Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Got my first fountain pen, a metro. I am handwriting a novel and wanted to try a FP. But I write in super cheap composition notebooks and it bleeds through really bad. I already ordered some Noodler black, but I'm not sure if it'll fix the issue. I don't want/can't afford to spend much on notebooks. $10/100pp would be okay, but nothing more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, x-feather, not black. Oops. I'll have to send the black back when it arrives tomorrow. Thanks guys!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

dino. posted:

A fine nib will also prevent bleeding. If you're not married to a notebook, buying 28 lb paper will do the trick. Peep the first review on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002U381U6

Yeah, it actually is a fine nib. That's just how absorbent my GTC composition books are.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks, everyone. I have some good suggestions to look at. I'm going to go out and hopefully find something today, since I finished my old notebook (with a rollerball pen) last night. I'm just a picky guy, too. I don't like wirebound notebooks because I have a hard time writing on the left side where my hand starts to run up against the wire. I don't get how people do that.

edit: Mission accomplished! Thanks for the Staples tip. I didn't like the specific one recommended because of the spiral, but they have these 1-subject wireless notebooks, college ruled, 80 sheets 8.5x11, $1.50. No bleed through, very minimal see-through. I bought ten for writing and for school.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 6, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Edit: nevermind. Learned how to Google

edit 2: Noodler's black has even less show through on the Staples notebooks than the default Pilot cartridge! AND, it actually works in my lovely comp book that I've been taking some notes in. It shows through, but not that bad.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 8, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys in this thread got me into FPs and I got a pilot metro with a bottle of noodler. Unfortunately my college classrooms have tiny desks and I have dropped my pen several times, it now leaks from the nib. What do I do?

Part of me wants to get a new FP. The metro always felt a little uncomfortable because I hold it right where the body turns into the tip, and I like the idea of a FP with a softer body, too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Dropping might have just caused ink to flow out to the nib sharply, have you tried emptying and rinsing before re-inking?

Nope, I will do so! In fact I have forgotten to rinse despite filling it maybe 10 times since the last rinse.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I rinsed it out until all the water was clear then wrote on a paper towel until it was dry. Dried everything else out. Still leaks when I shake it and when I write it gets all over my fingers. I think I busted it.

When you press gently on the metal part (of the nib), is it supposed to separate from the plastic black part easily? Mine is pretty bendy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

Have you got a picture?

Do they all leak if you shake them? Mine does, and so a lot ends up in the cap. Then when I put the cap on the end of my pen, it ends up on the end. Then all over my hands.

Plus it's just never been that comfortable for me. The Lamy Safari looks a lot more ergonomic.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 2, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

Push the feed (the black plastic part) and the nib back in to the pen with your fingers.

From your pictures it looks very much like they've been knocked out a little, which would account for the leaks and your ability to pull the nib so far up.

Wow. Thank you, grack. It clicked several mm back into there. The shaking leak problem still exists though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

If you're going to go with Lamy, realize that their nib sizes are bigger than the equivalent in Pilots. You'd want an F or XF, the M would be way too wide for you. My Vista with an M nib was also scratchier than my Metro with an M nib, for what that's worth.

No. The metro is generally smoother and slightly less expensive than the Safari/Vista while also coming with all the accouterments one needs to get started, but if you prefer the look and feel of the Safari then go nuts. I really liked the triangular grip and the ability to swap out nibs easily (and buy them seperately), but at the same time I also prefer the Metro's weight from being all metal and the F nib I yanked out of a Kakuno is a perfect writer for my office work as well as just being bright and cheery. :)

A lot of the bullshit with pens is finding something that fits your preferences, and the Metro is an affordable starting point, but so is the Safari. I'd recommend a beginner getting both and comparing them after getting used to using them.

Plus the safari has an ink window (right?) which is great for people who write away from home and don't want to carry an ink bottle around with them! I hate running out of ink while I'm in class.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My girlfriend got me a great Lamy Safari and I like the body much more than my Pilot Metro. But I like the metro's nib better (and the cartridge converter). Can I pull both the nib and the converter out of the metro and shove them in the Lamy?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

No, they're not interchangeable.

Thanks. I'll order a finer lamy nib and a converter.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lord Girlyman posted:

Unlike getting a fine/extra-fine Lamy nib, it is likely that the kakuno will actually be usable.

what does this mean? Sounds like you're saying that a fine Lamy isn't good, but looking online at reviews that say otherwise.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh... well I want to use the Lamy she got me. I have never liked the body on my Metro. The Lamy feels great. Medium is just too thick for me, though. I like writing small letters. Once I get my converter in the mail I'll fill it up with my noodler's ink but I doubt that'll make a difference in the weight of the lines.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 18, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

As great as Noodler ink is, the bottle shape makes it really hard to refill my ink cartridge thingy because I have to hold it one hand and use the other hand to twist the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

They make this thing that goes in the bottle and holds ink near the opening. Never tried it, though.