Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MythosDragon posted:

Suikoden is one of my favorite series, in fact Suikoden V is the only game I've ever actually played twice in a row. I've never really understood the hate for Tierkries, Sure it's different and is missing some very important traditions like the continuity, but at its core its still entirely about the 108 stars of destiny and has some legitimately great characters and dare I say an enjoyable plot. In fact, I like it just as much as I like 2 and 3. The only major complaint I had about T was that it didnt do cooler things with the multiverse.

There are two complaints that come up most often about Tierkreis. The first one is that "it's not a Suikoden game", in that the other five games take place in a consistent world with an ongoing lore and continuity (even 4 kept that to some degree, though it deviated the most) whereas Tierkreis is its own, independent setting with only a handful of shared trappings.

The other complaint, far less a matter of taste, is that the voice acting is loving abysmal and basically requires you to play the game mute if you want to maintain your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I uh actually never had an issue with the voice acting. In fact, him talking so fast was a plus, less time sat there waiting on it. I do agree on the other point, but it also allowed T to have more fun with its world.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Anyway, this LP is one of the reasons I caved and bought an account, so good luck with it. Also Vilk, I'm a fan, It was great fun rediscovering my love of 5 and giving 4 another chance through your LPs. Back to praying for Suikoden 6, complete with character quests for every star.

I'm still surprised there isn't Suikoden Pachinko yet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Knowing basically nothing about Tierkries, but the game was by a whole different team than the ones who'd worked on the previous games correct? I could understand why they'd rather make up their own thing wholesale rather than messing around with a pre-established world.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm still surprised there isn't Suikoden Pachinko yet.

Good news*!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTG2scXSQw

*Not actually good news.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

MythosDragon posted:

I've never really understood the hate for Tierkries, Sure it's different and is missing some very important traditions like the continuity

It seems to me you understand the hate perfectly well :v:

I certainly do think it's overblown, though - accepting Tierkreis for what it is, it's a perfectly fine JRPG in its own right with some neat ideas behind it.

quote:

Also Vilk, I'm a fan, It was great fun rediscovering my love of 5 and giving 4 another chance through your LPs.

:tipshat:

hanales posted:

*Not actually good news.

At least it looks kind of neat...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

vilkacis posted:

At least it looks kind of neat...

And it's probably all we're ever going to get. :negative:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

As long as things are ripping off Suikoden, we still have hope. Look at the New FE, it took a lot of inspiration from Suikoden and thus I dubbed it Fire Margin. It also increased my hype for that alot, even if I think everything other than the supports are going to suck.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

hanales posted:

Good news*!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTG2scXSQw

*Not actually good news.

Well that's back in 2012 at the least.

I'm sure we'll get a new one that encourages us to HIT THE LEVER and promises some kind of inappropriate adjective violence.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

MythosDragon posted:

Anyway, this LP is one of the reasons I caved and bought an account, so good luck with it.

:3: Welcome to the forums, and also to my thread!

Obviously this is not an update, but--!

Happy birthday, thread! I hope you all had a good holiday and new year and stuff! Mine was not!

As always, thank you for your patience and sorry I suck. An actual update should be up in the next few days, at the very least.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yokaiy, your art is awesome! Keep up the great thread. :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

:3: Welcome to the forums, and also to my thread!

Obviously this is not an update, but--!

That's quite a nose.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Daaawww :3:

quote:

Happy birthday, thread! I hope you all had a good holiday and new year and stuff! Mine was not!
What's up lovely holiday buddy :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a good image editor with me

Alacron posted:

What's up lovely holiday buddy :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

And also this.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
Chapter 5.10 - Take Back True Fire

With two of our four True Runes back in our hands, as well as two of our four antagonists down and out, things are looking pretty good!

It does bring up an interesting question, though -- of our two remaining opponents, Luc and Albert, only one of them seems the fighting type. If we assume that he's very much a thinking man, like his brother and the rest of their family, then I doubt he'll be doing much fighting. So, which path is being guarded by him, and which is being guarded by Luc?

Before we can see how Hugo's doing, the game gives us a short scene of Sasarai and his companions on his way to the True Earth altar.

Also, once again pointing out how the architecture is different here than it was for the last two areas.

Also also, Cecile is adorable. She stops every few steps to look around and guard their back, before running a few feet to catch up to the other three, who are walking at a surprisingly relaxed pace.

Well, I guess that seems fitting for Sasarai.

They walk for a bit longer before Dios comes to a stop.

Thomas turns to check on Cecile, and Dios seems to look around the area suspiciously.

I don't know, there's just something about how Sasarai looks to see whether or not Dios is a bundle of nerves to judge how dangerous the situation is rather than looking around himself that makes me very happy.

: "So it seems."

Thomas isn't convinced.

Neither is Cecile.

There's a really nice camera pan out from behind that pillar there. I couldn't get enough screen caps for a smooth gif of it.

I don't trust that sort of shot -- something is lurking behind these pillars and peeking out at us.

Lo.

And behold.

While I'm sure that this is probably one of Sasarai's favorite pasttimes, now is probably not the time.

Goodness, look at the time! It's Hugo o'clock.

: "Well then, we should be starting out too, Hugo."

Hugo, come on. He's your tactician and this is a Suikoden game. He's going with you to the final battle.

: "And?"

: "Uh-huh."

Party this time is Hugo's "correct" party -- though it doesn't make much difference given that he's our Flame Champion -- and a few other friends Hugo's made on his journey.

Caesar jumps in the party as well.

: "All right, we're set to go. I'm leaving you in charge, Apple."

That's very kind of you, but we're kind of fighting so that the continent doesn't blow up. I think now would be the time to overdo things, if we're going to.

Jeez, what kind of fight did he have with his brother? Like, I know all about sibling arguments, having a sibling myself, but we've never been even close to this angry at each other.

: "Hugo, please be careful. You are the one who holds the key to this war."

Okay!

Let's get going!

Camera pans down from the top, and I am including this picture because I am a sucker for architecture. Once again, the area looks different from the preceding ones.

Since Hugo's our Flame Champion, he gets the boring scene.

: "Kuuueee!"

: "I hope the people heading for the other platforms are okay."

: "Kuuueee!"

This would be more interesting if I had people in slot 2 and 4, I'm sure.

And that's the scene. Welcome to the True Fire path!

It's pretty similar to the other two. Even has an herb in the beginning of the route that is usually not harvestable when you get there like the others.

It's pretty short, though.

It also looks better maintained than the others were.

Hold on, why is there a save point on the mini map? Something about the layout to this room feels odd.

As it should. There's the platform to the left, and the save point to the right, but the ruins go deeper.

I'm not sure if he's talking about the room's distinct lack of enemies or the Fire Rune itself.

This scene is a lot less doofy when there's not a dragon poking his adorable head into the shot. Most of the characters are small enough that they'd be out of the frame.

Also, this answers the question of which route Luc went to. I'm a little worried about Thomas. :ohdear:

: "Albert!!!"

: "Now, you'd better hurry. Even if you retrieve the True Runes, the power of the ones already collected at this site is strong enough to carry out the ritual."

So we're not too late to stop it, but also... kind of too late to stop it. Cool.

Same.

Okay, Albert. You're pretty cool.

: "Weren't you going to collect all five Elemental Runes and destroy the True Rune?"

: "That was his intention, not mine. I've reached my objective. I will get a position of status in Holy Harmonia now."

:aaa:

: "Yes. I intended to lend him a hand when he was a bishop, but he relinquished the title of his own free will."

: "That serves my purpose for now."

Wow.

: "drat!!!"

Albert does a flashy hand-wave.

And a Nariqua pops up behind him.

: "From then on, it's all up to you."

: "You shouldn't leave everything to chance! If you are trying to impress the Harmonians, leaving the runes to be destroyed is still a bad idea, because we can't guarantee you our victory."

: "Even so, I can't kill him. I feel a strange sort of sympathy towards him and his crazy mission. Do me a favor -- try to salvage his soul, if you can."

With his business taken care of, Albert is warped out.

The Nariqua follows in suit.

Hugo muses aloud as he approaches the altar.

Welcome back, dude.

Well, the ruins do go deeper. No prize for guessing who and what we find there.

As if on cue, Geddoe and Chris join us.

: "So, Bishop Sasarai is the last..."

: "Kuuuueeeee!"

The ground rumbles,

as the door blocking the way opens. Albert said that taking back the True Runes would open the way, right? (Or, close enough?) So it looks like Sasarai came through, even if he ran into some trouble on the way.

Scene over, you can run around if you'd like. There's no reason to, though, so let's take a few steps over to the right and trigger the next one.

I feel like this is a mistranslated line. Something like "Where does this go?" or "Where do you think this will lead us?" might have worked a little better.

: "It seems like our destination."

: "This is where we want to be. The site of our last battle."

: "This has to be our last battle!"

And now, we've finally made it. To the final party selection for the final battle of the game. Kind of. There's actually one more chance to choose your party and save after this, but I'll be calling it here for now and going with the same party from here to the end of the game.

Next time, we face Luc.

Sasarai is coming with us. Who else will be coming along?

Please vote for 4 characters and 1 support. I'm not allowing Nei or Emily into the final party, but literally everyone else is available.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Let's do this true rune style.

Hugo, Sasarai, Chris, Geddoe, and then Sgt. Joe and Fubar to help back our Flame Champion up. Can't have a true rune fest without the duck. :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Hugo, Sasarai, Chris and Geddoe are given, I hope. Juan and Shabon because using a party that's not ridiculously overpowered is simply not permitted for a Suikoden endboss and shame on you for attempting to game this.

Note: Yellow Scarves are buyable now if you don't have one...

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

yokaiy posted:

: "Weren't you going to collect all five Elemental Runes and destroy the True Rune?"

: "That was his intention, not mine. I've reached my objective. I will get a position of status in Holy Harmonia now."

:aaa:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have travelled in a saga filled by murderous madmans, racist tyrants, power hungry conspirators and assoles of every kind, yet I may now present to you all the most despicable character ever appeared in the Suikoden world: ALBERT SILVERBERG.

Seriously, we have here an absolute monster, a total sociopath that elaborated a plan that brought entire countries in an absurd war, caused infinite deaths, tragedies and destructions and seriously risked to unleash the end of the world, all of that not for a crazy hatred for humanity brought by personal tragedies, or for duty and honor, or even to bring glory and power to a kingdom; he did all of this only to secure himself a comfy POSITION OF POWER. I cannot even begin to explain how wrong is all of this. Personally I think the Godwins have more dignity than Albert, Maybe Iskas can go fo a tie in the top ten of douchebaggery, but that would be hard. The worst part? He's a karma houdini.

For the final party, all the True Runes: Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Sasarai, Edge and Fubar. Support:Jeane.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 12, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

KataraniSword posted:

Hugo, Sasarai, Chris, Geddoe, and then Sgt. Joe and Fubar to help back our Flame Champion up. Can't have a true rune fest without the duck. :v:

This is the only group that you should ever take as a Hugo flame champion

Make it So + Jeane

Xerophyte posted:

because using a party that's not ridiculously overpowered is simply not permitted for a

Counter - we'll likely have Geddoe (w/ true lightning) in our final party. We have all of the OP we would ever need.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 12, 2016

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Maximum True Runes + Tenkai Star (can't fight the end boss without the main character, duh.)
Support: Jeane.
Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Sasarai, Edge and Thomas.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

mauman posted:

This is the only group that you should ever take as a Hugo flame champion

Make it So + Jeane

These get my vote.

Also I'm guessing the Nei + Emily ban is to avoid Song of Madness shenanigans, but please at least show that off anyway.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Anchors posted:

Maximum True Runes + Tenkai Star (can't fight the end boss without the main character, duh.)

Sounds good to me.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

KataraniSword posted:

Yes perfect.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Geddoe, Chris, Sgt Joe, and Thomas

Rirse fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2016

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Anchors posted:

This.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My vote is for: Chris, Geddoe, Thomas, and the remaining slots are up to yokaiy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Branky, Gadget-Z, Landis, Rico, and Eike.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Hugo, Sasarai, Geddoe, Viki, Futch, Sgt. Joe

Let's get some reminiscence dialogue going. Also, Albert DID learn tactics from Grandpa Leon, who wasn't exactly the nicest of tacticians. You learn from the guy responsible for the Kalekka Incident, you'll learn how to kick puppies for profit and promotions pretty promptly.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

KataraniSword posted:

This plus Jeane as support.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Verant posted:

Let's get some reminiscence dialogue going.

Oh, I forgot to mention this, but Viki and Futch will actually have dialogue for Luc if they come along. Might show it off even if they don't get voted in during one of the alternates.

Bufuman posted:

Also I'm guessing the Nei + Emily ban is to avoid Song of Madness shenanigans, but please at least show that off anyway.

Yup! I do have two more files, after all. :haw: The Chris alternate will probably be the one that gets the shenanigans, since I am not too keen on throwing her knights at Luc, but yeah. I'll be posting abridged fights for the alternates to show off alternate strategies, so you'll still get to see Emily punch the living daylights out of Luc, don't you worry.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
All knights Chris fight....

...................:suicide:

Yuck.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Seconding Team True Rune, feat. Murderous Fowl

Does the true rune team have a union attack?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My choices are Chris, Geddoe, Sgt. Joe, and Thomas with Jeane support.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cecile, Thomas, Fubar, Sgt. Joe. Louis for support.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

My choices are Chris, Geddoe, Sgt. Joe, and Thomas with Jeane support.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The thing about putting "almost masterminded the end of the world" on your CV is that, ultimately, there's no real way to check that.

inverts
Jul 6, 2014
My vote is Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Thomas, Cecile, and Sasarai with Jeane support.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!

Glazius posted:

The thing about putting "almost masterminded the end of the world" on your CV is that, ultimately, there's no real way to check that.

I guess he could get anyone from our army to vouch for him? Not sure if that would actually help his case, though.

Voting will close some time Saturday evening. I could probably call it, but I won't get a chance to play again until after Saturday at the earliest anyway.

Zosephine
Dec 31, 2012

Even my tail feathers concur.
Well, I came back for the big vote.

Bishounen Unite and Koroku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Pie
Apr 16, 2015

inverts posted:

My vote is Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Thomas, Cecile, and Sasarai with Jeane support.

Seconding this group! I like the combination of the True Rune folks with Thomas and his adorable bodyguard, plus the inscrutable babe as backup.

• Locked thread