Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Narsil was made by the Dwarves in the First Age but was reforged by the Elves in the the Third Age to become Anduril would Anduril be counted as an Elvish blade? Would it glow blue? Or would it still be considered dwarvish in its original construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And what if that reforging had been ordered by King Theseus of Athens?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its like 4-5 minor parts that suck and the rest is the best adaptation we are ever going to get because it was a labor of love for a bunch of those involved.

The LOTR tv show is exactly the kind of soulless crap we are going to get where a few people knew the material and were overshadowed by idiots. Like yeah it's dope that the Dragon Helm of Dor-Lomin shows up or a sweet intro that is a reference to the Music, but those people clearly were not allowed in the writer's room.

Care Levels don't really explain why the finished product of these massive undertakings end up good or bad. I'm sure like any film project some of the cast & crew were already fans of the source material, some found it a real grind but gave extra 110%, some found it easy and fun, for some it was just another job, etc.

Is JD Payne not a true fan like PJ? It's possible but seems unlikely. Much more likely is he's just not as good of a filmmaker.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arc Hammer posted:

If Narsil was made by the Dwarves in the First Age but was reforged by the Elves in the the Third Age to become Anduril would Anduril be counted as an Elvish blade? Would it glow blue? Or would it still be considered dwarvish in its original construction.

Anduril shines white when drawn, in a manner that is frequently compared to flame. The way it’s talked about leaves it somewhat ambiguous whether there is anything supernatural about that.

It never had inbuilt orc sensor though. Sting and Glamdring are specifically mentioned to light up in Moria, Anduril isn’t.

quote:

No gleam came from the blades of Sting or of Glamdring; and that was some comfort, for being the work of Elvish smiths in the Elder Days these swords shone with a cold light, if any Orcs were near at hand.

Implies elves these days can’t do the trick.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
When Elrond explains the origin of Orcrist, Glamdring, and the dagger that would eventually be called Sting, he says "they were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars." I think the nature of the blades was somewhat tied to the circumstances of their forging, and they were animated by the more immediate, active wartime animosity towards goblins specifically, whereas Anduril was (re)forged by peacetime elves in anticipation for a war that they would not be participating in against not just goblins but humans as well. Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer and blades of their ilk embodied the righteous anger and vengeance of the elves, and their blue glow is their thirst for the blood of their enemy. It's not just like a generic elf thing. Anduril, on the other hand, is not an angry blade that thirsts for vengeance, it is a blade of leadership, representing the hope for the reestablishment of the noble kingdoms of humankind, so it gleams like a beacon to guide its people.

At least, that's how I see it. There's a lot of room for interpretation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blood Boils posted:

Care Levels don't really explain why the finished product of these massive undertakings end up good or bad. I'm sure like any film project some of the cast & crew were already fans of the source material, some found it a real grind but gave extra 110%, some found it easy and fun, for some it was just another job, etc.

Is JD Payne not a true fan like PJ? It's possible but seems unlikely. Much more likely is he's just not as good of a filmmaker.

Peter Jackson couldn't have made a silmarillion TV show as good as the LotR films either. There's a reason the Lord of the Rings books have sold hundreds of millions of copies and from what I've read the Silmarillion has sold about a million. It's an appendix and a bunch of loose notes. It was never going to be a great show no matter who made it. Not even if they grew a cloned JRR in a vat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Correct.

Although are good stories in the sil. Maybe not good tv stories. They did not do those tho

Did season 2 get canceled ?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They don't have rights to the Silmarillion, it's based on the LotR appendices.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I believe Amazon's contract with th3 tolkien estate requires multiple seasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No it's apparently going ahead but might be stalled at the moment thanks to the WGA strike.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

When Elrond explains the origin of Orcrist, Glamdring, and the dagger that would eventually be called Sting, he says "they were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars." I think the nature of the blades was somewhat tied to the circumstances of their forging, and they were animated by the more immediate, active wartime animosity towards goblins specifically, whereas Anduril was (re)forged by peacetime elves in anticipation for a war that they would not be participating in against not just goblins but humans as well. Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer and blades of their ilk embodied the righteous anger and vengeance of the elves, and their blue glow is their thirst for the blood of their enemy. It's not just like a generic elf thing. Anduril, on the other hand, is not an angry blade that thirsts for vengeance, it is a blade of leadership, representing the hope for the reestablishment of the noble kingdoms of humankind, so it gleams like a beacon to guide its people.

At least, that's how I see it. There's a lot of room for interpretation.

Yeah I think that’s a good read. Artifacts reflect the spirits of their makers. The ring itself is a good example, or Turin’s black sword (made originally by Eol and therefore shady and treacherous)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

mossyfisk posted:

They don't have rights to the Silmarillion, it's based on the LotR appendices.

I think the rights are more murky than that, they can use stuff not in the appendices too but only if cleared by the estate. New Line owns the Hobbit/LOTR rights though, so they can't do anything that touches on those books.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

I think the rights are more murky than that, they can use stuff not in the appendices too but only if cleared by the estate. New Line owns the Hobbit/LOTR rights though, so they can't do anything that touches on those books.

Don't hobbits only show up in those books though?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Don't hobbits only show up in those books though?

Hobbit? What's a hobbit? These are Harfoots.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hobbit? What's a hobbit? These are Harfoots.

Harfeet.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Peter Jackson couldn't have made a silmarillion TV show as good as the LotR films either. There's a reason the Lord of the Rings books have sold hundreds of millions of copies and from what I've read the Silmarillion has sold about a million. It's an appendix and a bunch of loose notes. It was never going to be a great show no matter who made it. Not even if they grew a cloned JRR in a vat.

Disagree, a good story can come from some loose notes. It's not like PJ is all that faithful to the books!

keep punching joe posted:

New Line is involved with the Amazon series

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Animated adaptation of the War of Wrath in the style of Castlevania when

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Morgoth vs Ungoliant at the trees would be incredible if animators were allowed to be surreal with it. In reality it would be a WoW cutscene so did we really miss out?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Anything where there's an Ainur-level throwdown ought to take inspiration from Evan Palmer's illustrated take on the first bit of the Ainulindalë.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Anything where there's an Ainur-level throwdown ought to take inspiration from Evan Palmer's illustrated take on the first bit of the Ainulindalë.

gently caress

Yes

That is absolutely beautiful

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I've said this several times but I feel like the best way to adapt the Silmarillion would be a bunch of animated shorts in wildly different styles, illustrating specific parts of the book in a way that complements their tone (more abstract for the Ainulindalë, more :black101: for the battles, etc.). Trying to adapt the entire thing is madness.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

YaketySass posted:

I've said this several times but I feel like the best way to adapt the Silmarillion would be a bunch of animated shorts in wildly different styles, illustrating specific parts of the book in a way that complements their tone (more abstract for the Ainulindalë, more :black101: for the battles, etc.). Trying to adapt the entire thing is madness.

This is basically what that comic is doing also, by referencing designs from the various Fantasia segments. It’s a good idea yeah

The breaking of Utumno should be done in the style of Son of the White Mare

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I guess they really did all sail into the west:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1664990386597625858

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
There’s lots of juicy stuff to do in the Second Age and it’s by and large pretty concrete and not as abstract as the First Age Silmarillion business. It’s also basically just an outline in both of the Sil and the appendices so you can really flesh it out however you want.

The problem is RoP was poorly written AND somehow looked cheap even with a billion dollars. Dunno how they managed that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
All of the established studios have VAST warehouses full of old props that they can dig through to repurpose, even if they don't do it for foreground stuff and important characters it still frees up a ton of budget for the important stuff they can't repurpose any old props for. It turns out it's really really hard to bootstrap that even if you've got a billion dollars to toss at it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

YaketySass posted:

Across the Tolkien-Verse.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Runcible Cat posted:

Across the Tolkien-Verse.

Creating a 11 minute video explaining that if you freeze the trailer at the 56th second you can see a winged dog on the beach, who is probably Roverandom

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I read this every few years just cause it's so loving beautiful and cool looking. I've given up hope of owning a physical copy.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

reignonyourparade posted:

All of the established studios have VAST warehouses full of old props that they can dig through to repurpose, even if they don't do it for foreground stuff and important characters it still frees up a ton of budget for the important stuff they can't repurpose any old props for. It turns out it's really really hard to bootstrap that even if you've got a billion dollars to toss at it.

Rings of Power does have a massive warehouse full of old props and costumes, they just left it behind in NZ when they shifted production for S2 overseas without warning.

I know some people that did some of the costuming on S1 and the waste behind the scenes was ridiculous. Apparently one of the lead designers was unable to articulate what their vision for costumes was, just what it was not leading to them throwing out half a dozen different concepts that had been made. Apparently there were these incredibly intricate and detailed costumes put together just for the opening scene of Galadriel & Co. in the wastelands that were only on screen for ten minutes, beneath a bunch of cloaks. Literally thousands of dollars spend on costuming for extras that were never seen.

They had a few other complaints but one of the main ones regarding how cheap everything looked was there was a complete lack of foley work. Everybody was supposedly wearing chain or plate armour and the sound just didn't reflect that at all.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

well duh

it's elven chain

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Like I said earlier, the care levels of the cast & crew don't matter, because the effort isn't guaranteed to be visible.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That can't be right, that elf must have been like a year old to dance off into the woods like that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been doing the SPACE course on the Realm of Arnor (by knewbettadobetta) and one of the side points that came up that I thought was interesting was the system of primogeniture among Elves, where it's the eldest male descendant who takes leadership (https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/142928/how-does-succession-work-in-the-various-kingdoms-of-arda — Idril is skipped over apparently), and how it differs from human kingship rules, in Númenor and in Gondor. What it made me think about was that the dynamic among immortal people who live for thousands of years, who are all alive and mature at the same time, must have been wildly different from the dynamic among humans, who have a finite and limited lifespan and who are under time pressure to produce an eligible heir and train him (or her) up to the task of taking leadership. Gaming it out, it seems to me that to Elves, age must have ultimately become a completely irrelevant metric by which to judge one person against another. Wouldn't it? Who cares if Gil-galad was the youngest descendant of long branches of Noldor, he was still born in Valinor and therefore functionally just as venerable and learned as anyone else who's been alive for several thousand years. And those latter-day centuries are plenty of time for a powerful personality to rise and prove equal or better than their predecessors; who's to say Elrond couldn't have been equally qualified by a purely practical yardstick to lead the Noldor as, say, Turgon was? Just because one was older than the other by several generations is meaningless on a long time scale. With humans, sure, you want to min-max those prime 40 or so years of adult life to be where your king should have his power, so he can apply it to strengthening the kingdom and educating his heir. But those considerations seem meaningless in the Elves' worldview.

Unless of course the Elves developed a purely fetishistic reverence for age for its own sake; like modern billionaires comparing their net worths against each other, Elves saying "Well I'm 1200 yén old!" "Yeah? Well I'm 1210!" *bumping chests*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1668982372052656138?s=20

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

I will only have an interest in seeing this if they cast Danny Devito as Gollum. No CGI, just him running around in a loincloth.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
reminds me of

https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1628903089494441990?s=20

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gonna be honest, reading that tweet made me feel a lot of emotions, very few of which were positive. In fact the only positive emotion was the relief when I realized it was a joke.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sweet geek swag posted:

Gonna be honest, reading that tweet made me feel a lot of emotions, very few of which were positive. In fact the only positive emotion was the relief when I realized it was a joke.
if you didn't laugh at Bombadil 2: Civil War we can't be friends, I don't make the rules :colbert:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Surely there are other IPs to wring blood from that won't inevitably cost a kajillion dollars to pull off :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if you didn't laugh at Bombadil 2: Civil War we can't be friends, I don't make the rules :colbert:

Oh wow, there's a second picture there. Okay that one is funny.