of detail. Sure, 4K might mean you'll get more pixels per upsampling artefact, but it's the same upsampling artefact.

Ah, I see. I shouldn’t notice much difference with SD content on a 4K tv then? I thought my 1080p tv did a decent enough job with it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alright, thanks. I’ll try the TCL S405. It can’t be any worse than my 7 year old Samsung.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

codo27 posted:

I just... I dunno why all the work to use the actual consoles. We have ours on display but if I wanna play any of that stuff I'll just use retroarch on the Shield.

Emulators aren’t super accurate, especially the lovely ones in Retroarch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hutzpah posted:

My brother is looking for a TV for his small apartment. He mostly watches YouTube or plays Switch. I doubt he needs the fanciest TV, but I was thinking something along the lines of the 49" Samsung NU8000. Is it worth the 650$ and is a TV of this size ever big enough? He is moving to a teeny NYC apartment next year so something bigger may not be doable.

Get the TCL S405. It’s a great TV for the price and 43” should be a decent enough size. There’s also a 49” version if he must have something bigger.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know what’s going on here with my TCL S405? This has happened only like 3-4 times in the 4 months I’ve had the tv. It’s happened both streaming from TV’s built in apps or playing games. Turning it off and back on again always fixes it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got a refurbished S405 from TCL when mine had some trouble and there seems to be a tiny piece of dust between the LCD and the backlight. Any tips on how to get it out without breaking my tv?

It's bothering the hell out of me since it's right in the middle of the screen.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 12, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tugboat Willy posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-40-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6333198.p?skuId=6333198

Was looking for a bedroom TV around 40” and came across this one. Would this be a decent buy or are there better ones out there for around the same price?

Get a 43 inch TCL S425 unless you absolutely need it to be 40 inches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any deals on a 43 inch 5-series TCL? What sites should I be monitoring? I want one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there much of a market for selling our old TVs when we want to upgrade? It seems like cheap (lovely) TVs are so ubiquitous that you might only be able to get $200 for a TV you paid $1500 for 5 years ago, if that.

This is why I'll never spend more than $500 on a tv unless I become very wealthy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HDR can be hit or miss with various sources no matter the TV I’ve noticed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The 4 series is very good but I’d get the 6 if that’s a choice and a cheaper soundbar.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BonoMan posted:

I own a 2019 5 series and a 2019 6 series and I can easily say get the 6 series. The 5 series is great but there are definite panel issues (which I'm fine with because of the price but wouldn't use it as a main driver).

What panel issues?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BonoMan posted:

The 5 series has some pretty significant clouding and off angle viewing issues. They feel more just like low quality panels (obviously) than defects. Perfect for a bedroom TV where it doesn't bother me but I wasn't a fan of it for a daily driver. Depends on usage though. Some people might be fine with that for the main tv depending on what it's for.

edit: Although RTINGS says it doesn't have clouding issues. But man oh man my very much does. Panel lottery again.

Maybe I'll stick with my S405 and wait for the 2020 5 series. Do we have any indication when that's coming? When does TCL usually release new models?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish they'd make a 43 inch version of the 6 series. I'd buy it then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish TCL would do the 6 series in 43 inch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's a recommended budget 43" tv for gaming these days? I don't need 120hz.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Samsung Q60 is the only qled at that size afaik. No local dimming. i think rtings poo-poo'd the panel uniformity though. I don't remember.
TCL 4 series also comes in 43", but I don't know if they're qled or not.

Thanks I’ll probably go with a TCL 4 series again. I had one before and it was great to me. I don’t even know what qled is.:downs:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Space Racist posted:

I have a TCL 4 series 43” (S435 model) in my bedroom. It’s a very basic, 4K 60 Hz panel but perfectly competent if that’s what you’re looking for. The HDR is almost nonexistent though since it doesn’t get very bright and is edge-lit.

That’s fine. I honestly don’t really care for HDR anyways.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What causes something like this? My tv has one in the same spot as the bottom most right one. Not as bad as that but I still faintly see it. Is it something I could reasonably fix or improve myself?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m off warranty. Wonder if it would make economic sense to repair. I don’t mind attempting myself unless it’s ridiculously hard.

Is it possible it could be something else for mine?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 30, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Space Racist posted:

If the spot is faint enough, it might be regular old dirty screen effect ('DSE'). If that's the case, I think your options are get used to it or buy a new TV with less panel variance.

If it's something that popped up recently, then yeah, probably an LED failure.

I’m thinking it’s maybe that but isn’t that normally closer to the center of the tv? It definitely hasn’t just appeared. I’m just noticing it more.

Edit:

Maybe I should actually post a photo for reference.:downs:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 30, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thank you for that.:lol:

But seriously, what’s wrong with my tv. I really like it other than this.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 31, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: Found the Hisense R6090G. That may be better for my needs since the strongest system I play is a Switch so I don't need 120Hz refresh or anything yet.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 4, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone have any tips or guidelines to setting backlight levels on a LED?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

codo27 posted:

Probably less a right/wrong thing, but more preference. I assume you aren't asking how. Rtings might have some suggested levels for your set

They said it’s a preference for mine. I just decided to set it as low as I could without seeming too dim to me but wondered if there was a better way.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently my tv (Hisense R6090G) doesn’t flicker when the backlight is at 100%. Should that influence what level of backlight I keep it at? I’m not sensitive to flicker but does it matter for games?

Obviously I don’t completely understand how this all works.:blush:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 11, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do OLEDs run cooler than LED tvs? My old TCL 4 series would heat my bedroom up quite a bit, enough to be a bit of a problem in the summer.

I’m considering getting the C2 in the summer since they’re doing a 42 inch one.

Edit: Come to think of it, it could actually be my soundbar/subwoofer set up that’s heating up the room.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 15, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FilthyImp posted:

They're warm-ish and you might feel something if you were like an inch away.

Buy, uh, I don't think a 4 series TCL would be producing plasma-TV levels of heat. That sounds like something else is the culprit.

Yeah I’m starting to think it’s the sound bar perhaps. It’s an older Samsung HW-KM45.

Or it’s just good old fashion poor ventilation.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 15, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish more sites would talk about heat distribution for these kinda reasons.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the C2 supposed to come out next month? I’m really interested in that 42 inch model.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I much much much prefer the Roku UI (not cluttered bullshit) to the other smart UIs but you probably shouldn’t buy a tv based solely on that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone help me decide between these 2 budget tvs? I like the Hisense more due to being Roku and it seems like response time is better. The Vizio seems slightly better in every other way but that trail in the response time photo looks like poo poo.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/r6090g

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/v5-series-2021

This will just be for gaming and light streaming in a bedroom.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The C2 will supposedly be brighter but probably not many more big differences between them.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Krime posted:

So is the thought that the C1 might start to see a dip in price?

Possibly but the C2’s will supposedly launch at a higher MSRP so maybe not so much.