Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed! Sweet!

Blodskur posted:

Anyone here into Ellie Goulding? It's been really difficult to pin down much of a community for her online that doesn't do anything but tumblr likes and twitter retweets. There's no forums for her at all that I would describe as alive. Maybe there isn't much to say about her, I guess.

Ellie Goulding is absolutely fantastic! Bright Lights was one of my favorite albums of 2010. I was pretty disappointed by Halcyon though. It seems like for every track that's loving incredible on it (Figure 8, Only You, Without Your Love), there's a track that's just horrendous (Explosions, Atlantis, JOY). She is really good live though, and if you have the chance, I'd definitely check her out.

Her featured tracks have been pretty neat, too. Her song with Calvin Harris is...very Calvin Harris, but her voice is good on it, and her track with Zedd (Fall Into The Sky) is just killer.

She's more popular than Marina & the Diamonds which makes me sad though, because Marina >>>>>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

I actually love all of those tracks you mentioned just about equally, the only track that I'd consider skipping is I Know You Care...it just doesn't go anywhere. Explosions has actually been getting some good UK sales due to appearing in that ITV drama spot, which pleases me no end.

Oof. I know I'm probably in the minority, and I'm sorry for being so hyperbolic, but I really just think half of Halcyon is just so terrible.

IMO good songs:
Don't Say A Word
My Blood
Anything Could Happen
Only You
Halcyon
Figure 8
I Need Your Love

IMO bad songs:
JOY
Hanging On
Explosions
I Know You Care
Atlantis
Dead In The Water

I definitely have a thing for obviously-poppier, and more upbeat/electronic stuff. Gotta say that all the bonus tracks (In My City, Ritual, Without Your Love, Stay Awake) are loving fantastic, especially Without Your Love and Stay Awake. I was super happy that she played WYL when I saw her live a month ago.

Blodskur posted:

And consider me in the minority, but the Tinie Tempahless version of Hanging On is all the worse for his exclusion. Feels so empty, but I guess enough fans complained about his rap to have it removed from the regular tracklisting. I've seen her live twice so far!

Oh man, I think you are in the minority on this one. I was fairly on board with Hanging On at first, but I think Tinie just ruined it. She played his section live too, and I was just shaking my head for those 30 seconds or whatever. Bleh, Tinie isn't bad, but his verse was just spectacularly boring and didn't fit at all. I think I preferred her live show the first couple times I saw her. I was sad that she didn't sample Kanye's POWER sample during the end of Salt Skin in the Halcyon Tour set.

Blodskur posted:

Have you heard the Halcyon bonus tracks Stay Awake (produced by Madeon) and The Ending?

I love Stay Awake, but I've actually never even heard of The Ending.

Blodskur posted:

Electra Heart was meant to be a side project but her label wouldn't allow it. Power & Control is a bloody tune and that recently released E.V.O.L is just fantastic. I do much prefer it to her debut album, which just was all over the place for me. I can understand why others would like it, but it's all too zany and wild for actually enjoy properly.

EVOL is amaaaaaaazing. I really really like Electra Heart (and of most of the Marina fans I know, that's kind of a rarity to begin with), and I think I still prefer The Family Jewels just slightly, but it's a killer album. Teen Idle, Living Dead, and Lies will always be my jams, although I love every track on the album (except for Hypocrates). Radioactive will always have a place in my heart as well. loving amazing song.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

Have you heard the Halcyon bonus track ... The Ending?

Holy drat, this song is KILLER. Why wasn't this on the album? It's absolutely fantastic. Ambient and a little 'out there' even for Ellie, but it fits in perfectly on the album. drat shame it was a bonus from god knows where.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Yeah, her first EP was killer. This new song is really awesome though :D

I didn't see this till just today.

New Charli XCX - What I Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqNvy9v93s

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

I still love BTW as an album even now. It's so awesome/fun. I've seen her 3 times now, and unfortunately her BTWBall date was cancelled THE DAY BEFORE :gonk: I was so upset, but sad for her at the same time (plus I was getting in for free >_>), so I wasn't terribly caught up on it.

Seeing her at Lollapalooza a couple years ago was a really awesome experience. The Gaga crowd is definitely pretty unique.

Edit: By any chance is anyone here going to Coachella? There are gonna be some killer pop folks there: Grimes, La Roux, Janelle Monae, Jessie Ware, Tegan and Sara, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, and Bat for Lashes are just the ones that I'm interested in seeing, there's definitely a bunch more.

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2013

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

I'm excited/nervous that Zedd has a hand in producing ARTPOP. On one hand, I loving love both Gaga and Zedd, but on the other, I don't think Gaga's voice is suited for the kind of production Zedd normally does.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

Nike just dropped a free Ellie Goulding Halcyon Remix album mix here for those who like to run...or enjoy remixes. Only You remix is incredible.

01 (Intro) My Blood (Kastle Remix)
02 Anything Could Happen (Birdy Nam Nam Remix)
03 My Blood (Kastle Remix)
04 Dead in the Water (Drop Lamond Remix)
05 Hanging On (Ahadadream Remix)
06 Without Your Love (Amtrac Remix)
07 Figure 8 (Toyboy & Robin Remix)
08 Don’t Say a Word (Star Slinger Remix)
09 Only You (Special Features Remix)
10 Explosions (Stay Positive Remix)
11 Atlantis (Everything Everything Remix)

12 Halcyon (FTSE Remix)

Thanks for the track listing :) I didn't think anyone could make the bolded songs actually good, but drat, they are now!

I saw La Roux this past weekend at Coachella. Absolutely incredible. I'm so so looking forward to their new album. Gonna be so fuckin hype!

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Little Boots' sophomore album, Nocturnes, is now streaming on Pitchfork

And it's really really loving awesome. So disco.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

het posted:

I'm kinda surprised that Headphones isn't on the record, I liked it as much as I like anything on Nocturnes (though it's arguably higher energy than anything else on the album, maybe it's just that it didn't fit thematically?)

I wish Headphones had made the cut instead of Strangers. Strangers is the only song I don't like on Nocturnes :|

And oh my god, I'm seeing LB tonight. SO HYPED.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Blodskur posted:

About time! It's been 4 years since Don't Stop came out. Also for more August news: Ellie's new single "Burn" will be out then and a new song of hers "You My Everything" was premiered on the end of Skins last night here.

Wow, I'm liking that sample of You My Everything. Daaaaang that'll be nice in high quality.

What's up with already doing new songs though? She only had 3 singles off of Halcyon and it hasn't even been a year. I would have liked to see Halcyon or Only You as single. Hell, even Don't Say A Word would be cool.

I hope she releases an official Halcyon Remixed album. I really loved the mixtape, but I want the tracks in higher quality!

fake edit: The Ending would have made the best single ever. I'm still surprised as gently caress that it never made it onto the real album.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Aaaahhh gently caress, that's really awesome. Dang, can't wait to hear the rest of this stuff!

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

You My Everything and Burn are fire (haha dang i'm clever). Hyped. Sad that The Ending won't make it onto Halcyon Days. More people need to hear it.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Saw Ellie Goulding's DJ set last night in Chicago. She's not a fantastic DJ, but she did play a sweet remix of Burn, and also a new song from Halcyon Days called "Gold" (previously Midas Touch I'm assuming), which was cool. Got some video of it but not sure how great it is.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

There's a new Empress Of album out today and it is very very cool and good. I'm sad she won't be touring the US until next year because I'm an impatient baby but I'm excited nontheless!

Also emotionally preparing myself to see Florence today. I wasn't a huge fan of the latest album, but her live shows are always killer so I know it'll be good.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

The new Clean Bandit track featuring Marina is extremely good and cool.

I want more of Marina's own stuff, but I'll take anything I can get.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarinaDiamandis/status/1073281006713618432

A tease of a new Marina song. This album will kill me.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Little Boots still loving owns a decade later :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQzEib6hOA

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

the truth posted:

I tried listening to Marina and The Diamonds a few times over the years and she never really clicked with me, but I put her on shuffle on Spotify today with some good headphones and I am hooked.

What's your fave now?

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Enjoy your life is fantastic.

Marina literally picked the worst songs for the singles as it turns out.

The second half of the album is so much better.

Enjoy Your Life is so perfect it makes me cry :keke: I’m so happy with it. I was a little nervous after Orange Trees but now I’m hyped for the rest of the album again.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Just posting to stan Marina :unsmith:

The album is really good. Some really cheesy over-written stuff like Purge the Poison, but Highly Emotional People and Goodbye are up there with Obsessions/Numb, and Venus Fly Trap and Ancient Dreams are instant classics for her.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

the video/extended version of Tove Lo - No One Dies From Love is now available to stream

let me go stream 100x

the new song on the extended album is also funny and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

This ain't Texas........................