Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I think nowadays tweaking RetroArch would be much less painful than trying to shoehorn roms into Kodi directly

I was actually going to try and set up SteamOS running Kodi + RetroArch + Dolphin this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did anyone try this? I mean, it sounds like a good idea, but so do a lot of things that turn out impractical. Would love to not be a guinea pig if possible.

There was a big steamOS update a month or two ago which broke the build process for Kodi and other things. There's a guy who has a recipe to compile it locally but for now I just installed Ubuntu with the regular Steam client. That's probably the way to go right now if you're not keen on mucking around. Ubuntu is close to Just Works territory and you can set it to boot straight to big picture.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I picked up the Harmony Hub + Keyboard set last week. And it's great at managing not only standard IR stuff, but also wacky bluetooth stuff like PS3/4 and Wii U. I have one of its USB dongles on my Kodi HTPC and the keyboard works great (along with the virtual keyboard/mouse on the phone). The missing piece is figuring out an easy way to add media remote type stuff for the PC on the app instead of using the virtual keyboard. I'd like to think it's doable I just haven't delved into it yet.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Slowhanded posted:

You mean like play/pause/volume? Use something like AutoHotKey to trigger the events, and map the hotkeys to spare keys on your remote for that activity.

I'm not using a physical remote anymore (well aside from the actual keyboard+trackpad that came with it), I'm using the Harmony phone app to issue commands. Right now when I'm in my Watch PC activity I only have virtual keyboard+mouse input available, it's not set up in Harmony as a media device.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Since a bunch of people seem to have one ITT, how well does the Shield TV (or is there a more powerful Android box out there?) run Dolphin? And is there a Steam streaming -> Android solution yet?

Considering reshuffling some components around essentially moving my HTPC into a NAS role, but I still need some kind of box to run Kodi + emulators, and ideally Steam stream.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lowen SoDium posted:

Don't know about Dolphin, but if you have an Nvidia video card, you can stream using Nvidia Gamestream or Moonlight. Both work great.

Yeah, I knew about that. I don't buy nvidia cards though.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

I doubt it's going to stagnate, since their other video player devs wrote patches explicitly to support Android. The main issue, as best as I can tell, is that their core devs want to treat Android as an equal to the other platforms (i.e. you're not allowed to land a feature that only works on Android), whereas the dev who quit wanted to be able to land support for Android features as fast as possible.

Yeah, I would not worry about Android support. The Kodi team does a good job of keeping all the platforms in step with each other. The thing this shitfit is over is the same thing that keeps the android build in parity with the bigger brothers.

Of course that thread is full of Android users who'd rather see the project burn to the ground than anything interfere with their builds.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm a fan of the Harmony Hub. Use whatever phone/tablet/physical harmony remote to talk to almost anything over IR/Bluetooth/wireless USB receiver.

It works well us because we constantly misplaced remotes but always have some sort of device on us. Not to mention the scripting to turn on everything at once and on the right inputs.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My Shield came last night.

The controller shipped with just enough charge to flicker rapidly on and off and not let me actually do anything. And if you plug it in before booting up it displays a big message to not do that? Plugging it in after start up sort of worked. It still had a real hard time connecting to the controller even wired. I did eventually manage to arrow over and do the software update.

Thankfully, after the update and some charge in the controller it works pretty well. The UI is surprisingly nice at least at the surface level. Harmony Hub paired nicely. I'm not sure about the app store on it though, is it only Android TV approved apps? Wanted to get NPR One but it wasn't coming up in search. I installed Kodi but I don't have my Emby library set up on my new NAS yet so I really couldn't tear into it. The Giant Bomb add-on still works so there's that. I'll have to try the Not Mad Guy's Kodi fork if that integrates better with the TV dashboard.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

IUG posted:

Yeah I don't want to bother with transcoding. I just would be using Emby if it can take downloads and sort them into folder structures and file names I like. That's entirely why I use Sickbeard. I just use Kodi to play the files, and I only download 720 files to keep the stress low on the network, and the file sizes down.

Emby isn't really a replacement for sickbeard. It's a centralized library/server that sickbeard/sonarr/whatever can feed files in to. It saves you from having to set up libraries and dealing with fileshares on each device you stream to, you just point Kodi with the add-on or an Emby app at the server and it goes. It only transcodes if the device can't handle what you're feeding it or the network is real bad, but I believe you can turn it off entirely.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The Shield boots fast and I had it set up with Netflix, Kodi, and Retroarch within 5 minutes.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Shield w/ 2 Controllers is currently $149 for Prime Day

https://smile.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHI...keywords=shield

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Having a FreeNAS set up with Emby, Sonarr, CouchPotato, and Transmission all talking to each other and mostly Just Working is kind of insane and good

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Not sure where best to ask this, but I figure folks following this thread will have some insight. If there's a better place for this please let me know.

I'm getting ready to rip my DVD collection to my NAS (w/Emby), so I can just pack the discs away and reclaim some shelf space. My question is if it's crazy or not to use x265 right now. Everything I try to look up on it says "No don't use it yet", but they're also from 2013.

I've been running some test encodes with Handbrake Nightly that have been pretty encouraging. Like straight up 50% smaller for at least the same quality. Space isn't a huge concern, but that big of an improvement is hard to ignore.

Obviously, decoding support is a concern, but my main target is a Shield TV which should have native support. On my computers I use Emby web clients (FF/Chrome), which looks like will require transcoding for now, and XBMC which I'm sure will be fine. And once in a blue moon I'll watch something on iOS, which I'm not sure if they can direct play or not.

I've got a Xeon E3-1245 V5 in the NAS, so I figure transcoding one or two streams wouldn't be much of an issue, especially this SD stuff.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What's the presumed business reason for Amazon restricting Prime video to just their stuff? Is it really just to prop up their stuff in the extremely lucrative android device business?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Minty Swagger posted:

I'm hyped if they bring the steam app to the old models, I jump between it and my steam link all the time and if I can consolidate that's just icing on the cake!

Are they actually bringing Steam in-home streaming to Shield TV/Android? I can't find anything else on this.

That and Amazon Prime were the only two things I wished it could also do, so if that's the case I'll be set I guess.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

stevewm posted:

You can already do it if you have a Nvidia video card and GeForce Experience installed on your gaming PC. Launch Steam via the GameStreaming option on the ShieldTV and it will load in Big Picture mode, just like Steam's native streaming does.

Yeah, I know about GameStream but I strongly prefer something vendor neutral because I'm going back to a Radeon card as soon as their next high end stuff comes out.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does it come with the Prime app baked in? I wonder when that will get pushed out. I just checked the App Store and for system updates.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
So you know how TheTVDB has listings for special features and stuff, is there an equivalent for movie extras? I use Emby for the server and can throw stuff in an extras folder along with the movie. But I never really know what to name the files, it's either make something up or boot up the actual menu. Either way is time consuming and I'd rather just reference the work of someone even more anal that I

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Bonzo posted:

This is how I connect my Harmony 650 to my Shield. I didn't even have to configure it, just added it as a device in the Harmony software and it was all good.

Also note that Shield supports 4k so its something that will be around for a few years.

Is that a Nu Shield without the IR, or does the flirc give you more commands?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I guess this is the closest thing to a Android/Shield TV thread.. if anyone else is as displeased as I am (and apparently lots of others) with the new youtube app you can roll it back in the system settings.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

This might just bring me back to Kodi from just using the Emby app directly.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Are you trying to run the Plex server on the Shield itself or something?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

LRADIKAL posted:

Anything I need to keep in mind for this thing? Software to install? Common mistakes? Is there a recommended guide? Can I do the steam link thing or do I need to use the Nvidia tech?

Leave your hacks and config files at the door, friend. It's going to be alright.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I mean I wouldn't pay the month to month price but the lifetime pass is a steal, even after it went up.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I use one of those little palm sized keyboard+trackpad deals with it. It has bluetooth but I use its little usb dongle. That way I don't have to use bluetooth or let google listen to me

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Photex posted:

jellyfin is for more Emby/Plex.

Remote access, easier library management on multiple platforms, those kinds of things.

Yeah, it's literally a community fork of Emby, from when that went less FOSS

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The shield's hardware is still plenty good despite pushing 5+ years old. It's the software updates to have ads take up the majority of the home screen, make it harder to get to launch stuff you actually want, and add even more prompts to let google listen to everything you do that is making it harder to recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, I've heard about Wolf Launcher and it would address the most annoying of it. Need to get off my duff some evening and get it set up on each of my shields. I just don't love the direction things are going in, even knowing this was probably all a matter of time buying into something Google. I guess it's been a blessing it was as friendly as it was for as long as it was.