Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

BadAstronaut posted:

Again, goony goons, please don't read this as an attack on what you like. This is me asking if there is much coming up that fits my tastes (on PC I enjoy the likes of Fallout New Vegas, the Baldur's Gate/Planescape:Torment style games, Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic (I have Clash of Heroes on DS), Neverwinter Nights, Warhammer 40k, XCom, etc).

Well, as a fellow over-30 fellow, I'd say Etrian Odyssey (IV) and Fire Emblem might fit your bill - that is, if you can tolerate the anime graphics. Also, if you're not into anime plots, then your money should be on EO. And if you're still feeling old... err, there's always sport games, like Pro Evolution Soccer. And puzzles, like Professor Layton.

The most "adult" title would be "Virtues Last Reward", which is the sequel to 999.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

BadAstronaut posted:

Bummer there was no traditional Metroid game for DS - will there be one for 3DS, do you know?

No, but you can buy from the eshop and play the original Metroid on virtual console.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm sorry, I only read the first post and missed the second one. I was wondering if there was some e-shop poo poo to think about or whatever. Well, thanks for answering anyway.

From what I've heard, the US version of the eshop can be pretty choosy when it comes to method of funds.

I think it's also worth noting that the region lock can extend to local multiplayer. So you can't play games like Dead or Alive Dimensions with your buddies who have PAL 3DS versions. (Internet play is fine, tho'.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Try the Etrian Odyssey-thread.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't bravely default turn out boring or am I confusing it with a different JRPG?

You're probably thinking of that iPad game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, the Etrian Odyssey games that got localized over here did kinda flop, so it's no surprise that we don't have one for EO4 really. Kinda sucks.
:smith::hf::smith:
In a way it was probably expected, I suspect the older gamer generation from the late 80s/early 90s would've appreciated the games more, when they experienced games like Dungeon Master or similar dungeon crawling games. But how many of them owns a DS nowadays? It's very much a niche inside a niche, and drawing your own maps? How OCD.

It's a pity then that the region lock has locked us out of this series for now. And translating the game to four additional languages doesn't exactly entice publishers to risk it. But one can hope for a miracle of some sort.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
If you want to read more into how Nintendo sees itself fiscally and plans to do business this year, the public briefing is here in detail.

It also hints of further additions to Street- and SpotPass in future (firmware?) updates.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Ghostlight just closed their "Amazing" January competition, and the winner was someone who "realistically" wished for Shin Megami Tensei IV. So unless there's a new unannounced Shadow Hearts in development (the winner's secret wish), there's a slight possibility of another SMT game for Europe.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Wow, Nintendo certainly learned their mistake of ignoring Europe. Finally we're going to have GAMES.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Hey eurogoons, guess what? Ghostlight finally has Devil Survivor: Overclocked in manufacturing and will probably have it out by the end of March. :toot:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of DS:O, someone interviewed Ghostlight's senior producer about localization. No mention of possible future projects.

Carpe Fulgur is also mentioned.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Katana Gomai posted:

Wow, a poster! that sure makes up for a year and a half of "porting" a game that was completely done and translated to begin with. Ghostlight better go broke over this.

That's hardly constructive, when you take into account that Ghostlight are probably the only company out there releasing Atlus games in Europe. (Aside from Nintendo of Europe, but you know how they handled the subsequent sequels to Etrian Odyssey on the DS. As in: They didn't.)

And hey, speaking of Devil Survivor...

@ghostlightgames posted:

Also I've been told that you can expect some Devil Survivor 2 news in the next few weeks.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Do you prefer to play games in English?

Well, yes, since I don't know French/German/Spanish/Italian/Japanese/whatever else there is. And Finnish... well, the ones that are are edutainment titles aimed squarely at kindergarten-level individuals.

As for translations: Here in Finland at least they translate some games - like Professor Layton - in Finnish and Swedish. Actually, that's a lie. They translate the cover blurb and paper manual. The game itself is in English. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking with this.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Saoshyant posted:

See my big post above. There aren't many videogame companies translating their works into the... non-core languages. Finland, much like Greece, Denmark, Portugal, Sweden, and the Netherlands isn't considered a "core language" when it comes to those companies.

Sure, but then again, on the packaging there's a (small) text warning that "Basic knowledge of English needed to enjoy the game" which pretty much sums up things. Localization is nice, but sometimes English is second best.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Not gonna lie, I was absolutely horrified when I saw that all the text in Assassin's Creed III was in Finnish and that there was no way to change it in any of the in-game menus. Ended up changing the region of my 360 to UK to be able to play the game in English, because rear end Creed in Finnish just felt wrong. :spergin: I'm honestly not sure why Ubisoft even bothered to localize the whole thing.

Nothing wrong with localization, unless they hire some sweatshop to do the translations. Nothing is more horrid than a quick and shoddy literal translation full of anglo-american jargon.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Some Japanese chap did an informative video about (big) releases in Japan this month. (The original from NND is here.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
So, uh. How does the patent system work in the US, exactly?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4100924/nintendo-guilty-of-patent-infringement-3ds-technology

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
eShop game SteamWorld Dig looks kinda promising. Kinda like a mix of Boulderdash and platform games.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Saoshyant posted:

I just hope NISA will continue bringing over Atlus titles to Europe like they are now with the new Etrian Odyssey

Umm, IIRC Nintendo Europe are doing the publishing in Europe, not NISA. Australia is NISA's area. Unless you know something we don't.

EDIT: Well, a quick googling showed NISA being the publisher in Australia, but I'm still going to be skeptical until the end. Not that any of this matters anyway, just as long it's coming in the first place.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 15, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Speaking of Streetpass, has anyone who enabled that thing on Nintendo 3DS Sound app got any hits? I got my only one a week ago, and I've had it enabled for months now. (Not that a lot of Streetpassing seem to happen in here parts, but anyway.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Alex WS posted:

Has anybody outside of a Club Nintendo supported country managed to register an account and reap rewards? Want to get in on that free game business.

I've heard of rumours of some using a proxy posting service to get those Club Nintendo goods. Free games? You'll probably need to set your 3DS to a country that is eligible for Club Nintendo, but can't vouch that'll work.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Good news eurogoons, Nintendo Europe and German gaming watchdog USK have come to an agreement and now you can browse all the 18+ smut you crave on your 3DS and Wii U.

Now if only there was downloadable 18+ vileness you could download on the 3DS for unsuspecting young vulnerable minds...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Renegade Kid has revealed screenshots of their 3DS FPS project. Looks... quake-brownish. Reminds me of Blood, so looks promising.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Vince Videogames posted:

Is it possible to send a mii you sent to Mii Maker from Street Plaza back? Or is Miyamoto forever trapped within the confines of the Mii Maker app?

No and yes. I hope you're pleased with yourself.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
To all eurogoons waiting for Cave Story. Some news at last.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I'm now hearing that the game freeze you experience in Ghostlight's Devil Survivor: Overclocked subsides if you wait for a few minutes. Good news, right guys? :downs:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

SMT4 officially announced by Atlus USA, out in NA "this summer":

If that competition Ghostlight hosted a few months ago is any indication, Europe won't be seeing this until 2015 the earliest. poo poo sux.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

WASDF posted:

Is there legitimate belief that the Circle Pad Pro XL isn't? That's a foolish thing to believe. If this were like some weird heart-rate sensor for a Suda51 Japan eShop only game but if they bothered bringing the original to America then they'll probably bring this one over too.

Well, Europe certainly got a special mention that the CPP XL is coming. So chances are America will get theirs too - eventually.

Speaking of Europe, Atlus finally has a dedicated (competent) publisher there. Try to guess who it is. Hint: It doesn't start with a G.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
For the artistic types out there, the Korg synthesizer has been updated to the 3DS and is going to be released worldwide this summer. One of the new features is the ability to export midi-files to your SD-card, so you don't have to only record it raw off the DS anymore.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

horriblePencilist posted:

If you're saying Ema Skye is dumb I am willing to take this to court.

What about that Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover? I'm guessing the west never got confirmation for a release.

Well, according to this, it's coming in October in Europe, at least.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Inzombiac posted:

2) I'm having a hard time finding a good list of recommend titles for good online play.

Jesus Christ, several answers but no mention of Mario Kart 7? What is wrong with you people?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

jtm33 posted:

The main reason to buy a US 3DS is for the exclusive games, not for cheaper prices because after you factor in shipping you aren't saving much if anything compared to Europe.

I don't know if that's that exclusive anymore, considering the biggest grief was how Atlus-less Europe was, and that kind of resolved itself when NISA took up to fix that situation. Unless you're some kind of completionist and need the US releases.

Now a Japanese 3DS on the other hand...

EDIT: Slowpoke.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Looks like there'll be a Nintendo Direct for the US and Europe this Wednesday. US at 7 am PT/10 am ET and UK at 3pm UK time. Or 14:00 GMT globally for both.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a thread for friend codes or should we post them here?

Well, I bookmarked a friend codes spreadsheet of resident goons. I think the thread dedicated to that is somewhere near.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I don't know about you guys, but I'm hyped for Mario Golf World Tour, but that's because I love golf, even if my experience is limited to the mini-variant. Anyway...

Lots of interesting releases coming to Europe, with Mario Golf and Animal Crossing topping the list. Still waiting for EOIV, tho'.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

mikeycp posted:

Can't wait to collect hundreds of chairs, and get Art Academy and learn to draw good apples.

You mean draw cherries.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

axeil posted:

So based on the latest Nintendo Direct I ended up ordering a 3DS XL. When I set it up I should use the same Nintendo Network ID I have on my WiiU, right?

I don't recall the 3DS being that fancy, but since the Miiverse for the 3DS update is due this year, maybe then.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I tend to leave the 3D-effect on. I'm completely entranced by it and can't imagine playing without it. That is unless I need to use the gyro controls on the 3DS, where it's preferable to turn it off, no way I'm enable to keep my head in the point of view to keep it working.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Clevermuldoon posted:

Question about Animal Crossing. To live in someone's town, do you still have to play on the same cartridge, or can you hook up online?

Apparently you can have 3 additional players in the cart like in AC:WW, but the first player will always the mayor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Crawfish posted:

So Nintendo of Europe is doing another "Buy stuff, get a game free" promotions.

Nintendo posted:

You have to be at least 16 years of age and a resident of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland or Russia.

Guess it doesn't concern me then.

• Locked thread