Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Crawfish posted:

So NOE have decided to revert Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's name back to Luigi's Mansion 2 for PAL release.

I don't know what NOE has against overly acceptable sub titles and why they need to replace them with a bunch of words like Let's go to the City, or a plain old number like this.
Because Dark Moon is a loving terrible subtitle.
NoE did good on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese version's been out for a little while now, so unless they add radical new features for the international release we already know everything there is to know.
Yeah, unless they change the game for the western release and ignore/patch the Japanese version, any miiverse stuff will just be that the game has its own community for people to post stuff on and it won't actually be integrated in the game.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Jet Ready Go posted:

What was that anime flying game everyone was so hyped up about when it came out last year? I can't for the love of christ figure out what its call or how to find it in the loving store.

It was like.. a 3DS shooter flying game? Not a bullet hell.. but 3D like FPS.
Liberation Maiden?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

noirstronaut posted:

Jesus, these Layton games just do not stop.
Well this is apparently the last one (or at least the last one starring Layton) so now they do.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Davedave24 posted:

So it's actually a sequel to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat?
Oh man I'd be down for a sequel to Jungle Beat, that game was awesome.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's unfortunate, but a very small thing. I totally forgot that the Oracle games even had some extras if played on GBA. I'd be more pissed if the eShop versions didn't allow you to fight Ganon after beating them. Was that done through cable link or a passcode?
The cable link was just an alternative to entering a long password, so I'm pretty sure you should still be able to fight Ganon.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

homeless snail posted:

Sure, but no one talks about hard drive capacity in terms of sectors anymore. Nintendo's use of block is just an attempt to be charmingly anachronistic, like a rotary cell phone.
Doesn't the Wii U say MBs and GBs instead of blocks? I thought I remembered seeing straight up file sizes when Giant Bomb were looking at the system memory in their Wii U live stream.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seems like Japan is getting a new game - Sayonara Umihara Kawase. If you're not familiar with Umihara Kawase, it's essentially Bionic Commando, but instead of a dude with a hotdog bionic arm, you're a little girl with a fishing rod and instead of Nazis the enemies are creepy as gently caress fish with legs. The game really lends itself to insane speedruns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4Fwn-8moY
My only experience with that game is from the episode of Game Center CX it was in and it looked pretty cool in that, is this a brand new game or a remake or something?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Okay, so I watched it again and I think this is what it's saying - anyone with better Japanese than mine can feel free to correct me:

-Flipnote 3D is free to download; sharing Flipnotes with friends is permanently free
-30-day trial for the global community; once the trial runs out you'll be required to pay a server fee each month to continue using the global servers
-Browsing the global community will only be free during specific times of the day; you'll need a subscription in order to browse whenever you want
-Skilled artists may have their subscription fees waived (no idea how they decide who's skilled and who isn't)
Will you still be able to export your animations as gifs for free or is that part of their community features?

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Artix posted:

Unfortunately, the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons to do a straight N64 VC. If you mapped everything directly (ie A to A), you'd have two unused buttons (X and Y), and five buttons left from the N64 (Z and the C buttons). You'd basically auve to customize the controls for every single game.
Do any N64 games even use all the buttons?
At the most all they'd have to do for each game is to set the circle pad and dpad to either the analog stick, dpad or C buttons and occasionally map the Z button to the 3DS' left shoulder button.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

bpc908 posted:

Ducktales Remastered is coming to the 3ds. Otherwise if it wasn't I don't think it would have this warning on the bottom
http://i.imgur.com/Z0wU8WF.png
That same warning also mentions Kinect so it's probably just a standard copy and paste unless you could pogo in real life to play the game which would be incredible.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't wait to play a bugged-the-gently caress-out version of the game in two years time.
Haha, you think we're getting this at all. That's adorable.
:smith:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Strange Quark posted:

This moment amused me far more than it probably should have, but I can't say I care. :allears:
Iwata's goofy antics are always the best part of each Nintendo Direct.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Saoshyant posted:

It may also be possible that they will pull a Xenoblade and do the voice work in the UK that NOA will then use at a later date.
Oh man I loving hope so.
If there is one thing there can never be enough of in this world, it's Japanese RPGs with British voice actors.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Bland posted:

English voice acting had already been recorded and used before the EU version was released
I think the excuse was that they licensed the game directly from the Japanese developer and so to use the English voices from the American version they would have to pay additional licensing fees for that.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Prior to playing Theatrhythm the only Final Fantasy games I had played were the first one and Crystal Chronicles and I still had a ton of fun with it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Tae posted:

The paid DLC is everything extra, there is not a single remote thing that ties into the main storyline at all.

Asura's Wrath did this and it was awful.
I hope you're talking about having to buy the ending and not the ending itself. The DLC ending for Asura's Wrath is amazing and after finishing it I had no issues with the fact I had to buy it separately.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
No "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH" no sale. :colbert:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Shoopuf posted:

Strange guy.
I agree.

KimT posted:

A warning on Trace Memory, it's like two hours long and very simple. It feels kind of like a visual novel aimed at kids or something. I think it's definitely worth playing though because it sets up some of the story for the sequel on Wii (Another Code R) which is a fantastic game.
Yeah, Trace Memory/Another Code was a near launch DS title and it really feels like it. I liked it at the time though and the Wii sequel is really good.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Pureauthor posted:

Also it had playable Bowser and playable Bowser owns.
Bowser is consistently the best part of any Mario RPG he is in so, yeah, Bowser's Inside Story is the best.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
On the topic on that Monster Hunter promotion, I just realised that I never registered my 3DS on Club Nintendo so if anyone has one of those recommendation codes and wants to PM me it then I will be your best friend forever.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 4, 2013

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

So Sakurai is a robot or found the fountain of youth right? That man never ages and looks like 20 years younger than he actually is.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Balcony posted:

Regarding the new streetpass games - do they all have hats which are unique to them? Or if I only buy one of them, will I be able to able to eventually access all the new hats? There's no way I'm spending £15 on all of them, but I might consider getting one of them.
The way the new hats works is that there is one hat you get for buying each game so unless you buy all four you will never get those ones, and then the rest of the hats you get through the ticket exchange.
Each of the new games has their own achievements like the old Streetpass stuff does, but for each of the new achievements you complete you earn one plaza ticket which can be exchanged for one hat at the ticket exchange (which has four hats available to buy that changes daily).
I haven't been through and done the maths, but each game seems to have around 22 achievements and by looking at all the new ???'s listed on the hat select list I could easily see there being 88 new hats (there isn't anything else to use plaza tickets on so I don't see why they would give you more than you can use, and not giving you enough to get all hats would be a dick move). So if you bought only one of the games the only hats you would miss are the ones for buying the other games and you have the chance to get all the other hats, but you'd only be able to get a quarter or so of them.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Inacio posted:

A friend told me the games are REALLY bad, so that's cool I guess.
The schmup game is really good, the mansion one can be pretty fun and the conquest one seems okay too if you entire people with high plaza populations. The only one I would say is bad is the garden one, and it's not really bad per se it's just boring.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Apparently the Streetpass update just went live for NA. Nice timing. Also y'all are getting some downright goofy titles for the new games:

StreetPass Squad = Mii Force
StreetPass Garden = Flower Town
StreetPass Battle = Warrior's Way
StreetPass Mansion = Monster Manor

They're all awesome and the last few stages of Streetpass Squad are brutally tough even with a bunch of recruits in tow. Looking forward to seeing people discuss these in this thread.
It took NoA so long because they were trying to think of "[blank] Mii" names for all the games to match Find Mii but they they gave up.
And if nothing else NA dudes, know that the new update adds some amazing hats.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Behonkiss posted:

So how do you get the selection of four hats that you spend tickets on to change? It says something like "Today's Hats", but it hasn't changed from yesterday's selection for me and none of the current ones are up my alley.
The hat selection changes 24 hours after you first check it then from that point on it will update 24 hours after you last saw it update.
So if you first check the hat store at 6pm then the new hats will be available at 6pm the next day, but if you don't check the hat store until 8pm then it will next update 24 hours from then.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

BambooEarpick posted:

So if I want a big advantage for playing the shmup streetpass game, do I just have to sit on the street passes I get until I get 10 people? Can I use those people for other games, leave the plaza, and then come back later when I get other street passes?
As soon as you see Miis come through the gate then you either have to use them all up before you can use any other Miis gather through streetpass otherwise you have to dismiss them, so if you wanted to sit on the streetpasses until you got to ten then you'd have to not open the plaza until you get to ten.

You shouldn't really ever need ten Miis for the shmup game though, you can easily get through a level with two, three or even one but that usually means you're going to miss some treasure. And here's a quick tip for getting through the shmup game if you didn't know, if you streetpass with a golden Mii or rehire one with play coins (like the Nintendo ones they sent out during E3) then when you have one of them attached to your ship you have a Gradius style option that floats around your ship and shoots too. So if you're ever having trouble with a stage you can rehire three Nintendo Miis and you are essentially getting 6 shots instead of three.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Farts posted:

I don't know about that, I've been checking the hats every day since they released the games...I bought the first 5 or so hats that it initially showed and haven't seem the update at all.
Have you changed your 3DS' clock at all? The manual says that if you change the date or time settings then the available hats stops updating for a while so you can't cheat the system.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

elf help book posted:

I think they actually intend for you to start a boss fight to scope out info, then run away and prepare.
Is there an easy way to leave a level you haven't completed without running all the way back to the entrance, then get back to the boss without having to do the level all over again once you have the thing you need? Because if not this is really bad game design.
The boss fights being a case of "hope you miraculously know what thing to use and have it otherwise this boss is impossible/going to take forever" is the biggest thing I hate about that game and what really makes me dislike it. I didn't have a problem with the common complaints like the battle system or lack of party members or anything, but gently caress those boss battles.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Anatharon posted:

Before NA and Japan? Something is wrong here. :psyduck:
This generation is the one where NoE finally makes up for all the lovely treatment they have given Europe in the past. There have been a lot of games this gen that we either got before America or America didn't get at all.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Call Now posted:

Can I play Dream Team Bros if I've never played previous installments?
The short answer is "yes", the long answer is "no, go play Bowser's Inside Story you monster".

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Scher posted:

So, uh, it seems like someone had some issues with the 3DS eshop and stumbled upon something interesting. They seem to see several Wii U related entries as well as an entry for Earthbound on the eshop. The question is if this is some peak at the next update and what that entails. From what I read, people seem to have their hopes up that this could mean some cross-buy system for Nintendo platforms, and that this could be for a potential unified account system. Anyone else have any thoughts on what all this could mean?
I hope this is just an error because it's hard enough finding games on the eShop without having to skip through games I can't play on the system I'm browsing it on.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Astro7x posted:

Wonder if changing the System Memory clock will let you skip around and get new hats.
The manual says that if you do this the hats will stop updating for a while, so you can't cheat around it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

trunkwontopen posted:

I think I may be one of maybe 3 people in this thread that are still rocking out on a regular size 3DS. How does the 3DS XL compare when placed inside your pocket to those that had the 3DS non-XL? I'm an average sized guy, and I know its a whole "your mileage will vary" type thing, but I want to be able to place the 3DS in a pouch, and place said pouch in my pocket. I had room for my 3DS as well as other items.
I'm still using a regular 3DS, but that's mainly because I won a Mario 3DS from Club Nintendo when NoE were doing a contest and feel pretty much obligated to use it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Sakurazuka posted:

Just got mine today as well, it's pretty nifty. I also liked how they were all 'Please allow up to 8 weeks for delivery.' then it turned up in about a week.
Yeah, NoE really got their poo poo together with delivery. It used to take forever to get anything from the stars catalogue.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
To play devil's advocate to the flute complaints specifically, the microphone use worked perfectly for me and I thought it was the best implementation of an instrument in a Zelda game. The only issue I had with it is that the one time I tried playing the game on a train ride the background noise was setting off the microphone all the time so I couldn't use it, but I was at a point of the game where I didn't need to use it and every other time I played the game at home so this wasn't a real problem for me.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Prorat posted:

These 4 Mii Plaza streetpass games are worth the 15 dollars and fun as hell. If they made the haunted one have more floors it could easily be its own $9.99 eShop game like Mario Minis on the Move and Pushmo.

Is there more than 5 hats to buy with tickets in the new Mii Plaza games? I'm pretty sure I got 5 tickets from playing the 4 games with two streetpass Miis right after buying the 15 dollar pack. Please tell me there is more hats to buy!!! How do I get them?
There are like 90 of them to buy from the exchange booth and they change daily, GameFAQs has a list of all hats here and if you scroll down to the exchange booth section it tells you what day they will appear.
As well as those, there is a hat for buying each of the new games and a hat for completing them as well.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

njsykora posted:

I'm not risking Ghostlight loving up another localisation.
Gotta admit, it would be pretty funny if they go through all this trouble to localise the sequel then end up with a similar game breaking bug and since it's a DS game they can't patch it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I remember somebody saying that you could use old allies in FM 1 if you had FM2 and bought the allies on there, but went to play FM afterwards. I could've been wrong though.
That's how it worked before the update, but now there is straight up a hire old allies button in FM1. I have heard from some people that need to have unlocked FM2 before that option appears but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

njsykora posted:

Anouma put this on Miiverse.

A shop selling the hammer, hookshot, boomerang, bow, ice rod and what looks like the Cane of Somaria. Apparently this is going to be a pretty important place in Link Between Worlds.
It's totally going to be something dumb like you can only have two items at a time and have to keep going back there to swap them out or something.

• Locked thread