Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Sun Yue

Sun Yue slips into the room and walks over to check out some of the posters, tilting her head to one side and then the other. After a moment, she turns around and sits on the edge of the desk.

["Those posters aren't bad, but Little Mina is going to be mad there aren't any of her."] She peers into the takeout boxes until she finds one with some rice, then snags some chopsticks so she can dig in. ["So! What's the deal with all the stuff going on in Dubai?"]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The two mangaka jump!

Arata jumps more. ["What the heck? Another one?!"]

Daisuke doesn't jump much, probably because he is too heavy. Instead, he leans back in surprise before leaning in and talking to Sun Yue like she might be crazy.

["Uh, hey. Nice costume, but how did you get in here?..."]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

["Heroic intuition!"] Sun Yue responds between bites. ["Also it's not a costume. Check this out!"]

She tosses the takeout box and chopsticks into the air, then with one foot pushes off the floor, flipping over completely so her feet hit the ceiling. Fate Defying Virtue practically leaps into her hand as she makes her gravity defying maneuver, and then the blade flicks out three times, neatly dividing the box and each chopstick into equal halves. One serving of rice falls in front of each of the mangaka, with thinner-than-usual but functional chopsticks.

Yue pushes off the ceiling, flipping over again, to land on the other side of desk, using her sword to flick a stick of dango up. With a flourish, the sword is sheathed, the sweet caught, and the youxia alights back on the edge of the desk, a smirk on her face.

Awesome wuxia powers go! Going to place the aspect Youxia-dn't Doubt Me on the scene.
[19:33] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, +-//+5 = 5

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Maximina

Maximina rushes into the room. Her sudden surge of violence is abruptly halted by the appearance of an entire wall of posters bearing her face. She stares at it dumbly, easing her hand off the butt of her gun.

"I'm... I'm beautiful."

Also, she doesn't speak Japanese.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Mina, refusing to be left behind, strolls in behind Maximina.

"...The gently caress?!"

["Oi! Creeps! Where the hell is my beautiful face?! What, I'm not good enough for your skeeze wall?!"]

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Arthur Durandall FP 4/5, Kurokami Office

"What the...you're not supposed to serve them dinner...Mina, Mina, wait!" Arthur can feel the situation slipping out of control above him.

"gently caress it!"

With one last swear he charges upstairs with a gun out...then stops dead at the sight of all the posters.

"...What the gently caress is wrong with you people. Besides the obvious."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 15, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Madeleine follows, because why not. "Bonjour!"

Mizuki leans in the doorway. ["So you're the idiots."]

Arata and Daisuke stare at each other open-mouthed for a few moments.

Arata responds first, in English.

"Now I'm confused. What the hell is going on?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

"We're the Intellectual Property Infringement Police, and you are so loving under arrest. But more importantly; do you have more posters of me in the back room? I'm collecting evidence."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sharon [4/5]

"It's a serious offense to falsely represent yourself as a cop, dude," Sharon says as she barges in. She elbows Arthur in the ribs. "Right? Like, maybe you should arrest her. Crimes against humanity. And taste."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"I'd rather arrest these two for defamation," Arthur says bluntly to Sharon. "Of me specifically. So what's your angle, you sick, sick people? You got some kind of set up with the guy with the cat ears headband?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
"Who?" Arata says.

"Excuse me," Daisuke says. He reaches across the middle desk to pull Arata's head into a huddle.

If you know Japanese, you can make out most of their conversation.

["Okay. So... that's Arthur, right? Actual Arthur. The one you wrote."]

["Looks like him. And that was Sun Yue on the ceiling."]

["Okay. So... magic?"]

["Are you a sorcerer?"]

["Do I look like a sorcerer? Maybe one of us is a para-psychic?"]

["The government would have noticed. Hold on."]

Arata looks up. "Hey. So. Where did you come from?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"That's not the important question. The important question is where the gently caress are my posters?!?! I'm an 8 at worst, easily a solid 9. Last time I was in Japan, I had people all but drooling over this toned bod. So what the gently caress?!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

"California," Sharon says. "But we were in Dubai, until we went through a hole in space and time and ended up down the block."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Daisuke turns his datapad around to show Mina his sweet Mina wallpaper.

"This is the first time we've heard of this," Arata says. He rolls his chair over to a shelf and runs his hands over a bunch of NyarlathoTekku volumes. "So all that stuff in Dubai actually happened? With, ah—"

"Not all of it," Mizuki interrupts.

Madeleine nods. "From what I read we're up to Volume 10?"

Arata turns to stare at you, then slowly runs his hand back down the Trigger Warning volumes to a little over halfway.

"Oh."

"Er," Daisuke coughs.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue is suddenly bumping Arata out of the way with a hip check, and grabbing the unreleased future volumes! That is so cheating.

Unless something stops her. Seeing what intervenes might be almost as interesting a piece of information.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Oh gods, there's more?!" Arthur bites his lips, trembles a bit and stares in horror at the rest of the Trigger Warning manga line--those cursed things!--before fumbling into his coat and pulling out his OOI badge. "Uh...uhm...I, er...persuant to all the, uh, statutes and bylaws that govern the, Office of Occult Investigation, I'm seizing that entire manga collection there!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

Mina gives a thumbs up!

"Much better. Now, while these other losers scratch around for whatever dumb eldritch bullshit is going on, I have a much more important thing to discuss."

She sits on a chair that sizzles into reality!

"How much am I going to be seeing on royalties? You ARE using my image, after all. Also, I just need a quick confirmation - I continue being the best person on this time and don't die lamely or anything, right?""

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

Maximina stares at the manga volumes, licking her lips in hesitation. "Do you really think we should read them? Predestination is a hell of a thing. Some damned indian swami foretold my great to the umpteen great grandfathers death a long time ago, and it bloody ruined his life. He didn't even find out what a blitzkrieg was until decades later, and then nobody would believe him."

Then she pauses. "Although... if we don't like what we read, could we just make these guys write something different?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

"It's already written and published, dude. That's what the finger thing on the books was about."

Sharon holds up her doujin. "Also, it's fiction."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

"It's clearly a little more than fiction," Maximina says, eying the works. "And I would think that you, of all people, would understand the concept of retcon."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

"Well," Sharon says. "Retroactive continuity implies a negating or taking-back of previously-extant elements of a media narrative, which is not really what my unit does. And, like, if you're gonna talk about the deeper ramifications of having your reality scripted for you, uhh, then I am woefully unconcerned about the psychosocial pressure of a pair of Akihabara comics nerds."

She waves in the direction of the comics team. "No offense, nerds."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue continues to thumb through the pile. "You're both right and you're both wrong." She studies the cover of one of the later volumes, frowning. "It's not these guys that are behind it. Or at least not directly."

"I totally called this at the start too. All of us are getting jerked around by magic! I think we're caught up in an observer effect from the incursion of an alien intelligence from a strongly anthrocentric dimension that's latched onto a narrative schema in order to interface with our reality because it's weird and unsquishy - to the alien intelligence I mean."

She whirls and points at the mangaka. "That's why I wanted to check these nerds out! I figure the alien has allies on this side to help it along, right? It works better if it has a pre-existing narrative it can latch onto to manipulate events. Even better if someone sets up a geas engine that runs this stuff as its eigenplot, but that's probably not what's going on. Mostly someone just needs to nudge events along here and there, play muse a bit, and get some dupes to get the ball rolling down the hill. Sorry, dupes."

"But it's got to be someone who can influence these two, right?" Yue jabs her finger at them again. "How did you come up with the character concepts? Was there anyone else involved in the development process? Are any of your publishers horrible cultists?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The volumes about the last adventure you had were published eighteen months ago.

Most of the newer ones seem to be about side-characters you've met before — instead of your current adventure, the next volume takes a detour to follow Bakuzene as she chases her dad. Some of them involve you here and there, though. Maximina, Da'ud Mina in particular seem to be creator favourites that keep coming back.

Arata leans over Sun Yue's shoulder.

"Oh, yeah. Ah... This series never took off like our last one. Especially the translations. There'd be a strike, or some other mangaka's series would take our spot for a while, or something."

"We were starting to think it was cursed," Daisuke butts in. "We tried making the next plot about characters that did well in the polls. It sort of worked."

Arata sits back down and gestures to his work. "We just finished work on a video game. We were going to bring everyone back for the final story about the end... of..."

Silence.

["Oh, poo poo,"] Daisuke says.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

Sharon rolls her eyes and puts her hands on her hips.

"You're about to say 'the world,' aren't you? No wonder your books don't sell."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Wow, can't believe the OOI missed this for a year and a half," Arthur mutters sarcastically as he skims and thumbs through the manga one by one. His sigh of relief that he's not in any of the more recent issues suddenly turns into a choked cough as the mangaka being to describe the series finale.

"Please...PLEASE tell me you were going to say 'the end of this stupid caper'."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"Oh gently caress you, we have to save the world now? Ain't no profit there if I never saw it. I vote we pass this poo poo up the chain and let someone else deal with it. Also, give me your hottest posters of me or I'll do mean things to you."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

Yue throws up her hands. "Weren't you guys listening? I just totally explained that this whole thing is getting set up so we can't pass it up the chain! It's like, off the chain. In a bad way."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

Maximina sighs and squares her shoulders. Somehow, she knew it'd come to this. "Saving the world is practically a family tradition at this point. Just tell me what it is. It's not Nazis, is it? I'm really sick of Nazis."

"Your video game is shite, by the way. Not even MA rated."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Arata is pulling up extra AR screens and going through his character notes.

"It doesn't end. You're supposed to stop it. Well, you and some other guys. We haven't gotten that far."

"We were going to figure it out later," Daisuke adds.

"But it was definitely the finale," Arata says. "Let's see... ah, got you."

The writer pulls up his original notes. There are a lot of really cool rejected characters, but it seems like only you guys got past the concept stage. There are a few early versions of you (that look a little like how you used to dress, when you were a dork) and a bunch of reference poses.

"We came up with it on our own," Arata says. "Shueisha publish it, but they mostly just had this guy telling us what parts of Classic sold well."

"No cultists as far as we know," Daisuke says.

Then he blinks and leans forward, finger raised.

"Wait a minute. So that party happened? Those murders?"

"Did we..." Arata pauses on a sketch of Loop clashing with some eyepatch rear end in a top hat. "Is this guy real? Did the people we have die actually die?!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

"Jesus, it's like you people never took a Responsibility in Media Production course," Sharon says. "A couple people die because you had to get your pen wet and you get all..."

The starlet's gaze unfocuses for a second and the corners of her mouth twitch down. She pulls out the doujin monolith and starts flipping pages.

"Uh. Hey. This guy from your publisher. Did he look like this?"

She points to one character in one panel of one four-koma, in his only appearance through the entire volume. It's Your Best Friend.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sun Yue

"What?!" Yue grabs the sketch. "Loop Dorkman better not have killed eyepatch guy! Tsurugi is totally my rival, not his!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"How were you not aware of this stuff?!" Arthur suddenly starts yelling. "This sort of thing is on SpaceNews and junk all the time!" He takes a deep breath and sighs in pure exasperation. "...who's the financial backer for these comics? What did they look like?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mina Fisher

"Still not hearing anything regarding royalties for using my image, you know."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud

Da'ud has been in the scene! Just...quiet. In the back. Hidden by animation error.

"I have told you you're gorgeous before, Max." He shrugs. He's rather less upset about all this than the others, perhaps because his life is amazing.

"You realize that it could be a link the other way, though. They could be oracles. [Anyway...honestly, this is all fascinating. The party did happen, though, and it was amazing.["

He turns, examining some of the art and grinning. "I wonder what the geomancy around here is like...[do you mind if I set up some wards to test the area?]"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Maximina

"Tch," Maximina says. "It's one thing to know, another thing to be told, it's a whole other thing entirely to have merchandisable evidence."

A thought occurs to Maximina. A bad one. She turns to Da'ud. "Is this stuff... dangerous?" She gestures at the posters, the comics, the terrible, terrible body pillows. "I mean... okay. I don't bloody know how magic works, but... Voodoo dolls, right? Sympathetic magical links?" She picks up a plastic anime tchotchke of herself. "Hard to get more sympathetic than this."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Imagine what would happen if they started writing you as a pretty prissy princess," Arthur deadpans. "Or me as some all-destroying impossibly cool demon-god-thingy."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Sharon/Arthur

Arata adjusts his glasses. "Ah... yeah. That's him. Cool guy. Big fans of ours. We based the character off him. We couldn't remember his name, but he said he was our fan, so... get it?"

"He left after Shueisha bought the concept," Daisuke adds. "New guy's okay. We didn't put him in though."

Mina

"...Don't know about royalties, though," Daisuke scratches his chin. "Do we just tell Shueisha what's happened, or—"

"The OOI would lock us up," Arata says.

Daisuke waves a hand. "Hey, hey, we'll be fine. We're just mangaka."

"Are you sure?" Arata waves a hand at you. "Look at this poo poo! I'm starting to have doubts! And what about that Kirisame girl?"

"Ooh, yeah," Daisuke nods. "We offed a government agent, huh?"

"poo poo!" Arata grabs his head. "This is too much. I'm out. I need a drink or something!"

Da'ud

Daisuke shrugs at you while Arata panics.

"Okay, so, this is weird. Got any ideas? Go ahead and do whatever tests you want, just don't break anything."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sharon [4/5]

Sharon collapses into a chair, comics dropping from her hand. In violation of everything she's been trained to do when there might be a camera within a mile, she slouches.

"I'm going to die. I was going to do my twenty years and get my rez ticket, and now it's all hosed. And it's not even my fault! A pair of nerds made a deal with the devil and now I'm completely and totally hosed."

She runs a hand through her hair under her wig and rolls an eye towards the other people in the room. "You guys are dead too, I guess."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"SO glad to see you care, Sharon," Arthur manages to deadpan. He adds a bit of an affected handwave at the "SO" bit. "So the YBF--seems like everything spirals around this guy. He's gotta have contacts somewhere...one second."

He pulls out his cell phone and dials up Arif. "Da, Arif! Yes, we're fine. I love you too, Arif. Listen, I've got my tablet here, you've got your thing in the van. Can you find anything in the FSB archives about a man with a cat-eared headband? I'll check the OOI from my end..."

Time to use those skills I have. Like OCCINT.
[01:05:52] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+4
[01:05:53] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -//++4 = 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Da'ud - FP: 4/5

Da'ud nods.

"Of course." He gets to work with some paper, pens and thumbtacks, setting up runes in the right places. Tracking the flow of magic in the area and whether the place is some kind of nexus in itself should be helpful - and also let him see if there's been any secret spells set up in the place as well.

He's got a hunch about their Biggest Fan, and if he's right...well, things of that level of power leave traces behind.

[20:38] <skybot> MorsRattus: -1 (4dF=+, 0, -, -)

For Sorcery, that'd be a 4. For Notice, a 3. Either way, I will spend an FP to invoke Oxford School of Postmortem Thaumatology to get +2.

• Locked thread