Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, I was iffy at first but I'm more than willing to give Ms. Cope the benefit of the doubt.

I've seen her posts on another forum and her comments re: Murkoph pretty much say outright that she's fully aware how repulsive he is (as if the art itself didn't confirm it - he might not be wearing a shirt but he's downright slimy with drool, it turns the stomach). I'm pretty sure she knows full well the right audience reaction to evoke with his character, and that it isn't "ooooh, Murkoph-sama~" no matter how much the usual hordes of mentally cracked fans might want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Unsounded has gotten into my brain. You know when you sometimes read a thing for too long and for a certain amount of time afterwards all of your thoughts sort of take on the style of whatever you read? The word "nawt" has danced through my skull way more often than it has any right to.

Avoiding Ashley's personal Formspring really is a good idea for enjoying the comic to its fullest. She gives away so much and does it so casually that it deflates a lot of the mystique around events, to say nothing of her numerous TMI responses (see: pretty much everything regarding Murkoph). On the other hand, Duane and Sette's in-character formsprings are both informative and hilarious.

Murkoph himself fits as an antagonist in the khert - between his indestructibility and his habit of warping from place to place, he comes off as a bad dream with skin on, which is appropriate for the nature of the place - but I dunno how well he'll carry on in the physical plane. Maybe he can start by getting some pants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, this latest page should make some people happy.

Looks like Murkoph's been stranded in the khert. No doubt he'll find another way out at some point, but the Naked Canni-rapist Power Hour is over for the time being.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Surely you mean "naught"?

I know that's the proper spelling of the word but that's not how it's used in the comic. I sort of like it, makes it sound coarser.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He already knows it's going to be one of those days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So this is basically going to be the Worst Day for Duane. He woke up from a dream where he got to watch his daughter die again, finds himself with an unconscious Sette and a dead half-eaten guy, knows that both are his fault, is about to engage in a zany cover-up to get out of the love hotel before the cleaners find the mess, and when he finally manages to limp out of there on his shattered leg, he's going to find out that he is, technically, in Cresce.

Man, it's been almost a year in real-time since he first went to sleep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eladank posted:

the smiley face in page 16 and the current page doesn't seem very murk like to me

Look at the windows at the very top of the most recent page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eladank posted:

look like he's wearing a cape to me.

He's buck-rear end naked, bro.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Madrox posted:

While I agree for the most part, what we've seen of the character in the comic is pretty repugnant. I haven't read any of the non-comic stuff, and from what I can tell Murkoph is an unrepentant murderer/rapist/pedophile.

Now, now, let's give the man some credit. He wanted to eat Sette, not molest her.

In any case, it looks like he's been shoved to the wayside again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

No he pretty much wanted to rape her. First thing he says to her after he gets loose and grabs her is a reference to taking her virginity.

No, it wasn't a euphemism. It was literal. He ate his own clothes, he tried to chomp off Sette's fingers, and then he took a bite out of her before Duane showed up again. Come on, man, try to understand the nuances present here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jackard posted:

Well it's obviously Duane now.

Maybe not. Duane killed the guy, but nothing else happened until Sette entered the scene. Sette does weird things to the khert for reasons that still aren't entirely clear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Benagain posted:

Rahm's officially my new favorite character now. "I'm old, cranky, I don't give a poo poo about anything except protecting reality/probably my wife, and I will explode your eyeballs for the hell of it."

To be fair, it's not like Matty would've missed them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

It's quite clear in my opinion she is the monster/perversion/thing not properly handled by the khert. She's the one who stayed inside the khert for a while, keeping it open all that time.

This page has gotten really relevant all of a sudden.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also the extremely likely possibility that he is not, in fact, her father.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

See my interpretation of that scene and a few earlier was that he kicked the poo poo out of her and banished her and the zombie (or something) and she concocted a convoluted narrative about her importence to him out of love.

That at least probably isn't the case. Sette's in-character Formspring has her talking about Nary a lot, and their relationship seems pretty complicated; Nary obviously doesn't care about her half as much as she thinks, but he's more than willing to educate her about how the Frummagems function and interacts with her a lot (like in the comic, Sette doesn't shut up with quotes from the guy). The man isn't some half-witted thug, despite the company he keeps, and he knows how useful someone like Sette can be in his corner.

At the same time, Sette clams up whenever the physical abuse is mentioned. Whatever the reason is for those scrawled-out panels, it'd probably explain why there's a clear note of desperation in Sette's desire to impress her dad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm wondering if she's Tirna and doesn't know it. Fits.

The lion tail hints at some connection with Ssael more than anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

The scene on the left is pretty obvious, but what's being crossed out in the very center? I can make out an arm...?

I, uh, don't think that's an arm.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Takezio posted:

Huh, he didn't go batshit crazy THIS week, kudos to him. So, next page? Maaaaaybe Wednesday?

Duane's not really the type for crazy-rage. He has a moment of anger, dismembers a guy, punches a politician, then he cools off again. He's had time to stew on this, so I doubt he'll really fly off the handle during the whole exchange, especially because Sette doesn't seem eager to share what she saw in the khert/Alderode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And just like that, I'm wrong on every particular. How embarrassing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Takezio posted:

NOTHING GOOD APPARENTLY

:catstare:

setteshutupshutup

No, no, keep driving in the knife. Let's see if she can properly summarize what a regressive hellhole Alderode is before Duane unscrews her head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So is there someone I can yell at to make more updates happen because the idea that this is all we get for the week is giving me the shakes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Practical instruction in anatomy for all the kids.

Any bets on the chances of Cresce actually being involved in this at all?

Those "Crescian" assassins were using Aldish slurs and whacked Duane right after he broke Bodie's nose, so it is a little on the doubtful side.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Well I imagine one part of it is alderode is the only place his religion isn't illegal. That would probably cloud one's judgement.

I doubt it helps that one of the tenets of Ssaelism is that only the Aldish can become Ssaelit (and all non-Ssaelit are heathen infidels who should probably just die so they can hustle along reincarnation towards being reborn as Aldish).

Cresce is a bunch of imperialistic, unempathetic dickwads, but even with that in mind Alderode still comes out looking like North Korea with wizards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

In human years or in whatever she is years?

She must have grown up at a more or less regular pace or the Frummagems would've got to talking. More than usual, I mean.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm kinda annoyed she's still enough of a poo poo that she's still manipulating Duane. The gently caress needs to happen to her to properly get empathy?

She's not manipulating him anymore, she's straight-up asking for his help. All her cards are out now - they're in Cresce, Stockyard's wise to her, and she's got to wrap up this job with or without him. The only leverage she has left over Duane is Winalils' talisman, which probably won't help if Knock comes knockin' by sunset.

Hell, her dyspepsia line straight-up says that she is getting empathy and it's pissing her off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Today's page gave me the impression she was using her new knowledge of his past to manipulate him and she was annoyed that she felt guilty about doing it, hence her cursing the gods/her dad about it. She's still manipulating him; she just actually feels bad about it now.

Then it's the wrong impression. She feels bad about caring for Duane in any capacity at all. Even all the way back in the khert she made it clear that she never wanted to know his past.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone else think Matty's glamour sort of resembles a hypothetical child of Rahm and his amazing wife?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like how Mathias doesn't even question why his son is black now. "Eh, probably just a phase."

Yes I know that wrights can probably notice the glamour but this is funnier

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sharteshanians in the last strip, now this. For being so all-inclusive, Crescians are pretty loving racist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

You're all misspelling Duane.

Duane is a murdering hypocrite who is at least trying to improve himself, despite a spectacularly bad upbringing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dias posted:

Matty makes Uatu eat people for conflict resolution. Also bad.

Uaid, and it wasn't Matty's fault! Uaid just thinks he can solve every problem by eating it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dias posted:

I was being facetious, dude. Unsounded is good at making most people different shades of grey (or in some cases, different shades of disgusting tar-black). Matty's cool tho. Uaid too. Uaid might be the least racist character, to be fair, he eats people of all races equally.

Uaid's actually anti-Semitic. Spoilers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did these guys show up before? I can't remember them at all.

Very beginning of the chapter.

Also Elka's gonna get shanked if she doesn't stop gloating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Seems pretty clear now why agony-infused first silver (I think that was what they stuffed inside the kidnap victim?) isn't something you want smuggled into your country if you can in any way help it.

They stuffed first silver into the victims. It became agony-infused later, for obvious reasons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sette's going for a world record of how many times a person can be stone-cold busted in a single morning.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gally posted:

We're not really sure what it is, but it is something that allows Sette to control nighttime Duane. If he learns of it he'll be even more pissed off I imagine.

It was also given to her by Bastion "Death Is The Gods' Crime" Winalils, who most likely had a hand in Duane's resurrection. Phylactery sounds like a pretty solid theory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Duane's new face is already earning its keep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Good heavens, how scandalous.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

It also wouldn't surprise me if all the employees at the Deadly Nevergreen are brainwashed/hypnotized to some degree

Except for Knock-Me-Down, who's merely high as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sette is going to burn that place to the ground. That laugh signed their death warrant.

Business is business.

If the way Anadyne reacted to Sette at the docks was any indication, Stockyard's known she was coming for a while and has his own plans for her. I guess we'll find out how many ways you can booby-trap a brothel.