Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So Solstice Arena seems to be a pretty legit MOBA on iOS. Developed by Zynga, I know I know. But it seems to follow the League of Legends model pretty closely. Micro transactions are only for new heroes and cosmetic upgrades.

There are only a handful of heroes now, and an assortment of them are available for free at the moment. I think the selection of free heroes will rotate eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone else playing Solstice?

It's a game by Zynga... that's a MOBA... and it's not completely terrible? :stare:

At least the heroes have a wide array of different powers

I'm playing it and its qutie good. The IAP hooks aren't exploitive (i.e pay to win). There are only 11 or so heroes at the moment, 5 of which rotate as free every so often (pretty sure League of Legends uses the same system). The biggest issue seems to be people quitting mid-game and the like.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

Probably because theyre awful. Do the games take like an hour in typical dotalike fashion?

Nope, a typical game is 8 - 12 minutes, so not a huge time commitment. Game is sped up by a lack of creeps, being 3v3 instead of 5v5, and towers lose all their offensive abilities when the opposing team is either all healing or dead. The longest game I've played was 14 minutes, and that was a PVP game where everyone pretty much knew what they were doing.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Polegrinder posted:

I'm hopelessly addicted to Blizzard's Hearthstone game. Are there any TCG on the App Store that are pretty good? Looking for something that's easy to pick up and play and online multiplayer would be a plus.

Thanks

I think you're in luck as Solforge just entered open beta and the app is currently live on the App Store. It's iPad only, but will definitely scratch that Hearthstone itch until its released on iOS (hopefully) later this year.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

Yeah it is that. But your not guaranteed to pull those level 2 cards. So if you opponent pulls two level 2 cards (about 50% stronger than a level 1 card) and you pull none, then your basically playing catch up until either you get lucky and they don't or you lose. God help you if they pull a level 3 and you only pull level 1 cards.

I will to say I'm just a newbie and don't understand the game, but it seems completely luck based.

It's really about deck construction and strategy. Don't be afraid to sacrafice cards (even kill your own creatures or play spells without targets) so that they level up quicker (some cards will even not count towards your 2 cards per turn at level 2) and find a creature to spell ratio that works for you (I find 2:1 is a nice balance).

There's also a Solforge thread in games:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560617

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Maybe a little bit of a can of worms, but what are people's thoughts on Solstice Arena? I really want to like MOBAs- I really like the idea of them- but almost every aspect of their implementation that could irritate a person irritates me. SA seems different enough from LoL and DOTA to be worth a shot, but I'm curious what other people think about it.

I like it, but it becomes stupidly easy and/or frustrating playing as/against higher level characters. I've pretty much maxed out my Hamhock to the point where I can kill an entire team of average levle players without issue.

Don't expect mactches 30-40 minutes in length like Dota 2 or LoL; there are no creeps so most matches end in 10-12 minutes max.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

Aren't dedicated mobile game review joints generally garbage? I'm genuinely asking because I've owned an iPhone all of a week.

Speaking of that, what games should I try if I'm after proper rear end games, not time management f2p garbage? I hesitate to use the term but I guess "core games" are what I want. I'm also extremely cheap so I guess anything free to $5 or so would be what I'm after.

For "core" games I would recommend XCOM ($20) and The Walking Dead (first episode free, $5 per episide 2 - 5) on iOS. However, I generally find that console experiences are best left to consoles. The best games for smartphones tend to blend mobile experiences with some "core" features while still taking advantage of the unique controls of a touchscreen.

My favorites:

Cook, Serve, Delicious ($5)
The Room (I think .99, maybe free)
10000000 ($2.99)

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just realized you mnetioned iPhone in your post. Cook, Serve, Delicious may be iPad only and the room has a "pocket" edition that's different from the iPad version.

10000000 is the bees knees though.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Cave is a really awesome little morality play. Not sure how the controls will hold up on mobile, but I loved it on XBLA.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

I am a huge scaredycat when it comes to scary things. How... How scary are Year Walk and Device 6? Unnerving scary or BWAH JESUS scary?

Year Walk is mostly just disturbing imageery (Unnerving) with an occassional jump scare IIRC. I found parts of Year Walk to be a bit obtuse (the sound puzzle), for example. Don't be afraid to use a FAQ.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If anyone was waiting for Xcom to go on sale again, it's 50% off. Presumably for the next 24 hours.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

The design process should have taken 10 seconds, and ended up with this:

Just think, people actually sat around coming up with a hundred dollar device with zero analogue sticks in 2013. gently caress me.

Nailed it. Both devices are bluetooth compatiable, why is this an issue?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

robodex posted:

Balance the game so it's actually fun to play, maybe? They could probably start with that.

Seems like they increased the frequency of the "find rebel spy / delivery package to" for bux in the update. I got 3 in a 5 minute span this morning.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Yeah, on top of myriads of glitches, unresponsive menus and other performance issues.

What's the dream-jobbers issue you guys are complaining about? I've been able to fire people from jobs to move in people who have it as a dream job, fire everyone in a level to re-order their levels, and everything else I was doing before.
What were you doing that is now being complained about?

Whenever I try to change the job of a bitizen already employed, I get a message saying Lord Vader wants me to build more businesses. i.e I need to have an open spot in a business (preferably their dream job).

Before the update I would move the bitizen back to their apartment (unemployed) and then re-hire them at their dream job. Not being able to do that requires me to leave a business slot open.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

You can only do it if you have open job slots.

If all your stores are full, you get Vader saying you need to build more floors (with no option to unemploy anyone).

So the option is to keep two open job slots (one to cycle to and one to cycle out of) and just cycle your bitizens you want to move to their dream job. Why not just let me put them back in the apartment like I was?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So if my calculations are correct, I am about 10 days from finishing Tiny Death Star (building every available level); do I at least have a cool event to look forward to, like blowing up Alderaan or something?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

I had some friends over and finally got to try out YDKJ Party.
It's a great game, basically exactly the same as on the 360/PS3/Wii. For some reason the graphics actually look better than on my 360 somehow, even though Airplay should be lower quality by definition. I had friends with a mix of IOS versions and even some with Androids and it all worked fine.

You only get one episode for free. I bought all the other episodes (30) for $10.49.
The other con compared to the console version is that obviously having your phone as a controller for hours on end is a pretty big battery drain. On the plus side you don't have infrared LOS issues like the console controllers do.

Other comments:
-It's a lot easier to have people's names come up now that they can display a keyboard on your phone rather than having people monopolise the TV screen.
-But, there are no Gibberish Questions which I would have assumed they'd include now that they can show you a keyboard.
-It's still only 4 players even though in theory there would be no limit.

Does only one person need to buy the episodes for everyone to play?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did Fates Forver come out last month an no one notice? Just randomly thought about it and Google gave me an iTunes link. Don't have my iPad with me at work and can't check the App Store. Seems weird that it would be so quiet since it got so much attention last fall.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DarthBlingBling posted:

I monitor mobiles on eBay for a re-selling business. It's mad that literally half the listings that are popping up have Flappy Bird in the title.

I personally use an Android, but one thought that crossed my mind is if you did actually buy one of these devices with the game pre-installed (and assuming you don't get scammed which is more than likely) wouldn't the iPhone or iPad likely be activation locked?

I know you can turn Find My iPhone off without doing a factory reset, but if you log out of the iTunes store does that take any apps off the device that are tied to the account?

Pretty much this and it's why this is so stupid. If you were to sell your phone with Flappy Bird installed, you'd essentially be giving up your iTunes account with it. Unless you were some kind of psychic (or crazy person) who saw this coming and created a separate account with only this App tied to it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PFlats posted:

I went to make a Genius Bar apt. today in the Apple Store app, and it had a link on the store page for a free download of Tetris. Might be worth seeing if you get one too.

Just went into the Apple Store app and saw this. Thanks!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a chance Hearthstone will be out April 1. But then Blizzard said the iPad version will be playable at PAX East, which starts on April 11. If the game is available on the App Store on April 1, I don't think they would make a big deal about it being playable at PAX.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Are they still planning on having the same account between the PC and iPad versions? I have $250 in Battle.net credit from selling crap on the Diablo 3 RMAH to burn and I'm hoping to spend it on Hearthstone since I don't have a gaming PC anymore.

Yes, you will log in with your battle.net account on your iPad (so card collections, Arena runs will all transfer over). No idea how existing balances on battle.net will work though, since purchasing packs and entering the Arena will go through Apple's payment processing, so presumably the system would look for a balance assigned to your Apple ID before looking at your battle.net account. If that's the case you're better off just logging into Hearthstone on any PC, buying packs, then opening them in the iPad version.

$250, with a little luck opening legendary cards, would be enough to get every useful card in the set.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Hearthstone in the US on my iPad. Just switch your region to Canada in the App Store (or if you have an iTunes balance, create a Canadian account using a phony address), download from the Canadian App Store, then sign back in with your US account. Only takes a couple of minutes.

Also Blizzard has confirmed the game for a full iOS release later this year. So playing the game natively on your iPhone isn't far off. There are jailbreak workaround to get the game to run on an iPhone or you could just use Splashtop to stream it.

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 7, 2014

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SpclKen posted:

Any update on Hearthstone to the us store? Never played and it looks pretty slick.

You could follow the above mention steps for creating a Canadian or NZ iTunes account (like I did to play in the US) or you could wait until later this week or possibly next. Blizzard confirmed that the worldwide launch was 1 - 2 weeks away at PAX East, which started last Friday and ran through Sunday.

I've been playing on my 3rd gen iPad and my 2nd gen iPad mini and there is a noticeable performance difference between the two. The game never crashes on my 3rd gen or anything like that, but it's a much smoother experience on the 2nd gen mini. I probably wouldn't play it on an iPad 2.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SpclKen posted:

I tried this when everyone was talking about it on the original Aussie release, but I have a $15 credit from a giftcard so it won't let me change... I want to play, but not bad enough to just spend it on stuff I don't want to play a couple weeks early, which is exactly why I asked if anyone knew the US release date. Probably should have explained that better...

You could just create a new Apple ID in the NZ or CA region.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

It's like a cool, fairly complex pvp XCOM.

XCOM? I've been playing for months and it's never crossed my mind that it's anything like XCOM.

It's a collectible card game similar to Magic: the Gathering, but without the 20+ years of bloat and steep learning curve that comes with MtG. It has a reasonably fair free to play model. The basic cards are earned by leveling up each of the nine classes, rarer cards are acquired through packs (you receive 5 cards with at least 1 rare per pack) with in game gold (packs are 100g/pack). Gold is earned by completing a daily quest (worth 40, 60 or 100 gold) or by competing in The Arena (you also get 10g for every three games won regardless of mode). Many players have achieved the highest possible rank (Legend) without every spending a dime.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Notorious QIG posted:

tuyop was describing Frozen Synapse.

Okay I was totally mixed up.

Frozen Synapse is good too.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shwqa posted:

Ouch. My tab so far is

$60 on PAD ($20 for every 1.5 months I played)

$30 on DoT. That was a huge mistake. Even though I got multiple of the best unit, that power creep made my units weak within a month.

$24 on pocket knights. It is a strange number but that got me to VIP4.

$20 on hearthstone. I wanted to support the game, because I am having fun.

This list makes me feel very :negative: but I guess I could have done worse in 3 years.

I've spent over $150 on Hearthstone and don't regret a penny of it. It's literally the only game I've been playing for months.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I love that game but haven't bothered disenchanting. Can you explain how that makes you gold or whatever?

You should also check the Hearthstone thread for disenchanting advice. It's generally a good idea to not dust anything unless you have more than two of it, but it can be very tempting for new players to dust anything because they are single minded about a particular deck.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I bought Broken Age based solely on the hype from when it was released on PC over the winter. Seems absolutely delightful so far.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Yeah I think they said in an interview it's planned by the end of the year. We probably won't get a certain release date until 3 or 4 weeks out knowing blizzard, though

I really expect we will see the iPhone/Android ports before the next expansion. I'm really curious to see how try re-design the UI and game board to fit the iPhone screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Emirates and Qantas.

Seatguru.com has been pretty accurate for me when searching available amenities for certain flights.

• Locked thread