Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I loved the fight scene choreography, and just how over the top everything was. Did anyone else see Spartacus do his little whirly-sword maneuver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Looks like some intern at Starz is trying to make the "Spartacus Meme Generator" a thing:

https://www.facebook.com/spartacus.starz/app_118812394958487
I really hate when shows try to do this. Workaholics tried to do it, but they could never capture the subtle and layered humor of say "Bachelor Frog" or "Bad Luck Brian"

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I love all the brotastic combo takedowns they're throwing in this season. Watching Spartacus take that one guy out with a flying leg sweep got me thinking about old school WWF wrestlers, and now I can't look at Gannicus without thinking of Shawn Michaels:

Or hearing his theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lUupa6z2WQ

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
The "undefeated Gaul" sure does get his rear end kicked a lot.

VDay posted:

Is the dude playing the guy that Caesar befriended/tricked Robert Redford's son or something? I seriously can't not see him as that whenever he's in a scene and it's distracting as hell.

Chef Bromden fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 23, 2013

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Crassus' before and after. I had seen some of the special features about their bootcamp, but it seemed like everyone else came in with a base level of fitness. This dude couldn't even do 10 sit ups.

Chef Bromden fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 24, 2013

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

calandryll posted:

Oh Gannicus :allears: They should do another spin off with him.

I would watch the poo poo out of "Fightin' Round the World" With Gannicus.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Scuzzywuffit posted:

The other thing I would be down for is having the cast completely switch genres and make like a medical or legal drama, except they're entering the courtroom/operating room still decked out in full gladiator attire and throwing in as many memorable lines as possible. Everybody else in the show is dressed completely normally and nobody comments on this.

"The Patient is mired in PISS and poo poo and you talk of HMO's? We must spread cheek and ram home endoscope, and seize polyps this day!"

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Now I'm just imagining him double wielding scalpels while the camera zooms in in slow motion on the patient's gallbladder.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Since there's no new episode tonight, I'll be getting my Spartacus fix with this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

Andy would have done it better.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

...iconic, right?

Ionic. He was talking about the anachronistic columns.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
So Caesar was just going to rape Tiberius all the way home, right?

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I found the actual commercial and its even weirder with the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8H77RJnP8

Spartacus: The Champion of Crunchiness, The bringer of flavor

Chef Bromden fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 8, 2013

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6waRMm6rJU

I like this line so much I misremembered it as being said by Batiatus.

Batiatus Sr. comes back with the :master:
"If I held such desire, you would be split in two."

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

So that's why Spartacus wore snake armor all season! I was wondering if there was some significance to his sigil.

There is a basis in fact for this as well. Legend has it that one night a snake coiled itself around Spartacus' face as he slept. His wife was a priestess of Dionysus, and snakes are pretty important to followers of Dionysus, so she interpreted the snake as a lucky sign, an omen that her husband would become powerful. After the escape from the ludus her preaching and prophecies may have contributed to Spartacus' leadership and ability to recruit slaves by lending him a mythical quality. Dionysus was used both as a patron saint (of sorts) for Thracians and the poor and enslaved of Rome, so it was a pretty important part of Spartacus' identity.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Barry Duffield has been thanking every new person who "Likes" him on Facebook by name. Seems like an awesome dude.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

This was Liam's best episode yet. He was loving terrifying covered in blood raging through the battlefield, especially up that hill.

I didn't really feel like Liam was Spartacus until the second to last episode, but once he owned it he rocked it.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The Terminator 2 parody episode of Xena owned so hard.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I just started Rome and Titus Pullbro is the best broman.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Manu Bennett as Conan would rock so loving hard.

I loved Manu Bennett but the grimier he got the more I noticed that he never closes his mouth. It just hangs there, slack jawed, like the beard is weighing his jaw down.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
so what was up with the getae's faces in the first episode?

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
I'll second Centurion. It's good for what it is, Fassbender is great, and it's free on netflix

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Looks like our cocks will have to rage on in less satisfying ways such another Hercules sword and sandals movie:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spartacus-star-joins-kellan-lutz-444070

I was hoping they were going to have him play Iolaus.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Imagine what Spartacus would be like if they spent $6 million an episode. They could fill an actual arena with bloodthirsty topless spectators and the actresses wouldn't have to share merkins.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

etalian posted:

I wouldn't be mad if they just used re-used the whole Spartacus cast in a more modern setting such as a police procedural or sit com, the cast is so hilarious when they get together.

So here's Ashur as a cop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZagw3B33Fc

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Your username is gaydudebroman. The show about gay dudes and bro romans was tailor made for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Kinda wish they completed the Crassus legacy and showed his failed campaign in Parthia.

I really hoped there would be a coda depicting this, and either Nasir or Agron would be the ones to execute Crassus. Considering that Crasus' final battle was at Carrhae which is right on the border of Syria and Turkey, and Nasir was Syrian I figured it would work.

• Locked thread