Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Madrox posted:

So is this a character from another of her comics? I've only read Unsounded...

uhhh I think this guy is like her favorite character which is kinda bumming me out since he seems to be the "Superpowered expression of Man's Id" cliche which is a cliche I loving despise and am bored with. I'm kinda hoping he doesn't gently caress the comic up being an overpowered silly cannibal rapist thing that dominates every scene he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New page is up; yeah I totally trust this guy who just fondly remembered what sounds like rape, let's let him loose!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette is largely the main protagonist so she's got impenetrable plot armor and can't really get anything more than minor booboos.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm doubting it'll be that bad. I hope so anyway. This seems to fit with the whole thing where she pounds you over the head with a club to get basic characterization/plot/lore across if you're not reading any of the sperg-poo poo past the comic itself.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And here I was thinking he was only going to try and eat her since it's been however long since he had done so; nope, he absolutely was going to rape her. :gonk:

And this guy is going to be essentially one of if not the primary antagonist(s). Guess he's certainly hateable enough.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It'll swerve back to maudlin, since if you recall Duane technically died 6 years ago.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Reminder that the khert sucks up all memories from dead people's souls.

Note that this is something that Duane is not witnessing himself, but Sette is seeing it in the khert.

Kinda easy to draw some conclusions from that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well it looks like Formspring is shutting down, so the spergbait is gonna be gone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine his family is just fine. That's a lot of people to suddenly have to kill off, so I imagine Duane doesn't want to go back since he's well, an undead monstrosity.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is also a setting where the main religion of the continent unironically has their priests/high-up muckity mucks indulge in literal ritualistic cannibalism.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm glad nothing like that takes place in the preeminent real-world religion :getin:
No, they like, actually eat a literal person. Since their gods are twins, when twins are born one is typically offered up, raised as a priest, then ritually slaughtered and eaten by high ranking church members at such and such an age.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Onean posted:

Do we know if it's even possible for him to return the his family? I was under the impression that Duane isn't exactly young, and any family he might have had is long dead.
Duane himself says he's been dead for about 6 years or so, so they're still alive. His caste are basically normal humans with normal lifespans as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
According to the author, they're executing captured members of The March, which is a secularist/sorta-anarchist movement. They aren't well liked if you can imagine.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SlothfulCobra posted:

Public executions used to be a very popular form of entertainment, gruesome as it sounds.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if there were similar scenes in the heart of Cresce. If the Aldish do mass sacrifice in murderpits, then Crescians wouldn't be able to shut up about it unless it's not all that much of a culture shock.

Where does Cresce get all those plods from anyways?
The reason why both countries agreed to not use them anymore in warfare despite how much they hate eachother is because they got most of them from raising their own and the enemy's dead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hello, handsome dead man.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Cresce is a good shot at an actual meritocracy but of course there's some glass ceilings in there, and they think they literally own everything. The peaceguard patrols in the neighboring countries are pretty much just spies that occasionally do policework.

Also the whole war between Alderode and Cresce was actually started by Cresce; however many hundreds/thousands of years ago Alderode was having some massive internal upheaval and Cresce decided to make a grab for the whole country, doing so by slaughtering everyone they ran into. Alderode united and got its poo poo together, then pushed them out. So basically Cresce is responsible for everything, including Alderode kinda sucking.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Deki posted:

Where are you getting this from?
The wiki/formspring. The important stuff is going to be explained- the black tongues in particular have gotten a bit of development but the fact that they've made most of the really useful poo poo that the government uses (like the spells used to create plods) hasn't been touched on yet in the comic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

T.G. Xarbala posted:

His job requires him to be armed at all times.
:downsrim:

Usually when people here ask perfectly logical questions like that someone has on the formspring or whatever the hell it is now- just checked and yep, it's going to be explained.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I looked at the formspring (well I guess it's ask.fm now? whatever) thing and the author takes a shot at her own art, making fun of the background details of this panel:

Then someone comments it looks like a... particular face and she responds:

Ha. The gal's alright.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

Well that got pretty serious; even Mikaila enjoying herself and Duane's "~IMAGINATION~" spell couldn't completely lighten it. (Also, confirmation that Duane's the older one. (Also also, drat, that dragon thing has some gnarly teeth.))

Unrelated, I just noticed that the red on Duane's hands is actually part of the gloves; at first I noticed a lack of fingernails and thought they either weren't drawn or got scorched off too (augh), then went back to check things and noticed the seams on the gloves going along the red as well as the brown parts. Went back further, to when he got burnt and before that, and yep, he's just got a weird pair of gloves. Hand's still hosed up underneath no doubt, but it's better than my previous notion that he was waving his bloody appendages around during the sermon and meeting and such.
Formspring says the gloves are special and given to very exceptional wrights so stupid people don't challenge them to duels and get killed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Drakyn posted:

I'm very curious as to HOW the horrible thing happens now. If it's as straight forward as "Bodie says hello" *family disemboweled, then Duane* I'd expect Duane to be brofisting Quigley on the subject of How Alderode Is The Pits, not still a patriotic loyalist. Unless he got a little selective editing of memories...but then it'd be weird that he keeps flashbacking to his daughter, and what's the point of erasing things that can torture him if you're being cruel? Maybe he thinks the system's fine but the people in charge of it need replacing... but a system that permits something awful to happen to your family would be a preeettty big hurdle to overcome even for a diehard 'my-country-right-or-wrong' man.
Right now, my money's on "deeply suspicious accident pinned on Cresce somehow."
Duane's country is the only barrier between him and a continent of people who would kill him on the spot for his religion. Basically, Alderode is the only place where he and his family could have lived in relative safety.

Also the rest of his church is pretty nice to him and the whole military mindset.

I'm still not convinced his family is going to die. I'm not sure even the "I'm so cute! Man, I love being alive! Aren't I cute!?" daughter is doomed. Duane flat out said he doesn't ever want to return to Alderode. Since he still thinks the country is a model for the world to follow, I imagine it's less that he hates Alderode/has nothing to go home to but rather that he doesn't want to chance seeing his family again as an undead monstrosity (which would be extra traumatic to them since the undead are ESPECIALLY offensive to their religion).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, at least Duane picked up a slight inkling that something is coming.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I am actually somewhat sure the kid survives at this point. The author has only really killed people with very little characterization so far and Mikaila has gotten an awful of it in just a couple dozen pages for her to be cut down in the street with her dad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Duane was in the army and spent most of his pre-churchy career training soldier wrights. He knows how to murder people.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't count on the author knowing medieval weaponry but a proper crossbow would literally blow a loving hole in you at the distances Duane has been hit at. Could be trying to catch him?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Freeform RPers are interesting to hang out with if you can deal with a high degree of cringe and they don't talk shop all the time.

So basically like any nerds, only instead of cring-ey talk about anime, figurines, comics, cartoons, CCGs, etc you get to politely try and tolerate "hilarious" RP stories about the time someone got raped.

Madrox posted:

Should I recognize the person showing up in the last panel? Or is that just another one of the goons from the group attacking Duane?
I think it's one of the other goons since their head is bloodied up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think we're starting to get back to "reality", as it were.

Ugh, I forgot about Murkoph completely during this flashback. I hope the Unsounded twist on him is the same kinda quality as the twists on Duane/Sette or he may as well be riding into the shot on skis to jump an actual shark.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Even if she likes the character, I don't think she's writing him with the intention that others will. I don't like him because he's a nothing character from nowhere; if a character could literally be edited out of every panel they're in and the comic still would make perfect sense you have a really shittily written character.

edit: doesn't mean I trust her to not gently caress up a perfectly good comic with this guy; every panel this guy's in oozes ":swoon: my favorite character! Lookit how fuckin sexy and mysterious he is! :swoon:"

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 28, 2013

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Avshalom posted:

I live in hope that the next few pages will have Duane doing the proper thing as a surrogate dad and reducing this guy to a chunky red paste.
If you aren't familiar with Murkoph the dude is flat out the author favorite character; and she has said multiple times he figures majorly, majorly into the story to the point it's been written around him in the same way it's written around Sette/Duane. He's not going anywhere.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wheats posted:

This tumblr post actually explains some of her intentions with Murkoph. If you don't trust her to continue to handle her story after how well done this chapter has been, I don't know what to tell you.
That actually sounds pretty terrible. At least he's not the bigbad like I was kinda fearing he might be.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seoinin posted:

Wait so this creeplord out of nowhere is, like, an actual capital-C Character? The gently caress?
Yeah; I imagine how he got there and why will be explored at one point but his entrance really wasn't handled all that well. Not really any foreshadowing or references beforehand or even a real setup.

Sette just finds this creepy dead dude trapped in a wall in the khert, she's desperate for someone to protect her from the giant bird chasing her, this guy comes off like a pip so she lets him out. I guess it's in character but there's no real build up; he literally just grabs her and tries to rape her the instant he's loose.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seoinin posted:

Ohhh I get it now. That blog post about Murkoph is the first I've seen of all that other stuff. I was completely sideswiped by the way she was talking about him like he was an established character already instead of just some inexplicable prick-inna-wall.

The fact there's all this supplemental material explains a little why some of the story seems so drat opaque.
The whole world is Tolkien-level (in detail) established from like a decade of her RP gaming group, so it has this enormous backstory/canon it pulls from.

This is really cool because it means if you have any spergy interests in minutia it likely has a sensible, canon answer rather than being "A wizard did it shut the gently caress up so I can tell my story" thing. If you're observant you can suss out a shitload of story; unlike say Lost where people discovered the writers were literally just pulling it out of their asses and had no real plans so shallowness was mistaken for depth.

This is also really bad because it's hard to boil a lot of it down to explain the backstory within the confines of the comic. Stuff is significant to characters and you don't know why, but a comic isn't great for again, Tolkien-level asides explaining every little thing.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 28, 2013

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Word of god on zombies is they have limited sensation and a limited ability to feel pain. Duane can really only feel heat and pressure anymore, and he only hurts if his bones break. He doesn't like the sun, but he can handle it. So the stomp probably didn't bother Murkoph any since Murkoph is also dead.

Sette's really interesting, but we don't have enough knowledge to even guess correctly yet. External sources, but my speculation follows: There were once lions in Kasslyne, but they were wiped out by the Ssaelit. This is because Ssael, their mortal-ascended-to-godhood, was betrayed by his grandson to the Gefendurs, who fed him to lions. The Ssaelit eventually ended up taking the lion as one of their symbols, because it was post-death that Ssael really got going. Anyway, Sette's naturally sharp teeth, lion tail and big hair (actual author word is all Kasslynian lions had manes, not just the male ones) all point to some definite link with her and the lost lions. Her ability to interact barehanded with the khert (and fall into it) also point to a connection to pymary that nobody's figured out/noticed yet. Frummagen may know SOMETHING about her, since he clearly got ahold of her at some point and wasn't inclined to let her go, going so far as to adopt her.
Sette's teeth are filed; it's a separate story Cope indicates she'd like to tell one day. Now the tail and all of the pymary related stuff is still true.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Fun speculation stuff that probably isn't true: Go back and look at Duane when he was preaching; the face paint represents scars from being clawed by a lion because you know, his god was killed by lions.

Now look at Murk's face in his closeups.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bummer this was a two-page update ironically; the first page posted today was pretty :smith: but turned on its heel in the next one. Would've had a bit more impact if you had to wait a couple days to see it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, that's the guy Duane's corpse eviscerated when Sette tricked him into going into the hotel room.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wow, sucks to be Toma.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And that's probably Murk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Elka has been around a while; she may just actually get some characterization now!

SlothfulCobra posted:

:sigh: 'Nother page is up.

Dammit, Murkoph, this is a really good story where everyone has their own well-written motivations that interplay against eachother with a neat fantasy backdrop full of intricate details, and then you just have to show up being all creepy and wacky.
I'll give the guy another shot. Once everyone's stories converge we'll get to see if he fits in.

If he continues to gently caress up every scene he's in I'll just write him off; he'll be to Ashley Cope as Jar Jar Binks was to Lucas- the character the creator really liked that no one else did.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't, if that guy keeps showing up out of nowhere being a giant creepshow for no obvious reason I'm really going to give up on this. I mean for gently caress's sake, the comic hasn't been done with the previous storyline for a month and we're already back to the fetish bullshit.
Well, he's not back quite yet. This is just a setup to remind you that, "yes, Murkoph is breaking out of the Khert. He'll be back."

We'll see if he even does anything this chapter, and if he's actually an asset to the story when he comes back presumably without the need for an introduction.

I don't like him either since having bothered to read a lot of the stuff Ashley has written about him I find him a hell of a lot less original/interesting/fascinating than she does and I don't CARE if I'm "supposed to hate him", but I honestly don't think we've seen him in this version of her world enough to really determine if he's awful or not.