Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Popelmon posted:

Did I hear that right on the new Common Sense, he thinks that the WW1 series will take years? :stare:

I wouldn't be surprised at the rate its going now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What you guys aren't getting is that Wilson wasn't racist just according to our modern day judgment. Even at the time he was by far more racist than Taft or Roosevelt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WDIIA posted:

Meanwhile, while I only listened to like tge first 7 episodes 5 years ago, the Chinese History Podcast is some dude who lives in San Fran and declared himself an expert after reading a bunch of books, some of them with dodgy standing as I recall

The history of china is a good knockoff of History of Rome. The china history podcast is very different. The host is a business man who has lived and worked in china for years and still flies there very often. He makes no pretensions about being a serious historian and his interest clearly rest's in more modern times and in Chinese American relations. Check out his series on Zhou Enlai or on the Tongs of New York chinatowm for a good feel for his style. If you want a more historical and chronological podcast the history of china is the podcast for you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

He devoured Dan Carlins history podcast, but wasn't really interested in history of rome (which I think he found dry or dull maybe? not sure). He really enjoyed the first season of serial. Doesn't seem to have much interest in something like the moth.

If he leans towards the carlianian style podcasts try some more in that vein. History on fire, martyrmade, and inward empire are my suggestions. They're pretty short in length but all together the series in the china history podcast might do the trick if he's into Chinese history.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Myths and Legends just doesn't work for me. I appreciate the concept but the host's attempts at humor really don't land. Every time he adds some winking dialogue or a modern reference or some ironic interpretation I cringe. I get that he's trying to make it less dry than it would be otherwise, but I don't need it to be so "wacky". It's a shame because I love the subject matter and general format otherwise. It just feels like an excited high schooler trying to spice up the stories he read for class.

You should just quit then, he's become more obnoxious lately, twisting the legends so much that I'm not really sure why he's telling them in the first place. He managed to completely miss the point of the story of Sinbad the sailor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:siren:A new episode of Inward Empire has been released:siren:. This is not a drill please proceed to your podcast listening device and commence downloading.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember finding it's page on Wikipedia and it was like a paragraph long, that's the best part about history you can look at any era in any place and if you look hard enough your gonna find some crazy poo poo that most fiction writers would dismiss as implausible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I've listened to a couple more episodes of tides, but I don't understand/like his way of structuring the show. He argues it's like having tv shows side by side, but why even make it that way? Just release the first show, then the second. Or split it into separate rss feeds. Even considering that, the rise of the state starts, interesting episode, then it's two episodes on byzantine, then - apparently going back to the rise of the state show - two episodes on military history. Even skipping the byzantine episodes, the transition to military history from a cultural history episode - eh. Really don't like it.

I think that it's supposed to help keep him interested so he isn't diving into so much of one centuries materiel constantly. It really is too bad, the info is fantastic but the lovely sound effects, the constant ads, and the schedule really drags the show down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hazborgufen posted:

I just listened to Carlin’s most recent Common Sense episode. Sounds like the current political environment has really taken his toll on him. He says Common Sense isn’t going to be coming out very frequently anymore though it isn’t being cancelled.

He also announced that he plans to start an new history podcast that is separate from Hardcore History (but not replacing it). Should be shorter and more frequently releases with more things like interviews.
Somehow I doubt that it'll pan out that way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Mike Duncan's book is officially out, and he outdid his preorder target, so this might be the End of the Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic plugs on Revolutions! :toot:

Thank god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Dan Carlin is trying to do shorter, more frequent shows again

http://dchhaddendum.libsyn.com/

Episode 2 is a crossover episode with Mike Duncan, discussing Rome

I'm guessing 5 episodes before they start lasting 5 hours and take six months to come out

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Where do you even go when you "outgrow" Carlin? I listen to a lot of history podcasts but there's not really anything like him. Inward Empire is really loving good but they make like 1.5 episodes a year.

Inward empire is so loving great. Its the only podcast I donate top, if only to try and get that Pinkerton episode out quicker

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thwomp posted:

New Inward Empire is up and it’s about the Pinkerton police force used to break up strikes in the late-19th century!

Hell yeah, it's about time.
Part one! I hope I'm not waiting another six months for part two.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 19, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Probably the history of violent entertainment, can't wait to hear about lions eating people and the crowd going nuts

Again, and again, and again

If it is I hope he quotes Augustine. There's a wonderful quote in the Confession's about his friend going to an arena match initially disgusted, before falling victim to the bloodlust in the air and cheering as men are viciously wounded and killed, only for him to reflect after the fight with horror at how he'd lost control of himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Just wanted to lol at a 4.5 hour episode marked as Blitz

He did get it up faster than usual so I'll give him that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I've was blown away by his first episode, the sword of the wilderness. He's managed to knock it out of the park with every episode so far, and he focuses on the era in American history I find the most interesting. It was the first podcast I ever gave money to and I'll continue to proselytize about it until the day I die. It's just too bad it takes months to get an episode out.

Unrelated but inward empire is my favorite history podcast, when diplomacy fails takes the Cake by most improved. If you've only listened to the old episodes I'd recommend anyone here give a listen to one of the newer ones. Zach goes into so much more depth on the diplomatic front then any other podcast I've ever seen. Using primary sources and scholarly research as opposed to popular history books and his diplomacy focus gives his podcast a feel that no others have managed to capture.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hopefully this means less interruptions in the podcast...and less shilling of his book, I was interested in it but man I couldn't bring myself to buy it after hearing how I should preorder it twice an episode.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just found the way he did it very grating. I'm really not sure why but I couldn't stand it. Robin Pierson had a whole episode to sell me on Anthony kaldelis's book and it was far better done.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

He does it at the begging and occasionally the end.

That being someone’s breaking point is hilarious.

I assumed you must never shave considering all the shilling he does for that.

Harry's is the only podcast discount I've ever used actually. I've been using his codes since the history of rome days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember listening to a few episodes of the British History podcast and thinking it was garbage. Even in the first few he was drawing sweeping conclusions about poo poo we know next to nothing about. There are decades in the history of the Isles that have maybe, maybe a single paragraph to describe them. The idea that you could tell a factual narrative history with such scant sources is laughable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Check this list out:

https://bellocollective.com/18-history-podcasts-to-listen-to-in-2018-72acaa4fec94

I'm about to put the first episode of uncivil on and go for a run. Compared to pre Roman England I've actually read a book on the ACW so I'm curious to see where this goes.

I don't know if I can trust any list that recommends Wittenberg to Westphalia of all things. Spending God knows how many episodes describing maps was probably the dullest thing I've ever listened too. He's three years in and still seems to be a couple hundred away from his starting point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is this the final part? I've been waiting for the whole thing to drop before I listen.

It is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's gonna be waiting decades then. Things are gonna slow way the hell down once the crusaders enter the picture

Actually I'd recommend the podcast highly. It can be slow but I don't think it's over drawn out and Pierson goes into a lot of very interesting info that other podcasters would've skipped

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fall of rome/ tides of history is terrible about the sound effects. I love the podcast but all the horse clopping and sword noises drives me insane

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For anyone that's interested John Zhu has started his podcast summary of Water Margin. Anybody interested in the Chinese classics but too short on time to read them should check it, and his completed Three Kingdoms podcast out.

http://www.outlawsofthemarsh.com/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She never gets all that loud, but she gets a new mic around fifty and stops misnaming the Hagia Sophia. I'd just skip to the first of the cathar episodes and see how you like that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I going to crazy or is skeptoid using crash bandicoot music for it's into now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking for podcasts on the Ottoman Empire, preferably earlier on in its history. Podcasts on the early caliphates are welcome too.

Tides of history has a few episodes on them in their catalogue. History of Byzantium touches on the early caliphate's and their conflicts with Rome. There is an ottoman history podcast but Ive never listened and have no idea of it's quality.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anything on Organized Labor? Just anything, not necessarily mysteries and scandals. I'll take simple exposition for now.

Inward empire, specifically the soldiers of capital and great railway strike episodes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

History of Egypt is very well presented and researched and gives a great appreciation for just how drat long Egypt has been around.

History of the Crusades has a rough first season, which is unfortunate as it's wear she covers all the Crusades people have heard of. But even if the mic quality sucks and she mis names the hagia Sophia for a hundred episodes it's still well researched and entertaining, once she hits the crusade against the cathars though is when it really hits it's stride. She slows down massively and introduces you to some real interesting and weird dudes who radically changed the trajectory of southern France.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

The Egypt one was on my radar, thanks for the one on the Crusades though. Looks like it ended last Dec, I assume the Baltic Crusades were the last ones anyway? :v:

She's taking a break and then coming back with a series on the reconguista actually, it's probably also worth noting that for a buck on her patreon, you get access to about forty episodes on the war of the roses, and one on Joan of arc. If your looking for more content it's highly worth it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I downloaded it fine from the RSS, maybe he pulled it to correct an audio issue

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Part five of the diem experiment is up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When diplomacy fails did a really nice series about the Korean war, with an eye on it's place and importance in the cold war

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the US is a country that is laughably swayed by propaganda. Use the right words and you can get a huge chunk of the population to completely shift their position to a more progressive one on any given matter. Then you point out their hypocrisy and they start foaming at the mouth.

Yeah this is totally unique to America and certainly only runs one way politically :rolleyes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's an absolutely moronic loving take. Every country on earth is primarily concerned with their own affairs, that doesn't mean they see the rest of the world as imaginary. I don't know what it is about the internet that makes people create these sweeping narratives based on absolutely nothing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like Doughboys (and How Did This Get Made, before it) fell hard down the "Every show is a live show" hole.

Like, I understand that making content is hard and live shows bring in money and all the rest. But goddamn did the dumb audience participation segments make me want to diiiieeee.

:sigh:

A ton of podcasts fell down this rabbit hole and it always sucks, Live podcasts are almost universally terrible.

Grevling posted:

Latest Tides of History about early farmers in Europe is awesome. I love imagining the slow (although it was really pretty rapid) colonization of Europe across generations. Pretty gruesome how late Linear Pottery Culture People started to massacre and eat one another though.

I really can't get into the latest season, it happened so long ago, and everything is so tenuous, that it really just makes me think. Why does it even matter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't vouch for the Prehistory season since I don't give a gently caress about it. But the early modern season is good, if not a little unfocused. His habit of creating composite characters is nice for getting a ground level view of things, but it can lead to the listener quickly losing sight of the big picture if they aren't at least a little familiar to them.

The sound effects and ads are terrible though, and every single wondery podcast on my feed needs to announce whenever a new show, or event is released which is real annoying seeing podcast addict update with 12 new episodes and half are "Announcing Business wars: Coke Vs. Charmin" or some poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd look to pick up a book or at least a doc on youtube for that. Business wars was never strong but the marvel DC episode really stood out to me as being super weak. They rushed right past the golden age, barely mentioned bob kane and bill finger. And skipped a lot of the drama around fleischer and schuster. Believed way too much of stan lees bullshit, never even mentioned ditko. And then skipped how successful DC was in the late ninties and early 2000's with their animation department. I don't even remember if they talked about jack Kirby at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

Any good podcasts covering Aum Shinrikyo?

May I recommend the aum shinrikyo episode of last podcast on the left.

It's not scholarly at all, and your gonna find out real quick whether or not you can stand henry, but it was hilarious.