Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
This contest... It pleases me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Mikan posted:

Click that logo to see my outline and blurb for 迷宮&竜の罰ゲーム.

This sounds like a fun party game... I am curious to see how it progresses.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Here is mine and LowellDnD's entry:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dIFqiz7lsO4JO_cd3ttk-T0m_HXOjiJe-1U_QqSPqvI/edit?usp=sharing

Excerpt of blurb:

"With a core “2d6+M” mechanic for simplicity, a combat system that is in line with the core tenants of Koboldry, and a way for the GM to make sense of and combat the players’ machinations, KOBOLD Super Shortened Edition is a system ready and waiting for player antics as they attempt to steal the babies of nearby towns and glut their voracious maws with the little fleshbags. Or each other. Whichever is closest at hand. They’re far hungrier than they are picky, after all."

I look forward to feedback and reading through more of yours! Good luck to all!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Ulta posted:

Kobold Super Shortened Edition

Outline

Just enough info. I understand your core mechanic, and how things work. Your game is about Kobolds eating babies. A couple of typos (unless Kobolds are tasty to everyone and everyone want to eat them, which would be a complete if comical reversal). You’ve got that map forward. Good luck!

Ulta, when I say Kobolds cook well, I don't just mean they serve up mean babyback ribs. ;)

This is turning out to be a really fun contest, by the way. I very much enjoyed writing up that blurb (which is technically more of what I'd pitch in a live presentation of the system); yes it's long, but I felt the background information helps set the mood of the game, especially when read out loud (and quite dramatically). Anywho, back to work!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Here is my progress on KOBOLD. Text-only, it fits the length requirement.

I am planning on getting final layout done in the next few days, art within the next week and a half, and will hopefully also playtest it this coming Friday. What do we need to show that we playtested it? Just a review of the session, maybe some player testimonials?

Hope you all enjoy, and I welcome feedback!

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

100 Words on Kobold Raiders:

Absently picking a bit of gristle from his teeth, Ruk realized he was lost. The other raiders must have gone off in another direction, and he hadn't noticed. Today had gone well though, and with a full belly he was in good spirits. That was all that mattered as he walked.

...Then the net came down. With no time to react, and a quick, high-pitched gasp, Ruk fell to the ground and cowered. As the humans rushed from cover to retrieve their prize, Ruk smiled weakly. His belly was full of sweet, tender baby, and that was all that mattered.

In other news, I'd be interested in getting even a little feedback on KOBOLD, since I have very little time to work on it this weekend and want to capitalize on the time I have in tweaking the rules. Gotta make some drawings, too... And find playtesters...

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Ulta posted:

Kobold Super Shortened Edition

Feels very [b]eer and pretzels. I never played the original game, but it feels like you’ve got a quick paced, if slightly crunchy game. Its written in a funny tone. I’m not a huge fan of random mechanics, but it feels like you die quite often in the game, so its probably fine.

Bonus - Nope
8 /10 a bonus is earned

So two things: first, the original "Kobolds Ate My Baby!" is a Beer & Pretzels RPG. Since this originally started as a condensed KAMB, I take the comparison as a compliment.

Second, are these scores (the 8/10 for this leg, for example) being totaled for the end judging? Or is it just that 'bonus is earned' going through? I had been hoping to see how far I got without any bonus stuff (since I feel some of them are not especially linked to the game design aspect of the contest), but I realized that may hurt my overall chances of winning. The rules are a little unclear to me, is what I'm saying, I guess. In either case, I'm happy to have participated, win or lose.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

...Oh shoot. I missed the cutoff time, didn't I. Crud. I had my artwork and stuff all set, too. Just needed to paste all the text in; I just lost track of time. Super bummed now. Oh well. I got to see a gaming friend of mine tonight instead of posting, so I guess it kindof works out. Kindof. :(

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

I shall bear the shame. Here is my final document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cr8ksp_FVJlIsnqji7yWq_FuNSnDydplcFho-cK0K9E/edit?usp=sharing

It's times like this I wish I had InDesign; Google Docs is not fun for laying out pages.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

I've been invited to demo KOBOLD in a game design class at my school! I will hopefully be recording it and then putting that up as my playtest proof! I also am going to give a brief talk about what RPGs mean to me, and... yep. It'll be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

http://youtu.be/BGGkd7FlckQ

Here it is! The video of my playtest with the game design class. Most of these people had never tried roleplaying before, but everyone enjoyed. I got lots of 'this was really fun!'s at the end, and everyone was smiling when they left. The last 15-20 minutes of the session got cut off (my camera battery died), but you get the idea of how this goofy little system plays. Character creation happened while I set up the camera, and overall took around 5 minutes.

At the beginning I drew a baby up on the board. By the end of the session, the 13 kobolds had accomplished the following:

2 had stolen babies
1 had died (but his body double avenged him)
3 had taken chunks of the blacksmith back to camp to eat
1 had taken 2 stuffed baby dolls back to camp to try to trade for real baby. He succeeded in doing so only because the kobold he was trading with got a critical failure to notice that they were not actual flesh-and-blood babies.

There were only 2 points during which I had to make judgment calls that the rules didn't cover: tripping the Blacksmith's wife, and tickling another kobold to make him drop the baby he is holding.

[For the record, the person off-camera who pees in the blacksmith's coffee, tickles the other kobold, and ultimately lights the blacksmith's home on fire (with the kobolds still in it) was the professor of the class. I love my school sometimes.]

[edit: I am also probably never GMing for a group that large again.]