Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

rypakal posted:

It's ok. He says "listen up folks" enough that you know he's a crazy conspiracy nut that shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm 100% positive he believes in Bigfoot and ancient aliens. But he does decent historical research and has a well trained audio delivery.

I think that all depends on your politics. I'm only pretty left, which makes me a conservative for SA, I realize, but I got a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from some of his earlier stuff 3-4 years ago which was pretty flat-out libertarian. As I've gotten into my late thirties and slightly less lefty, his last year's worth of shows, especially since snowden, have made a ton of sense. Except for his "share a nuke" plan, which is either genius or stupid.

edit: And on TR, don't forget that he started life as a sickly, bookish kid who got wrapped up in the whole Victorian ideal of vigorous manhood in response to his desire to no longer be a sickly kid. I've always looked at him as a former nerd who hulked out once he grew up, and because of that, can never be sure what of his ideas are really his, and what of his ideas are what he thinks are the opposite of what a wan, sickly person would do. This is all Dr. Phil level psych-101 poo poo, and I may be completely wrong, but it's helped me see the guy as a human, even as he enjoys a bit of a spike in popularity lately as the dream of the 1890s is alive everywhere.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
That looks fantastic, but I can't get stitcher to find it. Grr.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

cbirdsong posted:

From what I've heard, Stitcher is kind of a walled garden that offers show listing terms some podcasters find disagreeable. You might want to look into other clients?

Huh. Didn't know that. Any recommendations for something better for streaming than stitcher for Android?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Fledgling Gulps posted:

It's NPR radio editing. I agree it's really over produced and obnoxious.

While I agree with you, I think its the audio version of what has happened to video documentaries over the past two decades, so I'm not really surprised. At least they don't repeat content over and over to pad 20 minutes of material into 40 minutes of program.

Especially since radiolab and its ilk seem to be aiming at a younger audience, its natural theyre going to be overproduced and spazzy.

Still annoying, though.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
This is why I had to stop listening to radiolab.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

TheFallenEvincar posted:

"You made a dude cut off his balls and eat himself! It's THAAAAANKSGIIIVING!" :lol:
That whole episode was great for Gareth verbally cringing with every new detail (more than usual).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Holy poo poo look at all these posts, there must be a new Hardcore History out...ooh.

Ignoring this prissy slapfight, any fans of Tank Riot ( http://www.tankriot.com) in here? Its a weird blend of history, current events, culture, and three nerds sperging, but its pretty awesome.

I highly recommend checking it out, especially if you want two hours of chat that you can come in and out of while you're doing something else.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Not sure I've seen it in here, but Thinking Sideways is a good "mystery" podcast as well. It's not really "whodunnit" as much as "let's talk about this weird thing that happened and all the weirdness surrounding it." I've learned about a lot of weird murders, disappearances, and washed up bodies since I started listening a while back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
If anyone's not listening to My History Can Beat Up Your Politics, give it a try. He's doing a 12-parter on Reagan and his presidency, and it's been fascinating and remarkably even-handed. As someone who grew up during his presidency, it's nice to get a historical take on it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, the editing on the latest Reagan episode of My History Can Beat Up Your Politics is really rough. Jesus.

I kept thinking my phone was somehow on and I was bumping buttons in my pocket.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm glad that Carlin was up front about not recommending Common Sense to his listeners (like me) who just want to hear him talk about history rather than current events. I feel like listening to Common Sense would unfairly lessen my enjoyment of Hardcore History somehow.
I remember when I first started listening to hardcore history (like 6-8 years ago already?), I thought he was a lunatic on Common Sense. Now I nod along with most of what he says. Not sure if that's because I'm older, if it's because times are more insane, or a combo of both (probably the latter), but I definitely enjoy both now.

I'm just glad there's a current events podcast from someone who is annoyed with both sides of the current discourse, and is even more annoyed that the discourse is what it is.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Thinking Sideways covers unsolved mysteries, and ends up discussing a shitload of conspiracy theories in the process. Its a pretty good listen.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I wish someone would make him an espresso whenever he starts recording.

Also, in in the ground floor for too cool to be too cool for hardcore history.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not Carlin's fault that nuclear war is metal af

not an emptyquote

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I kind of liked the whole "what's it like for one person to have the power to end all of humanity, and how unusual is it that they never used it" angle on these. I've got a long commute so I don't mind the detail.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Do you want to hear a digitally chopped and rearranged Dan Carlin doing the history of the 2020 US election and the fall of the republic? You know you do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&pagenumber=209&perpage=40#post472699757

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Interesting, but so, so deep into history dad territory.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Gaius Marius posted:

Somehow I doubt that it'll pan out that way.
Fairly sure he's promised that more than once in the past decade. He tried with the weird blitz episodes, but guy loves longform.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

mike12345 posted:

I noped out of Painfotainment pretty quickly. It felt like more blabla than usual.

I powered through because I was redoing my bathroom and didn't want to pull out my phone and get it covered with drywall dust (and couldn't wash my hands because there's no sink in there currently) and it got a bit better. But the content to verbiage ratio is low even for Dan. It took hours to learn that painful executions used to be religious, then they stopped being religious, and the mood of the crowd changed.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East is pretty good but its also extremely Dan Carlin-y and only about ww2/sino-japanese wars and their immediate background

This was the first Hardcore History I couldn't finish. I got lost when he took his drug addiction analogy about conquering territory way too far even for Dan.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

I logged back into pocketcasts just because I remembered it being the funniest stat—apparently I saved 10 hours and 55 minutes by skipping silence. Hardcore History was the only podcast where I had that feature enabled.

So it skipped 2% of the audio then?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

COOL CORN posted:

WYE has cemented Robert Evans as probably my favorite modern journalist (well, between it and Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here).
It Could Happen Here is the scariest apocalypse fiction, and seems entirely plausible.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I love BtB, but I could live without the two-parters.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah, he used to create amazing content 10 years ago when there wasn't much competition, but these days the overall quality of podcasts has increased so much, and he hasn't been able to keep up.

He's like an old heavyweight boxer. If an alien came to earth it would see that he used to be fun to listen to but eventually just took too many blows to the head.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Jordan7hm posted:

Just hit that forward button 1-5 times depending on podcast, no big deal.
Or, in the case of the Dollop, 20-30 times.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Theyre current and former military and are 100% non-moto. They named the podcast after a wry British phrase from WWI that is about the futility of war and the common soldier being meaningless to The Brass, who are out for themselves. The theme of the podcast is historical military blunders and how for the past 4000 years both Joe and war have never changed. When they talk about their own experience, it is rarely flattering to either themselves or militarism.

If you find them to be too rah-rah for ARE TROOPS perhaps Pacifica Radio has some podcasts for you.

Edit: The creator/host wrote a book about his time on active duty called "The Hooligans of Kandahar: Not All War Stories are Heroic." Rest easy that he is not pro war or even pro military.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 16, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Yeah, uh, what was the context for that?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
That is a spicy fuckin comfortable white guy take.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I haven't listened to the Dollop in a while, but listened to the Texas prison episode. Is it just not fun anymore? It seems like they've moved on from straw hat riots and half witted pitchers to just the most depressing poo poo. Its not rally fun anymore. Gerrith tries hard to land jokes, but they are 10 seconds of levity in 10 minutes of terribleness.

I feel like Behind the Bastards has more comedy.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Lions Led By Donkeys is largely "get a load of this bullshit" even when talking about genocide. As dark as their topics are it never feels hopeless.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Random Stranger posted:

Now you're making me wonder why there is no podcast that is dramatic readings and riffing on Wikipedia articles talk pages. You'd think that would be a goldmine of crazy.
The Dollop is basically this.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Grand Fromage posted:

The Dollop tells history stories, they don't go into Wikipedia talk pages. The F Plus may have at some point though, it's the sort of thing they do.
I missed the "talk" part of that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Listening to the new It Can Happen Here season and am getting 4-ish ad breaks in 40 minutes, generally for insurance, replacement windows, and cell phones. I guess its better than dick pills but they kind of undercut his message about mutual aid and going up against the wealthy together.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

AceOfFlames posted:

"You know what WON'T help you go against the wealthy?"
Sadly, he's not this self aware in this one. Its just plug in ad breaks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
"See, Jeff Bezos and I are like two heavyweight fighters pounding each other as we go into space"

Edit: stopped listening to him maybe 4-5 years ago and don't miss any of it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Omnicarus posted:

Declaring that you're doing an episode on slavery despite everyone telling you not to, then saying that you won't use modern or controversial sources because they are either too political or too complicated is one hell of a start to an episode :stare:
:psyduck:

Personally have fallen away from HH, and I guess this won't be the one that convinces me to come back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Random Stranger posted:

This made me check and make sure I was unsubscribed from Hardcore History.
Not sure exactly why but this made me giggle like an idiot.

Speaking of the subscription list, I'm afraid that Inward Empire, the enlightened pop history yin to Hardcore History's bloated yang, is never going to come back.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Just like Dan Carlin I am also not a historian, and only learned of the term quadroon from watching Archer a few years ago.

Unlike Dan Carlin, I'm not presenting a 5 hour podcast on slavery.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

External Organs posted:

Same but also I think that episode is at least ten years old lol
Holy poo poo, second episode, so almost 12 years ago. Time is meaningless, dammit.

Edit:

Lawman 0 posted:

Halfway through and Carlin really shouldn't have bothered because he's totally unprepared to talk about this because of history boomer brains.

Lawman 0 posted:

Edit: :ughh: thanks for your baby conception of Marxism Carlin.
Lawman, you're making me thing I need to listen to this just for the cringe factor, and because of that you're not my favorite person right now.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Cessna posted:

There's a part of me that wants to listen just to find out what exactly the First Sergeant of the 1st Potomac Home Brigade Infantry was doing at 2 PM on July 2 1863, but holy crap.
Have never understood what it is about the civil war that inspires this kind of obsession among so many people. Is it because there were trains?

Like, the same War Dads are into WWII and nobody has 65 episodes on the battle of the bulge.