Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair Tom Siddell is a madman.

Paranatural had a buffer for a while, IIRC, but he exhausted it due to his wrist injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hire. An. Illustrator. It does not need to be entirely your art. People can even copy your style.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

as much as i love paranatural i don’t think the free webcomic prints enough money to hire an additional illustrator at an equitable rate!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Varinn posted:

as much as i love paranatural i don’t think the free webcomic prints enough money to hire an additional illustrator at an equitable rate!

think of the exposure

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they goes with an illustrated manuscript similar to what Cucumber Quest is doing. They already did one with the Minigolf story, and it would be easier on them.

Gann Jerrod fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 29, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
zach still goes by they, y'all, and i kind of doubt you really care if you can't even get that right

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What Zack really needs to do is learn to stop drawing with their drat wrist.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes with an illustrated manuscript similar to what Cucumber Quest is doing.

Did. I think she finished the chapter she was working on when she started that change, and there hasn't been anything more since then.

Yeah, I just looked it up, it's almost a year since the last update. July 3rd, 2019. That story isn't finishing in any form. *Stares bitterly at his Volumes 1-3 Kickstarter books and volume 4 on the bookshelf, collecting dust*

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

IUG posted:

Did. I think she finished the chapter she was working on when she started that change, and there hasn't been anything more since then.

Yeah, I just looked it up, it's almost a year since the last update. July 3rd, 2019. That story isn't finishing in any form. *Stares bitterly at his Volumes 1-3 Kickstarter books and volume 4 on the bookshelf, collecting dust*

I don't think CQ was ever intended to continue beyond the rest of that chapter, was it? Gigi DG just put up the rest of it as prose to give a little closure on the story once she decided to quit CQ and focus on all the professional work that had come her way.

Poppy O'possum went the "illustrated prose" route and intended to keep at it, but Morbi quit updating that too once it turned out to not address the frustrations they were having drawing the comic. They later just gave out a lot of the big answers and future story plans on their twitter since they were never going to actually get to those things in the story plan.

The only comic I know of to transition from full comic to illustrated prose and stick with it is Erfworld, which did eventually quit out but for entirely unrelated personal reasons. Other than that, taking out the drawings has only ever meant the beginning of the end for comic stories.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Varinn posted:

alright, get someone to work for free like Sleepless Domain presumably does, then. Zack has 24 thousand followers on Twitter so I'm sure the comic is popular enough to find someone willing to do it, and they can't possibly be any slower than someone whose wrist will literally explode like an inane movie bomb except it's if the bus reaches 20mph so it has to drive around like a tool

point being there is no shame in getting someone to help you with the artistic side when your body literally cannot handle it even at a pretty lax update speed

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cup Runneth Over posted:

alright, get someone to work for free like Sleepless Domain presumably does
It's all drawn by Cagle (except for the first couple intro chapters). No illustrator working for free here.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cat Mattress posted:

It's all drawn by Cagle (except for the first couple intro chapters). No illustrator working for free here.

Oh, I was thinking of the first couple intro chapters then. I thought it was the other way around, she started on her own and then brought in Vega. Especially since she refers to herself as "the writer" still in the sidebar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Get someone to destroy themselves to create quality the same way Zack did, but for free" might just be the most :psyduck: thing I've ever read.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PMush Perfect posted:

"Get someone to destroy themselves to create quality the same way Zack did, but for free" might just be the most :psyduck: thing I've ever read.

Zack destroyed themselves because they recklessly abused their muscles, not because destroying oneself is how you create quality. They're probably slower now for having burnt out spectacularly than they would be if they'd maintained a steady, healthy pace throughout the whole comic.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Zack destroyed themselves because they recklessly abused their muscles, not because destroying oneself is how you create quality. They're probably slower now for having burnt out spectacularly than they would be if they'd maintained a steady, healthy pace throughout the whole comic.

this feels like an extremely weird thing to say if you dont know them. "oh well its their fault" is kinda hosed up

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Varinn posted:

this feels like an extremely weird thing to say if you dont know them. "oh well its their fault" is kinda hosed up

That would be weird if this wasn't the 1,000th time this has been discussed in the thread!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

well I'm glad I'm here then because I guess the last 1000 times nobody told you that it's a lovely thing for a stranger to say about someone, even if it's true.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wrist strain isn't a muscle injury, it's a ligament injury. Your wrists aren't really built for side-to-side movement and develops strain quickly if used in that way.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Varinn posted:

well I'm glad I'm here then because I guess the last 1000 times nobody told you that it's a lovely thing for a stranger to say about someone, even if it's true.

Let me say it about everyone, then: Don't gently caress up your wrists with carpal tunnel. Learn the right way to draw and don't stress your muscles and/or ligaments, or you will regret it. It is possible to draw for decades and not have these problems. If you have them, it's most likely because you're drawing with your wrist, which is extremely bad for you, and not with your arm. Draw from the elbow.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yes, thats the difference between general advice and parasocial 'tough love' condescension from a stranger. I'm not trying to get into a fight about this because I get the feeling you're sincere about this, and I agree about everyone taking care of their wrists.

But like, do you think they aren't aware of that? That maybe having such intense wrist injury might weigh pretty heavily on a person who loves to do art? All I'm saying is have some compassion.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pretty sure Zack doesn't read this thread, and it was never actually about them but rather whether "getting an illustrator" equates to "dooming another human being to wrist injury working on the comic," (it doesn't) but if they do: We love you Zack. Hire or otherwise procure an illustrator, please! You don't have to do it alone.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey, I don't keep as close an eye on this thread as some others because I'm not caught up on the comic, but I got some messages about posts using the wrong pronoun for the author so I just want to make a little statement. I'm not going to be going heavy on mod buttons for the near future until ink is dry on whatever becomes of this site, so I'm just asking this as a general request and not like, "do it or get probated." Pronouns matter, being given the dignity of being referred to in the way you'd like matters, and although honest mistakes happen I urge you to double check your posts and just do basic due diligence. It seems like actually most of you are doing great with this but just keep an eye out please.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Now I'm remembering when Yuko Ota hosed up her drawin' wrist and her response was to develop her left hand enough to draw legibly if shakily with it, some people just won't stop drawing. My mom hurt her hands knitting intensely and she'd still be doing it if other people hadn't convinced her to ease up a bit on the hours-long knitting sessions. This isn't really relevant to anything. Anyway I'm fine enough with off-weeks as long as Zack is communicating, nobody here wants them to hurt their wrist more but I don't think they'd want to hire an illustrator. I'd be down for illustrated manuscripts even if they were just side story stuff, they're a great writer.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I just learned today that Zack uses they/them pronouns too, and it makes me so happy to see so many people being so respectful of their pronouns :)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That would be weird if this wasn't the 1,000th time this has been discussed in the thread!

it was bordering on/crossing over to weird the other 999 times too

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
If wrist injuries are preventing them from drawing a page two weeks in a row they should probably either go into physical therapy or stop making the webcomic for the sake of their health tbh, as much as I love it

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The idea of injuries or conditions being a person's fault is an outdated, childlike understanding and deeply ableist. Some people, like Zach, get an injury due to some underlying condition affecting their wrists or inadvertently hurt themself. I highly doubt they intended to cause this, and it may be possible your elbow advice won't work for them. Stop being gross imo.

Anyway I hope the lesbians gently caress

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hope the lesbians hold hands.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It's also extremely exhausting to have the same 'advice' crop up every time Zack says the word wrist

Are y'all really just assuming Zack is doing NOTHING about it? Just going 'oh jeez there it goes again!' It borders on disrespectful the amount of times people in the thread just seem to assume they're blowing their wrist up over and over again going "gosh there's nothing that can be done to alleviate this".

If you've got real advice or resources that could help them out, you should go directly to them instead of running in circles here white noising the thread they probably don't know exists over and over again on every delay. Like there's expressing concern and then there's assuming Zack is a self-destructive idiot, or getting mad and entitled about it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's equally exhausting when people don't read the posts and just knee-jerk whine about the topic. Do any of you even remember how this tangent started?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think CQ was ever intended to continue beyond the rest of that chapter, was it?

Good timing!

https://twitter.com/_ggdg_/status/1278576246054506498
https://twitter.com/_ggdg_/status/1278576602142502912

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm sorry for having the deeply ableist and offensive take "maybe have a buffer," I'll make sure to check my privilege and stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Bleck posted:

I'm sorry for having the deeply ableist and offensive take "maybe have a buffer," I'll make sure to check my privilege and stuff

Uh, okay, for sure dude

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's not even on a different page. It's right here:

PMush Perfect posted:

This :psyduck: take that having an illustrator means destroying someone "the same way Zack did" (btw, maybe you should take your victim-blaming accusations to them instead of me). It had nothing to do with giving advice to Zack. Get your heads out of your asses.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Coincidentally I still believe that we'll get a proper ending to RPG world someday.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bleck posted:

- nobody was saying this about you
- you need to update your whining about ~SJWs~ b/c 'check your privilege' is a few years out of date

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

Coincidentally I still believe that we'll get a proper ending to RPG world someday.

We did though? It was even on TV and everything.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

readingatwork posted:

Well, it's also what Spike said about Templar, AZ.

In all these cases, I'm happy with what all three have made already, and further content would be a welcome bonus.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
update! everything is going fine, nothing is wrong

have we heard of 'agent summers' before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think so.

Early observations before I fall back asleep:

Final panel sure looks like a face.

Spender's emotional reaction may have triggered this judging from the framing and the timing.

Take note of that boat and where it is. There's a lot we don't know about that lake.