Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Recommendations I have not seen yet:

Pro Strategy Football - American Football/Handegg simulator on your phone. Focuses more on the strategy and player management than the actual action during plays - you can turn off animations of the plays altogether. Really fleshed out in terms of strategy options - you can run the clock or run no-huddle plays, you can customize every receiver's route for normal passing plays, etc.

9 Innings Baseball 2011 - A baseball simulator for both games and team management. Get new players by purchasing booster packs in game for a chance at a new player. One of the slicker baseball games that doesn't shove IAP down your throat and lets you control pitching and hitting. Avoid the 2013 version, it's surprisingly terrible.

Super Monsters Ate My Condo - Sequel to the fantastic Monsters Ate My Condo, another Match-3 with really unique mechanics. Pieces fall from the sky and stack on top of each other, and the stack is flanked by two monsters. Feed unnecessary pieces to the monsters to form matches - make sure you feed them colored pieces they like though, or they'll try to knock over the tower! Matched pieces form special pieces you can feed to the monsters to activate cool special abilities like time freeze or double points. The mechanics are not so insane as it seems, and the game teaches you all the mechanics very well in its tutorial levels. Changes from the previous game include a 2 minute time limit, and the inclusion of boosts, endless runner style.

Yes, I love America and its sports :| Quick recommendations for games I've already seen:

Letterpress - My favorite asynchronous game at the moment. Fantastic UI, interesting mechanics, can lend itself to cheating though.

Puzzlejuice - Tetris and Boggle's puzzle-sex child. Great soundtrack, really good for flaunting your high score to friends who play as well.

Punch Quest - This is the best endless runner on the app store, hands down.

Kingdom of Dragon Pass - It has it's own thread, but it bears mentioning here too because it's one of the most engrossing games on the platform. Choose Your Own Adventure and 4X sex child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

LIMBO KING posted:

Great adventure game The Last Express is on sale for $2.99.

Throwing in my recommendation for this one. The game still looks great, even on the iPhone screen, and the story/puzzle mechanics are well done as well. There's an auto-save and rewind mechanic so you aren't constantly save scumming that eases a lot of frustrations too. The only issue I had with it was the controls, which were a little funky at times and inconsistent, but nothing you can't get used to. It's an adventure game through and through though, think twice if you even remotely dislike the genre, even at the discounted price.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

For Blockheads: Are games stored on devices or clouded? How well does it play between a phone and a pad?

It's free so you could try both, but I find myself wishing I had a pad to play it on because the phone doesn't have a lot of real estate for the tap to move.

On the plus side it supports portrait mode on the phone. Hello new bus game.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there a harvest moon like game for iOS?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

On the Life is Magic bandwagon as Rylai, a Mage. Add me!

Related: is the only way to buy most new spells with Crystals? Do you get Crystals any other way than IAP? As a Mage it feels like I'm kind of reliant on my spells, unlike that is the case for other classes too

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I highly recommend everyone get Ascension and Summoner Wars. I picked up Penny Arcade just in time for some weekend traveling.

The "Everything" Bundle in Summoner Wars is only a buck too - and it DOES give you every other purchase in the store. I don't even play this game very often!

Somebody help me, I may have an App Store addiction :ohdear:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Zwilnik posted:

Buying IAP with random results (like packs of trading cards) was huge in Japan, but supposedly a new law has banned it (or severely restricted it), impacting a lot of the big publishers.

I wonder where the line is drawn then, and I find it pretty telling about the Japanese gaming community/culture that the government needed to legislate that

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Rei_ posted:

So I've run into this weird problem where I'm using the iPhone instead of my 3DS on the bus because honestly I like being able to listen to poo poo while playing games. I've really been enjoying Fairway Solitaire, and Punch Quest (and I've like, 100%'ed Jetpack Joyride and Middle Manager of Justice.). I like games that move at that pace, like I can pick it up and make some progress and fill some bars and do some things, but the action feels a bit more involved than say, a Tiny Tower where I'm just clicking buttons and watching the game play itself. However, it's an iPhone, so a game like Hundreds is probably too complicated for the smaller screen. I'm not sure what other games to look into though.

Look into the Kairosoft catalog. Game Dev Story, Racing Story or whatever it's called, Pocket League Story, Astro Story, Dungeon Village, and Restaurant Story sound right up your alley. The first two are generally considered the best though

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dewgy posted:

I keep wanting to like Agent Dash, but is there a way to make the gem collecting a little less grindy? I can generally get to Jungle 2 or Lab 2 before dropping and even with slow mo and gem attack I can't make enough back to justify those crappy boosts they keep trying to push on me every time I restart.

Why take Slo Mo? It's been a while since I played but it seems like the only use for it is during the shooting parts, and that doesn't (didn't?) count towards getting gems.

I'd take no boosts or maybe just Gem Attack as boosts, and farm gems that way.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

How come it was removed?

Some one else published it, said publishing company is in charge of putting it on the App Store, and Capy says they've been trying to work something out with them as far back as 2 years ago or so

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

KGBAgent185 posted:

With a "Game Over" screen. You had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

:clint:

He's the topppppppp of the west. Always cooooolll he's the best.

Excited for the new game, Nimbledudes.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

I would play the hell out of that game.

We almost had it

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

goferchan posted:

Pixel People has a 1-time 99 cent "double all speeds, forever" IAP purchase, but the option can be buried a good way into the "game" depending on what you decide to build first. Kind of interesting they don't offer it to you up-front

Wait how do I get this

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

frogbs posted:

I keep seeing people post about this. Is it iPad only? I can never find it when I search for it. I hope an iphone version comes out soon....

Yep.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Coq au Nandos posted:

I'm looking for either something Pokemon-y or Fire Emblam/X-COM-y to play on my iPad. Are there some must-plays in either of those genres?

There's a WIP xcom clone I forget the name of. Alien Invasion maybe? Otherwise, Ravenmark and the Hunters series come highly recommended.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

Anyone got a review for Clash of Clans? IO see it's very very popular, but would like a goon to tell me if it's Farmville with a combat skin attached.

It is a very, very slick Farmville-alike with somewhat strategic combat skin attached. After a certain point you are still watching timers ticking down.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It can be, but I find it to be the perfect "one-hand game" in portrait mode.

:fap: Kidding, one-handed games are what make my morning bus rides bearable.

Nthing praise for Nimblequest and Ridiculous Fishing, not that they really need it. A game that is a little dated but I find myself spending a lot of time playing since I finished Ridiculous Fishing is Pro Strategy Football 2012. It's not really as fully fleshed out like a console Football game but it's great for the bus rides I miraculously get a seat.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there any recommendation what to upgrade first in Nimble Quest or is all pretty equivalent

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Corridor posted:

Is there a Tiny Tower thread? I have no idea what all the numbers and coloured tabs mean in the Bitizens menu. Also is there a reason to visit bros like in Happy Street, or is it just to check out the goofy names?

Might be in archives now. Don't remember specifically what the tabs you are referring to are, but there shouldn't be a reason to visit friends' towers except for fun.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Slayin is totally worth the dollar, for any fence sitters. TouchArcade did a pretty spot on review as to why, and says it way better than I ever could in this post

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sometimes a publisher pulls it too, and the game developer can't get them to put it back on e.g. Critter Crunch

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Puzzles and Dragons.

Oh god why did I recommend this. Escape while you still can!

Except it's not iPhone 5 optimized, as far as screen real estate is concerned. Great game though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

DNK posted:

The one true roguelike that we're all waiting for is Desktop Dungeons.

It's the most tantalizing not-on-my-phoneware that is being-developed-for-my-phoneware. I made a post almost 10 months ago on their forums where the dev said that it's being developed in Unity and will definitely have a port, but god drat come on.

e: I should mention that their forums (and the dev) is quite active, so the game isn't in limbo. It's just in permanent Blizzard Beta status.

Shoot, someone should just port the "alpha" one that you could download and didn't require playing on the browser andI would drop serious cash for it alone

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Corridor posted:

Don't include a link or name or anything.
Gargoyle ruins - EDIT: A wild mod appears! Mod tries "not being lazy." It's super effective.

iTunes Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrJMtKPwXFQ

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 19, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

TRAINS

https://vine.co/v/bPvh0miU1Aj

What in the hell is this beautiful poo poo? Tell me it's real nimblebros.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I have played block fortress for about 45 minutes and as far as I can tell I cannot place power blocks at all past the first round. The menu says they only cost 15, but every time I try to buy one it says I don't have enough money. What gives? Is there a resource beyond money and available blocks that I need to place them :confused:

There's dollars ($) and minerals (M). Your mineral count is to the right of your dollar count. Minerals are accumulated by having mineshafts over those blocky mineral deposits.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

duckfarts posted:

It's deeper than it seems at first glance and becomes about leveling up/evolving your guys and strategizing team balance along with the puzzle stuff, and that's what leads people to sperg out over it and drop cash. If it's indeed the same as Angel Salvation(the version of the game most goons were exposed to first), the first two "runthroughs" are cakewalks, and the third or fourth one(I forget) becomes sudden bullshit that requires massive leveling.

There is an equivalent point in Puzzle and Dragons, but it's farther in and it comes across as more of a "hey, you should pay attention to things you didn't need to worry about before." Also keep in mind the IAP currency is used for the equivalent of those toy dispensers that are the rage in Japan - buying magic stones just gives you more chances are strong monsters, it doesn't guarantee them.

Echoing the disappointment in Star Command for every reason already stated as well.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

petewhitley posted:

The decline in quality of those games kills me. I played them religiously until they went IAP. The soccer game was great too.

What kills me is 9 Innings suffered the same fate. If I could get an updated roster and retina graphics but the same core experience for 9 Innings 2011 I would buy it again for like 5 dollars.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sad lions posted:

Just tried it and my only real gripe is having to obscure the road ahead in order to steer to avoid the things I am partially blind to when steering. Otherwise it's freakin fantastic and feels surprisingly fresh for an infinite runner. Also reminds me slightly of a Paul Robertson animation.

You can swipe the control buttons to the right corner to move them there. Then you can use your left thumb to steer and right thumb to accelerate/shoot. It's a bit weird, not sure if I like it better but it's worth a try

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Merchant to the Stars requires iOS 6.1 FYI. I'm stuck on 6.0 since I'm jailbroken and the most current iOS version isn't jailbreakable.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Apocron posted:

Didn't someone have some new spoilery advice along the lines of if you're going to play FFT you should get auto potion on the main character in chapter some thing by doing something to save yourself a world of hurt?

Auto-potion is one of the better reaction skills in the game because you can earn it early and it's easily "exploited" - with it equipped, upon taking damage a character will (usually, not always) use the weakest potion in the team inventory on him/herself. If you only carry one type of potion, hopefully the strongest affordable one, you'll use that one. As far as getting it on your main character, there are a few points in the game where he is either straight up fighting alone or he's separated from the rest of your group. Auto potion provides extra survivability no matter what class you are.

Honestly though the game is made hilariously easy in a bunch of ways if you really study the game mechanics, or if you do random battles to grind more levels/JP since story missions don't scale with your level.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

yulia tymotebow posted:

Trying again: Is Pro Strategy Football still the best option as far as (American) football games? I played Big Win Football but wasn't really that impressed with it.

It's the only American Football game I've even seen recommendations for. It's pretty fun, but you have to realize you play basically play the coach and not the quarterback. Also the play book is very simple compared to Madden and what not - no Dime defense, no Pistol offense, etc, just the basics like Near/Far and general inside/outside runs. I don't regret my purchase but I definitely wish there were more variety of plays

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had finally convinced myself I wasn't going to play it why must you do this to me. :cry:

8pm EST?

I'm guessing PST, but I could be wrong. Regardless, the Rare Egg Machine button (you'll learn about it in the tutorial) will have a small caption that says "GODFEST!" or some such when it's actually active. Check out the thread and read all of the tips for starting out and really take it to heart if you don't want to buy IAP at any point in the future.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Bummey posted:

After a lot of resetting, the best I got during this Godfest was Baal ("Okay" according to the P&D nerds), only to find out that I couldn't use it until some mysterious time in the future.

That time is now. Everything dies pretty much instantly with this thing, even when it's the only monster in my party. I can see why you nerds advocate rerolling a million times during the Godfest. It's not worth the time spent doing it, obviously, but it sure makes the game not completely terrible. Getting to the point where I could actually use Baal with the regular rear end podunk monsters was tedious at best, with how quickly the game started to sloowww doowwwnnn, but I could see continuing with those same monsters turn into a major grind in fuse/coin costs alone. So, uhh, thanks for nothing? Something? A little bit?

Besides, what else am I going to do with my life? Stop playing this game when it becomes clear that I'm going to need to spend money to progress, but until then..

I would not have played PAD as much a I have if I did not have 6+ real life friends who also did. The dependence on pal monsters at a higher level is either awesome or dumb depending on your perspective.

That said, the game is absolutely not one you can marathon and derive enjoyment from in a short amount of time. It is still a stamina/day by day kind of game a la FarmVille. It deals with that structure very well many ways, a few being special events and handing out IAP currency but you really aren't digging how you can't play through progression on your own time and need to play day by day for optimal efficiency, it is not the game for you - sorry Bummey :(

^ the nethack comparison is slightly unfair because when you actually get good monsters in PAD you keep them forever, which leads to a sense of permanent accomplishment. Also coins aren't a "Oh in an hour of play they will be irrelevant" but a "Oh, after I kind of get mechanics and run a weekend only dungeon they'll be relevant" which isn't really better but take that as you will.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 2, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Check out PAD-Z for the 3DS if you want a no-IAP variation of the game. And PAD is giving out about $8 worth of stones on an almost biweekly basis now that events are syncing up with Japan's where they basically get free stones for everything.

Puzzle Dragon Z isn't out yet, not even in Japan.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

So PAD is pretty fun. I eventually said gently caress it and stopped rerolling after acquiring Apollo because :effort: and the game is only minimally difficult with some luck, though it requires a decent helper sometimes.

You will never stop requiring a decent helper. If you begin to play "seriously" I really recommend checking out the IRC channel, a lot of people sit there, talk shop about the game, and are usually willing to put up/refresh a helper if you need it.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

^^^ Puzzlejuice isn't head to head but I would compare high scores with my friends for weeks when it first came out.

Evil Fluffy posted:

E: ^^^^ For someone that has never touched WoW and doesn't plan to, is there a short summary somewhere of what you're referring to?

The addon looked at someone's currently equipped items and calculated a number to represent overall how good your gear was. Different pieces have different values, and I think where it fit on a character (head, chest, etc) made a difference too. Your gear score came to pretty much define what groups/raids/dungeons people would do with you IIRC.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Just do the event 6 times and you get one decent monster. :v:

Meanwhile in PAD land, I'm enjoying the free monster they gave out today (with a free premium currency) that has the stats and ability of a god. And last event they also give out a monster with a leadership ability of a god.

You still have to evolve the Droid twice, even if it's XP curve is gentle and the evo mats easy to scrape together, so it's not like "Here is a Shiva for you, no fine print." But yeah it's nice. (Who was the previous monster they gave out?)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

jerkstore77 posted:

So Pocket Trains is coming out today. How similar is this to Pocket Planes exactly? Planes was probably the NB game I played the least. I think I remember the reason being that getting the bigger planes actually limited the routes you got which turned me off a bit. I like the "everything gets bigger and better the more you play" model like in Tiny Tower.

Nimblebet, let me know if this is kosher to say or not.

You're never limited by getting new train engines, but the core experience remains pretty similar to pocket planes - the "optimal" design is again a long route with hubs at set intervals with jobs being fed into and laid over there, with those jobs being baton passed from hub to hub. There's a lot of small tweaks to address some problems with Pocket Planes:

- Jobs never refresh and there's no "full load to a single destination" bonus either, so you aren't watching the timer tick down and hoping for a single job to get that bonus (there's also a single kind of load - no passenger vs cargo dilemmas).
- You acquire train parts by delivering a special kind kind of cargo, which you then acquire (like the other two currencies, bux/coins) and then opening it, getting a random train part based on your level, instead of waiting for that timer to refresh in the Pocket Plane store to see what new plane parts are for sale.
- No more Flightcrew stuff, instead your daily event is always in your railroad network (as opposed to in Pocket Planes when it could be in a continent you had no access to)
- There's a fuel mechanic - trains can only be traveling for so long before they need to refuel - you can either wait or pay bux. This sounds like a IAP-impetus but bux jobs seem to occur more frequently and for way more cash than in Pocket Planes. Also the refuel cost is pretty small - I usually find myself in an abundance of bux.

I'm enjoying it but I enjoyed Pocket Planes a decent amount too. It's obviously no cost to you (besides time) to try it out but if you did not enjoy Pocket Planes I don't see why you'd enjoy much of Tiny Trains.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

JDM3 posted:

Speaking of this - when I have a mega-blast ultra-match jillion point multi-hit on Puzzles and Dragon the animation slows way down. Is this supposed to happen, or is it just a result of playing on an iPhone 4?

Your phone. My friend has a 4 and it's tortuous even navigating the monster box on it compared to my 4S.

• Locked thread