Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still say the series peaked with the Oracle games.

Wind Waker was awesome, though, definitely the 3D Zelda I enjoyed the most. TP was just so boring.

The thing I want most from the next console title is the ability to write on the loving map like you can in the DS games. Playing a Zelda game should not require me to keep a goddamn notebook handy so I know where every dumb bombable wall or heart container is. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Zelda 2 has literally zero redeeming qualities. Even within the tiny genre of "obtuse NES RPG-platformers" it doesn't measure up to Faxanadu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely remember having to do a bunch of grinding to max everything out in 2. Enough that I remember it as "a grindy as gently caress game".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Well, yeah, of course the game is going be grindy if you decide to max out all of your stats. There's no reason to do that, though.

Well I was a kid when I beat it so who knows, but I barely beat the final dungeon after about five thousand tries and felt like I definitely needed max health, magic and attack. v:v:v

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some people like Minish Cap, but I really just could not stand it. I've tried to finish it like three times and I just quit a few hours in. It isn't really anything like Link's Awakening or Oracles, and it's not like the DS games either (which are pretty great).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't get why Motion+ was ever necessary when all the way back in Super Mario Galaxy they already had control schemes that relied on using the wiimote in 3D. :shrug:

edit: thread title should say 1997 because the N64 was far more devoid of great games than the Gamecube was

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
After hating Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and thinking Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were "just kind of alright" I no way was gonna pay money for A Link Between Worlds. Luckily my gf has a ton of 3DS games and just gave her copy to me.

This. This is the Zelda game I've been waiting for. It's fun!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Mog posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for either TP or SS. I mean, they were good games and all, but they weren't great. One thing that was really missing for me was the sense of wonder and exploration inherent in Zelda games. Like when you go out into Hyrule Field for the first time in OOT or when you're sailing around the ocean in WW (why everyone hates that game I have no clue). I never really got that "holy poo poo this is awesome" feeling from either. ALBW really was fun. I get that it was super easy but I don't play Nintendo games for a big Dark Souls-esque challenge, I play them for the experience and for fun. There were just so many creative dungeons, and the portrait gimmick was flawlessly implemented. The only complaint I have is the lack of good side quests.

Yeah it does get annoying when I go into Random Cave and complete a 15 minute puzzle and my reward is 100 Rupees (when I've already got like 2,000 because if I lose my items I just reload my last save anyway).

I hope they make more 2D(ish) games like this; the Pin system for the minimap is fantastic for "now where did I see that bombable wall?", it's actually pretty nice to have access to almost all the standard items right away, letting you do as much or as little dicking around as you want before doing the proper dungeons, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Giant empty Hyrule Field is the worst thing about 3D Zeldas bar Wind Waker. The promise that Zelda Wii U will actually have tons of poo poo in said giant field better be true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PrBacterio posted:

Wait, did you just equate Luigi with Ingo the evil stable boy? :mad:

I thought it was pretty obvious, really.

Luigi is become death, the destroyer of karts.

Mr Phillby posted:

LA was awash with mario references, from the goombas in the 2D sections to the portion of the game you spend attached to a chain-chomp.

Also a reminder that Talon Literally wears a Bowser bolo tie, in case there was any doubt.

On of the many reasons it's in my top 3 Zelda games ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Febreeze posted:

OoTs hyrule field was just as bad if not worse than TPs. Just as empty, maybe more so. TP was just too segmented. I actually like big empty sections with little to do but look around, I enjoy roaming around worlds and seeing things, admiring the landscapes. I thought Termina was too dense. There were no peaceful sections to just sit back and take in the world, there were always enemies and things to fight/holes to stumble into. It didn't feel like I was exploring. The empty spaces add some atmosphere.

I loving hated Hyrule Field in OoT because it seemed to exist solely as a way to make me waste my goddamn time when I could be doing dungeons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I like the Link's Awakening overworld the best since it's basically one huge labyrinth. The puzzling never stops.

I like that one and the Oracle ones because they're on a grid and I can jot down "A-7: Hookshot" or "J-17: Bomb wall".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are by no means "garbage"; they're not the best Zelda games, but judged just as "video games", they're still both probably a solid 7/10.

That's like saying New Super Mario Bros. 2 is "garbage" just because Super Mario 3D World or Galaxy are better.

• Locked thread