Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Rumda posted:

Just bought vicky 2 on steam and it keeps crashing on initialising maplogic, I've tried verifying the local files on steam but no dice, is there any thing I can do?

Go delete the map cache in your Vic 2 map folder inside the Paradox folder in My Documents, then go to your Steam folder and launch the game directly from there with v2game.exe. It should build everything and load up fine. You can launch it through the steam interface normally after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
AI Castille has done pretty well for itself

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I feel like that EU3 remix video posted earlier missed out on some kind of Dub Steppe joke.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Tahirovic posted:

You could occupy it in a war and see if you can manually call the Defection event. Not sure what kind of problems that could cause with your save game tough.
Or get Bill of Rights, iirc forcing the release of nations costs less warscore than conquering the provinces.
From what I understand, in EU3+ you will be given the option of 'grabbing' a province in the same culture group as you, or a province that you have a core or possibly a temp claim (conquest mission). It's an event that fires shortly after occupying an eligible province for at least 3 years. It costs 10 infamy if you have no core on it, and 5 infamy if you do, but that's probably way better than amassing all of the infamy you'd need to take on in order to isolate that province first.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Vegetable posted:

Without a proper Casus Belli each province costs 10 infamy. I only can use Fabricated Claims CB and get each province for 3 infamy but as far as I know, only one province per war. So it's still a ton of waiting between multiple wars.

I've never seen that event, but the regular infamy to take a province is already 10 (without CB).
Right, but if all you need is Wien, you border it, and you can't take it by itself in a single war, it might be worth it to take advantage of the land-grabbing event. They aren't rare. If you occupy a province in your culture group, or one that you have a core or maybe temp claim on, you will get the offer after 3+ years of continuous occupation. I used the same thing as The Ottomans to take Cairo from the Mamluks after I'd already conquered the thin strip of land along the Mediterranean from them in an earlier war. Cairo was directly south of me, but it would have been extremely costly to isolate it since it had a port.

Tahirovic posted:

And Kersch did you ever think about making a more economy based mod? You already made tradegoods more fun but I could see a mod with more/changed buildings, some decisions and events being very interesting.
I did make a province decision that tried to add pop growth at the cost of local_tax but that didn't really seem to work, not to mention it's kinda hard to get the balance right. (Ever had a province that could build Galleons in 3 days? I did.)
Right now I just feel like I always want to have infamy, time spent at 0 infamy feels like wasted time. As I can't integrate provinces quick enough on my own I always have vassals and extend their territory by conquering and selling provinces. I'd prefer to use some of that manpower and money to actually build up my current provinces.
Haha, yeah things can get pretty wacky if you mess with modifiers enough. I remember in an earlier version of the Death and Taxes mod that I tried several months ago where there were so many ways to stack -% land tech cost that I was getting a new rank every 3-4 months. I finally locked my land tech growth when it capped out at "275 years ahead of its time" in like the 1670s.

And to be honest, I haven't really thought of modding for a while. Any time I've spent with EU3 lately has been spent trying out the EU3Plus betas.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Just finished a vanilla scenario game of EU3+ 1.04 as the Ottomans. Played all the way to the end date (1836):

A few observations:
Ming just completely fell apart relatively early in the game and Qin became the strongest successor state, but it failed to reunite with the other breakaway states and instead pushed into central Asia. There's a tiny Shu, Nan Han, Qi, and even the remnants of Ming that they never really paid much attention to.

Kanem Bornu modernized and annihilated everything else in West/Central Africa. You'd end up seeing situations such as: Spain goes to war with Morocco, Kanem Bornu joins in to aid Morocco, sails to South America and occupies half of Spain's colonies.

Denmark inherited Norway pretty early, then inherited Sweden many decades later and formed Scandinavia. They had a huge amount of success pushing into the HRE and holding onto what they took. They colonized and conquered natives in North America, but managed to hold onto their colonies when colonial separatism started to hit. I think they only lost a few midwest provinces to the really strong New England revolter. Someone forced them to release Samiland in like 1829 or so, but aside from that they had the peninsula pretty much locked down for 300+ years.

Milan spent the majority of the game as the emperor of the HRE, and during that time managed to use the added strength to *almost* form Italy. I have a feeling if the game ran another 100 years or so, they'd finish it up (maybe).

Great Britain was actually doing well for some time. They had the British Isles unified and colonized New England, the western coast of North America, and I think parts of South America. Someone forced them to release Scotland as part of a peace deal at some point, and Scotland proved to be a huge thorn in their side, going to war with them at the drop of a hat. Colonial revolters had free reign to run around occupying all of Britain's colonies during those wars, prompting the huge independent New England, Cascadia, and possibly Mexico.

Poland inherited Lithuania and stayed huge for the entire game. They had their fingers in pretty much everything. Whenever I went to war with anything to my north, I could count on Poland getting called in due to an alliance, a sphere, or a guarantee.

France consolidated all of their minors and remained powerful through the entire game. They had basically every French culture/region province, but never gained cores on or made any moves against Brittany. They colonized well and managed to hold onto the majority of their colonies.

Russia didn't do well at all. The Russia tag formed with several hundred years left in the game, but they kind of just sat there. I don't think they made any noteworthy pushes into Asia, Scandinavia, Belorussia, or anything. Poland probably played a big role in them not advancing west or southwest, but I don't know what was keeping them from going after the tribal nations to their south and east.

Hindustan formed and did extremely well. They ended up with a huge Delhi just to their north, but they slowly chipped away at them through the course of the game.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Wiz posted:

I've noticed Russia underperforming consistently due to the AI being really reluctant to expand. Really not sure what the deal is.

Though I've noticed that they expand much more aggressively in the Azeri scenario. They shoot for the Pacific coast nearly every time, it's just the vanilla scenario where they stumble.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jazerus posted:

EU3+ disables assaults. Sieges progress more quickly to compensate.

And yes, conquest missions have been nerfed a little.

Assaults aren't totally disabled as of the 5.2 beta in EU3+. Armies set to auto-hunt rebels (and possibly armies owned by AI controlled nations) will launch assaults sometimes. It is true though that you can't initiate them yourself.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

theghostpt posted:

I've been playing a bit more with EU3+ and I have a question, is it possible to keep a low inflation at all? Advisers take a measly 0.01% and full centralization takes out like 0.02% (or was it 0.2%). My inflation is growing steadily but everyone else is 0, only a couple of Muslim countries have some inflation and it's like 1% or so. I have to mint a ton with Naples to not go bankrupt, if I'm in war I have to move the slider so much that I start accumulating 0.5% inflation a year...

Is it supposed to be like this or am I missing something? :confused:
I've had successful Eu3+ games where I've built up as much as like 20-30% inflation before bringing it back down later. Depending on who you start as, it's just too important to start building up to your forcelimits as soon as possible. You can't afford to do that just with the cash you start with. It's also tough to lay down your initial foundation of economic buildings if you're maintaining a standing army near your forcelimits too, so a little minting to get up some workshops at least is pretty understandable. Later on when you have the gold standard, a tax assessor, national bank, and/or some good advisors you can bring it back down.

The AI gets extra inflation reduction, so don't try to compare your own inflation strategy with how the AI is handling theirs or you'll get frustrated. You'll probably need to mint even more if you're doing any colonization or maintaining a bunch of active missionaries. Naval powers probably need to mint more too, because ships are expensive.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I tried infantry = artillery armies for a bit, but it makes it really easy for a large army of yours to get boned when your infantry starts dropping out from morale loss and your artillery has nothing guarding it anymore. I think that something along the lines of 12/4/4 might be more resilient than 8/4/8.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I played a game of MEIOU with another person earlier in the 5.2 beta, so unless something has changed, it should work with the latest EU3 DW beta patch.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Vodos posted:

I tried a game of EU3 MEIOU over the weekend. They added a lot more bonuses and penalties to sliders, NIs, advisors and buildings, making all that stuff more interesting at first, it just gets too much after a while. Some of the bonuses even break the tooltips when you get a sizable country (which is bound to happen since they added hundreds of provinces). For example the tooltip for government tech research can't tell me what research is coming up anymore since every tier 2 government building adds 0.3 to the research and all I can see now is a huge list of +0.3 that goes to the bottom of my screen. Same for magistrates/merchants/missionaries, I can't see how many I get per year because some trade building / monk orders add 0.1 each.
Inheriting from a PU gives you cores regardless of culture or whatever, so Ive been abusing the hell out of marriages and the Fabricate Claim spy action and have been eating my way through the HRE.
When I got to the point where I could colonize I was still in the "early colonization" time period , netting me "only" 7 colonists a year. So I went to discover the Caribbean and South Africa, not only does everything have 2-3 times as many provinces as vanilla (Madagascar has 8 provinces) but every single province I found has a base tax of 1. I grabbed Haiti and Cuba (11 provinces total) and everything had corn or fish... gently caress this mod.

When I tried MEIOU a few months ago, it seemed like all colonies started at 1 tax base but you'd intermittently get the option to just increase the tax base in specific colonies with a small investment or with the acceptance of additional revolt risk there or something. Also, I think that their trade goods could possibly change to something more valuable later.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
The advantage of galleys is that a Mediterranean or Baltic power with say 50 naval force limits can probably run around their backyard with like 120 galleys and 20 transports and still spend less on naval maintenance than the ocean-faring guy with 50 naval force limits who has 30 big ships and 20 transports. You won't win with galleys against big ships at a 1:1 or even 2:1 ratio but there comes a point where you can overwhelm them, and you can do it pretty cheaply. If you need to leave the seas for any reason, you should probably avoid them.

Don't try to maintain even a single big ship if you try to use the strategy of going way over your force limits, though. That one big ship will cost a fortune in maintenance if you're way over your limits.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 23, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm currently involved in an EU3 game playing as a naval power, and I'm really wishing that I had a 'detach obsolete' button on my navies which split off vessels from a lower naval tech tier.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Is there anyone out there who feels generous and still has one of those EU3: Chronicles keys stowed away from the big giveaway a while back? I have a friend who wants to give the game a try, so I figured it might be worth asking.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Friend Commuter posted:

PMed you mine.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yours probably got there first :v: Guess there's probably a couple of us out there.

Woah, thanks! I'm passing Friend Commuter's key along to my buddy. I really appreciate this.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Mainz is being a maverick in this latest EU3+ game.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

StrifeHira posted:

So recently decided to try my hand at an Ikko-Ikki -> Republic of Japan game (first time I've ever dealt with a Shogunate game in EU3+). I've been managing it well, saved Korea from the Manchus and put up a puppet state there, started up a few colonies, and then I check to see Europe...

...I really hope Italy can keep Espanha occupied, because... Christ, that's a lot of colonies. :psyduck:

That's the first time I've seen AI Portugal do so well. And yet Galicia still revolted/was released by them. Galicia and Cornwall, man, there's something about those guys.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Wiz posted:

Only if I can name the highest level of Overextension "Jesus christ, just stop conquering provinces you don't need already".

Name it Euroslavasia

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Johann, can you tell the people in that Steam thread on the Paradox forums that going from older forms of distribution to Steam is like going from masturbation to sex with 50 million people?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jabarto posted:

Modding question: is there any reason that a triggered modifier could fire over and over again? I've been doing some stuff with MiscMods Expanded and now the Baltic/Black Sea sound toll events show up every couple of months. It doesn't happen with any of the others and I'm completely baffled by how this is possible.

The 5.2 beta has different sound toll events than 5.1. If you drop a mod that perpetuates some of the old, 5.1 sound toll stuff into a 5.2 installation of EU3, that will happen. I have a 5.2 compatibility patch for Expanded that should fix that particular problem among others. It's in this post on the paradox forums: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?528878-%28MOD%29-MiscMods&p=14231574&highlight=#post14231574

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Useless Shotgun posted:

The flavor text during battles is amazing by the way. Really just get the game for that.
Could you give an example of what you're talking about here?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
So, when the Papal State was wiped out, it picked Catholic converted Granada to become the new Papal State.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Will there ever be a Jules Verne-esque Vic 2 DLC with a martian invasion or something?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

MC2552John posted:

I like Death & Taxes for the extra missions for the larger nations and the larger importance put on sliders and National Ideas, along with a few other changes and the extended timeline (Golden Bull of 1356 to end of WW1 in 1918)

I just started a multiplayer game of D&T with a couple of people, and it's basically like playing god-mode after playing several MP games of EU3Plus immediately before it. It is fun for a change, though we had to end up changing the map overlay and ocean textures so that the zoomed out map didn't look like a butt.

Fintilgin posted:

I haven't tried Death & Taxes, I suppose I should. I tend to automatically assume that any of the huge mega mods are buggy messes filled with inexplicable weirdness and questionable 'rebalances' that run like molasses because they added 5000 tags for minor irrelevant nations.
I wouldn't say that D&T is like that. Whether or not you like their balance and design choices, it's pretty well put together.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Voice idea: change the coin jingle sound effect for when the month ticks over to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Based on the URL alone, I was expecting this to be a MEN'S edition, like the vanilla game wasn't patriarchal enough or something.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, just got a quick (hopefully, anyway!) question for you all, in regards to vanilla CK2 + expansions. So, can anyone tell me how I can switch the primary holding in a county to be the city? Since I remember it being a fairly simple process at release, where you'd just need to own the current primary holding and the city in question, so that you can then switch the primary holding to be the city, in the county info screen. But yeah, I can't seem to do that anymore, sadly. Am I missing some hopefully minor change in how to do this, or am I just forgetting something? Since yeah, I would like to be able to play as the Most Titular Republic of the Isle of Man! :D (or somewhere similar, up north)

Thanks

EDIT: I suppose I should add that after changing the primary holding, I intend on creating a vassal in both the city - now the primary holding - as well as the other barony, then releasing the mayor/grand mayor/whatever with the rest of the county being under his control, then saving and reloading as him.

So you currently hold a castle and a city there in your personal demesne? Create a mayor in the city, then grant that mayor the title to the county. That'll make his city the primary holding there. You'll need to grant him a Duchy title too, because county-level mayors aren't considered merchant republics and thus aren't playable.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, alright cool thanks, I'll try that out after. Although, will giving the mayor control over a duchy he doesn't own all the counties of (that is, that there are counts controlling counties underneath him, rather than minor feudal lords/baronies) create issues with his vassals? Since will they all want to rise up and claim it from him, or will they be fine with some lowborn merchant controlling the duchy?

Oh also, how can I get it so that all the major houses in the republic own a city each? Should I just give the mayor four other cities as vassals - which would hopefully allocate each of the families a city, so they have more than their mansion - or will I need to do a bit of fiddling around to get that to work?
The merchant republic mayor will have a pretty minor opinion penalty with the feudal counts under him, maybe -5 or -10. It shouldn't cause much of a problem. As for giving the other patricians cities to hold - you could, but I don't think it'll stay in their family beyond the life of the character you grant it to. Trade posts and mansions will give the other families plenty of income once they get rolling.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm going to have to say that the cutest part of my last EU3 game was Hungary Whale.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Remember when you read the last EU4 dev diary and it mentioned the fact that provincial decisions were not going to be in EU4? Remember how betrayed you felt, how much you felt like the final nail had been driven into the EU4 coffin? Remember? Provincial decisions? Hello? Anybody? Well the Paradox forums has its share of PDLs (provincial decision lovers) who were pretty upset.

quote:

I was excited not for its base game, but for its modding potential. The Provincial Decisions are essential for that. EU4 just won't be EU for me under these circumstances.

quote:

My enthusiasm is waning, though. As a (probably apocryphal) British admiral said, when armor was adopted, "First Steam, and now this."

quote:

And whats the hate on Province decisions? modders need it, it was a feature of the past, bring it back now.

Dese God derm New features kickem mah old features of derm Jerbs.

quote:

With the minimal changes of warfare and now provincial decisions gone, i think that game gonna be bad like war of the roses vs chivalry bad

quote:

Well Mods cant go deeper, so i guess making mods would be easier, just whip out a map, add countries, done?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jazerus posted:

So I haven't played EU3 since before the 5.2 beta patch. I see that Miscmods has sort of died and Kersch was working on an expanded version, but I can't track down what the latest 5.2b-compatible Miscmods version is or where to download it. Anyone have a link?

This is my expanded Miscmods experiment which I haven't really added anything to in a long time. It's a standalone mod, and you need to delete your current miscmods folder before installing it. It's for 5.1, but can be made compatible with 5.2 using a compatibility patch. Here's MiscMods Expanded:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53665060/MiscModsExpanded1_0.zip

And here is the 5.2 compatibility patch for it. You just need to plop it into the installation of Miscmods Expanded:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53665060/miscmod799-5.2fix-1.3.rar

Kersch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 13, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

ThePutty posted:

CK2 is the best game ever and doesn't suffer from any of this

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Fintilgin posted:

Installed fresh Miscmods .799 and the compatability patch, and the game crashes to the desktop instantly on mousing over any build manufactory button.

I think it might be because the fixes buildings.txt file is calling for trade goods that don't exist, like hemp?

Edit: Yeah, putting the standard miscmods building file back in fixes the crash

Oh hey, I guess at some point I tailored the compatibility patch for the expanded version of Miscmods and then forgot about it. Sorry about that!

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I took the plunge and picked up HoD, so I'm finally going to take a shot at learning how to play Victoria 2. What are some fun things to try while learning the game? I've seen Belgium and Japan mentioned, and I remember seeing people mention that a released New England is fun. What other nations or areas are fun to figure the game out with? Or alternatively, are there any universal first-timer tips I should keep in mind?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

AtomikKrab posted:

Incidently In CKII+ I won the crusade as Venice and released an independant merchant republic headquartered in Acre... they got patricians then moved to jerusalem which promptly became unselectable, can't see into the province at all.

Sounds like they evolved into a higher form of consciousness and slipped into a pocket dimension that exists outside of our reality.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm trying to acclimate myself to Victoria 2 with a Brazil game, and I have a pile of questions.

Regarding pops:
What should my priorities be when it comes to promoting my pops? From what I've seen on the last few pages, it looks like I should try to promote bureaucrats in order to get high admin efficiency in all my states, and then clergy for literacy - but how much clergy? Also, what's a good percentage of capitalists to aim for in each state? And do I need to promote pops to craftsmen and clerks prior to factories being opened, or wait until my capitalists decide to build something before promoting those. From what I saw on a wiki, it sounds like you want to have about 80% craftsmen and 20% clerks per factory - is that accurate?

National focus:
Is there a 'no-brainer' option you'd want to set your national focuses (foci?) to if you don't have an immediate need to promote any particular pops? Should they just be set to promote whatever political party you're aiming for in your most populated states, or is it more worthwhile to promote specific industries?

Factories:
Oh also, does the location of your factories matter in relation to a particular state's RGO? So if my country has several states that produce wood, do I want to put furniture factories out there in the wilderness, or would they have the same operating costs or efficiency no matter where they're built in my country?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pops:
You have it mostly right - first get 100% admin efficiency (use the budget screen to check, NOT per-state Bureaucrat numbers)
Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to raise admin efficiency to 100% in every state as well?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What are the generally accepted sliders to skimp on if you're running at a deficit in Victoria 2? I can tell that the education slider affects literacy, but I'm not entirely sure what the administration slider affects, though I can hazard a guess. It looks like there's two ways to cut military funding, by either cutting stockpiled military goods or the military funding slider itself, and it might be good to know which one of those is better to cut if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

So now I can officially monetize my Mount and Blade video

• Locked thread