Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

System Metternich posted:

"berlin" - "munich" - "hamburg" - "cologne" (i.e. Germany's four largest cities)

lmao Baden-Württemberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think most stereotypes of victorian prudishness are vastly exaggerated.

The queen had 9 kids. I think she was okay with sex.

Ironically people can prudish but also gently caress like bunnies.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

elbkaida posted:

lmao Baden-Württemberg
It's beautiful.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Russian Civil War maps

https://twitter.com/jesse_history/status/1279021892075245568

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think most stereotypes of victorian prudishness are vastly exaggerated.

The queen had 9 kids. I think she was okay with sex.

It really doesn't take a lot of loving to make a bunch of kids when nobody is using birth control.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Naked table legs being scandalous was a Victorian joke about how those religious nut Americans were a bunch of puritan prudes who were afraid of phallic table legs

Or so I've heard.

Right. The story comes from Frances Trollope's "Domestic Manners of the Americans", which is a travellogue of her trip to the US. She apparently hated it, because the book is savage as hell, but all really funny. It's basically "America is full of evangelical prudes, slaveowners, people who spit tobacco everywhere, and provincial hicks who think they're sophisticated. She ends it like this:

quote:

A single word indicative of doubt, that any thing, or every thing, in that country is not the very best in the world, produces an effect which must be seen and felt to be understood. If the citizens of the United States were indeed the devoted patriots they call themselves, they would surely not thus encrust themselves in the hard, dry, stubborn persuasion, that they are the first and best of the human race, that nothing is to be learnt, but what they are able to teach, and that nothing is worth having, which they do not possess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Holy poo poo

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Source: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/tradfa_e/tfa_factsheet2017_e.pdf

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

That is both a horrendously ugly map — use a real drawing program like Illustrator and not MS Paint for christ's sake WTO — and the color scheme is incompetent. "Yes, dark blue, orange, light blue, red, teal, this is a good spectrum of colors."

That really makes me trust their analysis if they can't even color a map correctly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Also what the hell is going on with France and Britain there.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm "No data" Black and Caspian sea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd be more worried if they had data. :cthulhu:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Private Speech posted:

100% reduction in trade costs from being obliterated by an asteroid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/CityLab/status/1360947860292964356

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/JohnnyParker012/status/1360931740274032640

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The funny thing is that the warning criteria for places like Houston is 2" or so of snow.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I feel like this map is too clever for its own good and conveys less information than, say, a map of the geometric center of each zipcode, which is more or less density.jpg.

Unless for some reason you didn’t know that they ended at state borders or something.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Private Speech posted:

They dropped their guard and forgot to add "France", which is not a real country.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

King Hong Kong posted:

I feel like this map is too clever for its own good and conveys less information than, say, a map of the geometric center of each zipcode, which is more or less density.jpg.

Unless for some reason you didn’t know that they ended at state borders or something.

It does nicely show the "regional boundaries" within each state where they deliberately kept the numbers close together. You wouldn't get that on a dot map that doesn't show the numerical ordering at all.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

King Hong Kong posted:

there are a handful of multi-state zipcodes, for instance for island communities in one state that are serviced by ferries from another state, or military bases that are mostly in one state but have an entrance in another state etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some of these maps make zero sense.

For instance why is this all disconnected bits?

Some actual maps of Dutch postcodes:

First two numbers:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

nothing loads my politics more than a map with a complex color-coding system and no key!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Powered Descent posted:

It does nicely show the "regional boundaries" within each state where they deliberately kept the numbers close together. You wouldn't get that on a dot map that doesn't show the numerical ordering at all.

Yeah, that’s a good point. I was looking at CA, OR, WA, and so on where the clustering is more or less a function of where settlements exist and are divided by mountains and deserts so it isn’t as obvious.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

galagazombie posted:

Seeing how hopeless the E.U has been at getting Europe to work together, I wonder how the hell the US managed to get 13 essentially independent countries to give up far more sovereignty than the EU has ever asked of it's members.

the constant threat of being reinvaded by the biggest naval power in the world. Similar to why Central America united together after seceding from Mexico then quickly disintegrated when Mexico showed no interest in reconquering them.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the constant threat of being reinvaded by the biggest naval power in the world. Similar to why Central America united together after seceding from Mexico then quickly disintegrated when Mexico showed no interest in reconquering them.

Given how the isthmus is split by a mountain range that made travelling between the Caribbean and Pacific coasts a major pain, its actually quite curious that the region didn't end up in a Chile/Argentina-style configuration.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Given how the isthmus is split by a mountain range that made travelling between the Caribbean and Pacific coasts a major pain, its actually quite curious that the region didn't end up in a Chile/Argentina-style configuration.

I thought you were talking about the US itself there for a moment. An interesting thought on its own.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rule of law? Scandinavia: No.

(I'm the mixed indigenous and Napoleonic systems being 'civil' in Europe and mixed civil and customary in Africa.)

(I'm also the Jewish law of the sea.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This site is keeping track of power outages across the US and if you click a state, it'll show you a county breakdown.

https://poweroutage.us/area/regions

Something interesting is that if you click in through Texas, you'll see that El Paso and the panhandle are doing much better because they're not actually on the Texas power grid.

People theorize a lot about how social differences would separate areas if there was an apocalypse, but I don't think many people consider how a lot of areas are split apart by their infrastructure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I don't quite understand the coloration—so we have sky blue, such as France, which is "pure" civil law, and with a flavor often mentioned, such as Napoleonic. (Also "Chilean law", is that an actual common term? I guess I could Google it.) You then have teal Tunisia, which means it's a mix of Sharia and civil law, and that Civil Law has a Napoleonic flavor, whereas Morocco and Algeria are a mix of Sharia and civil law, and the civil law has both Napoleonic and Sharia elements? Why does Tunisia not get the "P" modifier, when it has Islamic law applying to it in e.g. issues of inheritance?

Not trying to nitpick the map, just trying to understand it, perhaps there are some mistakes. Why does Mali not get an "N" for it? Does the person making the map think it's a mix of customary and civil law (i.e. light blue) but they don't know what "flavor" the civil law has?

Also wait what, it shows the Vatican City law as... Napoleonic civil law? That doesn't seem very accurate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Vatican_City

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 15, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am not sure who decided to enlarge Europe and place it much closer to the US and Canada, but I think I am in favor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Minenfeld! posted:

The funny thing is that the warning criteria for places like Houston is 2" or so of snow.

The west and panhandle genuinely does look like Canada right now, although likely all the snow will be gone before the weekend.

dwarf74 posted:

I am not sure who decided to enlarge Europe and place it much closer to the US and Canada, but I think I am in favor.
And Iceland is ideally placed to benefit from global warming

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And Iceland is ideally placed to benefit from global warming
Aside from the whole thing with being by far the greatest beneficiary of the Gulf Stream, which currently makes Reykjavik 4 degrees Celsius warmer than it would otherwise be, and that growing weaker as temperatures rise. Assuming that continues to hold true, I think the only option for getting warmer is catastrophic levels of heating (which won't really benefit Iceland in any sense but relative) or the Northern Hemisphere shifting into a climate regime where air flows straight from the Equator to the North Pole and just makes a nice weak temperature gradient. In which case I think others might benefit more, like the countries of the Sahel.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

dwarf74 posted:

I'm personally interested by Thicc Labrador

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm personally interested by Thicc Labrador

Morally Inept re-reg alert

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 16, 2021

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/notbenfish/status/1361501244259500035

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Power outage in Texas.
The blue areas are (mostly) not part of ERCOT (the independent Texas power grid), but part of the Western and Eastern Interconnections.
Blue is 0% outage.
Source: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas]

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 16, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lubbock is in the blue area up north but desperately wants to be under the red waves.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DTurtle posted:

Power outage in Texas.
The blue areas are (mostly) not part of ERCOT (the independent Texas power grid), but part of the Western and Eastern Interconnections.
Blue is 0% outage.
Source: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas]

That's a lot of customers affected, I hope you guys are ok :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have goon friends from San Antonio. It's a collapse. The state was completely unprepared for the cold wave, and homeless people are freezing to death.

As much as I dislike US and wouldn't mind a few well targeted meteors dropping on it, the people hit hardest by this are the ones who did me no harm, and I'm furious at how much they've been failed by their countrymen. And there's a... special kind of disgust I feel for Yanks who are gloating about this tragedy. hurrrr, republican stronghold, as if a dirt poor black dude who died yesterday had the power to change anything.