Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

akadajet posted:

People buy rebels to get better pictures, then use that lens because it came with it. Then they get these low contrast, muddy images and think the cameras are crap. Canon is doing themselves no favors with those things.
On the other side of that is someone dumb like me that got frustrated with those junk pictures out of the rebels with kit lenses and upgraded to something better, leading to a slippery slope of me giving Canon a small fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

InternetJunky posted:

On the other side of that is someone dumb like me that got frustrated with those junk pictures out of the rebels with kit lenses and upgraded to something better, leading to a slippery slope of me giving Canon a small fortune.

Please don't look into my future like that. It's kind of unsettling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

89 posted:

Tell me the Sony a6500 is not way more awesome than a Panasonic G8. And I shouldn’t just dump another $600 into it all because it’s a bad bad camera and takes bad pictures and videos eapecially videos

do you like your cameras overheating? although that may be the 6300. Just hold them both and you won't want the sony.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I finally got a nifty fifty and I kinda hate it, I miss my 24mm.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I finally got a nifty fifty and I kinda hate it, I miss my 24mm.

Focal length too long?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

President Beep posted:

Focal length too long?

Yeah, on my t3i it's effectively 80mm, I'm just so used to shooting with a big, wide, deep field rather than a compressed one so it's weird trying to find that same vibe.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, on my t3i it's effectively 80mm, I'm just so used to shooting with a big, wide, deep field rather than a compressed one so it's weird trying to find that same vibe.

I shoot with a Rebel too. The 50 definitely feels long on a crop body. I’ve got a 24mm now too, but before that, I used the kit 18-55 a fair bit for indoor stuff. Just needed to be sure I had plenty of light.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I feel like a 50mm would be great on a full frame but yeah it's too long on a DX body

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love 50mm on a crop, it makes a nice short portrait lens. Not ideal for everything, but what lens is?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love 50mm on a crop, it makes a nice short portrait lens.

I totally agree. I also like using mine for taking pictures of flowers and stuff while out on walks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use my 35mm f1.8 for that, it's a drat good prime lens for such a low cost

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A 50 is a great first portrait lens. That’s it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's also a ghetto macro option with a $20 set of macro tubes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

50mm is great for taking outside pictures of my kids and such inside I wish I had a 35 or 24 for inside.. I'll probably end up buying one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

50mm is great for taking outside pictures of my kids and such inside I wish I had a 35 or 24 for inside.. I'll probably end up buying one.

That’s how things have panned out for me too. Unless I’m trying to snap a quick portrait of my kid, I don’t use my 50 much inside. The 24, on the other hand, was great to have for family Christmas stuff.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Somebody is offering me a body only 6500 for $925 🤔

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

evil_bunnY posted:

A 50 is a great first portrait lens. That’s it.

Oh well, at least I bought it with my Christmas money and it'll fit on the 6D I eventually buy.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh well, at least I bought it with my Christmas money and it'll fit on the 6D I eventually buy.

Don't stress. The nifty fifty is such a popular lens for a reason. Those spending the money on a full frame body aren't usually the same folks rubbing pennies together trying to get good shots out of a hundred dollar lens. My wife loves her fifty and it stays on her camera all the time.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You have to get creative with a 50 on a crop body indoors but you can still get great results. I use my 56 1.2 all the time indoors and it and the 23 1.4 ar the two lenses I use the most on my Fuji. It might not be as versatile as a 50 on a full frame but honestly 50 on a full frame gets pretty boring (even though I have the 35 f2 which is 50mm equivalent I rarely use it) so if you leave the 50 on for a while you’ll find creative ways to use it even in limited space.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why are you looking for "that same vibe" from a completely different lens?

Get better at changing lenses, that's why you have a camera with that feature.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ExecuDork posted:

Why are you looking for "that same vibe" from a completely different lens?

Get better at changing lenses, that's why you have a camera with that feature.

That's the point, it's hard to do the same thing so I'm trying to figure out what works best for a different lens.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Really, if it's your first fixed-length lens, the nifty fifty is more of a revelation for aperture than focal length. Wow, you're suddenly able to take pics indoors at night! Wow, now you get what that whole "bokeh" thing is about! etc.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's not, but there's definitely something satisfying about how big the lens is - the 24mm 2.8 is amazing but that teensy little marble on the front looks so goofy.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Quick question, which Rebels are the ones to avoid right now, that are like basically a crippled previous gen body? Asking for a friend looking to buy her first starter dslr.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Quick question, which Rebels are the ones to avoid right now, that are like basically a crippled previous gen body? Asking for a friend looking to buy her first starter dslr.

I believe it’s the T5i that’s just a worked over T4i. My T6i’s not too bad—new sensor and wifi over the T5i. I don’t know beans about the T7i.

Also, avoid Rebels without the i suffix.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Also, something I wish I’d done before buying a Rebel was check out used/refurbed 70Ds/80Ds. It sounds like there’s a bit of a performance bump and a significant ergonomics upgrade. Depending on where you look, prices are comparable to a brand new Rebel.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Thanks, and yeah i was looking at used 60/70ds to recommend also. I wanna give her some budget leeway to get a sigma 17-50 instead of the kit lens.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Happy hunting, goon. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good game plan.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The SL2, T6 and T7i in the current range should probably be avoided. If you go for a 77D, or a 70/80D you get a top LCD and an extra control wheel which are very much worth it. The 77D fits in between the T7i and the 80D range wise, it's not an upgrade on the 70D despite the usual Canon naming convention.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

The SL2, T6 and T7i in the current range should probably be avoided. If you go for a 77D, or a 70/80D you get a top LCD and an extra control wheel which are very much worth it. The 77D fits in between the T7i and the 80D range wise, it's not an upgrade on the 70D despite the usual Canon naming convention.

What do you know about the T7i, HH? I haven’t seen much on it review-wise.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Over here it's the 800D, which is a straight line update on the three-digit line. It's got the same sensor as the 1300D and the only real ergonomic improvement over that entry level offering is that it has an articulated rear screen. It also has the same limited UI designed for beginners by default (although you can switch it to the standard Canon UI). Technically it does have better AF and faster burst shooting, but it's almost exactly the same price as the 77D which has all of that plus a top LCD, two dials and a better sensor.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How good a deal is this for a first SLR?

https://www.adorama.com/inkd3100krr.html

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Possibly of interest to those new to DSLRs who want to shoot in cold weather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04SSMDYfuE

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Javid posted:

How good a deal is this for a first SLR?

https://www.adorama.com/inkd3100krr.html

Says not available. If you are dead set on a D3100, dont get the red one.

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-d3100-digital-camera-body-14-2-m-p.html Grab the 18-55 DX lens on the cheap and if your budget allows, the 35mm 1.8 lens. As far as I know, KEH is still a great place for used gear.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It was available a month ago when I posted that. :v

I got a rebel of similar cost a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sony RX100 vs Fuji X100: which should I get?

Also, I probably would be buying a used earlier model, which also leads to the question, is there a steep drop off in features as I go back? (I.e. is it worth paying a bit more for one of the newer iterations?)

I finally got rid of my S95 and want something smaller than my DSLR to carry. Budget ... I dunno. Let’s say less is better, definitely not $1200, maybe 5-600 if stretching to that would get me better features.

I’m seeing first editions of each for about 200-250 on eBay, newer models up from there.

Edit: meant to post this in P&S thread, but found its archived. Sorry!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 4, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Chalk and cheese Sony has a worse sensor but zoom. Fujifilm X100 has a cracking sensor but fixed lens.

I’ve owned the X100 since launch and it’s as close to shooting with an old school film camera as you can get, but with that it has it’s quirks and it’s certainly not for the beginner. Focusing time in low light is a bastard, but with that the noise at iso 3200 has a film quality to it rather than a digital mess, so it looks great converted to black and white.

I looked at the original Sony RX100 when choosing a compact zoom for out door stuff and decided that the mark III would be the one in the range to get, but ultimately settled on the Fujifilm X20. Battery life is poo poo but you can pick up spare ones for £10.

This shot and the others in the set were set with the X20 on auto https://flic.kr/p/25nBguj

X100 at iso 3200 in black and white https://flic.kr/p/24CmbuP and colour at iso 2500 https://flic.kr/p/24CmcGD

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Chalk and cheese Sony has a worse sensor but zoom. Fujifilm X100 has a cracking sensor but fixed lens.

I’ve owned the X100 since launch and it’s as close to shooting with an old school film camera as you can get, but with that it has it’s quirks and it’s certainly not for the beginner. Focusing time in low light is a bastard, but with that the noise at iso 3200 has a film quality to it rather than a digital mess, so it looks great converted to black and white.

I looked at the original Sony RX100 when choosing a compact zoom for out door stuff and decided that the mark III would be the one in the range to get, but ultimately settled on the Fujifilm X20. Battery life is poo poo but you can pick up spare ones for £10.

This shot and the others in the set were set with the X20 on auto https://flic.kr/p/25nBguj

X100 at iso 3200 in black and white https://flic.kr/p/24CmbuP and colour at iso 2500 https://flic.kr/p/24CmcGD
Great info, thanks!

The low light thing makes me think RX100 is better for me - I do a lot of photography in iffy lighting. How’s manual focus on the X100? That’s always a possibility as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh it got manual focus and several methods of checking it alright - this demonstrates how to do it and highlights how like a old film camera it really is much better than I can explain it, it’s the x100t but relevant with the latest x100 firmware update http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x100t/shooting/manual-focus/index.html

Edit: it really does hunt and hunt for focus at times indoors.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The x100 is one of the best cameras ever made and other than not having a zoom (which is a plus to some) it blows everything about the Sony out of the water.

• Locked thread