Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

mauman posted:

Jeanne for support

Geddoe needs to zap people. More Jeane, more zapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

quote:

I want a game where we go to some ruins and find the clan still living there.

Anyway, thank you, Nash.

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen this really happen was late in Avatar: The Last Airbender...
... which fits considering we've been fighting in the name of Iroh the whole game.

Anyway, Viki has payed much dividends here. Yessss.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

mauman posted:

Also, I'm pretty darn sure you can take the other true rune users on the FC's team. Or am I thinking of the Final Boss....ugh, my memory is blurry here.

But if you can, if you don't load the team with Hugo, Fubar, Joe, and the 3 other True Rune users I'm going to be VERY sad.

At least take Sassari so we can at least see what the True Earth rune does.

That's the final battle. The only open True Rune user we've got at the moment is Edge (with the Star Dragon Sword).

In regards to Sasarai, I'm forcing him into the final boss party. :colbert: The rest (aside from Hugo, who is obviously also forced) are gonna be open for vote, though I'm going to highly recommend the other Elemental True Rune users.

CmdrKing posted:

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen this really happen was late in Avatar: The Last Airbender...
... which fits considering we've been fighting in the name of Iroh the whole game.

I feel like there have to be more examples of it, but I can't think of any. That's kind of distressing.

Also, yeah. I can't believe that actually worked.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

I feel like there have to be more examples of it, but I can't think of any. That's kind of distressing.
Any kind of pulp adventure that involves a jungle or a lost city? Anything Conan the Barbarian Howard related?

Granted, those aren't necessarily the people who built the would-be-ruins to begin with, but still.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rirse posted:

Team Geddoe needs to be his crew of Ace, Joker, Queen, Aila, and Jacques.
Also voting for this option.

I leave the support member to yokaiy's discretion.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Team Geddoe stays intact. Elliot comes along as support.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ok then. Blurry memory it was then.

Also, good to know about Sasarai. The man needs his time to shine.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Geddoe sticks with his team.

Give Hugo Juan, Emily, and Nei as backup for proper :black101:, those three haven't had a chance to create a proper mess yet.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I'd like team Hugo to have Lucia and Dupa in addition to Fubar and Sgt. Joe.

I'm not sure who'd be a good fit for the remaining slot, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like this standard Suiko end of a big war battle with a final dungeon after it. Makes both parts of the game matter.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

mauman posted:

Geddoe team is best team

Jeanne for support

Only the best for the best!

Chris should take her knights plus Louis for support. Hugo should get Joe, Fubar and....I don't really care. LPer's choice?

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

CmdrKing posted:

Can't remember if you find them in ruins, but in Tales of Graces the ancient race that built all the ruins turns out to not be as extinct as everyone thought.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

vilkacis posted:

Use the proper parties for the main run because it feels kinda :flaccid: to have them be all "we're gonna kick rear end together!" only to see everyone benched.

I know it's poor form to request fanart, but come on. We need a drawing of The TeamTM getting an inspiring speech and all pumped up to kick rear end, and then sitting on the bench as Rose Dude, Winged Emo, and the other D-listers fight the final boss.

Eruza
Sep 4, 2011

Unoriginal One posted:

Geddoe sticks with his team.

Give Hugo Juan, Emily, and Nei as backup for proper :black101:, those three haven't had a chance to create a proper mess yet.

Seconded! It would be fantastic to see these guys in action, especially since Emily's banned from the normal run final boss for being too dangerous.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Chris: her team; support: Salome

Geddoe: his team; support: Jeane.

Hugo: Fubar, Gadget Z, Sgt. Joe, Lily and Viki (old); support: Guillaume.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Bravo posted:

I know it's poor form to request fanart, but come on. We need a drawing of The TeamTM getting an inspiring speech and all pumped up to kick rear end, and then sitting on the bench as Rose Dude, Winged Emo, and the other D-listers fight the final boss.

Alternately, Inspiring Speech followed by Emily walking in from off-screen.

"Oh, were you guys getting ready? I already took care of it. :downs:"

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Proper parties for all, but have Emily and her fists of death go with Hugo.

I'm having a blast picturing the end to that last battle - Yuber constantly getting pelted with magic, getting more and more frustrated that he can't get close enough to stab anyone, and then Geddoe's team shows up! And then Yuber promptly gets buried under all the junk Viki warps in while Geddoe just watches.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Chris: her team; support: Salome

Geddoe: his team; support: Jeane.

Hugo: Fubar, Gadget Z, Sgt. Joe, Lily and Viki (old); support: Guillaume.

Salome is actually a combat character, remember. Louis is the team support.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Bufuman posted:

Salome is actually a combat character, remember. Louis is the team support.

Sorry, my bad.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Everyone with their own teams! This can't be stated enough :allears:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Burnt through this thread after a Suikoden LP binge (only the latter half of Tactics and V to go, looking forward to all these salt references having a payoff) and I'm loving the little sketches throughout. I can't be the only person who looks at Albert and (to a lesser extent) Caesar's portraits and doesn't see two pairs of eyebrows though.

As for votes, own teams, your choice of healing support members and Futch, Bright and Lilly for Hugo's missing three spaces.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Wow, okay, that might be my longest gap yet. Sorry, as always. I've got a short interlude for you coming up a little later tonight, and then I should have an actual update either tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks for sticking around and everything, and sorry again!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They're always worth the wait, don't worry about the timing!

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
:woop: Definitely worth the wait!

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.5 - Sasarai feat. Chris & Geddoe

Before we continue any further, I'd like to show off some alternate versions of the pre-final-strategy-battle scenes.

We'll start with Chris.

The three versions of this scene are all pretty similar, but I still like how we get to see it from different perspectives.

In this version, we get Salome and Louis as our companions of choice, which seems par for the course.

They both descend the stairs to meet up with Chris.

: "Almost."

The Zexens tend to think ahead a lot more than the Grasslanders.

: "Indeed. Our camaraderie could be temporary."

She's come to like her Grassland comrades, by this point. She's really grown as a person since this game first started -- she was always against the war, but before it was to ease the burden on her Zexen troops. Now, it's because she genuinely doesn't want the two sides fighting any longer.

She shakes it off, and faces them again.

: "What? Oh, no, I guess not. Louis, let's go check on my horse."

: "Yes, milady."

The three walk off and that ends the scene.

So let's jump ahead a little bit.

So we can see Chris' version of the speech.

Short and to the point.

As for Geddoe's version of things:

Starts off the same, as I'm sure you could guess.

Joker and Queen, this time. This choice also seems pretty appropriate.

Something about this part makes me really happy, and I'm not sure why.

: "Before, it would have been unbelievable to see them talking to one another."

: "No... I wish we could have done the same thing before my country perished."

: "Perhaps we are heading in the same direction."

Not a very optimistic view there, bud.

Might be regret for how things with his hometown ended up creeping into his thoughts. Or remembering how things went last time he was involved in a war. He's not really looking forward to this, and has seen things go to the shitter too many times to not doubt the army at least a little bit.

He heads off ahead of them.

They follow him.

And now for Geddoe's speech.

Also pretty short.

Like I said, not too different from the Hugo version, but I still enjoy the variety.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Once the combination occurs, the similarities become greater. I think it's why I love Thomas' chapters the most, and love doing them last, because you see all the work you've done and all the random quests, and how things begin to come together to the common goal.

And the wait is always worth it Yokaiy, this is my favorite LP ever :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I think Team Geddoe should be Landis, Twaikin, Gadget Z, Kenji, and Samus, with Jefferson on command.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yokaiy only asked for votes for Team Geddoe you jerks

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

alcharagia posted:

Yokaiy only asked for votes for Team Geddoe you jerks

Oh, yeah, I guess I did. I was counting the others anyway, though. :haw:

Also, I guess I should close votes, since I already started my trek to take back our True Runes.

alcharagia posted:

Landis, Twaikin, Gadget Z, Kenji, and Samus, with Jefferson on command.

drat, that would be a ridiculous party.

hanales posted:

Once the combination occurs, the similarities become greater. I think it's why I love Thomas' chapters the most, and love doing them last, because you see all the work you've done and all the random quests, and how things begin to come together to the common goal.

And the wait is always worth it Yokaiy, this is my favorite LP ever :allears:

Pieuvre posted:

:woop: Definitely worth the wait!

Poque posted:

They're always worth the wait, don't worry about the timing!

:unsmith:

Illuyankas posted:

Burnt through this thread after a Suikoden LP binge (only the latter half of Tactics and V to go, looking forward to all these salt references having a payoff) and I'm loving the little sketches throughout. I can't be the only person who looks at Albert and (to a lesser extent) Caesar's portraits and doesn't see two pairs of eyebrows though.

And a late welcome to the thread for you! Good choice of LPs to binge, haha. On the subject of eyebrows, though...

Manga context: Mua and Hallec have gone to the Harmonians to buy some time for the Grasslanders by asking for a truce they know won't be agreed to. It goes as expected.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Sasarai is one of the great successes of the manga. His characterization is much more in line with how you'd figure an immortal teenager who's spent his life since birth as a high-ranked bureaucrat might act; kinda bored with everything, extremely eager for anything novel, and no longer cares about hiding it when something interesting DOES happen. The whole thing makes me wonder if they handed the writer some of the cutting room floor notes for him in fact.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Geddoe continues to be the Best Character.

...but manga Sasarai isn't bad either, I guess.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

yokaiy posted:

drat, that would be a ridiculous party.

Then I nominate the Men of All Walks team for the final boss. With Geddoe as the leader if you don't have to bring the FLAAAAME CHAMPION

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Great! :woop:
I was waiting eagerly for this thread to continue.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Hurrah for the return of the thread and manga Sasarai shenanigans!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wish I can read the manga.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.6 - Odds and Ends Part 1; Koroku's Grand Adventure!

Before we head off to the final dungeon, there are some interesting things we can do.

Unlike a lot of JRPGs, there are no final side-quests for us to embark on. We have all of our stars, and we got the golden hammer for Peggi already, so there's not really anything for us to get.

However, there are a few attractions in and around the castle that we can look into.

First, we've got Koroku.

I mentioned it briefly before, but at this point in the game, interacting with Koroku will allow you to play as Koroku, and wander around the castle talking to everyone except Landis.

Also, this will let me show off the locations for all of our stars in a Hugo run. (Some people get shuffled around depending on who the Flame Champion is.)

A little ways off from Hugo, we've got Edge and the SDS.

: "Kuuueee?"

And then a little further again, we've got a guard and Fubar.

From there, we'll head in through the bar.

: "Hi, Koroku! Want to be on the stage?"

: "If Koroku was properly trained, I suppose he might be able to do a trick or something..."

: "..."

: "Want to listen to some music, Koroku?"

: "We can't very well have a dog on the stage..."

That is a dirty, nasty lie.

Heading out into the hall from there.

We're gonna take the back door on the right first, which leads to Mio and Tuta's infirmary.

: "Hi, Koroku. I'm about to start fasting for training. Wanna join me? Don't worry. It'll only last a week."

: "Oh, hello, Koroku! Hallec's been looking for you. 'I'm hungry! Where's Koroku?!' Scary, isn't he?"

: "Hello, Koroku! Want another ride on a Mantor?"

: "Hello, Koroku. Anything wrong? Hmm, come to think of it, this castle doesn't have a veterinarian."

: "Oh, I'm so busy I could even use a dog's help... Uh, but not Koroku, though."

From here, we'll trot back to the front door of the war room.

And now, we head inside.

Wait, are you saying you don't eat dogs, or that we shouldn't eat dogs?

: "There's nothing wonderful about a dog walking into an important meeting!"

: "Wow... So Koroku can open doors..."

Now, back into the main hall...

: "Hungry? Did you like what I gave you last time? Okay. Next time I burn something, I'll save it for you, Koroku."

: "Hi, Koroku. How come you always look hungry?"

: "Hmm. Dog liver. Nah, I guess it wouldn't sell."

:catstare:

Yes. :3:

Koroku is actually not allowed to teleport, so let's check out the next room, to the lower right there.

Just off screen to the right is Jefferson, and to the left over there you can kinda see Mike. They have this to say:

: "A dog wants a job?!"

: "Ha ha ha! Good old Koroku wants to play cards, does he? (Filthy animal. Don't touch me.)"

Well, we don't like you very much either, Mike! Let's move on!

Just off to the left is Joker, and just to the right is Arthur. They say:

: "Koroku, be a good boy and buy me some wine. Go on, you can manage that, can't you?"

: "Hey, Koroku! If you've got any interesting news items, let me know!"

Also worth noting, Koroku cannot read letters or the news.

Heh, that's kinda cute.

: "Huh? You want to go for a walk? Ask Big Viki. She can take you anywhere."

: "A dog? No... Can't be..."

That's rather ominous.

Billy is here.

And Ernie is here too.

Heading across the hall to the trophy room, we've got these weirdos.

: "I bet you don't find dogs running around in any OTHER castle."

: "Oh, Koroku... Your green bundle is simple divine. But I'd love to deck you out with my ornaments."

Note to self: draw Koroku in Augustine's hat and cravat.

: "This room is... chilly, isn't it?"

Connie hangs out in the far corner. Being a dog, we can understand what she and the other dogs are saying. This does not hold true for Fubar, Bright, and Ruby, though.

Not that we can talk to Ruby anyway; he flies around so you can't interact with him.

: "Ooh... It's a dog...."

These two are hanging out in the guest room next door.

Heh heh.

Nash actually has terrible luck with animals.

Down the hall, we've got Hugo's room, which is attached to this office. Sasarai and Joe have taken up residence in the office space.

: "Hi, Koroku! Are you going to fight too?"

: "Ha ha ha! A dog has come to pay his respects..."

: "No, Koroku! You can't come in here!"

That covers the main floor and upstairs, so let's head down.

Important questions. Apparently, there are rocks inside Koroku's little bundle. The other dogs keep other things in theirs.

I'm sorry, that is adorable.

: "What a strange dog."

If we head into the storage area, we can hit up the Saint Loa Knights.

: "Hey, Koroku! Let's have a sniffing contest sometime! I think I might win!"

: "Koroku, go and help Lady Cecile. She can't guard the gate by herself."

Next, let's head towards the ship.

: "Oh, it's Koroku! Are you going to help? You can stash a bone in the hole you dig."

: "You... want... to... be... my... apprentice... Huh?"

: "Yipes! Go away! Shoo! D-Don't come near me!"

: "Hello there. You're very popular, you know. And you deserve it!"

: "Koroku! Let's do our best, okay?"

: "Hm...? Oh, a dog..."

We've seen these two before, I think.

: "Hey, a dog just came in!"

These two as well.

Nope, never.

Why the hell not?

Reed is off to the side a little bit, he has this to say:

: "When her ladyship is in one of her moods, keep your distance, whether you're a man or a dog."

: "Kuuueee!"

That covers everyone on the boat, so let's go back in and downstairs.

I really like the idea of Shiba taking Koroku for a walk.

It actually shows up in the manga for a panel. :3:

The second storage room is right next to him, so let's peek in.

Wan Fu is being a blob, as usual.

:3:

: "What, Koroku? A job? I must be the only detective in the world employed by a dog! Okay, what's the assignment? 'Arooooooo!'? Ha ha ha! So I have to 'Arooooooo!'? What does that mean? Ha ha ha!"

Duke is hanging out near the cells.

And Watari is just around the corner... being Watari, as always.

Unfortunately, we can't go down to the bottom floor with Koroku, so we can't talk to Landis, but you guys know where he is so it's fine. I assume they do this because they can't account for Koroku's level and didn't want to change the encounters down there. That just leaves the outside areas.

: "Oh, it's Koroku! Where's a pen? I'd love to draw some big thick eyebrows on you!"

Koichi hangs out near the restaurant with this kid.

: "Oh, Koroku! Good timing! Would you go on an errand for me?"

: "If you see the sergeant, tell him Wilder's doing a good job, okay?"

Rhett is to Wilder's left, and says:

: "Did you know some people eat dogs? I wonder if they're tasty..."

Franz is surprisingly competitive when it comes to Ruby and other animals.

Ruby flies around this general area, by the way. You can soooort of see his butt in the top left corner. He doesn't stop to talk, though.

: "Cecile said something about this dog being one of the guards of Thomas Castle..."

: "Come on, Koroku! Go woof! Okay? Woof! Come on!"

: "Strange dog..."

: "Oh, hi, Koroku. You like down there. Sorry, no pillow.

Seems about right that Juan would take naps with the dogs. I wonder if Koroku makes a good pillow?

: "Koroku! Give me your weapon, I'll sharpen it for you!"

Note to self: draw Koroku in armor.

There's a Zexen Knight to the left that says this:

: "Koroku... would you deliver a letter to my betrothed back home? Oh, uh, forget it... I've changed my mind."

Let's go to the stables next.

: "Umm...."

: "I guess Koroku doesn't have a worry in the world..."

Kogoro is really weird.

Kathy still offers Koroku the chance to run around the track, and there's still no reason to do it. Unless you really like it for some reason.

You know, I'm not sure. My money's on Cecile, but then, the dogs all had their bundles before we recruited them.

: "Dogs have it easy."

: "I-I'm no good with dogs..."

You can kinda see Gau off to the right, there. He says:

: "Shoo! Shoo! Go away!"

: "Huh? Caught me swapping the appraisal items, did you? Well, you're just a dog so who cares?"

Good to know that Guillaume is shady as ever.

Gordon is still weird. Also good to know.

: "Oh, you're CUTE! Wanna come with me to Alma Kinan Village?"

You wouldn't believe how many theories this dialogue box has spawned.

: "What's all this then? Do the dogs in this country want magic done for them, too?"

: "Hey, Koroku, does Lady Chris ever stroke you? Next time, let me change places with you, okay?"

Wow, what a creep.

: "Huh? Oh, a dog."

: "I'd sell a ticket to a dog if it had the money."

: "Oh, how about massaging my shoulders with those nice, cushiony paws of yours? A restful tap, tap, tap..."

Yes! We are going to be the best at guarding, Cecile!

Let's check out the inn next.

: "Sorry, no rooms available!"

: "Hello, Koroku. Are you staying?"

Ah, yes, another wonderful day for Koroku.

Let's be Hugo again.

We've got another news article, and some new letters.

Elaine posted:

Limited Choice
It's a good place, but isn't it better to have a wider selection of cosmetics?

Aila posted:

From the sky
Franz was mad at me when I said to him, 'I want to get on a mantor.' I wanted to see the castle from the sky.

Viki posted:

Hello
Hello Thomas. It's a nice castle.

I think she means Thomas as in the castle rather than the character, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Eike posted:

Dear Hugo
It's raining everyday, but I hope you are well. The other day I ran out of paper. I'm sure you were puzzled. I am terribly sorry...

Futch posted:

Griffon
Fubar is a great Griffon. He seems to understand human language. Bright is just as good.

Rico posted:

Among Knights
There are many knights at this castle, but I'm sure that Fred is the best.

Sebastian posted:

Worried
If the soldiers are too rude, please scold them. This castle is too old. If they act up, it might collapse.

Koichi posted:

From Koichi
Nice weather...
Sincerely,
Cecile

Yuiri posted:

Ace
Ace got Yumi drunk and tried to make her talk about the Alma Kinan Clan. Ace has some nerve, doesn't he?

Kidd posted:

What's up?
Hi! Are there any strange cases? When something happens, don't try to solve it yourself -- call me. See you!

Joe posted:

What?
Hey, what's this? Who's going to read it?

Samus posted:

Greetings
I'm Lilly's attendant, Samus. I'm dark, but I'm not a Karayan. I tell you this because people get us mixed up.

Beecham posted:

To Hugo
I'm glad you are safe and sound. After Karaya Village was burned and its people attacked, Chief Lucia is unstable.

Beecham posted:

Your help
I'm surprised that you are a leader at your age. There must be times when you feel crushed. Tell me when you need help.

Wilder posted:

I'm here
Why am I here?
(sob...)

Toppo posted:

Greetings
You seem to always be busy.

Toppo posted:

Hello
What do you think of our performances?

Luce posted:

Wind's blessing
I'm proud that a chief's son is Flame Champion. Try your best!

Nash posted:

Give me a break
Recently, Kenji made me exercise until midnight. I'm not young. Give me a break!

Mio posted:

Present
I'd like to give Tuta a present on his birthday, but I don't know what to give. What would you give, Hugo?

Alanis posted:

How are you?
How are you, Hugo? I'm fine. This castle is fun.

Kenji posted:

Exercise!
Today we'll start building up physical strength! Wake up at 6:00 AM! Don't be late!

Dios posted:

Nice to meet you
I'm Dios. I work with Sasarai. I won't deceive you, so trust me.

Mua posted:

Our knights
Our knights' will is to be a 'shield for the weak.' The people of Zexen and Grassland will protect everyone.

Lots of letters, but that's still not even close to all of the ones in the game.

Also, we've got plays.

Through the power of grabbing someone else's save who had actually transferred data from Sui2, we have access to all of the plays.

The bottom three are available either way, but you can only get Romeo & Juliet and Neclord's End if you've transferred save data.

Since I'm borrowing someone else's save for those, it does mean that I am at the mercy of whatever they decided to name Riou from their Suikoden II game (They named him Raiden, in case you were confused by that blurb), but in a world where this person named their Flame Champion "q," I'll take it.

Plays posted:

Romeo & Juliet posted:

In a flourishing town, two families live in bitter enmity. A young man and woman, one from each family, fall hopelessly in love, and this famous drama proceeds to its tragic conclusion. This production consists of Act 2, in which the two declare their love.

William Tell posted:

William Tell had to prove his skill in archery by shooting an apple off the head of his own son. Can he escape this trap, set by a lord contemptuous of his fame? Real bow and arrows are used. The audience better not blink.

The Match Girl posted:

The story of a little girl, abused by her father, forced to live by selling matches. Roaming the snowy town, hungry and cold, she strikes a match for warmth. The matches illuminate the brave little girl and her fate, and even modern audiences weep.

He Cried Wolf posted:

'Wolf!!!' cried the shepherd boy, but he lied. He watched the villagers flee in terror, and laughed. Then, one day, a real wolf appears before his very eyes. Truly terrified now, he calls out to the villagers for help, and...

So, plays are pretty simple. You've got a list of roles for each play, and then a list of who can be in that role. Not everyone can be in every role, unfortunately, but there are a lot of options. Also, as you can tell from Hugo here, they are not always gender locked, either. He can also be Juliet, for example.

For the most part, characters have a base aptitude for acting, but that can change based on what role they are given or, even, the play. Someone who is good at acting may be bad at a specific type of role, for example, and there are a couple instances where someone's base aptitude goes straight out the window when they're put in a specific play, but I'll get more into that in a little bit.

Anyway, each character has a little blurb describing them and their acting skills, and some of them are absolutely golden, so I have taken the time to type every single one up for you.

Cast Members posted:

Chris
Her looks are a powerful weapon but her acting is horrible. Still, she attracts an audience.

Geddoe
He performs because he is asked to, but he has no desire to do so.

Lucia
Her tomboyishness is attractive on stage. If it's the role of a knight, she's the one.

Fred
He is the only actor who uses his real name. Some audiences watch him with interest.

Rico
She does her best but her legs tremble. She's good enough as a supporting actress.

Viki (Big)
Out of the question. She can't be allowed to perform.

Fubar
He's an animal, so he can't talk. He plays the part of a monster.

Sgt. Joe
Non-stop, bittersweet ad libs make him popular with female ducks.

Aila
Cheerful and likeable, but she can't handle tough roles.

Roland
Great control as an actor, but speaks in a monotone. However, he can use a bow and arrow.

Leo
For his castle, he's willing to go on stage. Best in macho roles.

Beecham
His specialty is playing a warrior, but he's no hero.

Percival
A natural and reliable actor who can play a hero.

Lilly
Her lofty attitude doesn't change on stage. She is strong in the roles that suit her.

Reed
Average. Not great, but versatile.

Samus
His performance is always based on careful preparation. But Reed is better.

Borus
He attracts female audiences, but not the males.

Ace
A good actor, but not a reliable ad libber. Still, he attracts an audience.

Queen
A talented actress who is best liked for her masculine roles.

Jacques
He seems to read the script, but does he understand it?

Joker
His style is unique. At his best when the roles fit him.

Duke
Projects the aura of a manly man. But his looks are better than his acting.

Elaine
Her charm attracts male audiences. She often ad libs.

Gau
As a supporting actor, he's a real stand-out.

Nicolas
His reading are monotonous. Like sutras.

Futch
A nice guy on stage and off. But not very interesting.

Bright
He can take on monster roles.

Dupa
Human roles are not his specialty, but he does his best because he's a clan chief.

Shiba
Monster roles are the most suitable. He dislikes them, but he's a trooper.

Bazba
One of the most handsome actors in the Lizard Clan. Female lizards scream for him.

Franz
Performs surprisingly well. He may be a talented actor.

Ruby
It's better not to put the giant insect on stage.

Thomas
Best in roles that are similar to his own personality.

Cecile
Good in all sorts of roles, except for tragic ones.

Sasarai
Not a very good actor. His monotone makes the audience uneasy.

Ayame
Performs only when she pleases. Should not be given roles that she does not like.

Salome
Don't expect a great performance, unless it's close to his own personality.

Watari
Just the fact that he performs is enough.

Wilder
Has the potential to be one smart duck. But can he display that on stage?

Rhett
Can't project a different character. At the most, he could play a minor role.

Nash
Can play various roles well, since he's a spy. His acting is noteworthy.

Melville
Never ming treasure hunting. You can be a big star someday.

Alanis
If it's the role of a young girl, she's the best. But in other roles, she just gets by.

Belle
Tough girl; potentially a versatile actress. That's her advantage.

Mel
Despite all her poor performances, she has a huge following. Mysterious actress.

Koroku
No dogs allowed on stage.

Connie
Please, don't put dogs on stage.

Koichi
Dogs should not be put on stage.

Kosanji
Dogs should not be put on stage.

Kogoro
Do you really want to put dogs on stage?

Juan
He may fall asleep on stage.

Guillaume
A leading role can't be given to him.

Piccolo
Remembers his lines, but lacks emotion.

Yuiri
She is good in all roles, especially male characters.

Yumi
Quite a good actress, she knows how to put an audience at ease.

Mua
Good in dignified roles.

Hallec
He must be nervous, but there's no excuse for his bad acting.

Gadget Z
Can play practically any role. But his delivery is plain and mechanical.

Nei
A keen actress, who skillfully expresses her characters' emotions to her audience.

Shabon
A good actress who can take on leading and supporting roles.

Toppo
Speaks only when acting. But acts skillfully.

Augustine
Everything is overacted. His narrating is the worst.

Kenji
It's not that the lines are misread, but something isn't right.

Twaikin
Can't perform roles requiring a stretch, but good at playing his own character.

Landis
If he's in it, anything in the repertoire becomes a horror story.

Sanae Y.
Standard technique and talent. Formal delivery of lines. The accent can be a problem.

Wan Fu
He does well in macho roles, but he is terrible playing other characters.

Sharon
Energetic, but can't act very well. Still, she's popular with the audience.

Viki (Little)
If there were only some role that suited her strange speech...

Estella
She barely puts on a performance, but still pulls in the audience. It's the costumes.

Rody
He can perform in any role. He is told by his mentor that it's due to his training.

Emily
Energetic. More suitable for male roles than for female ones.

Luce
She plays supporting roles well, but taking on a leading role can be too much.

Caesar
He is able to perform satisfactorily, but he doesn't have the desire.

Apple
Her calm and composed acting style is not so bad.

Louis
A good actor, but not yet mature. We anticipate his future success.

Shizu
It would be better if she could relax.

Eike
Watching him act, one somehow feels irritated.

Sebastian
He gets so nervous narrating that one can't stand to watch him.

Gordon
Good actor. But his strong sense of self limits his range.

Dominic
Supporting roles are fine, but he can't create a character.

Peggi
It's good to have a loud voice, but having only that is not enough.

Mamie
Shortens the lines, and ad libs as she pleases.

Jeane
She barely acts, but still attracts a big audience.

Scott
His selling point is his casual demeanor. He always looks like he's having fun.

Hortez VII
There's a limit to how bad one can be.

Ernie
On stage, one shouldn't be so timid.

Elliot
He memorizes his lines, but on stage he forgets them all.

Martha
She should never be given the role of a woman in love.

Billy
His overacting makes people uneasy.

Anne
She's a mediocre actress with no big failures or successes.

Mike
It's good that he laughs on stage, but it's not good to laugh out of context.

Arthur
A serious actor. No particular weak points, but he's just not attractive.

Jefferson
On stage, he should stop sounding so commanding.

Goro
When on stage, he should forget about bathtubs.

Barts
His acting is so-so, but not many look as good as he does on stage.

Kidd
When he is acting, he should forget his cases.[/b]

Kathy
Surprisingly, her orthodox acting is very solid.

Muto
He tries his best, but it just isn't enough.

Tuta
His acting is overwhelmingly bad.

Mio
Her acting is so-so, but she has many male fans. She can build up a regular audience.

Iku
She feels shy about acting, but there are some fans who are attracted by that.

Dios
He has no desire to act except in those roles that he likes.

What a list, right?

Anyway, let's see how these work.

I started with the most boring play of all, and had it randomize the cast.

Once you've selected a cast for a play, you can watch them perform it. This is annoying only because you can't randomize the cast from this menu, so you do have to go to the other one first.

This is going to be awful. :allears:

: "What is wrong with this child?"

: "Out of my way, I'm in a rush."

The two of them walk past her and off stage.

: "Let me see. Oh yeah, a match!"

Viki reaches into her basket and lights a match, I guess. There's a slight glow around her hand, but that's it.

: "Who is that? Who are you?"

She looks off-screen...

: "Who are you? ...........who?"

: "...."

: "Let me see............ where am I?"

There's a flash of light as Viki walks towards Chris, and another flash after.

And then it fades to black.

I heard a lot of booing, though.

Let's try that again with a different cast.

Looks like Eike is a bad narrator.

: "Please, buy some matches."

: "Oh, what is up with this child?"

: "Sorry! I'm in a rush."

: "Still... she hasn't sold any matches. If she goes home like this, that demon-like father will hit and kick her for sure!!!"

She does that.

I can't decide if there actually isn't a line for this role, or if we just got the worst two actors up on stage for it.

: "Grandma, did you come from heaven? Take Shabon with you."

: "...."

: "Grandma, take Shabon to heaven with you."

I got booed again.

Next up, let's try He Cried Wolf. I cast randomly again.

I kind of wish I'd switched Muto and Joe because I know Muto cracks a silly pun when he's the wolf, but this kinda just felt right. Nash as a little liar felt right too.

For some reason, the title screen doesn't match the title of the play for this one.

: "Then one day it so happened..."

I just want you guys to appreciate Muto bleeting like a sheep.

Joe runs on and chases Muto off the stage.

Nash runs on in the foreground.

: "Oh no! A wolf!"

Franz runs on next.

He walks off very nonchalantly.

: "There really is a wolf! You guys! Believe me!"

Again, I just want you guys to appreciate this.

: "Grrr!"

Joe chases him off again.

: "When the wolf really did come, nobody believed the boy, and his sheep got all eaten up."

:haw:

I got booed once more for this one.

And finally, let's try William Tell. Randomly picked once again.

These are some astounding title screens.

I like that she kept her crossbow for this.

: "You are right, My Lord. No matter how good an archer he is, he'll be nervous with the target on his own son's head."

: "He, he, he. Miss and you'll never show your face in public again."

: "Best of luck, William Tell!!"

: "Yes, father."

:woop:

Scott and Mel storm off.

: " 'Cause you believed in me."

: "All hail to William Tell! Hail to William Tell!"

You know, somehow the audience cheered for this one.

As for R&J and the Neclord play, I decided that I'd let you guys try your hand at casting.

Thus, it's voting time!

Neclord's End posted:

Neclord
Geddoe, Reed, Samus, Ace, Beecham, Joker, Duke, Gau, Dupa, Shiba, Bazba, Salome, Wilder, Rhett, Koichi, Guillaume, Gadget Z, Hallec, Landis, Wan Fu, Rody.
Viktor
Hugo, Geddoe, Fred, Rico, Joe, Roland, Samus, Ace, Leo, Borus, Joker, Duke, Gau, Nicolas, Futch, Watari, Rhett, Nash, Kosanji, Guillaume, Piccolo, Mua, Gadget Z, Toppo, Hallec, Kenji, Twaikin, Edge, Wan Fu, Rody, Emily, Sebastian, Dominic, Peggi, Martha, Billy, Elliot, Mike, Jefferson, Muto, Barts, Tuta, Dios.
Flik
Hugo, Chris, Fred, Joe, Aila, Reed, Ace, Percival, Queen, Jacques, Duke, Gau, Nicolas, Futch, Franz, Ayame, Salome, Wilder, Nash, Kogoro, Juan, Mua, Gadget Z, Nei, Toppo, Kenji, Augustine, Edge, Wan Fu, Rody, Caesar, Louis, Sebastian, Gordon, Hortez, Billy, Mike, Jefferson, Goro, Barts, Tuta, Dios.
RiouRaiden
Hugo, Fred, Joe, Aila, Lilly, Ace, Leo, Queen, Thomas, Cecile, Futch, Franz, Melville, Belle, Mel, Koroku, Guillaume, Yuiri, Gadget Z, Nei, Shabon, Hallec, Twaikin, Sharon, Viki, Edge, Rody, Emily, Louis, Eike, Mamie, Scott, Hortez, Ernie, Kidd, Kathy, Arthur, Muto, Tuta.
Sierra
Chris, Rico, Viki, Aila, Lilly, Queen, Elaine, Cecile, Ayame, Alanis, Nash, Belle, Mel, Connie, Guillaume, Yuiri, Yumi, Gadget Z, Nei, Shabon, Augustine, Sanae, Sharon, Viki, Estella, Rody, Emily, Luce, Shizu, Mamie, Ernie, Anne, Jefferson, Kathy, Mio, Iku.
Narrator
Geddoe, Lucia, Fred, Viki, Roland, Ace, Percival, Queen, Duke, Thomas, Cecile, Sasarai, Salome, Nash, Hallec, Wan Fu, Rody, Apple, Luce, Louis, Sebastian, Hortez, Martha, Billy, Kidd, Mike, Arthur, Mio.

**Vote for Nash to be either Sierra or the Narrator.**
I'm forcing him to be one of those two roles, because it can only be amazing. He'll either be his wife or sass his wife.

For the other roles, vote for one person.

This play actually makes a several-page-long cameo in the manga, where Guillaume plays Neclord, Elliot is Viktor, Edge is Flik, Melville plays Riou, and Alanis is Sierra.

The kids all gently caress up so Edge has to take charge in the end.

Also, regarding this play, I'm going to suggest voting Lilly in there somewhere. She's normally actually a very good actor, but when she's in this play, her aptitude goes out the window since she was there and like 6 for this.

Romeo & Juliet posted:

Romeo
Hugo, Geddoe, Lucia, Fred, Joe, Roland, Reed, Samus, Ace, Leo, Beecham, Percival, Borus, Queen, Jacques, Joker, Duke, Gau, Nicolas, Thomas, Futch, Dupa, Shiba, Bazba, Sasarai, Franz, Salome, Watari, Melville, Wilder, Rhett, Nash, Guillaume, Piccolo, Mua, Yuiri, Toppo, Hallec, Kenji, Twaikin, Augustine, Landis, Edge, Wan Fu, Rody, Caesar, Louis, Eike, Sebastian, Gordon, Dominic, Peggi, Scott, Hortez, Billy, Elliot, Kidd, Mike, Jefferson, Goro, Arthur, Muto, Barts, Tuta, Dios.
Juliet
Hugo, Chris, Lucia, Rico, Viki, Aila, Lilly, Queen, Jacques, Elaine, Cecile, Ayame, Alanis, Belle, Mel, Connie, Yuiri, Yumi, Gadget Z, Nei, Shabon, Augustine, Sanae, Sharon, Viki, Estella, Rody, Emily, Apple, Luce, Louis, Shizu, Mamie, Jeane, Ernie, Martha, Anne, Kathy, Mio, Iku.
Nurse
Lucia, Rico, Viki, Aila, Lilly, Ace, Queen, Elaine, Ayame, Salome, Alanis, Belle, Mel, Koichi, Yuiri, Yumi, Gadget Z, Nei, Shabon, Sanae, Rody, Emily, Apple, Luce, Louis, Shizu, Mamie, Martha, Anne, Kathy, Mio, Iku.
Guard1
I'll just pick this one randomly.
Guard2
This one too.

**Vote one person per role.**

I might do this play a few times with the runner-ups.

Next time: We'll put on the last two plays, and I'll show you a couple more tidbits.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Nothing else matters....

But Nash MUST be Sierra

Also, have Nash play the wolf sometime.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Neclord's End

Neclord: Landis

Victor: Edge

Flik: Queen

Riou Raiden: Hugo

Sierra: Lilly

Narrator: Nash

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Neclord's End - Starring Gadget Z as Neclord, Muto as Viktor, Augustine as Flik, Lilly as the Cyborg Samurai, Nash as his wife, and Hortez as the Narrator.

Romeo and Juliet - Starring Lucia as Romeo, Louis as Juliet, and Rody as the Nurse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

mauman posted:

Nothing else matters....

But Nash MUST be Sierra

Also, have Nash play the wolf sometime.

I think this guy has the right of it.

There's another play! You can only unlock that one with Suikoden 1 transfer data (ie Suikoden II data that itself had Suikoden transfer data). It's about Barbarossa's last stand. Can't remember the title for the life of me. It's not NEARLY as good as Neclord's End though so I think we'll live.

• Locked thread