Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

"Pain that burns white hot. Cavernous lack. A want made need by endless tides of yearning."

e: that's my best snipe yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Snipes have longer beaks, that's an owl.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I feel compelled to point out that BL makes a point of saying "By our hands, impossible to kill."

Not just "impossible to kill".

It's possible that Sandman was either killed by something else and she took it, it was sealed in her at full power (ouch!), or was a Grudge that evolved within her.

For that matter we have no idea where BL's physical body is. She might have to be kept far away from anything to stop it regenerating.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
With the crescent moon motif and the "Sandman" name, this spirit's powers are clearly sleep-related. Maybe Boss Leader is in a Sleeping Beauty situation, literally incapable of waking up.

It's also possible that the whole persistent dreamworld used as Paranatural Activity Consortium HQ is created so as to drain Sandman's powers maintaining it as fast as the spirit regains its power, so that things stay stable and it can't just get the last bits of energy needed to break free from Boss Leader and wreck all kinds of somnolent havoc.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah since just about the first time we've seen BL I've had strong "is probably in a coma somewhere" vibes. When max asks why she Boss Leads the ghost cops instead of living in fantasy she says she likes real people too much, implying this is her only way of having contact with real people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given her powers are dream-related and she's presumably maintaining the Consortium's HQ at all times so people can always access it as needed and use it as a base regardless of their location in the world, I took it as a given that she herself is always asleep, really.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Given her powers are dream-related and she's presumably maintaining the Consortium's HQ at all times so people can always access it as needed and use it as a base regardless of their location in the world, I took it as a given that she herself is always asleep, really.

There's also the time Max asked her why she was running an HQ rather than building some awesome fantasy world or something, and she replied that she is just too fond of the real world. Which makes a lot more sense if she can't otherwise be in it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

With the crescent moon motif and the "Sandman" name, this spirit's powers are clearly sleep-related. Maybe Boss Leader is in a Sleeping Beauty situation, literally incapable of waking up.

I'll add some wild guessing to that. My theory is that the primary purpose of the dream world is not the whole "Consortium HQ" thing, that's just an useful side-effect. The main purpose is to constantly drain the Sandman's spiritual energy by basically forcing it to keep using its dream power 24/7 to maintain the dream world and making sure it never recovers enough energy to become an independent spirit again. Boss Leader its obviously Sandman's medium, so she is forced into coma to shape the dream world and to maintain the delicate balance of draining neither too much or too little energy. Although considering how mediums eventually take on characteristics of their spirits, not waking up might be just a natural a side-effect of hosting the wight of dreams in your body.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I'll add some wild guessing to that. My theory is that the primary purpose of the dream world is not the whole "Consortium HQ" thing, that's just an useful side-effect. The main purpose is to constantly drain the Sandman's spiritual energy by basically forcing it to keep using its dream power 24/7 to maintain the dream world and making sure it never recovers enough energy to become an independent spirit again. Boss Leader its obviously Sandman's medium, so she is forced into coma to shape the dream world and to maintain the delicate balance of draining neither too much or too little energy. Although considering how mediums eventually take on characteristics of their spirits, not waking up might be just a natural a side-effect of hosting the wight of dreams in your body.

My personal theory is that if BL isn't waking up due to Sandman's influence, then it's a purposeful life-long coma. BL did mention her predecessor, which makes me think she inherited this role from some other comatose vegetable.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

My personal theory is that if BL isn't waking up due to Sandman's influence, then it's a purposeful life-long coma. BL did mention her predecessor, which makes me think she inherited this role from some other comatose vegetable.

Alternatively, the consortium could not have had the dream world until BL became a medium for Sandman. Which itself might be one of the major contributing factors for BL taking the mantle of Boss Leader in the first place as she would have become a vastly powerful Spectral and someone central to the consortium's operation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Did a full re-read, and came to two conclusions:

1. gently caress this comic is good
2. Man it's been a while since we've seen Scrapdragon. Obviously there's not a huge range of interactions Max can have with it while it's still a grudge, but it's been a looooooooong time since we've seen the dude, and I really wanna learn more about it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It was years of days ago

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as unbearable as the Hitball/Hijack chapter became, the page where johnny et al interrogate jeff may be one of the greatest in the medium

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Did a full re-read, and came to two conclusions:

1. gently caress this comic is good
2. Man it's been a while since we've seen Scrapdragon. Obviously there's not a huge range of interactions Max can have with it while it's still a grudge, but it's been a looooooooong time since we've seen the dude, and I really wanna learn more about it.

How long has it been since we last saw Max, the main character of the comic? Two years?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

as unbearable as the Hitball/Hijack chapter became, the page where johnny et al interrogate jeff may be one of the greatest in the medium

Hitball is pretty much where the comic fell apart and just became entirely too ADHD but hell even I’ll agree to that.

~What are your hopes and also dreams~

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Who What Now posted:

How long has it been since we last saw Max, the main character of the comic? Two years?

We saw him briefly at the end of the last chapter, with the rest of the gang, getting omionus warnings from the sphinxes

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hitball is pretty much where the comic fell apart and just became entirely too ADHD but hell even I’ll agree to that.

~What are your hopes and also dreams~

It was aeternal but especially on a reread I thought it did a nice job of juggling between its 12 plot points. It was just....a lot to go through one time a week when Zach was able to do one a week.
then it was followed by a chapter that was super focused leading to a vareity of mysteries. The worst part about it was the never eending big foot narration.
and now we're here, in a structured set of flashbacks!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
On re-read the Hitball chapter is honestly pretty good and enormously funny (And the actual events of hitball take up maybe about a quarter of the chapter). I will say though that there's a lot that could have been eliminated or cut down through editing, Hijack's dialogue especially, and the timeline specifics around the reveal of who Hijack is really piloting aren't always clear in the moment. I think Zack has learned from the experience, though—Chapter 6 was relatively short and focused, and the current chapter has already taken a deep dive into some long-standing questions/mysteries.

e: hell, when's the last time we even had a good diatribe on ~ethics~?

double edit: actually zack's worst crime is that the greatest character in all of comics, Johnny Jhonny, hasn't shown up in two years, Give Me More Johnny

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 31, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ethics is the worst branch of philosophy

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On re-read the Hitball chapter is honestly pretty good and enormously funny (And the actual events of hitball take up maybe about a quarter of the chapter).

Yep! I re-read the entire comic recently and the Hitball chapter is great when you can read it in a few dozens of minutes instead of four loving years.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Countblanc posted:

It was years of days ago
I use this expression all the time now, thanks to how crazy the past few years have been.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love hitball, zack's action sequences are always a ton of fun

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wherein some things are confirmed about Boss Leader

Alt text: screaming in jagged rainbows... the ultimate lullaby

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

"Please don't be scared" is interesting. I guess the wight isn't malevolent?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean all that was established about wights so far is that they are extremely powerful and dangerous. No one said that they have to be evil.

EDIT: I'll follow suit and put it into spoiler, because why not.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

"Please don't be scared" is interesting. I guess the wight isn't malevolent?

Makes sense, they were described as having found the center of an emotional maelstrom so they have reached a point of tenuous stability. Every Boss Leader being a coma patient isn't terribly surprising but it's also nice to confirm that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We're not getting the inception flashback then :v:

So, Sandman isn't the feminine wight that attacked them earlier. I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the feminine wight is what's locked behind the Monster Door given BL's comment about their dreams being too close to each other. Wonder if Mina will get to ask her about that door before we move on to Rick's second flashback.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Interesting.

The one that attacked earlier said "look at me" and Dr Burger said it was "lonely". Aside from giving extremely Simone-from-Nier-Automata vibes, that makes it seem that Max might've made exactly the right call with saving Scrapdragon from BL to prevent its Grudge state worsening.

Ghost Train's a Grudge now as well iirc.

Also with the feminine one from before saying "look at me", and being implied by Spender's PTSD-flashback to be in a lake, I'm calling it now: It's some kind of Siren, and it's why spirits are attracted to Mayview.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Given that there's been a series of Boss Leaders, I wonder if that means we'll see Penny become the new Boss Leader before the comic ends.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

yeah yeah lore and whatever but more importantly I think boss leader might have a thing for buff ladies

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

T-man posted:

yeah yeah lore and whatever but more importantly I think boss leader might have a thing for buff ladies

Does she want to be with one or does she want to be one or does she want both

I think what she mostly wants is muscles.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rick's like 13...15 tops here right? The boss leader switch over must've been pretty recent.

T-man posted:

It's pretty subtle, though, hard to say for sure.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

T-man posted:

I think it's more she never met her predecessor and is only going off reputation. The reputation that the previous BL was buff. Very buff.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rannum posted:

Rick's like 13...15 tops here right? The boss leader switch over must've been pretty recent.

He's 16. He could reasonably have been under a different boss leader when he was 13; at that age it would make sense to both be within the organisation and not know the boss personally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I appreciate the quick confirmation of the "BL is in a coma" theory from the last few pages.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I appreciate the quick confirmation of the "BL is in a coma" theory from the last few pages.

Same!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Wights having trouble talking in a way other people can handle has interesting implications for the angel, who I agree must be the wight in the lake. She also has the rainbow text characteristic of wight wail, but she can actually talk in a intelligible and even pleasant manner.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
The wight telling everyone "Please don't be scared" reminds me of that bit in the Bible where an angel appears to someone and it says "Be not afraid" because the guy was losing his poo poo at the sight of the angel (which, according to the Bible, is a massive wheel of fire studded with glowing eyes).

Edit: lol apparently there's biblically accurate angel memes, because of course there are

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 8, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The spectrum stuff probably has something to do with how the angel and the thing inside Max were split apart from an original wight.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rand Brittain posted:

The spectrum stuff probably has something to do with how the angel and the thing inside Max were split apart from an original wight.

I'm not sure the angel is part of the broken god -- Doorman specifically says she doesn't fear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Oh, my, BL is showing her real face. Sort of. You know she's serious!

Have we seen Mina's spirit before? This isn't her Cocoon friend.

ETA: Patchworm, that's the name. Or is it? Patchworm has rainbow lettering.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 11, 2020