Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yesssssssss..... I have this game, but it's kinda cold and dim around here right now so I can't actually make any progress. This will be much fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All the Boktai games have fanmade patches that let you adjust sunlight levels with L and R. Not sure about UV melting your cartridge but the Overheat mechanic's built in for a reason, I'm sure too much sunlight would damage your game and it's definitely bad for you. That goes extra for UV lights. I assume you're emulating this but if you're not please don't get skin cancer on our account! :ohdear:

Jumping on the :bandwagon: The Kid gets my vote too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'd like to be goony as gently caress for a moment, if nobody minds.

heroiccreampuff posted:

On a less nitpicky note: I love this series more than is probably healthy. I have gotten very bizarre sunburns as a young lass, and also had a cold for almost two months because I refused to stop wandering outside to play this the October/November it came out.

Actually I think you'll find that I am the biggest Boktai nerd here, I own the limited-edition Solar Gun water pistol. It was released only in Japan as a promo toy for Lunar Knights, or to give it its original title, Boktai DS: Django and Sabata. That is all.
:goonsay:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Optional dungeon, cause I'm pretty sure I just did it and I want to stay juuuuuust a little ahead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Explore!

That loving red gem. THAT loving RED GEM. The red and blue gems made me outright give up and go look for a walkthrough, but the walkthrough just confirmed what I already knew for red. The problem was that DS screens cope very, very badly with sunlight and are therefore horrible for playing Boktai in. I couldn't see the sparkle. And on top of that I was expecting it to be somewhere significant, like the middle of the room or in front of the altar.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Enemies definitely saw coffins in the first, they could walk up to them and instantly set the coffin going on its way back. Mind you there was only one place in the first where this was in any danger of happening, I don't recall any in Boktai 2 and they'll both be overshadowed by a couple of UTTERLY GLORIOUS coffins later on so eh, iron.

Also I'm pretty sure silver doesn't work when it's you inside it. I tried.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bringing back Mummies as-is from Boktai 1 was a huge mistake, in my opinion. In Boktai, Mummies are neat little puzzle enemies, and if you like you can stun them with a shot to the back from outside their hearing range, then zap them with a spread and they don't even explode, just evaporate. In Boktai 2 they're a huge pain in the rear end that make certain later already-unnecessarily-hard adventures that little bit more ridiculous. As you are right now, you cannot get a Mummy in the back without attracting its attention then gluing yourself to the wall for ten seconds so that it'll give up and idly saunter off.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

This character is significantly older than the protagonist, and has in the past been their friend. He was presumed dead, but was instead taken and altered by the villains and set to fight the protagonist, who initially doesn't recognise him. The character occasionally briefly regains control of their senses, but suffers from spasms that causes the character to vibrate painfully.

Yep, Kojima liked Grey Fox so much that he decided to write him again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, the pretty face was last game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a strange way to say "Vampire Django is ridiculously overpowered and with a couple of exceptions renders the sunlight gauge totally obsolete."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan Elefan. Elefan. If you're going into an Immortal dungeon, it is the best.

Also there's one more thing you have access to. You know, thanks to Elefan's solar gun. The... ahem... "postgame".

So Vampire Django! He's ridiculous! His attacks come faster and get extra range, but if that wasn't enough they also come with free staggering! You can stunlock pretty much any enemy in the game with Vampire Django's sword or spear (hammers swing faster but still suck. fists unchanged). As human Django, your best bet is sneaking up on enemies and hitting them in the back with their weakness, you can get three sword hits in this way. Vampire Django doesn't get those three hits, meaning it doesn't matter so much that he can't use the enemy's weakness. And that's not all by far...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crimsons aren't a threat. Just clear out the rest of the room, walk up to them with sword or spear and stunlock them to a very slow death. Also, Coffin Monster Elefan can get over those puddles and you don't get hurt in rain while inside it. It is the best :3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And thanks to the power of Rising Sun - which Black Django can still use, oddly enough - only Pile Driving and one story-specific thing later on requires real sunlight. The game is now broken in two.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

True, and that deals with the Pile Driver (although it does make it take a while if you have no other sunlight). But the one other instance where you need sunlight is set up so that nothing else will do.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spiral Tower.

EDIT: Oh right, voting. I remember the Treasury as being pretty painful, so I'd be interested to see how you get through it.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vampire coffin is the final piece of the "no challenge whatsoever even without sunlight" puzzle. Pop a Rising Sun with or without a Solar Clog's sun-up effect (which you can get an unlimited supply of by just going through Remains over and over), Solarforge something, recharge your energy in approximately no time at all with the Vampire coffin, leave the forge and come back in so you can use Rising Sun again, repeat until your weapon is arbitrarily powerful. If you run out of money for stuff, the Remains give loot worth a total of a few hundred Soll.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or you could randomly find a panel that gives you 15 seconds of invincibility. I think the best part about that trap is that it's got splash damage, if you're just a little bit too close when an enemy sets it off then BLAM, you get to eat poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a tricky process generally. Batform helps, as does ratform since it can set off luring noises anywhere. Black Django in general is awesome for Dream Avenue. Not that I've ever completed a run.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's plenty of loot rooms and corners where enemies aren't patrolling to hide in your coffin. Energy's not the issue, getting randomly screwed over or murdered in 1-2 hits is the real problem. God help you if a Crimson shows up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't be anything but Elefan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Heavy Sigh posted:

Lita lies. Darkness bugs always take energy, regardless of whether you are Black Django or Red Django.

Ah, but both Black and Red Django recharge in the sunlight. Now if you're Sabata, on the other hand...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I know you've been busy with the fangames thread, but any chance of soon-ish being soon-ish? Be a shame to see this abandoned so close to being finished.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I dare you to try out-grinding that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Too much rain in solar boy form will temporarily lock you out of charging from sunlight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Seems like your music links have been removed by the uploader. Don't know about the other voice actors, but Donna Burke (Lady/Dvalinn) was a name I definitely recognised, she sung the title theme for MGS Peace Walker and MGS5 and was in a few other Konami games, including playing Hel in the first Boktai. She's also had a fairly prolific music career, and apparently runs a company that exports Japanese heat pads.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dream Avenue. You can relax with the arena afterwards, heheh...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And it's all canon to both series. Django purifying ShadeMan in 4 is the only reason he's killable in 5, since in 4 you couldn't scratch him without Dark Chips.

Also, in Boktai DS there's a crossover with Star Force, where the first boss from that game shows up and starts wrecking stuff and Aaron and Lucian have to stop him. The reward for that is being able to use Omega-Xis as a non-elemental Terrenial, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well it has been two months since his last post.

• Locked thread