Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The runes pretty much just do whatever the goddamn hell they want because who is going to argue with a magical force of nature? I certainly wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GulagDolls posted:

the dragon rune chooses its host by taking a careful look at everyone's middle school notebook doodles

It still baffles/amuses me that Murayama just flat out said "yeah, dragons exist because they all came from THE DRAGON UNIVERSE" as opposed to just accepting them as a facet of a fantasy setting as-is. It's a needlessly convoluted extra step that nonetheless exudes a very unique sort of charm. :allears:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

KataraniSword posted:

It still baffles/amuses me that Murayama just flat out said "yeah, dragons exist because they all came from THE DRAGON UNIVERSE" as opposed to just accepting them as a facet of a fantasy setting as-is. It's a needlessly convoluted extra step that nonetheless exudes a very unique sort of charm. :allears:

This reminds me of all those jokes in Buffy about millions of universes, each with their own singular purpose. So in addition to a Suikoden universe where all the dragons come from, maybe somewhere out there is a universe with no shrimp/a universe of nothing but shrimp.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Let's not forget the universe of Fish People and Christmas Trees of Mass Destruction

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Shiki Dan posted:

Let's not forget the universe of Fish People and Christmas Trees of Mass Destruction

No, let's. Really. Please.

yokaiy posted:

Haha, if you want a new one I can draw something for you. Though you've got quite an attractive one as-is. :haw:

Nah, s'alright! This one's still got good mileage to it. Though I do have to second (fifth?) the idea of team wizard cats!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Verant posted:

Though I do have to second (fifth?) the idea of team wizard cats!

I say that we make it canon Geddoe's first team consisted of cats filling various fantasy roles. Swordscat!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Verant posted:

No, let's. Really. Please.

Nah, s'alright! This one's still got good mileage to it. Though I do have to second (fifth?) the idea of team wizard cats!

Some of us actually liked that game

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

cokerpilot posted:

Yes, but that was a stupid concept regardless, holy poo poo.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Raitzeno posted:

Yes, but that was a stupid concept regardless, holy poo poo.

I wouldn't say that. The idea of "cross dimensional shenanigans are dangerous as gently caress because different worlds operate on the different rules" is totally fine! Exposing people to other-dimensional energy transmorgrifying them into weird monsters, great, natives of that dimension suffering from crippling disabilities in this one, good, said dimension being a source of absurd magical energy, all good.

The only actual issue was, y'know, it being the Goat Dimension.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

cokerpilot posted:

Some people read Moon Over June, doesn't make that any more defensible either.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:roflolmao:

I think liking Suikoden IV is somewhat more defensible than that.

Not much more defensible, mind. But more.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
There are likable things about Suikoden IV even if it is a mess.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

It was indeed a mess.
I will admit that it was not as fun as the other ones but it was still fun for me.

It was also my first suikoden due to the suikodeb 3 game I played had a weird bug that made it that every tine you went through the castle in the middle the game crashed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This LP makes me wanna replay Suik3 so bad. It's such a great game when it comes to telling a story.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Geddoe Chapter 3.2 - Iroh Part 3

True Rune in hand (literally), we're ready to face the day's challenges -- providing stealthy support to Thomas and his band of shopkeepers against an organized army.

Of course, we already know how this turns out, but let's get on with it anyway.

The estate looks pretty empty, which is probably a good thing. No NPC casualties that way.

: "Okay."

: "Yes, sir!"

We let the first group pass.

The second group, however...

: "W-Who are you?!"

: "No one of note. And I take issue with the fact you'd chase after little girls like this one."

: "Pick on someone your own size."

: "Let's go."

So, hey. Remember how we have the True Lightning Rune now?

Let's try it out, shall we?

We'll start with the lesser of the two new casts, Thunder Storm.

Since both Geddoe and the rune are amazing, he can throw out the cast before anyone else even gets the chance to move.

The TLR is one of the coolest looking True Runes, in my opinion.

Thunder Storm starts with a giant ball of lightning forming in the sky.

It then drops out of the air.

Tell me that isn't awesome.

Tell me that isn't loving awesome.

All the knights go down immediately.

And then they get put in a nice little pile.

: "Well, it looks like the little boy went toward the manor house. I suppose we should follow."

Good plan.

I'll say. Good job, guys. Save some for us, though.

: "Mr. Piccolo, we're going!"

The pair runs off to meet up with the others.

: "Hmm. They're doing well."

We continue to tail them.

"Right!"

: "Let's hope for the best!"

: "Yeah."

They head inside.

I don't know how they didn't see us walking up the steps after them, but whatever.

: "It looks like they all got in the house safely."

: "They must be planning to defend themselves from there. Good strategy."

: "This castle looks like it has secret passages everywhere. Hope no one else plans on using them."

Meanwhile...

"Oh my..."

: "Wow! How'd you get so strong? Do you have a special diet?"

: "I'm not about to lose to some country gang."

: "drat..."

: "Close your eyes."

Haha, how is this happening so fast?

I think my favorite part of seeing this side of this encounter is that Thomas & Co kept their eyes shut long enough for us to do this.

Are you ready?

:getin:

The only thing that is bad about this is that it is single-target.

Well.

No biggie, I guess.

The didn't even notice.

I find that pretty hilarious, actually.

Dragons. :colbert:

: "What's going on here? Are you responsible for this?"

: "Don't be ridiculous. How could I be? Hurry up, everybody! We have more enemies to face!"

: "They're doing the best they can. If those guys break through here, that's the end of it."

: "I'm just glad we don't have to stick our necks out that much."

"Grr..."

: "What I wouldn't do for another flash of light to strike them down."

: "We have to learn to defend this castle ourselves. We can't depend on help from the outside."

: "You're absolutely right!"

She takes aim.

: "Is that a problem?"

: "Yes, it is!"

: "Oh, right..."

She lowers her bow.

: "It looks like they made a move. They've gone outside."

: "What is this? An invasion into Grassland isn't permitted without a Council resolution. You will have to leave the premises immediately."

The knights shuffle off.

Looks like this situation has mostly resolved itself now.

: "I won't forget this! Next time, we will take this castle -- as your enemy!"

: "I think there's something more important to deal with here, Councilor."

: "Huh?"

: These traitors are causing quite an uproar in Vinay del Zexay. I don't see how you can remain head of the merchant's guild when you've upset the customers so badly."

: "I don't -- I don't know what you're talking about!"

: "Then you'd better hurry back to Vinay del Zexay to prove your innocence -- before they come after you."

: "That's preposterous! Of course I'm innocent!"

He runs off, and the knights turn to Thomas.

: "Mission accomplished, you could say. That's one down..."

: "But it sure was tricky work. I prefer a more straightforward kind of battle."

A. Dragons. That was not tricky at all.

B. You're a spy.

: "Defenders of justice? Are you including me?"

: "Enough with your childish talk."

: "Hey! But it's true... Right, Jacques?"

Everyone looks to him for an answer.

:3:

Leo and Percy pack up an leave, as the castle-folk celebrate.

: "This isn't another one of your cheap novels, so don't get all soppy."

They start bickering, as per usual.

But Geddoe's not paying attention.

Hi, Jimba Wyatt.

: "Yeah. Our work is done. Just as he wanted, this land belongs to neither Zexen nor the Grasslands."

: "But why would he want that?"

: "He wanted freedom for this place. It may have been a mere whim, but I admire his simplicity."

Geddoe and Jimba Wyatt split off from Iroh before they separated from each other.

: "Yeah. In the end I was taken by Grassland. You stayed on the outside, and somehow remained neutral. Many people were able to see a bright future. "

: "I hope that there will come a day when we'll think of it as a form of freedom, rather than a prison."

In the manga, Geddoe admits that the relationship the three was much like a bunch of people suffering from the same disease. It was their curse that brought them together, and they remained comrades because they all shared in each others' suffering.

And then they went their separate ways.

Ah, memories.

: "Well, we actually do have a new mission. Up in the Outlands..."

: "Huh? I don't mind going to see this Flame Champion fellow, but is this really a mission? Well?"

Ace nods with his arms crossed, but is a little flustered by Geddoe's sudden command.

: "And how will we find him without more leads?"

Leads?

Why would Geddoe need a lead to find his friend? If anyone would know where Iroh was aside from Sana, it would be him.

: "How did you come to this deduction, Captain? It's rather sudden, no?"

: "We're mercenaries. All we need is our mission and our payment. There's no need to get nosey about what's behind it."

So says the only one with any inkling into what's going on in Geddoe's head right now.

: "H-Hey, but..."

: "I guess you've got your reasons."

: "I'm sorry. There are some things I can't tell you right now."

Well, they've followed him this far.

: "That's okay. We all have our secrets. We have things about our pasts we haven't told you either. Not even the Defense Force knows everything."

: "That's right."

: "The first objective of the mission is to get information about the Flame Champion. So, to actually go see him shouldn't be a problem at all."

At this point, I think they'd follow him straight into Hell, if that was the direction he started walking.

: "Sort of..."

The Flame Champion Hideaway opens up on the map, revealing Duck Village and Kuput Forest on the way as well. Interestingly, Chisha stays off the map.

On the way, we run into some dragons. I'm incredibly upset that that his level 3 True Lightning cast didn't just straight-up kill them, but Ace and Queen each poked at one for about 100 damage and they keeled over. Maybe in another couple levels he'll be able to drop them in one cast.

Also, his rare-encounter/treasure boss victory thing is entertaining. Hugo does a flip, Chris swings her sword a few times triumphantly, and then Geddoe just goes "meh."

Other things of note include ostriches.

: "Rhett... it's WAY too early for supper."

Ducks.

Texture glitches.

And some levels.

And then we arrive at our destination.

: "It's a better hiding place than some crowded city."

: "They say the Flame Champion doesn't age, right? I wonder how old he really is."

Around 70, if I had to guess.

Ace grins like an idiot.

:haw: His poor foot. He had it coming, though.

: "Lowlife."

Jacques looks around sheepishly.

: "L-Let's go...."

Well, here we are again.

Mordolo's are still weird. This is the biggest and weirdest I've ever seen one get, but it still didn't manage to do anything aside from get killed. Some day, maybe I'll just keep defending and see what happens after enough turns.

Aside from that, there are some Nariqua's lounging around with some Bronze Suns, but nothing really new going on.

And then we arrive at the end.

He walks onto the teleporter, but unlike the other two, he actually knows how this thing works.

: "Hmmm."

: "Hey, what the?!"

: "Geddoe!"

When was the last time Geddoe was here?

He must have been here before.

She must have been waiting for him. The other two as well.

Though he's a stranger to Chris and Hugo. They've never met in any of the three chapters.

Geddoe takes a few steps towards Sana before stopping.

I assure you, this is not the twist it sounds like. Woulda been interesting, though.

I'm not even gonna do the countdown this time.

So, here we are. End of chapter 3 (plural). Beginning of chapter 4 (singular).

But before that, the blurb.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's happening :supaburn:

Welcome to the True Lightning Rune, enjoy your stay at the Unlimited Power Hotel.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I for one welcome the advent of Thunder God Cid Geddoe. And I hope his first divine edict is renaming the Harmonian Southern Frontier Defense Force 12th Unit into the Stormbringers. :black101:

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I love how it gives you just a taste of how powerful Geddoe is with the true lightning rune before starting chapter 4. It doesn't even pit you against any real fights after he gets it. The only fight worth noting is the treasure boss in the Flame Champion's Hideaway, and I believe she is completely immune to lightning damage!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just noticed that the flames get bigger as you progress through the chapters.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So the question now, is what you're going to do about chapter 4 for an LP perspective.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That was a pretty short chapter.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

alcharagia posted:

That was a pretty short chapter.

Geddoe Chapter 3 plays like it's meant to be done last. It feels like the brief prelude to Chapter 4 that it effectively is.

Now, to see how yokaiy handles this.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

And now for a taste of things to come.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I think I now know Geddoe's full name: Geddoe Thorodinson.

And now I can't read his chapters without this song playing in the background.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

To the mind of an average person in the Suikoden universe, Geddoe might as well be Thor.

Possessing a True Rune is, after all, controlling/being controlled by one of the fundamental components of Existence itself :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Oblivious posted:

To the mind of an average person in the Suikoden universe, Geddoe might as well be Thor.

Possessing a True Rune is, after all, controlling/being controlled by one of the fundamental components of Existence itself :v:

Makes you wonder if people realize that the grim personification of death is probably still spending his free time fishing in a tiny hamlet approximately in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

KataraniSword posted:

Makes you wonder if people realize that the grim personification of death is probably still spending his free time fishing in a tiny hamlet approximately in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Life & Death thank you very much.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Man, if there's one thing I really missed that the series lost after III, it was the gigantic, crazy cinematic animations for the higher-ranking spells. It actually gives a sense that there's some real power behind it, rather than "well here's your level 1 spell but it's slightly different and now all enemies get hit"

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
This is a really drat long passage, but I didn't know how to chop up Yun and Chris talking about daddy issues and True Runes. I won't post anything near this length again.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Wow, Nash is kind of a dick, giggling while eaves dropping on Chris' crying.

Medrex
Nov 17, 2012

Triangular. Nuclear. Loops.

whoda thunkit posted:

Wow, Nash is kind of a dick, giggling while eaves dropping on Chris' crying.

I think that's more embarrassment on his part. sort of like: "Here I am trying to be an awesome spy gathering intelligence and right now it just feels like I'm eavesdropping on a crying girl who wants to see her dad"

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Medrex posted:

I think that's more embarrassment on his part. sort of like: "Here I am trying to be an awesome spy gathering intelligence and right now it just feels like I'm eavesdropping on a crying girl who wants to see her dad"

I always got the impression that he's more of a guy that Harmonia sent off into the wilderness with the hope that he'd get killed without them having to do any paperwork.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 4 - The Flame Champion

Here we are: Chapter 4.

Things are going to be a little different from here out. For starters, it doesn't matter who's flame we pick -- since our three heroes are all in the same location for the first time.

We'll go with Geddoe because I defaulted to his selected, since he was the most recent chapter.

Getting to see the room from a different angle is pretty nice. I actually really like all the texture details.

Hugo steps forward.

: "............."

Stovetop, oven, table and chairs, shelves and cabinets...

Bed and bookshelf, dirty laundry on the chair, weapon on the table. It seems he's actually living here afterall.

Where's the man himself, though?

Sana walks into the frame and hesitates a moment.

Oh. :smith:

She gazes at what remains -- the place he lived -- silently and solemnly.

I mean, there are many ways to kill a rune bearer. Stabbing, for example. That'll usually get the job done if you stab hard enough.

: "That is true, but he chose to grow old with me, rather than live eternally."

"Old" is not the term I would use.

: "I don't like it. The Champion's lover? I never intended to live in somebody else's shadow, let alone bear such a grandiose title."

: "Ha ha ha ha! Who knew? I don't like being labeled either, but somehow I got the name and it stuck. I never thought I'd be working for justice or the people. I was born and raised here in the Grasslands, and I just couldn't bear to see my land ransacked. That's how it all began. People were so excited to finally have hope, they projected it onto me, and... here I am now!"

: "It is hard to have such devoted people imposing their ancient dreams and ideals on me..."

: "That sounds more like the man I know. You've been behaving more like a Champion lately, but it's just for show, isn't it? I'll admit I'm relieved."

: "I'll only fight for what I hold dear. Holy Harmonia has agreed to a fifty-year cease-fire. This should give us enough time."

: "Us...? That might not be enough."

: "Yes, but at least we won't see our loved ones destroyed before our own eyes."

: "The name, Champion, means nothing to me. My time with you... That is the most precious thing."

: "Iroh..."

I imagine he actually died very young. You don't just get rid of a True Rune once you have it, even if you do have Cyndar magic. The True Rune is like a parasite, and pulling it out leaves a wound. It's not something you can really recover from, unless you get the rune back.

: ".........."

: "I don't doubt it. It sounds like something he'd do."

How much time and effort must Iroh have put into research? The secrets of Cyndar aren't something you can really plug-and-play.

: "Then, the Flame Champion, the hero who protected the Grasslands, is no longer...?"

: "But the new Champion must unite the Grassland clans with Zexen. They're still in constant conflict and under thread of the Harmonian army..."

: "You never change. You were always an idealist, and it encouraged Iroh to no end. But the fact that you didn't seem to understand him hurt him."

I wonder about that, Sana. I wonder about a lot of things, but I wonder if it was really Geddoe that didn't understand him.

When Geddoe doesn't respond, Sana continues.

: "Iroh left me with a message, which is why I am here today. He was able to predict the future to some extent, because he bore the True Rune."

Keep that in mind, folks.

: "If you wish... I can open the door for you."

: "But this will require you to take the power and the burden of the Flame Champion upon yourself."

: "Take over the title of the Flame Champion?"

: "Then, who is it going to be?"

: "Are you saying that one of us three will be his successor?"

"But I was older than him."

: "Iroh often said that one's destiny is not predetermined, but is changeable."

So...

Who will be our Flame Champion?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Well, we've done it. We've arrived at the biggest decision of the entire game. Friends, it is your time to shine.

You get to choose who becomes the new Flame Champion -- the main-est of the main characters.

Hugo is the "canon" successor of the True Fire Rune. He is the one they go with in the manga, media renditions, and he is the one the story is written around. As such, I am going to recommend that you vote for him, but I'm not trying to force your hand on this.

Plot-wise, he makes the most sense to take over for Iroh. He's a Grasslander from Grassland looking to protect his home, and so his motivations line up best with what Iroh's were. He also seems the sort to use it to protect the Grasslands even after we take care of this Harmonia mess, so I feel like it'd be in good hands with him, even if he does do dumb childish things sometimes. He's also the most jrpg protagonist-y person we've got.

Mechanically, he is middling with the Fire Rune. He'll cap out his Fire Magic skill at a B, which is not too shabby, and can be upped to B+ with a Wizard Hat, which is pretty respectable. He's a better melee fighter, but honesty the TFR is a gamble to use anyway, so that's not really an issue because I probably won't be using it even half as often as I've been using lightning magic. Hell, Hugo's plain old wind rune might see more mileage by the end of this.

If Hugo gets the TFR, Geddoe will keep his True Lightning Rune.

Chris is an interesting choice, as she's not actually affiliated with the Grasslands. However, with her father being a "Grasslander" and her being a Zexen, it would be a nice opportunity to bridge the gap between the two nations, especially as Chris would be acting for the good of the Grasslands. She would be a fair political leader for both nations, but I still think it's the weakest of the three choices. She's loyal to Zexen, after all.

Mechanically, Chris is not a caster by any stretch of the word. She'll cap Fire Magic at C (B with Wizard Hat), so it's not ever really worth having her cast anything. However, since the TFR is all about being dangerous to allies and enemies alike, not using it is actually a pretty good plan of action. She'll probably only use it enough times that I'll be able to show off what it does, and then it'll sit on her hand taking up space. Again, I'm not sure that's really a downside, though.

If Chris gets the TFR, Geddoe will keep his True Lightning Rune.

In all honesty, this is the vote I'm expecting you to make.

Plot-wise he makes sense, as he was one of the Fire Bringer in the war against Harmonia last time. His very chill personality would probably do well to keep the Fire Rune in check, and he's a fair person and would use it responsibly. I can't see him staying in Grassland after this is all over, though.

Mechanically, he is the best for the TFR. He caps Fire Magic at B+ (A with Wizard Hat), which is pretty good, so he'll probably get some good mileage out of the rune, especially compared to the other two. However, he's already got the True Lightning Rune, and it's just so much better. Is it worth him giving up his True Lightning Rune for the True Fire Rune? Personally, I don't think so. He'll be keeping his plain Lightning rune either way (and honestly will probably use it more), so we won't have to give up his Lightning Magic completely, but the point still stands.

If Geddoe gets the TFR, Hugo will inherit the True Lightning Rune.

Bold your votes. You've got until some point on Monday.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I like Geddoe the most, eh.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I have to vote for Hugo. It just feels like the right option. Especially as we can't get Thomas or Sgt.Joe here.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was going to vote for Chris, but then I thought about it...

Chris will have a hard time getting the Grasslanders on her side. Their trust in her will be low because of her (and not her's) previous actions. Meanwhile, she's really loved by the Zexens, so getting them to unite behind her isn't a problem.

I don't even consider Geddoe because really, TLR rocks and Geddoe rocks, so they should be rockin' together.

So we're left with Hugo. Hugo is a Grasslander and the Karaya Chieftain's son. But did he really prove himself to the Grasslanders yet? He helped with a few things, but enough to really be seen as a leader? I don't think so. As such, to unite the Grasslanders, he needs a little extra something to spice his image up. And what's spicier than being the Flame Champion's successor? As such, I vote for him.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Hugo of course. To me, this is the only choice that makes sense. This honestly feels more like the best fit thematically, plot-wise, and gameplay-wise. Hugo has been slowly building up to this role from the very beginning, and I don't think it would work as well with the others.

Geddoe is really appealing, but I feel that he is better suited with the TLR. (Also, he's to "Eh" to bother being the leader. :v:)

And Chris, well yokaiy summed up pretty much everything about why she doesn't fit as well.

Random blabber
Dec 14, 2013
Hugo because I don't like being predictable (by picking the default choice in an LP, I mean who does that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
As awesome as Geddoe is, I'd much rather him keep his True Lightning Rune.

Which means that I support going Hugo. It really does make for a better story that way.

• Locked thread