Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Uniball is king of common pens. Signo 207s and Jetstream RTs are pretty much the only non-fountain pens that I use. Jetstreams & Field Notes Expedition notebooks in particular are a lovely writing combo. (If you haven't tried synthetic paper yet you're missing out.)

Tul's gel pens are pretty good too, although a bit overpriced for what they are imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Ugh if I had that ink in my life I would write All The Things. I hope I can snag a bottle when Goulet restocks, insha'allah.

Mikl posted:

I actually forgot to post in this thread. I ended up ordering a Pilot Prera F, a converter and some ink off the Amazon Marketplace. The converter and the ink have arrived, the pen not yet but it should be a matter of days.

Really looking forward to start using a fountain pen that doesn't literally cost 2€.

Prera is a solid pen. I have one with a 1.1 stub nib, filled with Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, and it writes like a dream. Ink capacity is a bit wanting but such is the life of a converter fill.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've had an M200 (which is essentially the same as the M205 I believe, just with gold plated trim instead of silver) with a cursive italic Richard Binder nib for poo poo I think probably a decade now and it's still one of my favorite pens. I had a Lamy 2000 for a while and hated it. I have a TWSBI Mini and it's fairly comparable to the M200 in terms of performance, but I like the M200 better aesthetically.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Or hell why not get a Pilot/Namiki Falcon?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Welsper posted:

Less capacity than a C74 or L2000.

Also, the Vanishing Point.

But semi-flex!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Oops I went and spent over $400 on pens and ink yesterday.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

atholbrose posted:

Now you can't say that and not tell us what you got...

Oh right.

Gunmetal gray/matte black Vanishing Point, F
Black/rhodium Falcon, SF
Couple of Konrads to dick around with
Bottle of Rouge Hematite
Five bottles of Iroshizuku: yama-budo, yu-yake, shin-ryoku, ina-ho and chiku-rin

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I've had pretty good luck with the standard Rhodia pads, but yeah the webnotebooks with Clairefontaine paper can be too smooth for fountain pens. e: inasmuch as the drying time for anything that writes even remotely wet is too long for a notebook that you generally use for quick notes.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 13, 2014

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Always Be Purchasing

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol as if "need" is part of the vocabulary here

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
New massdrop deals:

Pilot Falcon for $105 (as per usual, add a bottle of Iroshizuku for $20)

One bottle each of Iroshizuku, Edelstein and 1670 inks for $65 (no Stormy Grey, unfortunately)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
They're all soft.

I'm kinda tempted to buy another one at that price, even though I haven't even gotten my first one yet from Amazon.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, cheers. I was afraid they came in two "softness levels" and I had missed out on the S.

/edit: Just a few more questions then: I'm guessing massdrop is trustworthy, considering I've seen a few previous deals in here, right?
Any idea how long are shipping times after the items are sent?

Aaaaaaaaaand finally... gold or rhodium? :v:

Never ordered from massdrop but I've never read anything about it not being legit. According to their FAQ, shipping should be 3-5 days.

Gold vs rhodium plated gold is purely aesthetic preference to my knowledge. Although for some reason SEF is only available in rhodium.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Not yet. I ordered it Sunday from Amazon, hasn't even shipped out yet. Just as well, I'm out of town on business all week anyways.

From what I gather from various reviews, SEF gives the most line width variation (as one would expect) but not as smooth of a writing experience. Which is fine if you mostly want the pen for decorative writing, but if you plan to use it as a regular writer then SF or larger is better.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Bah what happened to a late October restock?

:negative: :negative: :negative:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
:negative:

Anderson had Stormy Grey in stock for all of about 30 seconds. In stock when I added it to my cart, out of stock by the time I hit Purchase.

:negative:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Brightman posted:

I think this said it was estimated to ship November 14th :(

November 4th.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

We were talking about the Pilot Falcon.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Falcon came in the other day but I've been sick all week, finally got a chance today to play around with it a bit. Pretty decent line variation on the SF nib, will be curious how much of a difference I'll see on the SEF I ordered on Massdrop. Ink is Iroshizuku Ina-Ho (lovely lighting really undersells the subtlety of the color). Really looking forward to the day when my handwriting is better/more consistent.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
See now if you were like the rest of us and had a glut of pens this wouldn't be a problem. :D

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Prera is a vastly underrated pen imo, mine writes incredibly smoothly as well. No hard starts, no skipping, nada.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Weird. Mine fits very snugly.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
2nd edition of the Seven Seas Writer is finally available.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Edmond Dantes posted:

I googled around a bit (not too in-depth, I admit) and didn't find them to buy, any of you guys have a link to them?

Aqui

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Massdrop posted:

The vendor let us know that the extra fine nib in black/rhodium is completely unavailable at the moment and that they will not be getting stock replenished until spring next year.

fuuuuuuuuuck

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ahhhhhh finally. Thought I'd never snag a bottle with how quickly everyone else has been selling out of their few and far between restocks. Only bummer is I'm out of the country until the 22nd, but at least I'll have something nice waiting for me when I get home. :unsmith:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

howe_sam posted:

Also, Jesus the capacity of the Con-50 is tiny. I feel like I have to refill my Falcon daily.

Only disappointing aspect of the pen. Been doing a lot of international travel lately and it's fully enlightened me to the limitations of the CON-50. Last trans-Atlantic flight I made I started out with a full fill and was bone dry halfway through the flight.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I've had virtually zero problems with leakage during flights. I always put my pens in a plastic baggie just in case, but so far so bueno. And for that matter, I've used several different pens during flights and also not had a problem. Didn't even matter if they were full or not before going up.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I have a bottle of kiri-same that I've been using in a CP1, looks pretty much like pencil.

howe_sam posted:

I just learned that you can screw a Falcon nib/section unit into a Metro body, but you can't put the cap on. Also, the soft broad falcon nib really brings out the shading in EL Lawrence.

Ha, just bought a bottle of that today. Also have a second Falcon on its way that I was planning on filling with the El Lawrence.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Bah goddammit, so way back when massdrop did the Falcon drop I ordered an SEF. That ended up not being available so I said ok I'll take an SM instead. Finally shipped out last week and I came home from a business trip today to find that they'd shipped me a vanishing point. :argh:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
would be cool i suppose if they just said hey keep the VP for your trouble and we'll get that Falcon on it's way

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You can always refill an empty cartridge with a syringe.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I just picked up a bottle of Verdigris a few weeks back and I love it. I've also been using Alt-Goldgrün for a few months and it's by far my favorite ink, the shading is amazing. Rohrer & Klingner is underrated as hell.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Using a fountain pen for technical drawing is kind of like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. You're way better off with something specifically suited for the purpose - Copic, Sakura, Prismacolor, Staedtler, Marvy, Rotring, etc. all make excellent technical pens.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Titus Sardonicus posted:

If you need ink, Massdrop has your choice of 3 Rohrer & Klingner 50mL bottles for $19.99 plus shipping. I'd jump on it but I think I'm well stocked-up for now.

I was all excited when I saw this in my email but then I went to join and they were already out of Alt-Goldgrun :mad:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
My order isn't scheduled to be delivered until Friday. UPS Surepost is the loving worst.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It just looks like paper fibers to me.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah M200 is a solid pen. I've had mine for probably at least a decade now and it's still one of my favorite pens.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Lessons in why not to be a bit of a slob: finally got around to cleaning out all the poo poo I had crammed behind the seats in my work truck, found the Vanishing Point that I thought I lost like six months ago in the breast pocket of one of my work shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I would think an art supply store would be your best bet. There's one here in Denver that has a fairly decent assortment of Noodler's and some other brands.