Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's everyone, I think!

And anime names so far...

Mausu to Dansei no Saikou no Keikaku

Nyarkalotekku Plus+: Beständigkeit GO!!

When the Deep Ones Cry

千影の未来を輝かせて! (Chikage no mirai o kagayaka sete!) Shining Future of One Thousand Shadows!
(almost certainly gibberish

Nyarlatho-san Sweeper X

I am not sure which is the best yet. They are all pretty anime!

For now, let's do some city creation. I am going with...

DUBAI!

From Scott Richard's DA, probably a placeholder, feel free to sell me on better shots!

Now that it's time to make our city, here are some things I'd like each of you to come up with! You don't have to do all the details - if you have an idea for a Location you'd like but aren't sure what aspect/face to give it, we can just do it later. If everyone talked about it and built a few ideas together it'd be cool anyway.

Themes and Threats

You guys need to put together two threats or themes for Dubai. Themes are problems that have been around for a while and come up often when you're talking about the city. Here are DFRPG's examples:

quote:

Some themes are general, things everyone talks about (even if not everyone is directly affected). A city known for corrupt politicians might have a theme like “If he’s a politician, he's mobbed up.”
Some themes are more specific to a group in the city. A college town with notorious fraternity of wealthy troublemakers might have “If the Beta Alpha Chis want it, they get it.”
Some themes are about cautionary tale people tell each other. Imagine the city where “If a pretty girl wanders alone at night, don’t expect to see her again” is a theme.

Threats are an individual, group or a condition actively making Dubai worse.

DFRPG examples that don't work here! posted:

Some threats are people or other beings that have no clear agenda (at least, not right away), but make their presence known through their collateral
damage or other horrible calling cards. Perhaps “A new warlock is breaking the Laws of Magic.”
Some threats give you an idea of their agenda, such as “The Red Court is
expanding their territory into this city.”
Some threats are bizarre and more metaphysical than real, though they don’t threaten mortals any less, such as “The Summer and Winter Courts are using this city in their machinations.”

I am doing one myself to get us started, you guys do the other two. Talk out your ideas! When you've decided which you like the most we can go ahead and slap an aspect on it. Here's mine. (I actually left some details out so you could build on them!)

quote:

Theme: Old Class Grudges
By the late 2090s, Dubai had a bit of a class problem. The workers building up the city were working with dangerous new arcanotechnology without adequate health care or therapy, companies were ripping people off, the wealthy elite were slowly leaving anyway for hip new AEF colonies on Mars, the usual. When construction began on the new offshore arcology, the situation got worse, one thing led to another, outside groups tried to meddle... Eventually, protests turned into mass riots which destroyed much of the city. Eventually the dust settled, Dubai was rebuilt and the class divide problems started to get better... but everyone's still kind of pissed off about it.

Faction
Some group of allied people with influence on the city. They can be regular dudes (a gang, the local police force, etc.), a corporation, a government group (I don't know, the local office of the Bureau of Weights and Measures?), human-like monsters (a minor cult, ghouls, etc) or straight-up monsters (a byakhee infestation, Migou, etc).

These guys don't have to be big players in the city - they are here for background as much as they are sources of help/hindrance for the NPCs. I might be looking for one I can have the Soul Network secretly have a hand in!

We'll go with a max of one each for now. You don't have to make one though. If you do, give them a name, 1-2 aspects, a Goal and a short description!

Locations
A location is a place of importance, be it what's happening there now or something that happened in the past. It could be a suburb, a building, a block, someone's headquarters, a magical portal, an abandoned place, or anything else you feel like. A location should have at least one aspect (two is fine) and might have factions in it.

I'd like 1-2 Locations from each of you. You don't have to post both at once, feel free to build off other people's ideas, etc etc. I will come up with 1-2 to fill in the blanks. If you have a Passion that could fit, an associated Location is a great idea (but it can be tied into someone else's if you want).

Faces
A Face is an individual belonging to either a faction or a location. They can also be the embodiment of a Theme or Threat! A face should have at least one aspect (and probably two) a short description and a goal (which may or may not be the same as the faction they belong to). They can be a mundane person, someone magical (even in the Network or one of its enemies), or straight-up magic.

HELPFUL NOTES

• Right now, I am thinking of Dubai as a sprawling city with a arcology-island off the coast. If you want you can link Dubai and Abu Dhabi in a big ol' metroplex but I am not set on it.

• A rough timeline of events so far, so we know what's what:

2020s: Miskatonic University postgrad Teresa Ashcroft rediscovers magic, CthulhuTech timeline, blah blah.

2035: The D-Engine is invented, revolutionising a lot of fields and annoying a lot of people who relied on there not being an effectively unlimited magic energy source.

2050s: Advances in sublight space travel have colonies being set up everywhere from Venus to Titan; Mars is still kind of the only good one though. Eventually, this becomes the formative Sol Council.

2050s again: This is about when some Yith hop into their emergency bodies under Australia and make themselves known, offering some advances in technology in exchange for refuge. Eventually these Thetans became recluses your average person hasn't seen much of and their descendants became the space drow Akathar.

2060s: Cults are already a probllem by now, but this is when the poorly-named Xanthic Storm spread in power and influence and devastate parts of China, India and nearby countries. This is mostly a fill-in for CthulhuTech's Rapine Storm and I don't like it much yet though.

2064: The Migou introduce themselves by lasering those guys from orbit. Not long after, the Charon Treaty is signed!

2064-2090s: Shrug.

2098-99: The Dubai Arcology Riots leave the city with the Old Class Grudges aspect.

2118: Several secret societies finally join forces in the Soul Network.

2119: Now! About January-ish, in fact.

As long as you can fit it in that we're good. Shrug is a good place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ettin's already taken the obvious class/money conflict and made it a theme. I'm not sure what to suggest for other Themes or Threats at the moment, I'll have to think on that.

Aspect: The Stars Are Right

The Universe is a set of artificial islands designed to represent...well, the universe. They date back about a century, and...well, no one expected them to be significant. Except, of course, for the warlock on the architecture planning. The Universe is a very potent place, if you can manage to harness it, since the stars are always right there. On the other hand, harnessing it's just a little tricky...

Aspect: Modern Science, Old-School Style

Knowledge Village is one of the major school-operated libraries in Dubai...and also the home to the Dubai annex of the Diogenes Club. The entire place has a rather classic feel, styled after a strange mix of traditional Arabic libraries and British clubs. At least as of the latest remodeling. (The next one isn't planned for another decade, though.)

That's what I've got right this second.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I haven't done an Omake yet, actually. So I'm going to barge in on Mina's Volume Three. Sorry Cirno!

Omake: Cinderella Undercover (Mini-Mina)

Wade calls one day and says hey, you need to go to Chicago right now, don't ask questions. So Sharon fakes damage to one of her acoustic modules and gets sent to Chicago. Wade says be in exactly this spot at this time, so Sharon goes and stands on that corner and hopes nobody notices her. This one guy does notice her, though, because he runs into her at speed and they both wipe out. poo poo, the guy says. You just broke your ankle, says Wade. Sharon starts bawling and making a scene, and the guy looks really upset, like he's got to be somewhere. The guy throws his card at Sharon and tells her to call his office and he'll deal with her later. This Albetson guy tears off down the street, screaming about police and waving a gun and get out of his way.

Sharon says, what was that all about. Wade says, earning favors.

Invoke: Wade's Got a Plan, Follow Stage Directions, Practiced Excuses
Compel: We Ran Into Each Other in Chicago, I Know You're Working Together, I'll Find You Both

On Dubai:

As far as Themes, Spec Ops sold me on the idea of the desert steadily encroaching onto the city. With fewer and fewer rich people to give a poo poo about this, it's only a matter of time before the lowest levels of the city are consumed by sand. Whether it's natural or cult-related, I dunno. This can probably be subsumed into the class strife theme if we don't want to make it a Thing.

Faction - S.N.E.A.K.E.R.

A bunch of stupid expatriates, children of the idle rich, and other weirdoes who thing it's a smart idea to go exploring in the desert or to crawl up the side of the arcology. Many of them possess illegal firearms and arcanotech devices. Not very good at urban exploration as a collective body. It's a lucky day for any poor bastard out on the street when a Sneaker gets lost in your territory. You can eat for weeks off the canned rations they all carry, let alone what all their poo poo'll sell for.

Aspects: Suicidally Brave; I've Got a Mission For You, Marked One
Goals: Get into the hidden places of Dubai

Place - 170

Unsurprisingly occupying the entirety of the 170th and 171st floors of Arcology Tower East, 170 is one of the current fashionable places To Be. Notable for its two slabs of glass, one being the giant picture window facing West, and the opposite wall, which is a gigantic oceanarium. Letting the rays of the setting sun strike your rare fish tank directly isn't really a smart idea, but the owners of the club have enough money to buy as many whale sharks as they please. Rumors of narcotics rings operating out of the club are terrible slurs proffered by last season's venues.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I think the whole Xanthic Storm thing can be made less racist and dumb, plus provide a good mook faction for us. First, background!

The Coming Storm
Initially one of thousands of small occult religions spawned in the '40s by the re-emergence of magic, the Xanthic Mysteries rose to prominence during the '50s. Hailed as the fastest growing religion in the world it had millions of adherents. It was the most welcoming of the occult religions, claiming to base its teachings on the secret texts written by Xanth, the last king of Agartha. Within the larger religion was a fanatical core group. The inner circle of adherents learned that the final goal of the Xanthics was to raise long lost Agarthan war-beasts and summon otherworldly creatures with massive blood sacrifices. Ultimately the Undying King would rise again to take his throne and rule the fallen world. This core group called themselves the Xanthic Storm. The Xanthic Mysteries were popular the world over, but especially in Central Asia. Not only did it find many converts in the exhausted and war-torn region, its identification as a holy land in Xanthic literature encouraged many adherents to emigrate. In 2061, the Xanthic Storm judged the moment right and launched their campaign to conquer the world. For reasons unknown - hubris or perhaps incompetence - the Xanthics in their recently completed holy city of Shambhala in Nepal jumped the gun. Murdering tens of thousands of Xanthics not initiated into the Storm enabled them to power massive necromantic engines, prying open gates and raising ancient monsters. Within hours Nepal, Bhutan, Tibet, and Northern India were under Xanthic control, and Western China, Central India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan under heavy assault.

But the early action alerted the rest of the world to the threat - not to mention causing immediate rebellion by Xanthics outside of the inner circles who knew they were slated for mass slaughter. The whole world found itself engaged in the first occult war. It lasted only weeks with few exceptions. The Peruvian Altiplano and the Greater Caucasus were in hot dispute for months, and a swath of the Northern Rockies, extending from Idaho and Western Montana north into Alberta, was under their control for a full year. Fortified sites and insurgent bands held out even after their main forces were broken, especially in the North American wilderness, and around the primary citadel in the High Andes. In Central Asia the Xanthic Storm managed to dig in, creating a theocratic state to oppose the outside world. For years the region see-sawed in a brutal guerrilla war, as multinational forces - forerunners of the NEG - hunted Xanthic fanatics in the mountains and caves, while their army held out in the high mountains near their capital of Shambhala. At one point they even managed a massive offensive that penetrated deep into China before being forced back. Only the arrival of the Migou finally put an end to it all. The final redoubts of the Storm disappeared under a withering barrage of energy weapons.

Though eclipsed by the Children of Chaos or the Green Fury, and having shot their recruitment efforts in the foot for all time, the Xanthics were fanatics even by cult standards. Some splinter factions survive even now. They are known for being exceptionally violent, but not particularly sophisticated. They also spend a lot of time fighting each other, both over matters of orthodoxy and because Xanthics from the rest of the world are still pissed at the ones from Shambhala.
-------------

And here's a faction for us.

Faction - Sons of the Scirocco
A survivor Xanthic faction of the Middle East, the Sons of the Scirocco have devolved into little more than a violent gang with odd rituals and a penchant for screwing up on a truly impressive scale. The Sons are basically an occult version of the idiot Neo-Nazi skinheads in the US - they're dangerous as hell, but mostly to each other, and typically dumb as a bag of bricks. But there is a hard core of true believers who managed to survive the Storm, old hardasses who fought their way out of Tibet and across the deserts until they holed up in Dubai. They're trying to recreate the old cult of their youths, but the material they have to work with is not even bottom of the barrel, it's the poo poo that gets tossed on the ground next to the barrel. The low level Sons of the Scirocco - Jinn - are violent thugs and cannon fodder. Many are addicts. The Ifrits who lead them are little better. But there are rumors of hidden masters, the Daeva, who are much more powerful and dangerous.

Aspects: Violent, Drunk, and Stupid; Faded Infamy; Hidden Masters
Goals: Lower level - Get high and murder people; Higher level - The Storm shall rise again!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 31, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hm, let me just put down some locations and a face right now, if you don't mind.

Aspects: Cubicle Farm; Holy Crap, the OOI's Here?!

Compared to all the other skyscrapers in Dubai, this public office building is almost insanely ordinary. And really, that's just how the Office of Occult Investigation likes it. Because underneath the veneer of white collar workers sipping soycaf and chatting about their families beats the heart of OOI tracking and operations for Dubai and the surrounding environs. As well as one of the more popular places to hold OOI cross-regional meetings. Literally underneath--the offices on the first floor and above are farmed out to such mundane groups as the Office of Veteran's Affairs, but the OOI owns the basement and below. And you almost wouldn't notice unless you saw that one of the elevator buttons needed an ID badge instead of a simple press to work. Obviously once you made it down there, the OOI seal and armed security guard at the desk would make it a bit less subtle.

Aspects: Everybody Needs a Cuppa; The Kitchen Has Ears

A fairly central location by a really busy set of roads means that the YumNum Gahwa Boutique sees a whole lot of business from a whole lot of people. The atmosphere is light and jovial, even at night, and the coffee and assorted treats flow freely. Talk flows freely as well, and while there are some private booths in there, the group who built the place kinda sorta cheaped out on the soundproofing.

Face: Haman Sayid (willing to accept renames)

Aspects: Gonna Make It, Dammit!; Warm, Disarming Smile
Goals: Keep the Boutique open and profitable, even in the face of the apocalypse

Owner of the YumNum Gahwa Boutique, Haman Sayid's story is quite the inspiration--he's the son of one of the poor workers who literally built Dubai from the ground up, and sunk his life savings into a place he could call his own. As such, behind the smile that greets patrons of the coffee house lies a steel backbone that will do whatever it takes to keep the place running. It's been rumored that he actually keeps a shotgun in the manager's office, just in case someone, or something, wants to mess the place up.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 25, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Working on some more stuff, but here's a start:

Aspects: Speak softly and purchase a big stick, Eccentric plutocracy

The name over the door sounds like a law firm, and the baroque interior decor looks like the Charlottenburg exploded, but Collier, Collier, and Nassar is actually the premier arms dealer in Dubai. Gunsmiths to sheikhs, CEOs, and princes, Messrs Collier and Nassar deal in both the prosaic bulk weapons and ammo consumed by the city's corporate security, as well as strange, esoteric pieces; a brace of silver pistols belonging to William of Orange, a match grade sporting rifle designed for a one-armed saudi prince, and, in their inner lobby, the last surviving Karl-Gerät. Given recent events in the world, Colliewr, Collier and Nassar have taken to collecting and designing weapons of a more mystical bent. The firm's ties to the Wolf Lodge go back more than a century, and has recently blossomed into a collaborative venture involving the Lodge and CC&N's more foolish rich clientèle; "monster safaris", where rich idiots hire Wolf Lodge members as guides in search of the most dangerous game.

Face: Georg Collier is the younger of the two Colliers, and heads both the firm's R&D division as well as its mythos arms division. The self-styled "Steve Jobs of Weapons Marketing" loves a challenge, and is willing to build almost any conceivable personal armament, given the right price.

High Concept: Enthusiastic privileged weapons-tech

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 25, 2013

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I propose...

Theme - Meeting of Worlds
Since at least the late 19th century, Dubai has served as a meeting point between different worlds. This only intensified in the late 20th and early 21st century. The Arabic and Western worlds collided in the glittering technological towers of the remade city, while below the people of India and the Eastern world labored to hold it up. When magic was rediscovered, the rulers of the city chose to embrace it and the opportunities it created. When the Thetans revealed themselves, Dubai was first among Middle Eastern cities to welcome them - and the immense profits and prestige their knowledge brought. But Dubai is no melting pot. It is a city of extremes and sharp differences. In Dubai, you can turn a corner and step from Arabia to London, and turn the next to find Delhi, and the next Shanghai. The most extravagant wealth on one street, and abject poverty on the next. Dubai is the city caught between the desert and the sea, where worlds collide.

Aaaaand...

Location - Assassin's Den
Despite having a reputation for being overly conservative and maybe a bit xenophobic, in recent decades the Shinigami have attempted some outreach and expansion. New members from outside of Japan are encouraged to put their own cultural spin on things, as long as they stick to the core principals of hating wizards and being awesome with magical swords. In Dubai, the local chapter fancied themselves assassins, and set up a really sweet base in the poorer and older parts of Dubai. Yes, parts - partially in the Dreamlands, it has a tendency to move around a bit. The entrance always appears as an old red door in a back alley. Unfortunately, something went horribly wrong in the den. No one's sure what, whether it was an attack by an evil wizard or an accident or an attack by a Dreamlands monster, but the upshot is the place is now a realm of nightmares. Still, if someone can get in and out again alive, the den's archives are believed to remain intact, along with a number of powerful artifacts and secret rituals.

Aspects: Your Worst Nightmares, Secrets of the Shinigami Assassins Shinigami, The Door From Nowhere

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 27, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Ettin posted:

Nyarkalotekku Plus+: Beständigkeit GO!!

千影の未来を輝かせて! (Chikage no mirai o kagayaka sete!) Shining Future of One Thousand Shadows!
(almost certainly gibberish

Nyarlatho-san Sweeper X

So these are the most ~anime~ titles so far, I am thinking of combining them. I don't know, Nyarkalotekku Plus+: Sweeper X GO!!: Shining Future of One Thousand Shadows! or something. Just pack a super long title in there.

Anyway, Dubai! Remember that you can (and are encouraged!) to make suggestions on other people's stuff if you like. Also, I just found this. Unless someone else has any ideas for it I am going to think of some. :allears:

Aspects: So Many Stops We Forget Some; Everyone Has A Stake

Dubai's fully automated network of maglev rails, monorails, subways and trams covers the entire city and links it to places beyond - even many people living outside the Arcology don't bother owning a car. Most of it is operated by D/Line, a subsidiary of a foreign government services company under contract to the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority, and branding rights for every station have been sold to some corporation or NEG department - international entertainment corp Park Astrodigital alone named a fifth of the stations in the Arcology after famous bloggers. Surveillance is heavy, and vital parts are built much more heavily than necessary to discourage sabotage, but with so many sometimes-abandoned rail yards, stalled extension projects, obsolete stations, underground rail tunnels, shareholder and satellite corps that don't always play nice with each other and layers of bureaucracy plenty of its corners have been lost forgotten.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Theme: Technopsychosis
The world of today is not the world of yesterday. It wasn't too long ago that we didn't even have magic. Now, we have body swappers, aliens, unlimited and instant global communication, advanced prosthetics and human upgrading, parapsychic power, occult magic, arcanotech, and a large chunk of Asia blown to dust - and that's what's publically known. Unable to handle the constant change, covered in the increasing effects of arcanotech blanketing the world, more and more people are beginning to lose it. Parapsychics have always been edge cases, but arcanotech takes shorter to drive it's engineers mad, children are claiming they see things hiding in the shadows when their AR glasses are on, and heavily augmented humans find it easier to view the world around them as if they were just watching TV. And when these people snap, they take others with them.

Could be a threat if you add something actively guiding it!

Faction: Dark River Security
One of the many lessions Dubai learned from the riots was the need for higher security. Between the riots and the Xanthic Storm, eventually the private security contractor, Dubai Dark River Security was formed - and was shortly given an exceedingly permissive contract for defense of the city. BR Sec is feared across the entire city for their brutality and shock tactics. They rarely use non-lethal offense, and when they do it's only to bring someone in for interrogation - someone who isn't going to be seen again. Current rumors paint them as incredibly ambitious, and having many starkly illegal measures and employees such as unregistered parapsychics or technomancers skilled in hotsim hacking.

Aspects: Security and Order at Any Cost; Always Brings Out the Big Guns; Skeletons in Every Closet.
Goals: Tighten their hold over Dubai, ensure order and "peace" in the city.

Aspects: Shuggoth Crotch Prank.avi; Fertile Soil; Nerd Fight, Fighting Nerds
One of many virtual private networsk, the Elder Sign Fanclub is set up in a server hidden somewhere in Dubai. Officially, the Elder Sign Fanclub is a fansite for occult nerds to talk about arcanotech, magic, parapsychics, technomancy, and any number of otherworldly creatures - and to share badly edited, usually fake videos of them for nerd credit. Unofficially a scouting ground for both the OOI and the Soul Network. Amidst the poor photoshops and are the occasional actual lead on a potential threat, or the personal information on someone who'd make a good Ghost or Tager. The Elder Sign Fanclub was in fact founded by two men, both PS6 agents - one of whom would leave to join Ghost, making it also something of a battleground for the cold war between the two.

Threat: Idle and Desperate Hands
Dubai may have rebuilt and stabilized since the riots, but that doesn't make it healthy. Cult membership is if anything up. The desperation of the lower classes and poverty stricken workers makes for a ripe recruiting ground for cults that promise a better life to come; the vanity and decadence of the upper classes leaves them equally vulnerable to pleasure cults or soothsayers claiming to know the secrets to greater power and immortality. Either way, both groups contribute to the continued malaise that has begun to haunt the city.

Face: Saif Al Mansoury
Aspects: Faust With Many Devils; Predator Amongst Sheep; A Finger in Every Pie

A respected and powerful businessman, Saif managed to grasp true success from the riots. Managing several engineering companies, Saif ensured through political connections that he received most of the contracts to rebuild the city. Since then he continued to buy out other companies and land, and his international worth has only gone up, making him one of the richest men alive. Saif is by all appearances completely and utterly untouchable - and he's made a lot of friends and a few pacts, and not just with humans, to ensure such. He knows there's going to be a price to pay eventually, but he's not paying it today. For now he uses his influences to further both his own causes, and those of his "friends," introducing the other idle rich to exclusive clubs peddling new ideas and drugs, convincing his friends to join him in bizarre, decadent, and horrifying displays of vice, or intentionally setting up city blocks in very specific geometric shapes and patterns.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 28, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Theme - Meeting of Worlds
Since at least the late 19th century, Dubai has served as a meeting point between different worlds. This only intensified in the late 20th and early 21st century. The Arabic and Western worlds collided in the glittering technological towers of the remade city, while below the people of India and the Eastern world labored to hold it up. When magic was rediscovered, the rulers of the city chose to embrace it and the opportunities it created. When the Thetans revealed themselves, Dubai was first among Middle Eastern cities to welcome them - and the immense profits and prestige their knowledge brought. But Dubai is no melting pot. It is a city of extremes and sharp differences. In Dubai, you can turn a corner and step from Arabia to London, and turn the next to find Delhi, and the next Shanghai. The most extravagant wealth on one street, and abject poverty on the next. Dubai is the city caught between the desert and the sea, where worlds collide.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Theme: Technopsychosis
The world of today is not the world of yesterday. It wasn't too long ago that we didn't even have magic. Now, we have body swappers, aliens, unlimited and instant global communication, advanced prosthetics and human upgrading, parapsychic power, occult magic, arcanotech, and a large chunk of Asia blown to dust - and that's what's publically known. Unable to handle the constant change, covered in the increasing effects of arcanotech blanketing the world, more and more people are beginning to lose it. Parapsychics have always been edge cases, but arcanotech takes shorter to drive it's engineers mad, children are claiming they see things hiding in the shadows when their AR glasses are on, and heavily augmented humans find it easier to view the world around them as if they were just watching TV. And when these people snap, they take others with them.

Could be a threat if you add something actively guiding it!

Threat: Idle and Desperate Hands
Dubai may have rebuilt and stabilized since the riots, but that doesn't make it healthy. Cult membership is if anything up. The desperation of the lower classes and poverty stricken workers makes for a ripe recruiting ground for cults that promise a better life to come; the vanity and decadence of the upper classes leaves them equally vulnerable to pleasure cults or soothsayers claiming to know the secrets to greater power and immortality. Either way, both groups contribute to the continued malaise that has begun to haunt the city.

Too many themes/threats! Unless you'd like me to rewrite Old Class Grudgesto work in the last. How do you guys feel about these?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I was just spitballing, I wasn't going for any specific or exact number :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
That's cool! You guys can suggest more even, that is fine with me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ettin posted:

Too many themes/threats! Unless you'd like me to rewrite Old Class Grudgesto work in the last. How do you guys feel about these?

I am down with these, they're cool.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
They work for me, as well. It kinda looks like both themes potentially spiral into the threat, which is a very nice plus.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ettin posted:

That's cool! You guys can suggest more even, that is fine with me.

SURE!

Faction: Gilded Hands
In Dubai, there are high rollers, and there are high rollers. The Gilded Hands is a unofficial group of some of the richest and most influential people in Dubai. They are united by twin interests of being the most powerful, and going beyond even that. There's rumors of strange occultism, of course. Human sacrifice, worship of strange beings, funding illegal gangs and organizations, and general acts of hedonism and sadism. But then, there's always those kind of rumors about the richest of the rich. They're never true.

Aspects: ...But We Wanted Everything; This City Is Our Plaything; Every Rumor Is True
Goals: Own Dubai, AND THEN THE WORLD...!, continue living the good best life

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Realistically speaking, is there even the slightest chance there aren't going to be hella cults all up ins? I mean, it's a C-tech variant.

That said, we should totally some cults around to punch, so if rewriting some themes is required, so be it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Isn't that what the "Idle and Desperate Hands" threat is about, though? Rich ("Idle") and poor ("Desperate") alike turning to powers beyond their mortal comprehension for solace from their boredom/suffering?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Desty posted:

Realistically speaking, is there even the slightest chance there aren't going to be hella cults all up ins? I mean, it's a C-tech variant.

That said, we should totally some cults around to punch, so if rewriting some themes is required, so be it.
Every NTech game is going to have cults and monsters and evil wizards and tagers, oh my, but putting one of those into a Theme means it's a signature feature of the game and the location. In Ettin's Chicago NTech game, one of Threats is the Arcane Underground, meaning we get a lot of occult-flavored criminals as opposed to just out and out cultists. Even the cults that crop up are dealing in criminal activities. Dubai would certainly have occult crooks, but if we don't make a Threat or Theme about that then we won't see them as much as the Chicago game does. The other Chicago Threat is From Below, so often we deal with groups suddenly coming out of hiding to pull off something long planned.

If we give Dubai a Threat about cultists, then we'll deal with a lot of cultists. Or, for example, Technopyschosis would be very interesting re-written as a Threat I think. It would be more like Witch Hunter Robin, say, where we have to keep an eye out for threats cropping up suddenly and randomly. Cults on the other hand would be more deliberate.

Personally, I really like the Old Class Grudges theme, so I vote to keep that. I also really like Technopsychosis as a threat. After that, it depends on what sort of thing we want emphasized. I like the international flavor of the team and think giving the city an international flavor would fit well, which is why I suggested Meeting of Worlds.

The Chicago game has two Themes and two Threats because of the dichotomy between Chicago and Milwaukee - Chicago is all about the hidden places in the big, old city (Abandoned Havens), while Milwaukee is about alchemy and arcane industry (Alchemy City). Maybe we could split Threats for this game? Have one for the arcology and one for the city outside it. Maybe put Technopsychosis in the arcology and Idle and Desperate Hands in the city? Or vice versa. If Ettin is okay with that.

What do you guys think?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Durr double post.

We should probably have faces for some of the main stuff. Like the head of OOI in the area, the head of the Soul Network if we're working for someone, and a face for Arcology (a leading citizen if not an actual official). Also all our faces so far are male, just as a note.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I should warn you that you are only allowed one tsundere.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Alright, alright, hang on, let me make something up here...

Lara LaChesit, Head of OOI Operations in Dubai and the UAE

Aspects: Woman in Black, Perfectionist Streak, "No Comment on Mogadishu"
Goals: Keep OOI's Dubai ops ship-shape; get back into good graces with higher-ups in Hereford

Most people (except people like Arthur) would be utterly delighted to man an entire OOI city branch all by themselves. Lara LaChesit is not one of them. The position actually constitutes a demotion for her; she used to be responsible for Sub-Saharan African Operations until one of the OOI's more public failures blew over, and her head was one of those that rolled to help save the organization's face. (The op was bungled at a much lower level, but the media insisted "she had to have known about it," and so...) She doesn't actually blame the Office or the higher-ups for their decision--she'll never say this out loud, but she'd probably have done the same thing if she were one of the Big Ten in Hereford--but she would like to get promoted back to a full regional command. In the meantime she keeps the Office under her direct management spic-and-span and ever efficient, and insists on wearing a full business suit even on the hottest days. Rumors that she's invoked arcane ritual to keep from sweating, mussing her hair, wrinkling her suit, or otherwise not looking perfect in Dubai's weather tend to be the subject of jokes around the water cooler on lunch breaks.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 29, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The thing I was somewhat broadly going for with technopsychosis is that life in Ntech is probably pretty terrifying. All of a sudden you have the arrival of aliens, you have literal body swappers (or body snatchers to the paranoid!), you have part of Asia blasted away, and loving magic. I decided to add in some stock cliches like cyberpunk's "turning into a robot makes you lose your humanity" and the technomancy bits involving the internet because, eh, I like 'em, and I remember one story in Shadowrun I think? Where a dude went insane and started murdering others and how easy it was because his cybereyes made reality look like nothing more then a TV show. That was cool.

Lovecraft's big thing was that humanity is only sane because we are utterly ignorant to the horrible and uncaring world around us. I figure in Ntech, that ignorance is starting to peel away.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

We should probably have faces for some of the main stuff. Like the head of OOI in the area, the head of the Soul Network if we're working for someone, and a face for Arcology (a leading citizen if not an actual official). Also all our faces so far are male, just as a note.

I got this! Gimme a bit though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ettin posted:

I should warn you that you are only allowed one tsundere.

What's the exchange rate on that for moeblobs? I need a backing band or somesuch.

Etienne Mittner, S.N.E.A.K.E.R. Leader

Aspects: I assure you I am of Arabic descent; Determined beyond reason
Goals: Increase SNEAKER membership, breach Arcology West B54

A native son of a UAE family that claims descent stretching back to the pre-Islamic days, Etienne has more money than any one person could spend in a lifetime and a really bad sense of self-preservation. Seen pictured above immediately before his third expedition to the arcology basement levels, where Mittner claims wealth and power beyond belief wait. What someone with that much cash needs with more money is unknown. After his recuperation was complete and he could speak again, it became clear this third attempt left him the only survivor once more.

The SNEAKERs have an unwavering devotion to this man, possibly because none of them could ever hope to survive the idiotic risks he takes. Perhaps luck is a tangible quality after all; Mittner clearly leads a charmed life.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Gettin' a little too anime in here. Let me do the opposite of helping.

"Takemikazuchi"

(You guys posting portraits makes me feel like I should, have a placeholder :v:)

Aspects: Everybody's Slightly Crazy Friend; Call Down The Thunder; Magatsuhi, I Choose You!
Goals: Help Soul Network members, keep Dubai safe, prove her faction owns

Not everyone in the Soul Network actually works together. The Eldritch Society has its hands full with the Children of Chaos and mostly just calls on the others for aid, the Shinigami have been aloof for like a thousand years and rarely interact outside designated liaisons, and some people just can't give a gently caress. But some people take this poo poo seriously.

Takemikazuchi (it's a codename) is from one of the minor factions. The Devil Summoners use magical rituals derived from ancient scroll fragments to summon monstrous manifestations of their own emotions, and their numbers are few. Until recently they were mostly just weird dudes the Shinigami ran into sometimes; when those guys introduced them to the Soul Network, they suddenly had all kinds of new friends. Some of them made loads of contacts and became Soul Nodes, those who help Soul Network members find the assistance and resources they need. Takemikazuchi is your Soul Node. The Network is big on decentralized power, so her role is less "boss" and more "assistant"... and sometimes, emergency response.

Takemikazuchi is who agents in Dubai invoke call when their mission is going out of control and they need help badly. When Takemikazuchi comes in, everything is so hosed the only option left is to set it on fire and kill everybody. She has some big guns, she's probably para-psychic, and oh yeah, there's Magatsuhi. Magatsuhi hasn't seen action in a long time, but it's a creature born of her own emotions, and word is Takemikazuchi fled to Dubai when her life was destroyed by the Xanthics. It is probably not a being of sunshine and rainbows.

Possible face of the Soul Network... or Technopsychosis :getin:

By the way, anyone want to be mission control? The Soul Network has those - usually in mixed groups it's a G://0st member or a Society operator, but not always, and I see a few of you who could do it if you want. You also don't actually need one, you can just handle everything yourself in the field. If you want though, benefits include loads of surveillance equipment, earpieces and a sweet van.

Also, when I wake up, I am going to put together a list of what we've got so far. If it's enough, I'm just going to start and we can fill in more later if you want.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 29, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
DUBAI

quote:

THEMES AND THREATS

CITY

Meeting Of Worlds (Theme)

Idle And Desperate Hands (Threat)

ARCOLOGY

Old Class Grudges (Theme)

Technopsychosis (Threat)

LOCATIONS

CITY

Anime At The Gates
Aspects: TRIGGER WARNING: ANIME

The Universe
Aspects: The Stars Are Right; Watched By The Government

Knowledge Village
Aspect: Modern Science, Old-School Style

Hamdan bin Mohammad al Maktoum NEG Public Offices
Aspects: Cubicle Farm; Holy Crap, The OOI's Here?!

YumNum Gahwa Boutique
Aspects: Everybody Needs A Cuppa; The Kitchen Has Ears

Assassin's Den
Aspects: Abandoned Base, Secrets Of The Shinigami Assassins Shinigami, The Door From Nowhere

ARCOLOGY

Aspects: A Fashionable Place To Be; A Narcotics Ring? Slander!

Collier, Collier, and Nassar (est. 1902)
Aspects: Speak Softly And Purchase A Big Stick, Eccentric Plutocracy

Algol Extraterran Interests Headquarters
Aspects: A Family Megacorporation, The Road To The Stars Is Paved With Profit Margins

UNIVERSAL

Aspects: So Many Stops We Forget Some; Everyone Has A Stake

Aspects: Shuggoth Crotch Prank.avi; Fertile Soil; Nerd Fight, Fighting Nerds

FACTIONS

Soul Network
Aspect: Alone, We Stand Together
Goals: Do Soul Network things

Dark River Security
Aspects: Security And Order At Any Cost; Always Bring Out The Big Guns; Skeletons In Every Closet
Goals: Tighten their hold over Dubai, ensure order and "peace" in the city

Sons of the Scirocco DEAD as of Chapter 3
Aspects: Violent, Drunk, And Stupid; Faded Infamy; Hidden Masters
Goals: Lower level - Get high and murder people; Higher level - The Storm shall rise again!

S.N.E.A.K.E.R.
Aspects: Suicidally Brave; I've Got a Mission For You, Marked One
Goals: Get into the hidden places of Dubai

Gilded Hands DEAD as of Chapter 2
Aspects: ...But We Wanted Everything; This City Is Our Plaything; Every Rumor Is True
Goals: Rebuild after most of its important members were slaughtered during Chapter 0, Own Dubai, AND THEN THE WORLD...!

FACES

Your Biggest Fan (face of Anime At The Gates)
Aspects: Your Biggest Fan
Goals: Help the stars of Trigger Warning: Anime

Haman Sayid (face of YumNum Gahwa Boutique)
Aspects: Gonna Make It, Dammit!; Warm, Disarming Smile
Goals: Keep the Boutique open and profitable, even in the face of the apocalypse

Georg Collier (face of Collier, Collier, and Nassar (est. 1902))
Aspects: Enthusiastic Privileged Weapons-Tech; "Steve Jobs of Weapons Marketing!"

Saif Al Mansoury (face of Gilded Hands) DEAD as of Chapter 2
Aspects: Faust With Many Devils; Predator Amongst Sheep; A Finger in Every Pie

Lara LaChesit, OOI (face of Hamdan bin Mohammad al Maktoum NEG Public Offices)
Aspects: Woman in Black, Perfectionist Streak, "No Comment on Mogadishu"
Goals: Keep OOI's Dubai ops ship-shape; get back into good graces with higher-ups in Hereford

Etienne Mittner, S.N.E.A.K.E.R. Leader (face of S.N.E.A.K.E.R.)
Aspects: "I Assure You I Am Of Arabic Descent!"; Determined Beyond Reason
Goals: Increase SNEAKER membership, breach Arcology West B54

Fadwa bint Husam al Din, Public Relations (face of Algol Extraterran Interests)
Aspects: Cool Big Sister, Inveterate Xenophile, But You Two Look So Good!
Goals: Make Daddy happy, make Mi-Go and Akathar friends

"Takemikazuchi" (face of Soul Network)
Aspects: Everybody's Slightly Crazy Friend; Call Down The Thunder; Magatsuhi, I Choose You!
Goals: Help Soul Network members, keep Dubai safe, prove her faction owns

If there are any changes or additions you want to make do them soon. Otherwise this is enough for me!

Ettin fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 9, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am going to be incredibly self-indulgent and go with another Location:

Algol Extraterran Interests Headquarters
Aspects: A Family Megacorporation, The Road To The Stars Is Paved With Profit Margins

Algol Extraterran Interests (Trade Symbol AEI) is the current face of the al-Din family business. When oil died as a business, they moved to other pursuits - and have continued to do so to maintain their economic and political power. Now, under the direction of the family's patriarch, Husam ibn Farouq al-Din, the group has taken to space. They are officially interested in asteroid mining and the harvesting of rare earths and materials...but they're also heavily engaged in negotiations with the Mi-Go, in an attempt to open trade further and to control the market on Mi-Go imports. Husam has guided the company unerringly towards profit...even if it might have been saner and safer to focus on things that aren't potentially magically-irradiated space metals or dealings with an alien race of unknown motives. His dealings with the Mi-Go have made several government officials nervous more than once.

Face: Fadwa bint Husam al Din, Public Relations
or
(She likes to change her look.)
Aspects: Cool Big Sister, Inveterate Xenophile, But You Two Look So Good!
Goals: Make Daddy happy, make Mi-Go and Akathar friends

Fadwa is the eldest of the latest generation of al Dins, the first child of Husam al Din. She is the current chief of PR in the family business's headquarters of Dubai, and for good reason: everyone likes Fadwa. She's good at it. Her siblings know they can trust her and come to her for advice, her colleagues know that she's always going to make them look good and her father knows she is loyal above all. Of course, she does have a strange fascination with the Mi-Go and the Akathar, and she's more than a little prone to meddling when she thinks she knows better than everyone else (which isn't that rare), but...well, what better face could Algol ask for, especially given the shady stuff it gets up to?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 30, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Editing it into that post!

And now: IC Thread!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
From Gorby:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

is it okay if I move some of Maximina's skills around? For some reason, when we were folding skills into other skills, i thought athletics got folded into Physique; since it didn't, she probably needs Athletics to keep from getting shot up so much.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sure, go for it!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Okay, I'm going from:

+5 Guns
+4 Discipline, The Most Dangerous Game
+3 Weapons, Alertness
+2 Stealth, Contacts, Physique
+1 Intimidation, Empathy, Resources, Lore

To

+5 Guns
+4 Discipline, The Most Dangerous Game
+3 Weapons, Athletics
+2 Alertness, Contacts, Physique
+1 Intimidation, Stealth, Resources, Lore

Go ahead and lower my last stealth roll by 1.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay, not super important, but I am thinking of changing the way I write the stress tracks. Which of these do you guys prefer?

Maru/Batsu

OOOO

OOXO

Brackets

( )( )( )( )

( )( )(X)( )

Square Brackets

[ ][ ][ ][ ]

[ ][ ][x][ ]

Check Boxes

☐☐☐☐

☐☐☒☐

Tick Boxes

☐☐☐☐

☐☐☑☐

Magical Girl

☆☆☆☆

☆☆★☆

What

====

==≠=

Terrible Idea

✔✔✔✔

✔✔✖✔

Awful

ΔΔΔΔ

ΔΔδΔ

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Magical girl!

No - in seriousness either square brackets or check boxes, though X and O is okay if it's a matter of ease of typing, especially on a mobile device.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I vote brackets or XOXO because the others are too hard to type on my Kindle.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

My vote's for XOXO. I like the affectionate damage.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Matsu/Baru is the fewest keystrokes; let's go with that!

(I'm guessing it's Japanese for "round/X", right?)

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The check boxes don't show up properly on my phone anyway, it seems.

I'll stick to Maru/Batsu.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Also, for the record: I am currently planning a second game that ties into this one, but as it relies on a) Chapter Zero being at least close to over and more importantly b) an IRL thing that I cannot control, it is not happening yet and I haven't worked out what to do player-wise. Don't hold your breath!

At the moment it looks like I might have to wait to start in March instead, so apologies to anyone waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
1,500 words. I had nothing to do that hour!

If you guys want some FLUFF I can do this poo poo all night though. :words:

• Locked thread