Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

TerminalSaint posted:

Playing the Thief series has had a significant impact on my playstyle in a lot of games since, specifically the "You're a thief, not a murderer" bit. It's the main reason I've done no-kill runs in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and most recently Dishonored, which cribs heavily from Thief, and has a reference or two thrown in for good measure.

I think part of the reason Thief has become such a classic is primarily this right here. Games coming out around that time were all normal FPS'. Quake, Half life, etc... And here comes an FPS where killing on higher difficulties is strictly forbidden. Before Thief, "first person" was synonymous with "shooter", and mostly still is. Deus Ex bucked the trend somewhat, but Thief was one of the few games I'd ever played that was first person, but directly forbid you from harming people. Thief (and Deus Ex) essentially created a completely new gameplay style. Not only allowing you to engage opponents without being lethal, but strictly expecting you to do so, and in first person.

The cutscenes were also fascinating to watch when I was younger. The different text and voice over was part of my favorite thing about the game. The only other game that really hit me with its voice over cutscenes was Myth (which is also a Classic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

My copy of Thief 3 on steam basically doesn't have loading screens. I don't even have time to look at them when transitioning. I still am not a huge fan of Thief 3 though. What is this fix for 'weighty' movement? And does it work with the steam version?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I wondered why this thread exploded.

I don't see how they can make a reboot of Thief with no magic. It's unique setting with a combination of machinery and magic really set a tone for the game. It was the entire thematic premise for Thief 2 along with the inclusion of the Woodsy lord and the Hammerites in Thief 1. It let you use both mechanical gadgets and potions/crystals. It feels like a shame to make an environment for the reboot that features nothing supernatural. Who's gonna whisper and rattle their chains before running you down and murdering you?

Speaking of that, why are they focusing so much on combat? "We don't want to force the player to play a certain way"? Why is that a good mantra? You buy racing games to race, fighting games to fight, shooting games to shoot,...why does a stealing and sneaking game need to accommodate different styles of play? This game isn't Deus Ex or Dishonored where that was a goal. It's a sneaking game. If you want to pull out your sword and chop people up as a last resort, go right ahead. It should accommodate you as well as a pacifist run through Serious Sam.

I don't know if the preview mentioned anything about sound, but they should. It's really the most important element of the game. If setting made up half of Thief, sound made up the other 60%. Keeping voiceover work and the stylized cutscenes would be a nice touch too, but sound is so vital for a game like this. Maybe previews don't read as well when a bullet point is "has sound! And voice!"

Fintilgin is right. This game is sacred. Don't break my heart.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

If the PS4 specs are anything to go by, 8gb of RAM is going to mean levels will actually be humongous, if 'loading' levels doesn't cease to exist completely. Developers have only gotten more clever at hiding loading times as games have progressed with crippling memory limits. I can easily see levels loading near instantly these days, and sprawling pretty easily. Thief 3 had to deal with 64MB of Ram on the Xbox. We'll have close to 8Gb of RAM for the next gen consoles. To put that in perspective, you could fit over 100 Thief 3 levels in that memory limit.

So yeah, don't worry about the size of the levels.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Early Unreal did. I have no idea how they do it now.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Slashrat posted:

More stuff: http://www.shacknews.com/article/78205/thiefs-hero-redesigned-to-be-more-mainstream

Did this guy even play the previous games or is my memory of them so rusty that I have somehow forgotten the parts where garrett paints his nails black as a personal rebellion against authority?

From what I can tell, he has trouble differentiating between Gothic architecture and goths.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I really need to play through Dishonored. I was looking forward to, I've got installed, I played the intro up until you go to live at the inn(?) and then I just... stopped. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if I know I'm going to like it and I want my playthrough to be ~perfect~ so I keep putting it off, or what. It looks awesome, it appeals to me... I dunno.. :confused:

Let me put it to you this way.

I got through the start of the game and after skulking around the 'hub' area, I felt like I was basically playing Thief. I snuck past a guard, jumped up to mantle onto a ledge, hopped onto a roof and completely bypassed a light barrier. Did I mention I pickpocketed the guard on my way past? It's basically Thief hiding underneath another, less interesting but more mainstream, game. You can even bypass all assassinations and never even be seen if you are good enough. Play it.

I mean, it even feels like Thief the first time you lean around a corner to snatch a guards coin purse.

People talking about map design: Forget FPS'. Just look at any recent RPG made and then go look at literally any infinity game. My favorite example is to grab Dragon Age (1 OR 2) and say...Baldur's Gate 2, or Torment, or anything, and compare city maps. What you'll notice almost instantly is this:

Dragon age city -> [] or |_/\|
BG2 or Torment city -> O

There's a very good reason they look like circles, and I'd definitely agree Level Design is dead. Player flow at the best of times nowadays either dumps the player at the start of a linear corridor to prevent backtracking, or wraps around (Skyrim dungeons). It's like they took the idea of a circle, but cut out the middle part.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rime posted:

Incgamers posted this pretty brutal article on the new game, but I suppose the gaming media is just a biased bunch of NMA grognards now too?

He even mentions it in the last paragraph.

"But it’s the same old tired pattern with yet another ‘reboot.’ These statements sound like the opening shots of a desperate PR campaign to placate older fans or (if that doesn’t succeed,) push them into enough of an alienated minority that they can easily be shouted down as “fanboys” by other potential buyers. "

Ain't that the god drat truth. I wonder if Eidos will pull a Ninja Theory and black eyeshadow will become the new white hair putdown to shut "fanboys" up and their pedantic whining over trivial issues. Meanwhile it looks like they completely sucked the ambiance and soul out of Thief by tearing away the voice actors, the dialogue, the Cities blend of steampunk and magic, the cutscenes, and probably the music while you're at it. I guess we get the light gem back at least. Can't wait to hear Garrett talk like a grizzled war veteran while my enemies yell "gently caress" at me a lot.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rime posted:

The light gem has been confirmed to not be in the game. It's been replaced by black tinges on the edge of your vision, similar to the blood effect every FPS has replaced a visible health meter with.

Also, you can only lean contextually. So whenever you come up to a corner you'll be prompted to press a button to lean, there is no lean key. Pfah.

So let me get this straight: Visibility has been reduced to a binary value of not hidden at all or completely invisible? If there's "stages" of wafty smoke, how is that any more informative than a variable graphic indicator on your HUD?

And leaning is purely contextual? Because Dishonored had no problem with it. What the hell?

These guys did a perfect remake of Deus Ex. What happened?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Nuclear Fetus posted:

"Ghosting? like walking through walls?"

What in the everliving gently caress, that guy is so awkward and obviously hasn't even played the previous games.

That's not an actual quote, right?

These guys and Ninja Theory should get together and make a game. The result would either be so catastrophic it would halt the creation of remakes for twenty years, or become some kind of cult classic that will be memorialized in American culture for decades.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

Can we just retcon 'Dishonored' to be the new Thief and change Corvo Attano to Garret

I thought everyone did? I mean, the game lets you pickpocket guards. Pickpocket guards. There's not even a reason to do that! It's an assassination game. Why would you pickpocket money off guards?

Because, Thief.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Thief is like my all-time favourite game, but I've never once ghosted a level. gently caress that poo poo. Stacking unconscious dudes in corners all day erryday.

One of my favorite ones was Ironman Ghosting the bank in Thief 2. I would absolutely recommend it, but make sure you have your route planned out. Knocking guards out gives you more freedom to move back and forth between areas, but part of the point of ghosting is the efficiency of getting in, getting what you need, and getting out all in one go.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Dishonored isn't Thief 4 if only because Corvus thinks choking people out is better than carrying around a sap, plus he needs more long-ranged non-lethal methods... I've always been a part of the school that considers a ghost run incomplete until I'm the last person awake at the end, and I appreciated how the Thief series gave me tools to make that sort of run possible.

I've always treated ghosting as is only complete when nobody knows you were there, period. No knock outs, never being spotted, etc... I wouldn't go as far as the Lydia(?) style which is closing doors behind you and leaving no trace at all, but ghosting is definitely 'no knockouts' in my mind.

The reason I consider Dishonored Thief 4 is because you can ghost it under my definition. Just like Thief.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

You can walk off it though!

You guys are ridiculous.

It won't let you down unless you hit the button prompt.

Hank Morgan posted:

Lytha style?

That's the one.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

LordLeckie posted:

I just cant get over WHALE BULLET because of the sheer absurdity of WHALE BULLET.

More than likely, the whale oil is the powder charge, not the bullet.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mortal Sword posted:

So they're explicitly lifting straight from Dishonored now.

How does that even work, when Dishonored is a love letter to the original Thief series?

I mean, besides the fact this game is either being designed by incompetent people, or is being published by incompetent people who have to much design control.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I did play 3. I thought it was pretty average/poor with a few bright spots/good levels. I especially disliked the weird witch thing and keeper assassins and such.

I keep intending to give Dishonored a try. I got a level or two in and just... stopped. I'm not a big fan of 'line of sight' stealth. But I hear good things about it and it's still on my list to try again. There have been plenty of games/books/etc I've failed to like at first attempt and loved on a later try, so I'm hoping Dishonored will wind up in that camp.

Fintilgin, I'm telling you. Dishonored is literally Thief. Every single design decision ranging from looting, map design and layout, abilities, character design, movement, mission objectives, etc...is Thief. The only difference is they replace hiding using shadows to hiding using movement. You can blink under tables/in fireplaces/under desks/etc..., along with being able to blink onto chandeliers, ledges, outcroppings and bookcases, all of which have openings and secret passages.

Remember casing the joint? There's a level that is almost literally that level. Remember breaking and entering? Like, the second level is that level. Remember Life of the Party? There is literally a level having a masquerade.

Go play Dishonored

User0015 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 5, 2014

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I don't see how that video is relevant. Mind you, I could certainly agree making games into a cinematic storytelling experience is often at odds with gameplay, or that gameplay is often sacrificed for storytelling.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Hank Morgan posted:

A new one of these things.

'Things' is a good descriptor. These are so *grimdark* it hurts. The music is rather close to the original though, if a little heavy on the bass.

"...And he will be caught, and he will know pain, and then he will plead for the noose!" That poo poo's fuckin' shakespeare.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

The tone and sound of the music is pretty spot on. They just don't seem to have any grasp of ambiance or theme, so the music drowns the sound out instead of quietly rolling in the background.

Hahaha, they kept the heavy 'clod' of his boots, except they forgot to include distinctive sounds associated with textures, so he's running across metal grating and it sounds like he's on a wooden floor.

There seems to be a 50/50 split between gameplay and cutscene. Not joking about that ratio.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rime posted:

Human Revolution, while a functional and playable enough game despite the jarringly cut levels later in the game, was in no way shape or form a "worthy successor" to Deus Ex.

I don't get the DE:HR hate. I thought it was an excellent game and was absolutely worthy of being a Deus Ex game.

I wish there was more dialogue for side missions, augs were a little more varied and useful, and the boss fights weren't forced combat. The director's cut even fixes that last issue.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

It's almost as if it looks like a decent if flawed game that doesn't do anything catastrophically wrong, but doesn't live up to the high standards of an established franchise.

This game is so bad, even the reviews aren't entertaining.

"Yawn. When's lunch. 7/10" -Literally every review except, like, 2 I guess.

This game isn't 'flawed'. It's catastrophically bad. Just economically speaking, I'm sure it cost a pretty penny and landed flat on its face. It was basically Bioshock Infinite for development time, will sell nowhere near as good, and look at what happened to Irrational. It could very well bury the Thief franchise forever just like DmC is trying to do. It doesn't get much worse than 'ending a franchise' bad.

Here's to Dishonored 2: Adventures in Pandyssia.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

People here really want to get their hate on. Catastrophically bad would mean it won't start, or horrifically mangles your system in some way.

That's literally not true. Myth's uninstaller mangled your startup files and made your OS an unbootable pile of bytes and it was still one of the greatest games ever made.

Andrast posted:

Thief 4 is the worst kind of bad. The really boring kind.

It's so bad, it doesn't even garner amazing reviews. SneakyBastards not-withstanding, though I've never heard of them until now. That's the kind of review I like. :allears:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pathos posted:

Oh god why did I buy this

I expect a full review from you after playing it through 100%.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rudager posted:

Money well spent!

At least it has some level of material worth.

Now someone needs to sneak into their offices and steal it.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Whoa, Terry Pratchett's daughter writes for video games? That's so loving cool.

She wrote the new Tomb Raider as well, if I remember right.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What the gently caress are those candles for? I've lit a ton of them and all I get are creepy whispers.

Thank you
Kill her
Trust her
Nooooooo

The hell?

It's like their version of the Heart. Are they ever full sentences, or just short quips?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

echronorian posted:

In a lot of ways this game is an improvement over the old games.

First of all it looks terrific. The old games look like utter poo poo even when they were new.

There's less ways to fail so less frustration. I hate repeating stealth sections over and over.

Stealing is always fun. The mundane nature of what you steal is humorous.

There's less buttons to worry about without a jump button. I hate having to time my jumps just right in games. Just let me move fast!

The story is ridiculous which keeps it kind of light hearted.

I'm not sure I'd see these as improvements. I'll grant you it looks better, but two of your complaints are, "It's much easier than old Thief games." which I'm not sure is an improvement. I mean, the purpose of difficulty in Thief (old Thief) is to punish you for playing incorrectly. If you could kill guards in Thief easily (which you can, but it takes practice and patience), there would be no incentive to avoid them. Saying there's less ways to fail seems like you mean guards are easier to kill, which doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on a game that wants you to avoid combat entirely.

The story being 'light hearted' isn't really an improvement either, because the old Thief games not only had an excellent story, but excellent atmosphere and themes to go along with it. Ideologies between the Hammerites cultish behavior, stringent religious practices, pain and punishment, sacrifice and hardship and belief in justice contrasted against nature's inherit wildness, chaos and freedom of the self with Keepers and Garett thrown in the middle. It was a game of Gods, monsters and men, in a vaguely magical steampunk setting where technology and magic mesh together. I don't see how Thi4f's story and its light hearted nature, is an improvement over that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

In a plot twist it turns out The City is where Corvo goes next and we replay Thief 4 with Outsider powers.

That's not possible. You'd blink once and fall out of the map.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah, the noun capitalization in AC4 is a Thing, and not something they've done because they're writing scripts Like Newspapers Write Headlines.

In the time period of AC4's setting, capitalizing every noun was accurate. As far as the writing team goes, they're pretty competent. Just not for this game.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I think you are confusing Eidos Montreal with Ubisoft Montreal. As for AC4, I think it must have helped not to have this guy on-board.

I am. Oops. In any case, I don't know if the writing is to blame. That studio also did the new Tomb Raider, right? Then again, that had Rhianna Pratchett at the helm, so that might be the big difference in quality.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

This game has no excuses then. drat. I knew that already, but just how badly can you gently caress something up? Hey, we have a world class author's daughter on board, who's no slouch herself and has written some really good games in the past. What could possibly go wrong?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

...the highest commendation I've given the game in this thread is that it's "relatively good",

Relative to what, exactly? Relatively good to Thief 2? Relatively good to anal blisters?

What is a bad game to you, so that we can see what you're comparing a "relatively good" game to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

'Angry nobodies'. Holy poo poo dude, are you Total Biscuit.

Nothing he said is wrong, so....:confused:

• Locked thread