Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy Christ, I don't know why I never thought about a piracy TV series.
That looks pretty amazing, love how filthy it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

anyone going to ComicCon
first 200 to see episode 1 get a free wristband!

http://www.starz.com/Originals/BlackSails/RSVP

Okay, now that's just loving :black101: as gently caress.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tokubetsu posted:

I now own all of Spartacus on BR. Shed a single tear:

Will forever be preaching it's gospel.

Oh man, jealous.

I still need to get the show on disc... and definitely need a BR player at that, I can't even imagine how beautiful a show like this would look in hd.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hah, that's about $270 more than I can even afford right now.
I'm not in a hurry, I'll most likely get one by the end of the year.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Honestly, Spartacus does LOOK like poo poo if you were to watch a promo for any episode.

Though, lets not get ahead of ourselves, that movie really does look loving awful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

the posted:

So I watched The Hobbit again, and I could swear I recognized the "face" of Azog, the White Orc.

Turns out:

Suddenly I'm almost willing to forgive P.J. for Azog.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PaybackJack posted:

Powered through this show over the weekend. I skipped the Prequel Season because after Season One I had no interest in seeing more Batiatus and Lucretia, then she appears in season two. Then Lucretia appears in Season Two and I turned off a bit to the show. Definitely the weakest of the seasons was Season Two. Gannicus turned into such a great guy by the end of Season Three I feel sorry he got the worst of it, I might go back and watch the Prequel for more of him now. I liked that the bad guys in Season Three were fairly interesting as opposed to earlier Seasons. Crassus only real failing was that he was a Roman, at the end when he tells Spartacus he's sad Spartacus wasn't born Roman it's like the perfect summation of that he just never got it. Caesar was an rear end in a top hat, but they gave him a couple moments where you felt a little sorry for him, and similarly you kinda felt like he was just on the wrong side of things; in another world there would have been a Caesar/Gannicus buddy show about whoring and drinking around Rome. The chick that replaced Nasir after season one never won me over like the original girl, but I felt like the guy who replaced Spartacus did a good job taking up the role; I was mostly amazed that he had like exactly the same gruff intonation as the first guy.

Overall thoughts on the show are that it ranged from awful to good depending on the character arc you were talking about. If you don't mind the over the top nature of it, that aspect can be pretty enjoyable. Definite 300 vibe from the whole thing. I like what I've seen of Black Sails more, and this won't be high on my list of shows to recommend but it was worth watching after my initial dismissal of the show one episode in.

How the gently caress can someone be so wrong? Did you not even really watch it?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 24, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bloodbath posted:

I just marathoned through the whole of Spartacus in the past week or two and it was so good! I wrote it off years ago as a bit cheesy and silly, but wow I really really loved it. Really sad that there's no more episodes to watch now :(

Apart from Rome - is there anything similar in style? I loved the combat, flowery language, awesomely cool goodies and horribly villainous baddies.

Game of Thrones, The Tudors, I Claudius, and The Borgias.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Arrow turned into generic cringey CW garbage this last season, I'm not sure I can safely recommend it to anyone anymore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Space Pussy posted:

Arrow's quality increases drastically if you fast forward through the Laurel scenes.

Then you have to deal with Sarah acting(i use this term loosely here) like an idiot.

I think the show is improved drastically if you just fast forward to the action sequences.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

From like episode 7 or 8 it was just balls out awesome. If you can't wade through, it's your loss. Spartacus was no different

Spartacus did not have CW levels of poorly written cringetastic angsty drama.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BreakAtmo posted:

Hey, I don't have an issue with someone not liking it, just with someone thinking they know more about a show they've seen 3 episodes of than people who have seen all 40-something episodes and acting like some kind of authority on it. I don't like the CW poo poo either - I rolled my eyes at it on Arrow while enjoying the other parts, and part of the reason why I love the show is that in Season 2 the crappy melodrama was toned down a hell of a lot in favour of better character development and badass action scenes.

You can't be serious.

Sarah at the last second of the end of season 2: "I-I just remembered... I... I KILLED PEOPLE! I must go... GOODBYE!"

Or even Slade to Laurel at the end of an episode: "OLIVER... IS THE ARROW!" *walks away*

Laurel talking to Black Canary(which is just Sarah with... an even blonder wig on top of her already blonde hair? And a domino mask and cleavage outfit) "You should meet my sister she's the best and bravest and greatest person I ever met!... even though she hosed my boyfriend and then pretended to be dead for a number of years thus effectively destroying the family."

I could probably go on forever.

edit: I think the number one thing that really killed a lot of the goodwill I had for the show was how they handled Slade's turn to the darkside and basically attributing it all to Ollie being responsible for Shado's death, a character we barely knew and were somehow supposed to believe that her and Slade were in love.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought Sarah left because she had to, due to making a deal with the League. It was not due to her loving killing.

She doesn't love killing, she left because she suddenly remembered she's a bad person that kills people and doesn't want to be around Oliver or some lame rear end poo poo like that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

As much as i love this thread, why is Arrow still under discussion in here when the arrow thread is still active?

No clue, btw thread, thanks for recommending Banshee... tits within the first minute of the pilot and then a loving crazy chase sequence involving a tipped over double decker bus before the intro. God drat.

Also the gore is certainly a thing. :stare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Their cocks rage on.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's definitely tough to recommend anything that doesn't hook immediately these days, no one has the patience to sit through iffy first seasons or an iffy first handful of episodes to get to the meat of a show anymore.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PopetasticPerson posted:

Having recently finished the series again, for seriously like the 5th time, is there anything else remotely like it? I attempted to get into Black Sails but failed due mostly to my constantly comparing it to Spartacus. The best part of this show was easily the dialog, but that and the fights, tits, characterization, and moral complexity combined into the most loving awesome thing...I'm willing to settle for 3 out of 5, if such a thing exists that I haven't already seen. Make recommendation and find it well received, to harden flaccid spirit as virgin cock in a brothel.

:razz:

Black Sails and Spartacus' similarities start and end with them being on the same network really.

I'd echo what everyone else recommended in the past: Banshee and Strike Back, they're extremely violent, vulgar, sex filled, and have a great story to tell.
Otherwise, I don't know, Spartacus is in a league of its own really.

You could give Vikings and The Last Kingdom a shot, they're not as over the top as Spartacus but they're good period TV!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DarkCrawler posted:

Also the Walking Dead is an entirely different show and has crazy amounts of slog but it's similar in that it has bunch of desperate people band together and by some point everyone is a brutal killing machine willing to eliminate even the slightest threat to the group without hesitation. Also it has about the same amount of blood and gore although again, very different.

It's also not even remotely good.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Keito posted:

TWD is however pretty fun. The source material doesn't exactly have Shakespearian qualities to it so I think the showrunners are doing an alright job all things considered.

Yeah, it's really fun to watch bad actors for 6 seasons deliver bad lines and make terrible decisions while occasionally fighting zombies and nearly dying but not really cause the show has no balls and has to make zombies a boring plot device whose lethality ebbs and flows with the plot requirements.

I will admit that I mostly liked the very first season but it went to poo poo by the finale and then Season 2 had them looking for a little girl while stuck on a lovely farm for the entire season to reveal the twist everyone knew was coming from the episode she went missing.

And then I hate-watched it for season 3; governor was kind of fun but Michonne was terrible, and a little bit of season 4 before finally dropping it.

Its only saving grace is that the zombies are really well made and the gore can be pretty fun, you have to deal with every lovely thing in between though.

Seriously, don't watch The Walking Dead, hell, the showrunners even said that they have no loving end in sight.
I love watching shows without any narrative plans!

Sorry, I'm really loving sour about it cause I was insanely excited for it back in the day due to loving most of the source material.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

vyst posted:

The autism is strong in this one.

Sorry I insulted your favorite tv show. :qq:

• Locked thread