Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

I'm on Strawberry Bubblegum and I'm digging it. I love the effort that Timberland and Timberlake put into their collaborations, even though I don't have a lot of love for pop music in general.

What's the opinion on Kimbra? I loved Vows, and watching her live videos is great fun (and generally pretty impressive). I especially love what she does with Settle Down live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7GLvMYSHI

[Edit: I just realized she's doing all that on a couple iPads :stare:]

This is kinda crazy because I was at the Spotify House constantly and I didn't see Kimbra. I didn't even know she was playing. Oh well, too many free drinks, kinda bummed out now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I see Katy Perry wants to hop on the trap bandwagon. Although its a bit too late but ah gently caress it pop stars are always late to the bandwagon.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Atma McCuddles posted:

Is this the thread for posting about MATANGI because I want to talk about MATANGI, it's great and I can't wait to blast it out of car windows this summer. Such a palate cleanser after MAYA.

I saw her play live last night playing mostly from MATANGI. It was awesome.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Might as well mention, there's something curiously entertaining about seeing people whinge about how Lorde is "ruining" pop music. She's had one song out, for goodness' sake. I remember people were complaining about Gotye and fun. ruining pop music last year, and how Adele was ruining pop music the year before that.

Pop music can never die even if it does change its face from time to time. Why is this difficult to understand?

People think she's ruining pop music because its not a super upbeat song. Whatever man most pop music on the radio sucks anyway and these people should just be ignored. IMO Lorde is ok I guess, but I always thought Lana sucked and was an obvious cashgrab for that hipster indie audience.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)

Grammy nominations suck every year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

If anyone's been watching the pop charts, it looks like in the next couple of weeks Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive" and AWOLNATION's "Sail" are going to dethrone Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" as the longest run on the Hot 100.

Great more bad music on the top of the charts.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Isn't Sail also the song in those internet explorer ads. Anyways that song is bad also the Radioactive song is just generic as hell. Yes there are worse songs out there, but that doesn't change the fact that both of these songs are indeed bad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

Co-written by Chad Kroeger ladies and gents!

I like to think he wrote the beginning intro.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fenrir posted:

I'm gonna sound like a huge dork here, but I finally caught up with The Voice last night, and part of the elimination round filler was Shakira doing a performance of Empire that was pretty drat great. Anyone else see that poo poo? Obviously some of it was pre-recorded or whatever (she can't exactly sing two different things at once) but some of the live vocals sounded better than the studio version.

It's definitely one of those songs that make you wonder how someone with such a weird rear end voice became so huge in the first place, but in a good way.

She got huge in latin america first then basically took over the world.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I'm surprised this got no love but poo poo like taylor swift did you people make me sick.

This song has been my loving jam.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not the best pop song of the 1990s, though. The best pop song of the 1990s is "Waterfalls" by TLC.

What happened to her after "Call Me Maybe"? That song was everywhere the summer it came out, then she had that duet with Owl City that was a middle-sized hit, and since then... Not really had anything else blowing up the charts, has she? Why's that, then?

1 hit wonder

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I follow this thread because I'm not really a pop fan, but I sometimes tune into Top 40 stations in my car and want to make sense of what I'm listening to. I'm always impressed by a catchy, well-produced pop song. It's interesting that everyone here seems to love Carly Rae Jepsen's new album, because nobody in my radio market is playing any of her songs at all, except "Call Me Maybe" once in a while still.

The two most popular songs of the last month have been the Demi Lovato song that sounds just like Katy Perry (did that turn out to be the "song of the summer" for 2015?) and the Selena Gomez song that sounds just like Lana Del Rey. And "Bad Blood," of course.

Song of the summer is Watch me (whip/nae nae)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Carly Rae Jepsen should stop chasing the pop #top40 lane imo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

From a couple of pages ago, but this is starting to get some radio play and popped up on Pandora a couple of times today, so:

This is literally exactly the same song as Problem. I should preface that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old-school funky beat? Check.
Completely random male voice on the chorus with the main singer pretty much silent? Check.
Out of nowhere horn section? Check. (OK this part actually owns super hard and more songs need saxophones and trumpets)

Also Ariana is more mushmouthed than she's ever been, good Lord.

EDIT: fun drinking game: take a shot every time you see the right side of her face. You'll get a lot less drunk than you think.

Oh you mean like almost every pop song in the past year?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Adele is boring and rolling in the deep was her only good song. ty and god bless

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hotline bling owns sorry retard

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Treats is so good, it sucks that imo they never really made something better than that. I loving love that first album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This rihanna album is pretty loving good so far 3 songs in

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah this rihanna album loses steam around the halfway point it seems. Its alright

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

the truth posted:

I've heard Rihanna's new album is good for three songs then rapidly goes to poo poo.

Yeah its a real snoozer after the 5th song.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Slandible posted:

I could use convincing as well for CRJ. I like a few of her songs, but I can't justify 25 dollars for a few songs, unless she puts on a good live show.

25 dollars is not that much dude...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah she has talent I guess but all her music just sounds straight up generic. The only songs I remember off the top of my head from her are Problem. Since then I feel like she had a poo poo load of horns and poo poo in her songs or they're just too samey.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah tidal isn't really that hosed considering how much pablo helped it out and now the beyonce album as well. They're totally fine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

These b-sides are way better than a lot of music that came out last year and charted really high.

it almost seems as if quality of music isn't a reason something charted high....hmmmmmmmmmm i wonder

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I only like the cashmere cat produced song "Just luv me" everything else sounds kinda generic-y or I don't know not for me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sprat Sandwich posted:

'Higher' is a real good song.

Here is another pretty good song about ascending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr29X77OA5g

"Oh poo poo, that's the jam"

Not a fan of this song personally. I feel like its just trying to hard to (but too late to the party personally) trying to catch on to what other popular songs this summer were like (one dance, etc).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mike12345 posted:

I discovered Red Velvet with Russian Roulette today, and holy poo poo I can't stop listening to this!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QslJYDX3o8s

Ice Cream Cake is good, too.

e: btw, is there a k-pop thread?

Yeah its in TVIV but the thread is pretty dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePpPVE-GGJw

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Linkin Park tried pop

https://youtu.be/lp00DMy3aVw

The lyrics are so bad

i busted out laughing when the girl straight out of a chainsmokers song showed up

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

It took me a few listens to get into it. But I actually really like it. Every album is different. No, they don't sound like they did on Evening Out with your girlfriend, but that was also 14 years ago. Each album they've made sounds different because they grow and evolve as a band. I will always love them and respect them as artists even if I don't agree with some of the music they've done.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

This sounds like a "hard" rock/dubstep Blake Lewis. I love Blake Lewis, but yikes

edit: this week is nuts as far as releases go. Singles from Fall Out Boy, Katy Perry, Phoenix, OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Hailee Steinfeld, Foster the People, and the new Gorillaz album.

One of these is not like the other

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ariana just dropped an album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I remember watching Dua Lipa perform in 2016 at SXSW and really liking it and then she drops New Rules a year later and became this global sensation goddamn

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Here is the full Trainor press release :stonk:

And that’s tea

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can’t front after the whole grimes dating Elon musk thing and that she supported him stopping unions and what not and defended that poo poo on twitter I can’t even listen to her anymore. Wack as hell

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Siivola posted:

Romanticizing the end of the world and basically playing the villain while vocally supporting bad politics IRL is what makes it metal!

nah that makes it lame as gently caress

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Surprise, surprise: Anthony Fantano lied to me. This Billie Eilish album is not great lol

This clipping poo poo sucks. Mix it better or don't release it, gently caress.

I mean it worked for Sleigh Bells but it absolutely does not work for every artist.

The way she sings kinda reminds me of Melanie Martinez, except she does this style so much better. When the gently caress is she putting out another album? Cry Baby is like 4 years old. It's also one of my favorite albums of the decade tho.

When you’re over 40 years old and don’t understand the kids anymore

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
justin timberlake still cancelled after man of the woods

goddamn what a poo poo album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Nicki Minaj with the worst performance of the entire coachella weekend holy poo poo it was bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

woof oh man yeah

i think Cardi has permanently shook Nicki, she has really gone 5 steps toward the deep end since Cardi came on the scene. Which is funny because I love Cardi and her music but Cardi's never gonna be able to rap like Nicki at her best (so, Monster)

hard disagree on that one chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
so happy seeing my man Ma$e on the main stage at coacella drat.. I saw him 2 years ago at sxsw do a secret set and it ruled. too bad about their mics