Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I can probably provide you way better advice if you tell me which T1 it is (PMs are fine).

Get thee to the negotiation thread in terms of what to do about the offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can probably provide you way better advice if you tell me which T1 it is (PMs are fine).

Get thee to the negotiation thread in terms of what to do about the offer.

PM sent! I figured I'd head there after I got an actual written offer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CornHolio posted:

PM sent! I figured I'd head there after I got an actual written offer.

Received and replied to. The negotiation starts before you get the offer, so I think you should head there soon.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
From that post it sounds like you do want change and probably need it. You can still be friends with your coworkers if they become ex-coworkers.

Get an offer and then go read the negotiation thread. If it comes up before you can read the thread: Don't give them what you make now or name what you want yet.

Edit: beaten and didn't refresh but +1 anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If the money was the same would this be an easy decision? (and that doesn't mean your ceiling should be the same amount). That should inform you on what you need to know.

I'd be surprised if they wouldn't come up 10%+ for their top candidate, though that all depends on industry and location.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lockback posted:

If the money was the same would this be an easy decision? (and that doesn't mean your ceiling should be the same amount). That should inform you on what you need to know.

I'd be surprised if they wouldn't come up 10%+ for their top candidate, though that all depends on industry and location.

Honestly it still wouldn't be an easy decision, but for all the wrong reasons. It's the intersection of "do I want fulfillment in my career" and "do I want to be happy at my job." I don't want to get complacent but I don't want to hurt my career. I kind of feel like I'm close enough to a management position here that even if I got a better offer elsewhere, long term I might still make more here. But... do I want to be in management here, where it's so toxic?

Xguard86 posted:

From that post it sounds like you do want change and probably need it. You can still be friends with your coworkers if they become ex-coworkers.

Get an offer and then go read the negotiation thread. If it comes up before you can read the thread: Don't give them what you make now or name what you want yet.

Edit: beaten and didn't refresh but +1 anyway.

I didn't give a number initially, and they said the position tops out at 85k (which is less than I make now). I made sure they knew that would be a pay cut but they haven't come up from that. It would be a lot less of a drive, so I'd save money on gas, and I'm still waiting to see what the other benefits even are. I don't have that information yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do not go in to management in a company with incompetent management would be my advice on that specific path. you will learn extremely bad habits.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CornHolio posted:

But... do I want to be in management here, where it's so toxic?

I've been a manager for almost 13 years. The answer is no.

If you're still torn even with the money thing, I think there's a lot to cut up though. If you're coming in at the top of the pay range that presents other problems, it's super rare for someone to get promoted to a new pay grade within a year or even 2 of getting hired, unless they are absolute entry level.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Lockback posted:

I've been a manager for almost 13 years. The answer is no.

If you're still torn even with the money thing, I think there's a lot to cut up though. If you're coming in at the top of the pay range that presents other problems, it's super rare for someone to get promoted to a new pay grade within a year or even 2 of getting hired, unless they are absolute entry level.

I agree with all this.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not go in to management in a company with incompetent management would be my advice on that specific path. you will learn extremely bad habits.
Would it be worth it to push for management and then switch jobs once he has the title?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

moana posted:

Would it be worth it to push for management and then switch jobs once he has the title?

You really need a couple years of management for it to stick. I'd see a new manager trying to jump to another management position too soon as a real bad sign.

Incompetent management it might be ok. Chaotic or unsure might make sense. Toxic is bad. In my reading, it sounds like it's a culture of blame and management fostering an "us vs them" mentality. That poo poo will wreck your life and new employers will smell it on you, basically railroading you to other toxic workplaces.

This is obviously a real cursory reading but it sounds like they have basically the ideal job for their situation that they want to leave because management is that bad. Don't join that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Lockback posted:

You really need a couple years of management for it to stick. I'd see a new manager trying to jump to another management position too soon as a real bad sign.

Incompetent management it might be ok. Chaotic or unsure might make sense. Toxic is bad. In my reading, it sounds like it's a culture of blame and management fostering an "us vs them" mentality. That poo poo will wreck your life and new employers will smell it on you, basically railroading you to other toxic workplaces.

This is obviously a real cursory reading but it sounds like they have basically the ideal job for their situation that they want to leave because management is that bad. Don't join that.

Interesting re: new manager jumping quickly. What if they have realized the culture is bad and want out asap? I'm guessing you'd say that's different but curious to hear ab experienced pov

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

moana posted:

If all you want to do is be paid as a manager then it could be. If you want to actually be a good manager (which you should, if you plan to go in to management!), you need to be in a supportive environment with a positive culture that will actually foster your development of managerial skills, which are real, specific, and very difficult to learn any way other than on the job.

Xguard86 posted:

Interesting re: new manager jumping quickly. What if they have realized the culture is bad and want out asap? I'm guessing you'd say that's different but curious to hear ab experienced pov

I'm not inclined to trust their managerial skills. We would put them in as a senior IC on a fast path to management, but we would also do that with someone we hired as an experienced IC.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

If they were looking to go back as an individual contributor, then no problem. If I was hiring a manager and the person basically said "I was promoted just a few months ago but the place is messed up so I want a new management job" I'd really be suspicious and think they were flaming out (real common with new managers) and trying to bail. But honestly its like 9-18 months for a new manager to really settle into the role, so something like 2 years is informal rule that I'd look at for a new manager to know they probably actually made it. "I got the promotion, I did it for ~2 years, then I decided my best path forward was somewhere else" is reasonable.

I also have never hired someone without management experience into a management role, that seems very risky. But I've been reasonably quick promoting from within for management so I've been in situations where I didn't need to take risks like that, that's probably not universal. When I've hired off the street I've honestly only really looked at people who looked pretty solid and safe. Hiring a bad manager off the street seems like the best way to completely torpedo a team.

edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not inclined to trust their managerial skills. We would put them in as a senior IC on a fast path to management, but we would also do that with someone we hired as an experienced IC.

This is basically my same thinking. I'm starting to get worried those of us who post this stuff are melding into basically the same kind of borg manager.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 26, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Good insights. I've always heard the two year quote as well but not with the context you've both provided.

That timeline is kind of nice to hear too. I'm in a new management role and it's not even been a year. I often feel like (and expectations of me) are that I should be at full speed. If the true transition time could be reasonably doubled then my self assessment is much better and maybe my seniors will have more patience than I thought.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Good insights. I've always heard the two year quote as well but not with the context you've both provided.

That timeline is kind of nice to hear too. I'm in a new management role and it's not even been a year. I often feel like (and expectations of me) are that I should be at full speed. If the true transition time could be reasonably doubled then my self assessment is much better and maybe my seniors will have more patience than I thought.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Your first year of management is a kind of a mess and I would expect a very large difference between someone under a year and someone at 2 years. There's definitely a reckoning moment where it makes sense to know "Is this what I really want/should be doing?" and there's no shame to saying no, but it really shouldn't be a problem to say "I still feel like I'm catching up" at the year mark.

While typing this a manager who reports to me (who has been that for 2 years) just setup a cross-team training with our cloud team on his own, not a thing I would have expected a year ago.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So to make matters more difficult, I've been contacted by another headhunter that I was going to ignore until they threw out $115k/year (I make $92k now, maybe $95k after a COL raise that should be coming but isn't promised). Better 401k matching too. Heard it isn't a great company to work for though, still looking into that.

When I left my last job, after several months I saw a dip in my 401k because it wasn't all vested and my previous company took back what wasn't, I guess. The website that my current 401k is through says my balance is fully vested. I'm assuming I wouldn't have to worry about that happening again, right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CornHolio posted:

So to make matters more difficult, I've been contacted by another headhunter that I was going to ignore until they threw out $115k/year (I make $92k now, maybe $95k after a COL raise that should be coming but isn't promised). Better 401k matching too. Heard it isn't a great company to work for though, still looking into that.

When I left my last job, after several months I saw a dip in my 401k because it wasn't all vested and my previous company took back what wasn't, I guess. The website that my current 401k is through says my balance is fully vested. I'm assuming I wouldn't have to worry about that happening again, right?

It's not that uncommon to have a vesting period of 2-4 years where it's prorated. How long have you been at current place? It also needs to be clearly mentioned in the handbook too, they can't bury that in some hidden agreement.

Overall it's more likely than not to not have any vesting period though, you get the match day 1.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Your first year of management is a kind of a mess and I would expect a very large difference between someone under a year and someone at 2 years. There's definitely a reckoning moment where it makes sense to know "Is this what I really want/should be doing?" and there's no shame to saying no, but it really shouldn't be a problem to say "I still feel like I'm catching up" at the year mark.

While typing this a manager who reports to me (who has been that for 2 years) just setup a cross-team training with our cloud team on his own, not a thing I would have expected a year ago.

Taking advantage of someone who knows what they're talking about :

I moved laterally from high level IC into this role. My first time as direct manager but I spent a few years in consulting leading teams managing budget roll on roll off etc.

I don't think my director or VP are doing things right. I actually question our whole culture/top - bottom leadership. Based on my experience, industry leading practices, and even my mba classes (lol I know).

So I'm debating if I hang around and try to get over that 2 year bar or jet. I've also wondered if I'll make it to that point see above about me questioning their judgement.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lockback posted:

It's not that uncommon to have a vesting period of 2-4 years where it's prorated. How long have you been at current place? It also needs to be clearly mentioned in the handbook too, they can't bury that in some hidden agreement.

Overall it's more likely than not to not have any vesting period though, you get the match day 1.

I've been at my current place almost 8 and a half years, but I was only at the previous place two. It surprised me and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Our vesting is 25% a year over 4 years.

It shouldn't have been a surprise as it was very clearly in your plan documents. I understand you missed it but it's not a trick. If the website says you're fully vested, you are fully vested.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I've been at my current place almost 8 and a half years, but I was only at the previous place two. It surprised me and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It likely wouldn't be legal if the vesting period was that long (8+ years). Your old job probably (should have) told you about the vesting period for the match but I am guessing you missed it or maybe didn't fully understand. Like I said, they can't hide that. I think you're fine for this job, but check the employee handbook if your not sure.

Xguard86 posted:

Taking advantage of someone who knows what they're talking about :

I moved laterally from high level IC into this role. My first time as direct manager but I spent a few years in consulting leading teams managing budget roll on roll off etc.

I don't think my director or VP are doing things right. I actually question our whole culture/top - bottom leadership. Based on my experience, industry leading practices, and even my mba classes (lol I know).

So I'm debating if I hang around and try to get over that 2 year bar or jet. I've also wondered if I'll make it to that point see above about me questioning their judgement.

MBAs are good, understanding that nothing is ever going to be so sterile or "easy" as they're presented in an MBA but they generally give pretty good advice. So you're probably making the right takeaways.

I'd say: What do you want in your career? If management is a thing you are passionate about, and you think right now the problems are expectations and ineffective management more so than straight up toxic culture, it's probably in your best interest to stay but start thinking now about that 2 year plan: How do you find a new job, what should that be, what would the first year at somewhere new look like?

I *think* you might just be in the imposter syndrome valley right now, where expectations and skills tend to dip down before they start coming back up, especially from someone who is probably used to exceeding year after year as an IC. That's not to say you're not right about how you're questioning your management, but that your perception of THEIR perception and your fit might not be accurate. This isn't a "push through no matter what" thing though. I've known peers who burned out hard trying to make something work that didn't, and I don't think it was a good career move.

fyi, that dip is real in management. One of the biggest areas of flameout is when someone who was used to batting 1.000 as an IC tries to come to grip that you WILL take fails as a manager (even experienced ones do) and that you can't just pour in extra hours or rely on some miracle inspiration. Sometimes a big part of management is knowing when to mitigate shortcomings or when to realize something is failing and fold successfully.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 26, 2021

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thanks that was really good. I read it twice. You're probably right about my own insecurities. I don't think it's toxic culture so prob right to ride it out. Maybe by that point the things I think are wrong are better too.

Previously too I had built that rep as a great IC so felt more confident in leadership roles. Stepping over this is my first impression and I think it's contributing to my anxiety. Thanks again, that was 1000$ advice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

I *think* you might just be in the imposter syndrome valley right now, where expectations and skills tend to dip down before they start coming back up, especially from someone who is probably used to exceeding year after year as an IC. That's not to say you're not right about how you're questioning your management, but that your perception of THEIR perception and your fit might not be accurate. This isn't a "push through no matter what" thing though. I've known peers who burned out hard trying to make something work that didn't, and I don't think it was a good career move.

fyi, that dip is real in management. One of the biggest areas of flameout is when someone who was used to batting 1.000 as an IC tries to come to grip that you WILL take fails as a manager (even experienced ones do) and that you can't just pour in extra hours or rely on some miracle inspiration. Sometimes a big part of management is knowing when to mitigate shortcomings or when to realize something is failing and fold successfully.

This is great advice. The other issue I tend to see with new managers is they expect the ICs on their team to perform at the level they were performing at before they became a manager. That's probably not realistic, and at minimum there are going to be variations in the type of and consistency of performance between team members even if they are all relatively high achievers (they won't be). You have to grow your people if you want them to perform, and that doesn't mean doing their jobs for them.

There are always going to be things that you believe that the management team is doing wrong. Hell, if you asked everyone else on the management team and could somehow force them to be candid they would probably spill a litany of things that they think the management team does wrong.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Folks have been giving some really great advice re: management track.

I just wanted to emphasize that management is not always necessarily the "next step" for an engineer. It's a different job with different responsibilities, and has been said you will likely struggle with some or all of it for some time as a new manager. Unless you actually really want to be a manager because you want the responsibility and duties, I don't recommend jumping in to it especially at a dysfunctional, toxic place where you've already got one foot out the door, at least mentally.

I had a foray into engineering management a few years ago. At the time it seemed like my only near-term opportunity to move up at the company I was with. I don't necessarily regret it, but in retrospect it wasn't the right place/right time.

I was looking for career growth and pay raises, and I took the "easy" thing in front of me. I made it about a year and a half before jumping ship. I ended up moving to a different company returning to a senior IC role, and found the career growth and pay raise I was looking for (and then some). As the old saying goes, the best raise you can get is changing companies.

For your sake, and the sake of your reports, please only go into management if it's something you really want to do and are devoted to getting better at.

And for what it's worth, my experience in software (so YMMV) has been that there is a dire lack of and burning need for good engineering management. At a couple of companies now the opportunity to go from senior IC to management is an open door because so few engineers want to do it. And many of those that do try it, like myself, bail on it after a couple years.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 26, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The problem is that at a lot of companies, there is no IC track beyond a certain point, and that point is often pretty early in your career. So your options are to job hunt--possibly requiring a move--or to go into management or to stagnate.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ultrafilter posted:

The problem is that at a lot of companies, there is no IC track beyond a certain point, and that point is often pretty early in your career. So your options are to job hunt--possibly requiring a move--or to go into management or to stagnate.

That is our company. I am 34 and on management track. Could move up to director and VP if I wanted to go for. One of my engineers is 34 and he is tapped out (we technically have one more engineering level but lol. it is so fake, not one under 60 has it).

Fourstar
Oct 18, 2012
I'm feeling really stuck in my job and I'm going to try to avoid the wall of E/N text that surrounds it.

I'm a junior to mid-level geologist with two years of experience who works for an exploration company, where all of my experience has come from, and I want to get out. I'm not an employee, strictly self employed, but the company has been treating me as if I am working higher in the ranks even though they aren't willing to move me to anything above the base level work they have. I've been told multiple times that I will be moving up, or moving into what I want to do in either drill control or project planning, but as the project has expanded they keep me in low level positions and aren't willing to increase my pay. I also feel obligated to stay in the mining town where I live, even though it sucks, because of its proximity to work.

The work season is so short, as it is normally in the field, that they don't offer any days off or weekends for 3 to 4 months at a time and I am burnt out and miserable for most of the year. Right now they offer me middling pay with no chance to negotiate for more. I've been aggressively applying and cold calling anyone who I know or who has a pulse to get out, but because my two years of work are entry level work nobody seems motivated to hire me or call back. I have had an interview with another company that went alright, and another next week for similar work that could extend to year round contracting. I haven't been offered anything yet, and lacking high level experience I'm not holding out a lot of hope that I will be offered another job. My boss wants me to commit again before I can get a call back from either of the interviews that I've had

I have a year and a half of savings but I worry about throwing my chance to find work in the field by burning the guys I work for now. The industry is so small that it feels like leaving on bad terms could sink my long term prospects. What do I do? Stay with the a rough job to keep my resume consistent, or quit outright, take service industry work, and take my chances with my career for 8-10 months?

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
That work schedule does sounds pretty rough. If it's really bothering you I would strongly recommend reconsidering you stance on moving to a different area. Assuming the field schedule is weather related, as long as you stay in your location, moving to a different company isn't going to change it that much and you are still going to be stuck with dealing with it. It also sounds like there are limited alternatives there, so less opportunities to move up.

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction where you are saying that you are only getting low level work, but treating you like you're working higher in the ranks. Not to discourage you, but consider that two years isn't a huge amount. In my experience (environmental) that is about when you start moving up to more mid-level work, but it can take longer. Have you been applying to full-time positions with the company you contract with?

I wouldn't leave your current job, especially if you are willing to leave the area. As you noted, leaving on bad terms would be pretty terrible for future job prospects as long as you stay. Stall as long as you can and maybe one of your interviews will work out. You can also try to tie working on other projects to you commitment, but there won't be much of a guarantee of that panning out.

Fourstar
Oct 18, 2012

Ghosts! posted:

That work schedule does sounds pretty rough. If it's really bothering you I would strongly recommend reconsidering you stance on moving to a different area. Assuming the field schedule is weather related, as long as you stay in your location, moving to a different company isn't going to change it that much and you are still going to be stuck with dealing with it. It also sounds like there are limited alternatives there, so less opportunities to move up.

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction where you are saying that you are only getting low level work, but treating you like you're working higher in the ranks. Not to discourage you, but consider that two years isn't a huge amount. In my experience (environmental) that is about when you start moving up to more mid-level work, but it can take longer. Have you been applying to full-time positions with the company you contract with?

I wouldn't leave your current job, especially if you are willing to leave the area. As you noted, leaving on bad terms would be pretty terrible for future job prospects as long as you stay. Stall as long as you can and maybe one of your interviews will work out. You can also try to tie working on other projects to you commitment, but there won't be much of a guarantee of that panning out.

I guess I should clarify, for two years my living expenses were paid for as part of my contract, and that ended this year. I'm actively trying to relocate to somewhere that would allow me to keep working in the field but have more balance. Most companies work rotations of 14-28 days on and 7-14 days off, which sounds so much better than getting crushed by work. The work I do is core logging, similar to mud logging in Oil and Gas. Logging is fine, but also seems like a pit that can be hard to get out of; the company would rather keep a known entity rather than try to hire someone green.
I'm okay with doing the work of an entry level geo, I'm not expecting to move into project management or planning, but I don't want the work I do to stagnate at 3-5 years in the same role. I've talked to them directly about wanting to move up, full time staff isn't an option, but into something where I can be on the drill as a geologist. The company does not have other projects, and is actively filling the roles I have asked to move into
I can stall for about a week before I will be asked to re-commit and I plan to use every minute of it

Fourstar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 4, 2021

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can verify this, I learned awful habits from 10 years in a law firm and bad habits from 5 years in an ossified fortune 100 with an entrenched and very comfortable executive tier, and have only started learning not terrible habits in the past three years by virtue of working for actually smart and high EQ people.

On the assumption my previous experience is more representative than my current one, it amazes me daily that the world isn’t even more hosed up.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Speaking of incompetent management, I have a career path question relating to titles...

Working in a large multinational, not FAANG. I was fake-promoted (all responsibility, no pay increase) in late October to a position appropriate for the title 'principle data scientist'. To this, my manager agreed and submitted the request. It was approved, but due to our yearly reviews, did not take effect until last week. No backpay or anything. Feels kinda lovely, but I'm almost completely out of debt and my wife and I have just hit some financial milestones that would otherwise allow for lots of time off, except the whole health insurance tied to employer deal.

So I check today and the salary grade is correct, but the job title is principle data analyst. These are actually quite different jobs in this company, with data analyst typically paying less. Not sure if it really makes a difference given the equivalent salary grade. My raise was a 16% increase -- but still less than what is paid in town for similar positions.

In any case it's clear that this is a situation where switching jobs is the simplest fix. There is some motion to switch me to a different team internally, but I may also just jump ship.

So let's say I write principle data scientist on a resume -- is this something that was screw me in a background check? Am I over thinking this? I just don't want this to affect career progression -- which I may terminate in two years anyway.

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to ask my current manager to fix this. Everything of this sort is like pulling teeth and I can't tell if this is incompetence or malice at this point.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Were you told it would be principle data scientist? I mean this might just be an HR mistake?

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I was told that, yes, though mostly our conversations involved the pay grade since I skipped one.

I'll bring it up with my manager, but I'm basically exhausted at this point with continuous mistakes, setbacks, delays, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If the title on your resume doesn't match up with what HR says, that can present an issue in a background check. Best to get this squared away (or just put data analyst on your resume).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kudaros posted:

I was told that, yes, though mostly our conversations involved the pay grade since I skipped one.

I'll bring it up with my manager, but I'm basically exhausted at this point with continuous mistakes, setbacks, delays, etc.

Anywhere in writing? Or will your boss at least say it now in writing so you can chase down the update for them?

I get the exhaustion but if you're going to fight for one last thing, this would be a good one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Its not too unusual for titles to not perfectly match HR designations but yes, you should bring it up and make sure it isn't just a "forgot a box" kind of thing.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
I'm curious if anyone knows of good tools (articles, workbooks, quizzes, etc.) that are designed to help senior-level individual contributors decide what they want to do next in their career?

I've struggled hard with this question for a long time, but I need to have an answer soon (C-level is dropping hints, new VP is coming in, fellow IC is gunning for a director title...).

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm about to leave my Geek Squad Manager position at Best Buy. Been with GeekSquad for 5 years and worked my way up, but I'm ready to move on, I don't see retail as my future it was really just a move away from my first career as a Horse-shoer (Farrier). I've been saving money for the last year with Covid limiting what I can really do anyways. Got all my debts paid off and even sold my car so that MY GIRLFRIEND and I have only hers and my family lives close in case we need two. She's volunteered to pay rent (which we have an amazing deal on) until I find something else, but Best Buy gave me a decent bonus so she won't even need to do that.

Point is for the first time in my life, 35 years old, I have a chance to take a breath, not work 1-3 jobs, and actually get a certification and start a real career. My problem is I'm indecisive as gently caress when it comes to my own life and I'm not sure what path to take. Here they are as I see it, any guidance or help would be much MUCH appreciated:

I.T. - I have been working with consumer electronics for 5 years, I'm pretty sure I've done stuff more complicated than a corporate I.T. job (which my friends in the industry say it really just comes down to imaging computers and setting them up, making sure network devices are plugged in correctly), and all I really need to do is get A+ certified. I started the Google I.T. Professional certificate and got about halfway through the networking section when I really hit a wall and I ended up climbing the ladder at Geek Squad. Networking is tough for me but if I have stress-free time to study I can handle it.

Pros: experience, management experience as well, quick climb potential, have some friends in the industry, seems like the smoothest transition, a couple weeks of study and I could take the A+ tests
Cons: Kind of bored of working on computers pay potentially not as high as next option..

Salesforce Admin/Developer - I was told about salesforce from a part time coworker in his 50's whos kids had moved out and his wife had passed away and he joined Geek Squad as an afternoon hobby and to help his kids with college. He told me the dumbest person at his company was the lady they hired to be their salesforce admin, and she was making 6 figures. I laughed and carried on with promises of Geek Squad glory. Okay that's an exaggeration, but I was moving up so I didn't really look into it., path of least resistance etc. Well I have been messing around on trailhead.com for a few months now and reading about these amazing salaries and it looks to me like something I could do, and make a lot of money doing it.

Pros: Promises of $$$, growing industry although maybe not as crazy as it was 4-5 years ago, has a very positive helpful camaraderie based culture, no cost to learn, but could take me 3-6 months to be ready.
Cons: no real experience, I don't know anyone in this field, would need to get certified heavily before applying with no experience.

Project Management: This was initially my first thought when I started really planning on leaving my current job. I thought about my skillsets, basic I.T., customer service, leadership, setting goals and hitting them, and I did a google search and this popped up. I started talking to some friends and a lot of people mentioned that people I had met were Project Managers, so I have some connections that I could talk to. The reason I didn't really go with this is because the training/certifications/schooling was SHOCKINGLY expensive to me. A course at Cal State University Irvine is like 8k for 10 weeks. Or maybe it was more, I'm not sure, but for a poor like me who didn't go to college it seemed crazy. Now I've learned that Google has a Professional certificate for this as well, and I actually liked the flow of the I.T. course they put together, this seems like an option and won't break my bank.

Pros: Seems like a good fit for my skills, what was formerly very expensive is now not
Cons: starting salaries are around the 50k mark, as opposed to SF in the 80ks, potential to much, much more stressful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ok, a few things here but first off I'm going to give you some tough love here. You're not in a bad spot and seem like you have a good head on your shoulders but you are making some broad assumptions based on basically "locker room talk" that you need straightened.

I.T. Pros don't just image computers and make sure networking is plugged in. A+ is basically worthless now and you might be able to find jobs doing braindead IT but it'll pay about the same as geek squad with about the same future. If you want to make a Real Career out of it you'll need to learn how to admin things in the cloud, automate interactions, admin large enterprise deployments, etc. If you were struggling with google certs this is going to be a tough climb. You could maybe do it but honestly you sound like one of the many people who wash out of IT because they came from a place like Geeksquad.

My advice: Don't quit your job to pursue this yet. Try to work through some free certs, and maybe focus on some AWS/Azure stuff too. Take a look at some job postings for these roles and use that to help you figure out what you need to know. This isn't 1998 anymore, you don't get good jobs for just knowing about computer stuff.

Salesforce Admin/Dev. This is actually a really good goal! Good job, lots of demand. But it's hard. Why do you think your friend was working at geek squad instead of being a salesforce admin/dev if it was so easy? I work with salesforce devs and I've actually had really smart people who work for me pick up pieces of SFDC and it's not turn key. BUT, if you started looking at it I would keep going, it might be a good fit! However, I think there's a big chance you'll not be able to get as far as you hope.

My advice: Don't quit your job to pursue this yet. Keep going through free training and maybe quit when you're ready to go through a sfdc bootcamp or something.

Project Management. Yeah dude, this is not your thing right now. This is a tough area to break into and its EXCEEDINGLY rare to have someone basically come off the street into project management. Geek Squad Management is probably not a good background. And PMP certs are a joke, they are made to be paid by companies sending people.

My Advice: You are not in a good position to pursue this. Don't quit your job to pursue this.

And honestly, you don't really have a plan right now. You have some ideas and some half-hearted thoughts. Quitting without a plan seems like a real bad idea, especially right now when the market is still real tough for new people coming in (its good for more senior people, lovely for new people). I think you have a lot more work to do before you're in a position to think about making a leap.