Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

These freaking Yulefest dailies have taken over my life, the rewards are too good. Absurd quantities of marks (at least for a level 30 skirmisher), a couple tomes of will- I pretty much have to spend an hour every day cycling through each of my alts doing the keg emergency quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

So my guardian has an interrupt skill (stamp), but I have yet to spot anything resembling casting on the part of mobs. Is there any way to tell when an ability with a cast time is being used, or a UI option I've missed? Use of interrupts were a huge help in WoW but I've had this ability for 5 levels and yet to use it to any effect.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wow I never noticed that, gonna have to pay more attention to their feet. Their other body language vs autoattack has proven too subtle for me so far.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

My take on responsiveness, this definitely felt sluggish for me coming from Warcraft. It stopped bothering me as I got used to the different play mechanics. WoW plays like a fighting game, you hit the button exactly when you want the skill to fire off, global cooldowns are fast, key presses for abilities that aren't immediately available fail. It's 3D mortal combat.

In LOTRO by contrast you actually queue up an ability in advance, sometimes it even seems to queue two (haven't quite figured this out). So one reason it may seem less responsive is the exact timing of your keypresses isn't as relevant when you can queue it during the cooldown instead of needing to hit it right after. The slowness might also be an illusion caused by the animations. Either way I think the sluggishness is less of an issue than it seems; my last-moment self heals don't seem to fail any more in this game than they did in WoW.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It helps to keep an eye on quest rewards too, the only aesthetically pleasing helmet I've encountered so far came from an intro quest (the flared metal helm). Also some things look less like war-pajamas when you dye them.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Drone posted:

Is that the one that looks kinda like one of the old British helmets from WW1 and 2? I have that on my level 10 captain, looks pretty sweet.
Flared metal helm is pictured here, though I prefer mine in grey:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjdW9zN66vlp-AarXxo-rgyTnfrz--i6AHzOw-oM9idp6ZU4i3CtWcw71DRA

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Metrohunter posted:

It's very easy to make a hobbit look like a red mage from Final Fantasy with a few cosmetics.

Or a dwarf like Tim the Enchanter.

I'm sure it could be done more accurately.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Anyway you need to use your imagination to let time expand and contract a bit; it's not a realtime game. The Epics are what advance time fellowship-wise and as far as world events, between each you can do any number of side quests, adventures etc. The game has no real intended timetable for you.

If it really bothers you that Gandalf's waiting in a room for you to take a quest, go do what he needs; at some point you will get a "travel here" or "go see what's up with this ranger" quest. Have your adventures between those and count it as travel time as authors often do in books. Also I can assure you that the big players do have more important poo poo to do, and will mostly be off somewhere doing it. You weave in and out of their tale and are generally someone they send on missions when they cross your path; things that are important to their minds but that they don't have time for given their own missions.

It's your first playthrough and you seem concerned with tale consistency, so just do what feels right for your character and if you do find yourself over- or under-leveled, concoct some consistent reason to go account for it. Buford wanted me to journey to the Blood Forest but the spiders kicked my rear end; so I spent a season as a mercenary for the town guard to learn some tricks.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Walker posted:

Is the in-game store painfully slow for anybody else?

As a general rule, for as long as I've been playing (last march), yes, yes it is. Some days are worse than others, on a good day it's fine for ordering stuff but still unpleasant for browsing.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I've seen it that slow (though not lately). Usually the worst load time is up front, so I try to fire it up when I'm about to go afk for a few; once fully loaded it gets much better. Also the confirmation buttons are often invisible until I mouse over them. :downs:

There's probably an administrative reason it's like this, but this is a gorgeous game surrounded by some ridiculously janky extra-game interfaces. The store's one example, their crazy disorganized and often broken website another.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Irsh posted:

I briefly enjoyed this game during it's beta days and I haven't touched it since, but have a bit of time lately to sink in to it. I'll likely take advantage of the F2P aspect for a while, but once I've tapped out all that I can do for free, what is the best method to pay for content going forward if I end up wanting to stick around?

The link in the OP regarding this seems broken

If you mean the one a few posts in that just loops back to this thread, here it is properly:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335135-Answers-to-Your-Questions

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Here's a table for expansion prices, note that sale %'s vary (usually from 25%-50% I think) and the actual cash value of your TP will vary according to whether you buy it in bulk and how you valuate those you earned or bought bundled via VIP subscription.

(base editions only)
Cash equivalent estimated at $0.01/TP
code:

Expansion	Full Price	Sale Price	TP	cash equiv	TP @ 35% off	cash equiv
Mines of Moria*	    $20.00	$10.00		2495	$24.95		1622		$16.22
Mirkwood	    $10.00	N/A		695	$6.95		452		$4.52
Rise of Isengard    $20.00	N/A		3495	$34.95		2272		$22.72
>Triple pack	    $40.00	$20.00		unk.			
 --Triple pack includes ALL THREE of the above
Riders of Rohan	$40.00		$20.00		4295	$42.95		2792		$27.92

*Moria boxed can also be bought off of Amazon for $20-$25, purchasing this way also gains you a month of VIP. I think this is a good way for new players to get bumped quickly up to 5 character slots, unlock all classes and make 5 future characters with 5 bags and no wallet cap with their month of VIP. The current 50% off sale and triple pack make it less attractive for now.

Quest Pack prices can be seen here:
http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store
If you get the full expansions you can ignore the corresponding quest packs for those.
Quest packs are usually bought with TP, and if you watch the store patiently you can generally get them on sale (same 25%-50% range).

There are also quest pack bundles, two I've seen- Mithril Edition (off Gamestop, $25?) and Path of the Fellowship (not available now?)

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 3, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I agree it's a clusterfuck, and yes the full expansions include their own quest packs, so that triple pack should include all of them.

For what it's worth, I've been playing for 9 months and have yet to hit the content from the first expansion- this isn't normal, but my point is that buying the expansions isn't necessarily high priority when you're first trying the game (current sale is awesome though). When I bought Moria it was for the classes and +2 character slots; the perks from the other expansions are less immediately useful.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Well the only way a person can maximize their money is to lay out the things they want and work out the math. For someone who's not both broke and cheap as gently caress like myself, the solution's much simpler:

-Buy that triple pack and Riders of Rohan now while it's on sale for $40, that's basically the cost of a video game.
-Subscribe VIP for however long you feel safe investing up front. That ranges from $10-$15/month, less than or equal to the cost of playing World of Warcraft. Save most of your TP during that time so you can permanently buy some content when VIP runs out and you have a feel for it.

If all that's too much $ for a game you aren't sure you're going to play, just buy a one month VIP subscription for $15 and enjoy, reevaluate next month. That first month of VIP comes loaded with perks between the bag and wallet unlocks, 500 TP, bump to Premium etc; I suspect even most pay-as-you-go players subbed VIP briefly to get those.

There is definitely a farmer trainer in both Michel Delving and Bree (just north of town I think), maybe others. I'm pretty sure they set up trades like that to encourage barter between players, or crafting alts (thus character slots (thus more income from players who wouldn't normally roll alts)).

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Beach Party posted:

Wouldn't happen to have a captain that you could post a screenshot of the keybinds you use? Im having trouble coming up with something that is intuitive and not just random skills everywhere on my skill bars.
I know you weren't asking me, but in case it helps here's the layout I drew up for mine. Their specific placement is historic for me and useless for you, but you can see the categories I felt like the skills fell under on the line underneath:

click and click again on imgur for big

"ZERO, ONE, TWO" signifies elements of the three-step ability chain; Battle Shout -> Defensive/Sure Strike -> Blade of Elendil. Abilities in blue are herald skills, I chose to arrange them according to what they do rather than the fact that they're herald abilities.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 4, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That rainbow... :aaaaa:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

How much do I need to level a crafting alt?
If you mean gold for materials, I don't think anyone's going to be able to answer that without knowing which trade and how high you want to get it (and even then nobody may remember, it's a long road and mat prices on Silverlode are pretty volatile).

One way that doesn't require a bunch of gold is to just make a character you might play down the road with complementary trades, play them through their intro area and then run to a major city's crafting/vault area. Buy shared storage so you don't have to mail poo poo between characters one at a time, and whenever your main is near a bank just drop the mats in the vault. Your alt should at least be able to keep pace with you. Keeping crafting a tier higher so you get crit gear all the time is proving to be a challenge for me with a low-level main, even with an army of alts. If you don't enjoy the crafting, you might get by just fine buying your gear off the auction house- it's a buyer's market for low level crafters.

So where is the goon kin house on Silverlode? I haven't requested an invite yet because I'd mostly just lurk and I like my chat empty, but if it's open to the public I'd like to drop in and see how it's decorated (wow that sounds lame). Goons are of course always welcome in my home at 4 Roaring Road, Rekstrom, Thorin's Hall Homesteads, Silverlode. Interior decoration by Hanrahan.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 6, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not at all really; I've got a cook who at level 12 can make foods for clear up through level 50's and there's nothing stopping her from going further. The only thing you miss out on as a lowbie crafter is the ability to equip higher level crafting tools with better crit percentages. All you need to do is get through the intro, then you can make a beeline for the nearest major city; around level 6-8 I think is where you get the quests to take crafting skills.

The first shared storage is expensive because it's 20 slots, I'd wait to catch it at 35% off for 647TP if you change your mind about it. For anyone moving things between alts though it's a huge quality of life improvement. When I come back to town with full bags I like dropping mats into tabs labeled by trade, and collecting things relevant to my character when it's convenient without trying to think about who gets what. If you aren't an altoholic with an army of crafters it might not be that big a deal.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 6, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

fenix down posted:

Just join the guild and teleport to it!!!

Would it be bad etiquette for me to join and not even have a guild chat window up 95% of the time? This game's turned me into a bit of an immersion nut.

e; gently caress it, if you see a request from Pinalope that's me, make me a Nazgun

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 6, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wow, I saw that mentioned earlier but didn't realize it had those crit levels. I'm trying to save my TP for a second XP disabler but that's tempting.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

So are these lower-level lootboxes I've found in my travels doomed to uselessness? The Sturdy Steel Key for them is the same one as needed for higher level stuff, I've gotten two via drops and the things go consistently for like 10g+ on the auction house. I can't imagine anyone trading 10 gold for a few dourhand crests and potions.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Just stick it in storage and wait for a key to drop. Yeah, there's an tiny chance you'll get something good, but they usually contain utter poo poo.

Well in my case I have like 6 Barrow-Ironbound lootboxes, 4 Bronze-bound, a Gold-bound, and I'm sitting on a single Steel Key. I could sell the key for a guaranteed 10 gold, but since I really don't need the money I'm just torn between gambling on one of these lower level ones and saving it for a higher level lootbox down the road. My bank alt has room for now but at some point I'm going to have to stop growing this lootbox hoard.

e; Wow I just used one of those "Enhanced XP Supply" tokens and got a whopping fifth of a level of rested bonus. If I'd payed them 75 TP for this I'd be pissed.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 7, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Apples and oranges. LOTRO is a good MMO for people who are at least as interested in story, immersion and an enjoyable fantasy atmosphere as they are in hitting buttons to play a video game. SWTOR on the other hand is the stinking, rotting poo poo shamefully abandoned in a corner by anonymous programmers.

Seriously though last time I saw SWTOR it was pretty, and the combat was probably more action packed than LOTRO. Still, everything I found lacking in that game is done properly in this one; this is the game for people who don't like the direction more gamer-oriented MMO's took.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 7, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I love the new pending loot window. :iia:
It's so awesome it almost feels like cheating to me. I get this ridiculous compulsion, (ignored), to use it only for discard decisions rather than what it is: a big 50-slot loot bag you get to drag into town once an hour.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I wish they'd chill out and stop producing content for a few years while I catch up. Focus their efforts on housing, we desperately need more hooks and fireplaces that cast light.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

ruffz posted:

I find it hard to understand why they haven't released any new housing areas and we're going on 6 years post-launch. One of the most awesome things they could do is let you build a house by itself off in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to build one in Fangorn. I'd imagine they're limited by the lore in where they can expand though.

As it stands I think they need to do something to sorta revitalize what's there first; too many absentee renters and too few reasons for normal players to do things there. At first I thought the whole upkeep thing, the ability to pay in advance and the escrow broker was so they COULD boot players after inactivity. And the whole argument against crafting facilities in the housing falls apart after they've proven willing to make the Bree crafting hall what it is; they could easily make a housing craft-zone that is shared among all neighborhoods.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I agree on both points with Thorin's Hall; the location by quick travel makes it hard to pass up but I find it sorta dreary in there and many decorations seem out of place. The plots with snow on the ground are at least a little cozier. My personal favorite area is the southern end of Chestnut lane, Bree Homesteads. Very cabin-in-the-woods.

I found this page useful, especially the interactive maps linked at the bottom with screenshots of each plot:
http://www.lotrolife.com/lotro_housing_guide/

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

SeaTard posted:

[snip] it's entertaining and you get one of the best titles in the game. [snip]
Which title is that? (maybe spoiler it)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for the refreshers, I'd forgotten I got a title for that- totally wasted on my LM, for some reason the elf maiden just doesn't jibe with amusing things. And got her butt kicked royally on her first attempt at it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

You're the Nazgun from last night who was throwing away rune-carved tablets aren't you! :argh:

Pretty much any crafting mat is going to be worth selling on the auction house, if you don't see any on the AH it's actually a good sign that you might get decent money for it.

I seldom have to vendor anything but task items, fishing junk, and the yellow-quality weapons that drop in the world. Some gear with bad stats takes several auction cycles or even has to be vendored, telling which of those will sell gets a little trickier.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Beach Party posted:

Its true.. its all true. I am forever shamed :(

I just found it funny because they're one of two things I check the auction house for every time I'm near, so I'm painfully aware of their shortage. Until I get more I will not be able to dye everything crimson!

Don't even discount selling useless items (unless you find it a waste of time); I just got 137 silver for a mounted bullhead.:D

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Housing recruitment drive, new goons on Silverlode- if you are moving into Thorin's Hall Homesteads and have no preference, populate the southern portion of Rekstrom, Thorin's Hall. I live there, my friend Phishphlakes' chicken farm is there, and "Stylix" whoever the gently caress he is has opened his home to exploration after an angry letter re his locked door and my inability to use his facilities. I know any attempt at community building is doomed to fail with housing as useless as it is, but if in doubt or without a housing preference? Rekstrom, South Side.

e; apparently Rekstrom is largely rented! DIASPORA

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 9, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Lars posted:

Thanks for the description of that Legal quest - I'm right in the middle of it, but got distracted by the sheer awesome that is Warden. Got to 16 without noticing that the time zipped to 1.30am. One more level... one more gambit.

Remy, I have an abandoned house from my LM - do I have to pay to unlock it to get rid of it and relocate? I don't really like it anyway.

No, but once you abandon a house you have to pay the startup cost of the next one so you're out the initial cost of your first one. Make sure you know where you're going before abandoning, apparently Rekstrom's been populated more than I thought in the past couple weeks.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Weekly store sale, this week's ad:
"Get in game! Log in to find out what's on sale this week"
And it now redirects to the sales stored at a subdomain called "archive"
http://archive.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/

I don't know what their angle is here, but I hope they aren't doing away with advertising sales on the web. I liked checking the new ones from work, sussing out the character-specific sales will be a big pain in the rear end for people with lots of alts, and the store interface in game is terrible on high-traffic days. Like the day new sales drop.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The Walker posted:

That actually reminds me- thank you to whoever suggested disabling autodetecting a proxy for my issue with the slow store. Worked like a charm.

A second thanks to them and I feel stupid for not trying it sooner; I always thought those settings only affected Internet Explorer. Drastic improvement.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

I'd just like to know how you guys end up with that setting enabled in the first place. It's a largely unnecessary compatibility feature that is supposed to be disabled by default and only enabled if you know what you're doing (like actually using a proxy, but even then you'd set it up yourself).
If you mean the "automatically detect settings" option under LAN settings in internet explorer, I found it enabled on both my installations of Windows 7. If it's not on by default, then something unrelated to proxies had to have toggled it because I don't ever bother to touch iexplore's settings- just run it once long enough to download another browser.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Do you really want to hear Vampire Diaries blaring from my living room punctuated by occasional gulping sounds as I swill beer and thumb through my bank? Don't you find idle voice chat with strangers when you aren't grouped sorta awkward? I don't even stay on voice chat with real-life friends after our game night's done, always assumed most guilds just used it for raids and things.

Besides text chat is perfectly expressive and allows you to ignore it while you read quest text or immerse yourself. Only point to voice chat is when you really need to coordinate combat imo.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Bit of a crosspost from the Amazon MP3 deals thread, seems on-topic here: Amazon's running the three MP3 soundtracks for the LOTR trilogy at $5.99 right now.

edit; $5.99 each, don't cream your pants.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 13, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

sassassin posted:

Evendim is good, but gets a bit tedious sticking with it from 30-40 imo. There's enough quests and junk to do it (I skipped all the lower level stuff in the south, started at Tinnudir), but after swimming back across the lake for the tenth time and spending an hour stuck on the salamander island you'll want somewhere else to go.
There are quick-travel ferries between Tinnundir, salamander island, the northwest corner and a landing down by Men Erain (southeast). The geezers here will tell you about the old days when it was not so, and they had to swim, and lived in caves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh ouch- wait how do you quest in Evendim without paying anything?

• Locked thread