Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The difference between this game a few months ago and now is staggering. If you've heard bad things about this game in the past, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot when open beta hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

giZm posted:

Ugh, I hate their downloader so much, is there a different way of getting the game? A .torrent or something?

What problem did you have? It worked for me right away

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

pogothemonkey0 posted:

The art direction is actually my biggest complaint, though. To be fair, it's not very big complaint. I'm just not a huge fan of the gritty grimdark look. I think they could have made a dark fantasy game with a little more visual flair (diablo 3 took it a little far). I hope that you start looking more badass as you level, getting cooler looking poo poo because I think that progression is really important in keeping me interested.

Can anyone who has played to the higher levels verify if the armor and stuff starts getting cooler? I know they said they would be adding purchasable cosmetics but I probably won't want to pay money for an online flaming hat...

While the gear itself looks cooler, as the devs said, they want you to look like you're wearing gear you've scavenged from the ruins of a destroyed continent. A specific example was that weapons will never glow unless you're using a skill or you buy a cosmetic sword glow

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mr.48 posted:

Thats a pretty odd decision. I mean it would be an item of pure convinced that wouldn't give buyers any actual power. Tthey could raise quite a bit of money with those while keeping the game balanced.

The idea is that if you want a vastly different character, reroll.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mr.48 posted:

Welp, looks like I'll be putting off my totem templar. Also, am I understanding this right:

"The Elemental Equilibrium keystone passive skill now grants a flat amount (+25%) of resistance to each element you hit with and a resistance penalty (-50%) to each element not present in the hit."

So if you alternate between 2 attacks with different types of elemental damage you can reduce monster resistance to 0, and keep them low (between 0% and 25%) indefinitely?

Lets say monster X has 75% resistance to cold and fire and I alternate between cold and fire attacks it seems like his resistances will looks like this:

X's resists: cold...fire
Before attack 75% 75%
Hit with C 100% 25%
Hit with F 50% 50%
Hit with C 75% 0%
Hit with F 25% 25%
Hit with C 50% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%
Hit with C 25% 0%
Hit with F 0% 25%

The resistance reduction gets even more severe if you cycle with all three elements because each resistance type will get lowered by 50% twice for every time it gets raised by 25%.

Edit: Also if monster resistances can go into negatives like Diablo 2 then this keystone is even more overpowered :psyduck:

I don't think it stacks, it's just a one time thing, or a duration buff that doesn't stack. So if it started at 75/75, it would alternate between 100/25 and 25/100

e; I should refresh

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Underwhelmed posted:

That is.... generous. It seems a little odd to allow that many and still sell them, not that I am complaining.

The idea is that with all the leagues and poo poo 24 isnt unreasonable.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:stare: Speaking of uniques that have no level requirement and could be useful super lategame...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Basically the longer I play this game the more fun it gets.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/392

Loot is supposed to be competitive, the timer is there to compensate for lag or being a ranged character and not near the mobs when they die. I really like the system they have set up here, though it could use some tweaking.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

^^ This literally already exists

Bobnumerotres posted:

Or they can just do instanced loot, which is better and more fun for everyone, and doesn't punish people for not clicking stuff immediately.

I disagree, I think having an element of competitive looting is fun. Besides, the timer exists to give people a more fair shot at loot. Seriously, read the dev post I linked last post, it gives good insight as to why the system is the way it is.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DemonMage posted:

This is an absolutely terrible reason to design something in a cooperative game. Gameplay trumps lore. And directly competing with your friends for loot in an otherwise completely cooperative experience is completely nonsensical. At least with the bandit quest it makes a tiny bit of sense, but again gameplay should trump that effectively lore reason.

But the whole point is that your 'group' is just a few people who happened to be exiled at the same time, that's no particular reason to have a lot of trust in each other. It's a matter of taste, and frankly sorry if your tastes don't match the developers or other people in this. I think it's a great mechanic.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Oh my god why does the last boss do so much damage :psyduck:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I call this image "The walk from A2 start to Town, Cruel Difficulty"

e; Both bows are 5 socket, the Sorrow Fletch is RGBG+G

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

After the silliest race I've ever done, I won an alternate-art quill rain :3:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I said come in! posted:

Returning from a long break from the game, I have a level 35 Marauder with around 300 str. I badly need new gear though, some of the pieces I had before I can no longer use due to how I respecced my character. I was wondering if anyone had anything they could offload to me on standard league?

Get in the #pathgoons irc and I can hook you up

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ronald Nixon posted:

Is single target attacking viable in the long run? I've been working on duelists who mainly do single attack stuff with a lot of jumping about (e.g. dual strike with flicker, leap and whirling blades). Mana is a big problem, but as long as the desync plays nice, it's a cool way to play. However, when I look at videos of others I see AOE effects being used, and things just get demolished all at the same time which I find impossible to do. I get disheartened, and then my playstyle seems less fun.

You could always try the melee AOE support gem, it's how I've been running a Double Strike mace build.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ixjuvin posted:

So are there respecs yet

There always have been?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Godinster posted:

Good to know. I'm sitting on a pile of FG and intend to spend it on here if it's worthwhile. I guess FG is in direct competition with their micro transactions thing so it makes sense.

Thanks for your help dudes.

FG doesn't compete with their cosmetic microtransactions at all, they just don't want people selling poo poo off-site or for real money.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I hadn't seen any official confirmation about Steam Wallet interaction with PoE microtransaction stuff so I sent them an email

quote:

Hi <Skyl3lazer>,

Thanks for your patience. The answer is yes, you will be able to
purchase microtransactions using your steam wallet money. If you have
any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Kieren

Sell of those old TF2 hats for some stash space :toot:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I have spare points from early closed beta, so unless anyone really wanted to I can create the guild tomorrow and get some space in it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'll post about how to join it and poo poo whenever it's created tomorrow.

By the way if you're around for the launch, get in the IRC as we form groups for new leagues and stuff!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So with knowing what we do about guilds...

We have about 4 people who have said they're going to donate points. We'll have the potential for about 100 slots immediately, but I doubt demand will actually go that high.

Guilds are CROSS LEAGUE and ACCOUNT BASED

Since this is real money stuff, the way that I was planning handling this was:

In IRC (or SA), send me a private message if you've submitted points to be donated, and specify if you only want them spent on expanding the guild, only on stash, or on either. Also include your POE name you donated from. We'll get the size of the guild large enough to fit people as they join,so we dont waste a bunch of money on space, as well as immediately activating anyone who says they want to pay for stash tabs. If we get the guild large enough and there's still people who only wanted to pay for space, I can just decline to accept the donation and you'll get your points back. People who said their points can go to either will be used first to expand the guild, then this weekend at some point I'll use whatever points have been donated and havent been used for guild expansion for a final stash tab rush.

I'll be doing invites from IRC all day today, so jump in there if you want an easy invite. Just set some part of your profile thing to 'poe guild' or similar and link it when you ask for the invite.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lonter posted:

Didn't they say we couldnt use the existing files on Steam? Do I have to download everyhting from Steam again or what's going on..

Steam updates through steam, not launcher, and they said the file format is differently. You can patch on the non-steam build, then DL through steam as you play :v:

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 23, 2013

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

orphean posted:

Looks like the guild slots are permanent at least. I'd be happy to donate :10bux: to unlock another 10 slots if whoever is setting up the guild gets something going.

Yeah it's up and going, look at my previous few posts to see the deets. Basically IRC is the easiest way, or you can PM me on SA w/ your in game name, or similar.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Since it hasnt been mentioned in a while:

There is a goon guild up, get in the IRC or pm me on SA to join it. Same as any other game, put POE somewhere in your profile, link that, and the in game name of any of your characters, and you'll get invited.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Why the hell does this game have unique names :psyduck:

Because characters can switch leagues, and friends/etc are account based, so adding any character from an account adds the account.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Asproigerosis posted:

Is it possible to have a 2 handed berserking kind of dude that can actually survive in the end game? I was always sad with the diablo games that a two hander barbarian would become useless in the higher difficulties.

Yeah stuff like Immortal Call plus a lot of armor/life can let you do that stuff.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Do you lose the weapon forever if it dies?

Or if you change zones, or if 30 seconds pass, or if it dies, the weapon is gone forever. Poof!

Jelly posted:

Any quick and easy way to migrate an old PoE install to the official steam install?

Nope

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ok, a few things:

1) Don't loving fight Caliga in HC

2) Dominus: :stare:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Apple Craft posted:

And holy cow do these microtransactions seem expensive. Yet another game that relies on "whales" instead of volume. That's pretty much my only complaint so far. Well, except that the skill tree looks like something I would make on copious amounts of cocaine.

The way I look at it, the game is totally and utterly free. The one semi-game-related MT is stash space, which is pretty cheap and goes on sale regularly. Everything else is similar to a humble-bundle style "how much would you pay for this game at full price" thing, so a 28 dollar sword glow just means you'd like to give them 30 bucks for making a cool game.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Raitzeno posted:

One passive point refund at a time, costing some actually pretty serious currency if you're not rolling in it, is not what I would call a "reasonable" respec possibility.

In other news, holy poo poo I finally got an Elemental Hit gem, it's now a quest reward for Shadows in that new Library zone, jesus hell. I have been trying to get my hands on one of those without breaking the bank since I first started the game all those months ago.

Like someone said earlier, your account is what progresses as much as any individual character does. You get ~12 free respec points, and if you're really that far off from a usable build late game you should reroll. This isn't some like, binary (WORKS/DOESNT) thing, any reasonable build that isn't completely terrible will be able to make it through the first two difficulties, and probably a bit into the third before you even have to think about maybe shuffling some points around. Even 'sub par' builds can work in maps and such with decent gear.

I think the only build you could do that would straight gimp you forever by cruel would be taking both CI and EB, granted those are only like 6 points apart for whatever reason :v:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mr. nobody posted:

I'm like 10 minutes into playing this for the first time, are there any "town portal" like scrolls/abilities?

Or, is this not a "gather/sell loot to buy more loot" type game, is it all drops modified by the 'currencies' in the OP?

How else do you get those currencies, if not for selling loot? (inventory seems too small)

Yes there are portal scrolls, and of course there are drops as normal. The currencies are just to try to make loot better, or make it faster, at a cost.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I wish the drat website version of the passive tree would zoom out more. I hate being forced to full-screen to get any idea where the hell I am.

The weird thing is that there's like a 'full screen' version of it that does show more at a time, I just have no idea how the gently caress to get to it. The third party builder are usually easier to use, and there's an offline one that's fantastic as well.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

warriv13 posted:

Anyone know where to get the Cast on Damage Taken gem? Is it just a random drop?

Random drop, and possibly an a3 merciless quest gem, but we don't know.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Xaris posted:

An Animate build may be pretty interesting. I really like Animate Guardian/Weapon but they just die too quickly and might require a Rejuvenating Totem to keep them alive. Has anyone tried a heavy summoning build using them?

Probably not because those skills are terrible. They despawn when you change zones, and the summoned weapons only last for 30 seconds on top of that. Also, they both consume the gear you use on them, so it's really impractical to ever use them.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hello Every Body!

:siren: UNTIL THE PURGE THE GUILD IS FULL :siren:

Here's a big important :frogsiren: GUILD ANNOUNCEMENT :frogsiren:

We're nearly at capacity, and not just what people have donated capacity, we've hit the upper size guilds can be currently! Therefore, we'll be doing a purge on 11/1, since it'll have been a bit over a week since the launch and some people probably quit already. To avoid the unhappy purge fate, make sure the words DONUT PURGE are at the FRONT of your status message. You can set that message in your 'social' tab. I dont care what's after those two words, so you can still fit in your leagues or whatever, but since there's no way to tell how long it's been since someone logged on, we have to do it this way. It doesn't matter when you set this message so long as DONUT PURGE are the first two words in your profile on the First of November 2013 at around 4:00 est or whenever I happen to start purging. You can set it now and unset it after the purge is done, when I'll make another post in the thread here. Obviously if you've donated you have a 3 month purge-immunity anyway, so we'll see if they've programmed in an error message when I run into that. To those of you that are thinking of just always leaving those two words in your profile to avoid purges, whenever I do these the starting words will change. I'm clever like that!

Anyway, general guild info for people who havent seen it:

The goon guild Pants in Exile <GOATSE> is a 200-slot guild that any goons are free to join! There are no level requirements, guilds are cross-league and account based. To join, either
1) PM me on SA, giving me one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Account names will not work.
2) Join our IRC. Once on IRC, message Skyl3lazer or Katasi, and include A LINK to your SomethingAwful Profile, wherein you have written POE, and one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Again, account names will not work!
If for some reason you gently caress these steps up you'll probably think I'm all mean or whatever when I ask you to correct them, or when I think I've invited you but you gave an account name instead of a character name and it just didnt invite you at all.

In addition, once I invite you you'll have around 24 hours to accept the invite before I recall it, since people who have an invite pending count against the number of people in your guild.

Thanks for reading!

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 28, 2013

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fennesz posted:

Might not be a bad idea to have a "B-Team" guild for people like me who enjoy playing the game but don't really know dick about how to optimize a build or what the hell to look for in 'good' gear drops, etc.

I mean, someone is welcome to set it up but to be honest it's not a big deal to get reinvited if you happen to get purged at some point. No need to waste money really. This will probably be the only purge we need to do since I'm sure a fair number of people logged on, got invited, played for an hour or two, and didn't ever log on again for whatever reason (just as happens in every game). If in the future we get to 190 or so people I'll do the same type of thing, but I dont expect we'll honestly have more than 200 concurrent and constant players before they up the guild size limit.

Also I dont get where the idea that people in the guild are all minmaxing or hardcore or whatever. The guild is a chatroom and a stash to share loot for other people leveling characters.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So currently Standard league won't have access to the 13th stash tab (out of 14) that we've purchased because whenever I try to rename it to Haunted Tab it crashes.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

A friendly reminder for this page so I stop getting PMs when I cant do anything with them!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hello Every Body!

:siren: UNTIL THE PURGE THE GUILD IS FULL :siren:

Here's a big important :frogsiren: GUILD ANNOUNCEMENT :frogsiren:

We're nearly at capacity, and not just what people have donated capacity, we've hit the upper size guilds can be currently! Therefore, we'll be doing a purge on 11/1, since it'll have been a bit over a week since the launch and some people probably quit already. To avoid the unhappy purge fate, make sure the words DONUT PURGE are at the FRONT of your status message. You can set that message in your 'social' tab. I dont care what's after those two words, so you can still fit in your leagues or whatever, but since there's no way to tell how long it's been since someone logged on, we have to do it this way. It doesn't matter when you set this message so long as DONUT PURGE are the first two words in your profile on the First of November 2013 at around 4:00 est or whenever I happen to start purging. You can set it now and unset it after the purge is done, when I'll make another post in the thread here. Obviously if you've donated you have a 3 month purge-immunity anyway, so we'll see if they've programmed in an error message when I run into that. To those of you that are thinking of just always leaving those two words in your profile to avoid purges, whenever I do these the starting words will change. I'm clever like that!

Anyway, general guild info for people who havent seen it:

The goon guild Pants in Exile <GOATSE> is a 200-slot guild that any goons are free to join! There are no level requirements, guilds are cross-league and account based. To join, either
1) PM me on SA, giving me one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Account names will not work.
2) Join our IRC. Once on IRC, message Skyl3lazer or Katasi, and include A LINK to your SomethingAwful Profile, wherein you have written POE, and one of your CHARACTER NAMES. Again, account names will not work!
If for some reason you gently caress these steps up you'll probably think I'm all mean or whatever when I ask you to correct them, or when I think I've invited you but you gave an account name instead of a character name and it just didnt invite you at all.

In addition, once I invite you you'll have around 24 hours to accept the invite before I recall it, since people who have an invite pending count against the number of people in your guild.

Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lungboy posted:

What's the best single-target attack to go with 2-handed Spectral Throw? Heavy blow? Frenzy?

Double Strike seems to be the preference. And yes, currently ST can't shotgun, but I think they've said they want to revert that change. Keep in mind that hasn't happened yet :v:

• Locked thread