Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's been forever and a day since I played this last, and I realize you're totally right.

But it's still funnier in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

:smug:: The RPG.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think that is standard victory message when all enemies run away.

Yeah, it's the standard message for any fight where you don't gain any XP or cash. Instant-death spells in general in the Lunar games are almost 100% effective against anything that isn't immune, but the catch is that you get no reward for enemies defeated that way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, it's the standard message for any fight where you don't gain any XP or cash. Instant-death spells in general in the Lunar games are almost 100% effective against anything that isn't immune, but the catch is that you get no reward for enemies defeated that way.

Not in the PSP version of Silver Star. Dragon Grief kills all enemies, but you still get experience. I remember it being pretty cheap too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, she's certainly A destroyer, but I have no idea if that makes her THE Destroyer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was planning on a Tuesday and Thursday update schedule, but I got nothin' else to do this weekend, so gently caress it.

Episode 7: Zophar Comin'

So last time, we met a girl from space that may or may not be The Destroyer. But Hiro has a boner is a good judge of character, so she probably isn't.

We do have to walk all the way back down the tower, but the journey is quite faster this time.

Mostly because Lucia don't give no fucks about random battles. Lucia has a handful of crazy overpowered spells, and she has no hesitation about busting them out at the beginning of battle. Ideally, she'll just nuke the joint with her Plasma Rain.

Sometimes, she'll just decide she really hates one particular enemy, and blast them for roughly 800 damage. If Hiro and Gwyn fail to wipe out the rest before the next turn, Lucia will just keep on blastin'.

Finally, she has Thunder Blow, which is just basically Plasma Rain but targeted at a group instead of everybody. Still one-shots anything it touches, because Lucia is a strong independent space woman who don't need no second hits.

Did I mention we still get EXP and cash for all these fights where we don't do poo poo? Because we still get EXP and cash for all these fights where we don't do poo poo.

Hiro doesn't get anything special at level 12, but Gwyn picks up Shattered Sword, which weakens the targeted enemy's attack. I think it only applies to physical damage, though.

You could, in theory, grind here for minimal effort. But Game Arts thought of that, and thus if you grind up to around level 14, this happens.

Thanks to dis astranagant for recording this. Lucia ain't got time for your power leveling!

Level 12 is good enough for the upcoming boss anyway, so let's move on.

Outside, Lucia takes a moment to look around at her new environs.

Look At Lucia Lookin' At Other Things

I bet she was expecting snow.

: "Is this Althena's world?"[/i]

I just like this shot.

: "I do not sense the aura of her magic power."

: "But then, perhaps the evil hides it from my sight."

: "...but what I'm curious about is WHY you have come here, lass."

: "Lucia told Hiro and me that she needs to see the Goddess!"

: "She's come here to meet Althena? Perhaps she involved with The Chosen somehow."

: "Well, it would be nice if she'd answer our questions..."

Hiro's smitten :3:

Let's see what's up with Lu.

: "Even though I call out to her with my mind, I cannot sense Althena's presence in this world. How can I have been brought here without being summoned by the Goddess?"

DUN DUN DUN

ALSO A VIDEO

: "MWAHAHAHA!"

OH poo poo SON

: "Yes, sweet Lucia, it's been a long time, my dear. I'm crushed that you haven't stayed in touch."

: "I have been sleeping in a crystal for centuries. Also, I do not like you."

: "But I'm very patient. I know what you'll come around to my way of thinking...eventually."

*ZORT*

: "Uhh...!"

: "GREAT SCOTT!"

: "Althena. Ho, ho, ho! Sweet Lucia, why don't you ask her yourself?"

: "Oh, dear! I forgot...you don't know where she is. What a pity!"

: "Zophar, I will not allow you to corrupt this world!"

Lucia powers up...

...and fizzles out.

: "Oh, no...w..w...what happened?"

: "I'm afraid I had to seal away the power of the Four Dragons."

: "It was surprisingly easy. Really, any villain with a suitably smug voice could have done it."

: "You see, very soon, you will be all that stands between me and universal domination!"

: "Aaaaaahhhhhhh!"

Lucia gets zapped by evil purple lightning.

: "Okay, I'm ready to go on a planet spanning journey to kick this dude's butt."

: "...you are nothing more than a helpless bug, waiting to be crushed."

: "Well, crushed eventually. I could kill you right now, but there are rules to being an ancient evil, my dear."

: "I..."

: "Save your breath, child. You'll need it to find Althena..."

: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

: "I just did! See ya!"

*UN-ZORT*

: "HOLY CRAP!"

: "That was...not what I was expecting when I woke up this afternoon!"

: "It seems this Zophar fellow has cursed Lucia's soul...and if we don't break it, she will die."

: "How can you tell that just by looking at her?"

: "I'unno."

Lucia has been cursed with Shatner-ism! What a cruel fate.

: "Young lady, save your strength. You can tell us all about it later. Maybe one of my book will give us a clue about how we can break this wretched curse."

: "Come, Hiro! We have to get her back to the house at once!"

: "You can walk, right Lucia?"

: "The...the pain...its...unspeakable..."

: "She'll be fine."

Well, Lucia has been thoroughly plot-zapped, and is now barely conscious. As such, she is stuck at a permanent 1 HP and can do nothing in combat but defend and mutter about what a douche ZOPHAR is.

Even a trip to the Goddess Statue won't fix her up, but we should probably hit it up all the same. Maybe save our game, too...

As we make for the exit, Ruby stops us to freak out about the return of Ganon or whatever that was.

: "And why did he put a curse on poor Lucia? I don't understand any of this."

: "I figure he did it cuz he's an evil jerk."

: "Zo-Zophar...king of jerks!"

: "See? Pretty simple, honestly."

: "Hiro, I'm scared. We're in the middle of something WAY too big for us to handle. If we hadn't taken the Dragon Eye Jewel from the Ruins, none of this would have happened..."

: "I'm pretty sure all of this stuff would've still happened, we just wouldn't have been involved without the Jewel."

: "Exactly!"

Let's get out of here before ZOPHAR comes back and laughs at us again.

welp

: "Now we'll have to fight our way outside, kids!"

: "Are you kidding, Grandpa?! Look at the size of that thing! There has to be another way!"

Maybe Ruby's right. Maybe if we just creep along the far wall...

poo poo

Boss Tunes

So, we meet the first boss of Lunar 2, the Guardian. The Guardian isn't too tough, largely because he doesn't have any real tricks. Just a huge rear end monster that hits crazy hard.

The closest thing he has to a gimmick is the ability to buff his physical stats. We can counteract this by having Gwyn hit him with both Shattered Sword and Fractured Armor. After that, Gwyn's basically on healing duty until the Guardian buffs himself again.

Once Fractured Armor is in place, Hiro should proceed to go nuts with Poe Sword. The Guardian doesn't have any weaknesses, so we just hit him Hiro's strongest attack as much as we can.

The Guardian's main attack is slithering over and smashing the gently caress outta someone with his mace. Hiro's the designated tank, so he'll be taking it on the chin for most of the fight.

When he starts spinning his mace overhead, he's about to unleash his third attack.

It's another slam attack, but this one kicks up an explosion that damages anyone nearby the target. That's why I've used the Defend command to send Gwyn way the gently caress over there. Lucia is still AI controlled, but she'll also try to stay as far away from the giant snake man as possible.

Both attacks do roughly the same amount of damage, in the range of 20~30 HP, but he can also land critical hits, which may result in tears. Generally, though, this is just a battle of attrition. As long as you're properly leveled and diligent about keeping Hiro's health up, it's not too bad.

But what if you are terrible? What if you're so bad that you trap the Guardian in the corner with your own battered corpses so he can't reach Lucia and properly wipe out the party?

: "He almost killed Hiro and Grandpa!"

: "That big bully!"

Ruby taps into the RULES OF NATURE and takes that mo-fo down in one hit! This little easter egg only kicks in if both Hiro and Gwyn are down AND the Guardian can't reach Lucia in less than two moves. Just a cute little way to keep you from getting stuck in an eternal stalemate.

Either way, the Guardian's dead and we can move on.

Nothing has changed in the basement of the Blue Spire, so we'll just skip it.

Well, ain't that a bitch?

: "The rest of the Guardians have come to life?! This is bad, Hiro! Very, very BAD!"

: "Don't worry, guys! I'll protect you!"

: "Well, dang."

: "RULES OF NATURE!"

: "Did you do that, Hiro?!"

: "...yes?"

JUSTICE

Leo :swoon:

: "You are fortunate indeed to have witnessed the awesome power of the Goddess Althena."

: "And I intend to use that power to capture the Destroyer which has come to the Blue Spire!"

: (But all we found in the Blue Spire was Lucia...)

I still think lines consisting of nothing but ellipses indicates flatulence. I have seen no convincing evidence to the contrary.

Y'know, we just met the Destroyer. It's ZOPHAR. He has a super evil voice, said super evil things, cursed Lucia, and did several evil laughs. Lu even referred to him as "The Destroyer"! Can we please stop pretending Lucia might be even slightly sinister?

: "I warned you not to come here, Gwyn, and yet you disregarded my advice. If I hadn't arrived when I did, you would have paid for your foolishness with your life!"

I fukkin' love you, Leo :allears:

You can just gently caress right off, cat.

: "I guess Althena's Guard values combat skills a lot higher than social skills!"

: "Well, they are an army devoted to killing monsters, so...?"

: "Shut up, Hiro."

Well, I guess we can go now.

Leo fuckin' KARATE FLIPS down to the ground as his posse runs up like a bunch of chumps.

: "She was assualted by a monster at the top of the Spire! It leapt at her from a magical sphere! We barely escaped its clutches! If you hurry, you may still be able to catch it!"

: "A monster in a magical sphere, you say? At the highest floor of the Spire?"

: "Exactly as I suspected! Lucia the Destroyer is within the Spire!"

: "Follow me, men! We must find Lucia and capture the creature before it escapes into our world!"

And so, Leo and the Xtacles rush off to save the world

: "Hurry, kids! We must get Lucia back to the house! She's getting weaker by the moment..."

And so, Hiro and the gang just kinda...slink off.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 25, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Which is better, Leo or his justice laser? The answer is yes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I love that attention to detail in the bossfight, allowing Ruby to come to your rescue if you hosed up in a very specific way. Someone on the QA team for this game was creative, because I can guarantee you that little bit of scripting wasn't in the design spec.

Also, your inserted dialog continues to amuse. Keep it up! :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crowetron posted:

I still think lines consisting of nothing but ellipses indicates flatulence. I have seen no convincing evidence to the contrary.

That makes Final Fantasy 8 a much more interesting game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Having played this game, and beaten this game, and seeing this game again now...

...I still don't know what the gently caress Zophar ZOPHAR actually is.

I mean, besides a dark presence with a hammy-as-gently caress voice, who is not only evil but also kind of a dick.

Later encounters with it will not clear this up in the slightest :argh:.

So, I guess ZOPHAR is actually kind of cool thay way.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mazed posted:

Having played this game, and beaten this game, and seeing this game again now...

I mean, besides a dark presence with a hammy-as-gently caress voice, who is not only evil but also kind of a dick.

My problem with it is you can either be an unknowable, terrifying alien force or a smug dick, but never both at once. It just sorta ruins the whole mystique.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So Zophar is a pardody version of Sauron? I'm not sure I have a problem with that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Mazed posted:

Zophar is a dick. I wouldn't think about it any harder than that.

While Zophar is not a very... complex villain, at the very least he's always entertaining. Considering how often JRPGs fail at making deep sympathetic villains (and I think the remake of the first game falls under that trap, albeit it's better than some) sometimes it's nice just to have a "MWHAHA" villain.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's what I like about Zophar. He's evil just because. And he's probably the one villain like that who I'm OK with for being that way. He just does it so well.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I want to make so many "Zophar away" puns, it hurts. It just seems to appropriate for a guy who's having the time of his life heckling the good guys. I don't even think he wants to take over the world, he just enjoys the gloating that comes with the job.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
The music in this game is just so drat good. Zophar's theme, the boss music, Justice...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ZOPHAR is the simplest villain in the world. Althena is God, so he's the Devil. Done. And it works, because Lunar doesn't need a deep, philosophical villain with a convoluted backstory. Dude's super evil, go kick his rear end.

Fun fact: ZOPHAR actually has a portrait sprite tucked away in the game's files. The devs dropped it, presumably to make his eventual reveal more dramatic. I toyed around with the idea of using it for the dialogue bits, but decided the devs probably knew what they were doing. Also, Ganon's funnier.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Original Translation was Zone Pharaoh, which is dumb, ZOPHAR is totes evil to the core.

JRPGs of the day all try to be needlessly complex, it's rubbish. There's no shame in a simple super evil guy who is evil for evil's sake.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I just love how Game Arts thought of everything and made Lucia use Solar Bomb to prevent powerlevelling in the spire after a certain point. Of course, I never realized that would happen until you pointed it out as I would just leave after Gwyn learns Shattered Sword. O_o

I am looking forward to the rest of the run. I'm keeping an eye on this Let's Play. :3

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Jenner posted:

Original Translation was Zone Pharaoh, which is dumb, ZOPHAR is totes evil to the core.

JRPGs of the day all try to be needlessly complex, it's rubbish. There's no shame in a simple super evil guy who is evil for evil's sake.

Depends on the story of course. In a war game where your ultimate foe is some sort of Emperor or King or whatever, being Evil Because They Are Evil is sort of distracting; humans don't go around doing evil just for its own sake unless something is very wrong with them, in which case why are they in charge?

This sort of globe trotting save the world adventure though? ZOPHAR is evil because that's the nature of ZOPHAR. Judging from the murals we see, it's not far fetched to think he's just the God of Death and Destruction, the natural counterpart to Althena the Life Goddess. A force of nature like that can (and SHOULD) just have that as their natural mode. They are what they are, neither more nor less.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

iirc, Zophar is :siren:the darkness inside human hearts:siren: or something, so basically your standard embodiment of evil.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, Zophar just is. He gives himself a million epithets but it all comes down to being smug and making people kill each other for his amusement.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, Zophar is :siren:the darkness inside human hearts:siren: or something, so basically your standard embodiment of evil.
No, nothing so pedantic as all that.

Actually, ZOPHAR is the magically created mirror opposite twin of Althena's Nobody, Laxanthe. In turn, Laxantha is the cast off body of Althena's Heartless, Ridiculoxus.

It all makes sense in context.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Depends on the story of course. In a war game where your ultimate foe is some sort of Emperor or King or whatever, being Evil Because They Are Evil is sort of distracting; humans don't go around doing evil just for its own sake unless something is very wrong with them, in which case why are they in charge?

This sort of globe trotting save the world adventure though? ZOPHAR is evil because that's the nature of ZOPHAR. Judging from the murals we see, it's not far fetched to think he's just the God of Death and Destruction, the natural counterpart to Althena the Life Goddess. A force of nature like that can (and SHOULD) just have that as their natural mode. They are what they are, neither more nor less.

That's always been how I've viewed him too. He's just Althena's dark (and smug) counterpart, nothing more and nothing less.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I just love how quick witted Hiro was here getting Leo and the goonsquad off their backs. I can think of about ten jRPG heroes who faced NPC guys barely smarter or dumber or the same as Leo and not be able to Bugs Bunny their way out of it like he has.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SerSpook posted:

That's always been how I've viewed him too. He's just Althena's dark (and smug) counterpart, nothing more and nothing less.
Welp, ZOPHAR's voice is now James Woods as Hades. Originally I went with Tony Jay as Megabyte, but that's more of a classy kinda smug. ZOPHAR strikes me as more of an oily, sleazy kinda smug, which is totally Woods' Hades.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

By the way, I tallied up those votes, and Blue beat Silver by one vote! 9 to 8! Eternally Blue it is!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Awesome. Silver's kinda hard to read off of anyway.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mazed posted:

As others have said, it isn't really clear and on some level doesn't need to be clear because he's there, roll with it. They do drop a couple hints throughout the story, though, which I suppose we can all look at once they come up. Properly following that rabbit hole also raises questions about the nature of what Althena and Lucia are, which is double frustrating because they clearly know but we as players and viewers never really get that answer completely straight.

Also, I have to admit: I had not appreciated until now to what level Leo is The Best. :allears: And he isn't even at his best yet! Though it might've been obscured in my mind because, god, does he have a couple dumbo moments coming up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

As others have said, it isn't really clear and on some level doesn't need to be clear because he's there, roll with it. They do drop a couple hints throughout the story, though, which I suppose we can all look at once they come up. Properly following that rabbit hole also raises questions about the nature of what Althena and Lucia are, which is double frustrating because they clearly know but we as players and viewers never really get that answer completely straight.

Yeah. At least until we get more story bits here, it's probably best to take everything totally at face value: It's a fantasy world. When the Blue Star was populated, it too was a fantasy world (and not, say, literally post-apocalyptic Earth, which some might be inclined to believe). Something which probably involves Zophar hosed it up. Lunar was a moon (explicity true, the first game even had some more "moon-like" environments), and now it supports life because wizards did it. Althena being said wizard(s).

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, I have to admit: I had not appreciated until now to what level Leo is The Best. :allears: And he isn't even at his best yet! Though it might've been obscured in my mind because, god, does he have a couple dumbo moments coming up.

A character like Leo would be impossible to appreciate without him being a complete bonehead most of the time.

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
This was the game that got me into Jrpg's, for better or worse. I love the tone and characters in it, especially Zophar. He is just the smuggest dick. Crowetron you're doing a great job on this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I love both Lunar SSSC and Lunar 2 EBC. They're so lighthearted and fluffy but in a good way, the music is overall pretty great, the characters are mostly fun (if not deep). Just such a fun pair of games.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

gently caress, I just got this:

Crowetron posted:

And so, Leo and the Xtacles rush off to save the world

Million-dollar reference, sir.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know how low effort I will be the next time I fight that boss.

ZOPHAR is ZOAH's cousin, trapped in another world.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't even say Hiro was lying to Leo. I mean, he's got the name wrong, but that sort of thing creeps in all the time when you're dealing with manually reproduced records. Leo's probably up there right now lookin' around for the fair maiden Zophar.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, to be fair, he DID find her up in a room at the top of the tower, and she WAS attacked by a strange monster... At worst, Hiro's story is a half-truth.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 8: LARPin'

Last time, we managed to narrowly escape the Blue Spire and Leo's goon squad thanks to Leo being a doofus Hiro's cunning.

Also, Lucia got cursed by Space Lucifer or whatever, so we'd better get her back to Gwyn's so she can rest.

Hiro and Gwyn actually help Lucia stumble into the house, which is a nice touch.

One time, I ate a hot dog from a 7-11, so I can relate to Lucia right now.

They help the space lady over to the couch, where she almost immediately collapses.

: "I'll go downstairs and find a book that tells us how to break the cruse."

: "What should I do? Do I get her water or something? What if she starts, like, coughing up blood? Grandpa?"

: "Books, books, books. I love books."

: "..."

While Lucia writhes in agony, we can actually wander around the house and take a look at the one book I missed earlier.

Gwyn's to-do list!

: Dragon Tower Ruins, Star Dragon Tower, Goddess Tower, Blue Spire. (Especially the Spire...)

If you guessed we'll be exploring all of those ruins, you win absolutely nothing! Anyway, we should probably make sure Lucia doesn't swallow her tongue or anything.

: "Z-Zophar...I...can't...AHH!"

: "Leo said she was the Destroyer. Do you think she really is?"

: "Did...did you miss all that stuff with ZOPHAR back there? The creepy evil guy who warped us into a dimension of nightmares, electro-cursed Lucia, and talked a bunch about how much he loves being evil and destroying things?"

: "There could be two Destroyers, ya never know."

: "Ruby, I'm pretty sure the angelic lady on a quest to save the world is not, in fact, the Destroyer."

: "You don't have to be such a jerk about it. Do you think I'm stupid or something?"

: "We can't look for her yet, Lucia. You have to rest until we figure out how to lift this curse."

: "No...time...Zophar...will..."

Lucia rises from the couch...

...and nearly falls flat on her face.

: "Zophar is...the essence of evil."

: "The king of jerks!"

: "His strength grows...with each passing moment. If he regains control...of the power...he once held...this world will be...destroyed."

: "Told ya."

: "Shut up, Hiro."

: "I came...to stop him..."

: "Ahhhh! Such...pain..."

Hiro helps Lucia back to the couch.

: "Zophar said that...he sealed away their power. And if...the Dragons are helpless...then only the power of the Goddess herself...will be able to stop...Zophar's madness. That is why I am...searching for Althena, and that is why you humans must...help me!"

: "Then Leo IS wrong! Lucia came here to SAVE our world, not to destroy it! I can't wait until that arrogant hair-splitter realizes how wrong he is about you, Lucia!"

: "You mean the one who referred to me as...the Destroyer?"

: "He cannot understand the true nature of my existence, nor can any human. That is all I can tell you, and for your safety, all you must know..."

Lu's kinda overselling the mysterious nature of herself here. She has one of the least convoluted JRPG Heroine back-stories I can think of. But we'll get to that in due time. For now, we need to talk to her again to continue the scene.

: "What does she mean by that, Hiro? Is Lucia trying to tell us that...she's not human?"

: "I...am...unghh..."

Gwyn shouts this from the basement, then returns to us upstairs.

: "And what if we can't find a priest, Grandpa? What else can we do to save Lucia?"

: "There's nothing else we can do, Hiro. I fear that Lucia's life is..."

I dunno how you could forget that you're an old-timey prospector, dag gummit!

: "I believe there's a priest by the name of Ronfar in the village of Larpa."

: "I knew his father back in the day, and he's a good kid. I just pray he can help us. Larpa is on the opposite side of the lake, and you don't have the time to journey there on foot..."

: "Plus, there's like hills and stuff in way. Can't get through those without a dungeon or two."

: "...so you'll have to use the boat. I'll get it ready while you bring Lucia outside, alright, m'boy?"

So, Gwyn walks over to the balcony in his living room that overlooks his boat. What, you don't have one of those?

Then he just fuckin' jumps a good twenty feet down to reach it. Pretty impressive for an octogenarian.

Then he steps inside and some unseen mechanism tows the boat out of the house and across the lawn to the lake. Why doesn't he just keep it in the water?

: "Yes, we must leave at once."

: "Lucia, I know you're not feeling very well..."

: "...but I need to make sure we're straight about something."

uhhh?!

Lucia, no, don't say anything, let's just drop this line of thought immediately.

: "I mean you shouldn't get too close to Hiro, because you'd be setting yourself up for a fall."

: "Now I understand. You mean that Hiro tends to trip people who get too close. I will remember to walk several paces behind him in the future."

: "No, no, no! That's not what I meant! You're too dense to be a threat to me...let's just go!"

: "Ha! That sure was an interesting conversation that didn't just happen! I love it when things don't happen and I definitely do not hear them!!"

Outside, Hiro helps Lucia down the stairs.

: "What do you mean, Grandpa? Aren't you coming with us?"

: "Lord, no, little one!"

: "I heard what you said in there. And besides..."

: "I'm just too old for this sort of thing now...I know you'll be fine. I've taught you well, Hiro, and you're a bright boy. You make me proud."

: "But, Grandpa..."

: "no buts about it, young man! Besides, I've got a million books to catch up on...so get moving!"

And so, we say goodbye to Grandpa Gwyn. As far as old men living in the wilderness with young boys go, you were pretty cool. Maybe we'll see you again later. Another time, on another disc.

Let's take dis boat!

Boat Tunes!

So here's our first vehicle of the game! It even gets new traveling music!

And now we're done with it forever. Back to the regular world map song. See ya in Hell, boat!

From there, it's a short, uneventful trek south to reach Larpa.

Town Theme

Welcome to Larpa, the first proper town of the game. Which means we get introduced to our first shops, directly ahead of us, and more importantly, a truckload of NPCs to chat with!

: "Larpa's a great town, but it's also crawlin' with criminals and you're a little too, uh, fresh-faced. You might want to explore Dalton, the port city to the west. I hear there even have law enforcers there!"

That's encouraging. We can even talk to her a second time to get more info.

: "You seem like a nice bunch of kids, but you're causin' the pickpockets in this town to drool. Why don't you all walk west to Dalton instead of hangin' around here and temptin' fate?"

Or, we could just stop in the shop and spend all our cash before anyone can steal it! I'm a genius!

: "...but that's just what Papa told me to tell you, do don't be sad! Are you going to buy something?"

What a nice kid. Anyway, the shop has basic Healing Herbs for sale as well as Purity Herbs, which cure Poison. A few of the latter might be nice to pick up, but we're pretty good on the former for the moment. The Leather Armor is better than the Adventurer Clothes we're wearing at the moment, and the Leather Hat is better headgear than our current Nothing. We'll also want to pick up the Mace and a second set of leather gear for...reasons.

The Short Sword (or really long dagger, and the game puts it) is stronger than our Ancient Dagger, but worse in every other way. Since the Dagger gets two hits, it still wins in terms of total damage, so there's no need to drop silver on this Sword.

I drop pretty much all our cash here, since we'll get plenty more in short order.

We can hit up the Althena Statue for free healing, but we don't need that right now, so let's talk to the fella in front of it.

: "You're looking Ronfar? What kind of business do you kids have with that filthy dog? I still can't believe that low-life cheated me out of my house in a game of 'chance'. I know those dice were as loaded as the losers who stumble out of the tavern on 'cheap drinks' night!"

Ah, the 90's :allears:. I probably won't be bothering to transcribe everything every single person has to say, but I'll make sure to show off the interesting or funny ones.

We can also snag a free Revive from behind Althena's Statue. Towns in this game usually have at least a few little hidden treasures.

: "There's a critter named Joe in the seventh camel race of the day, and he's gonna make me filthy rich! All I need is a little cash to place the bet...the gamblers in this town aren't big on IOUs."

: "And why should we give our money to a gambler who's lost all of his OWN cash?!"

Ha, remember Joe Camel? Remember when there was not only a cartoon mascot for cigarettes, but there was a cartoon mascot for cigarettes that looked like he had a cock and balls hanging off his face?

There's the local tavern, but we're looking for a priest, remember. He probably won't be in there.

: "And when the dice are in his big, strong hands, it's magic. Ronfar always gets the roll he needs!"

: "He always gets the roll he needs?! They don't call that magic, they call it cheating!"

: "Ronfar would never cheat. He's too noble and handsome and gorgeous to try something like that. I'm convinced that the dice are as swayed by his charm as I am!"

All the women in town seem to be hot for Ronfar. But the Ronfar we're looking for is a priest, so this gambler guy must be some other Ronfar. What? Ronfar is a common name!

We can also see that Sandships like Leo's Destiny are fairly common. I guess the secret to fast land travel is just to take a boat and put feets on it.

: "Whatever that cargo is, mister, it smells great!"

: "It's pickled Salyan cactus, and it's very popular in Nota and Meribia. That's where this batch is headed. It's pretty good by itself, but the only REAL way to eat it is with a foamy, frosty mug of ale!"

Also people eat cactus. Well, it is a desert, so whatever.

The localization in these games is great, by the way.

: "Who are you calling freaky, goober? I'm a Red Dragon, and you better show some respect!"

: "Wah, hah, hah! I didn't know that they started putting Red Dragons in bite-sized packages!"

: "Oh, really? Well, I'll have you know that biting is just one of my many talents. Observe!"

: "You BURNED me, you runt!"

: "Now then. What do you have to say for yourself, ignorant pig? I'd suggest 'I'm sorry'."

: "Well, you can breath fire, alright, ya lousy furry lizard..."

: "WHAT did you say?!"

You're alright, Ruby.

Oh, hey, a chapel! That seems like a good place to look for a priest!

: "...although they didn't exactly receive a warm welcome from the owners of the gambling dens. The priest of the Sanctuary say the end of the world is at hand. I think they may be right!"

Hmmm, it looks like Althena's faithfuls are called The Chosen. And Leo's not the only one with the end of times on his mind.

If I remember the church folk from the first game correctly, priests of Althena tend to be pretty chill. Or secret evil strippers, one or the other.

: "Forgive them, Goddess, for these hedonistic heathens know not what they do! If only these peasant understood that singing, dancing, drinking, and gambling are sinful acts!"

Apparently, they have gone full Footloose-style crazy in the intervening thousand years. Particularly since singing was like, Althena's favorite thing ever in the first game. Maybe they still at least have an open door policy with Althena's HQ?

: "Not just anyone can be allowed to enter the presence of the Goddess herself!"

: "Yes...Althena is in the holy city."

Hmmm. Well, maybe they're just being extra careful since last time Althena showed up, she got kidnapped by a lunatic with a doom castle.

: "...and that he was even allowed into Pentagulia! How did such a ridiculous rumor get started?"

Well, one way or another, it looks like we're gonna be heading to Pentagulia once we get Lucia patched up.

: "Thanks for the suggestion, old man, but we're not here to pray."

: "We've come here to chat with a priest named Ronfar! Have you seen him around?"

: "Ronfar?! That notorious rascal has nothing to do with us! Ronfar was one of The Chosen, but that was long, LONG ago!"

That doesn't sound good.

: "It's...not...not that great..."

: "You know what they should do to the Sanctuary? they should rip the roof off! Don't you guys think so?"

: "Not to crush your hopes and dreams, blondie, but what will you do when it rains?"

: "Well, okay, but you know what they COULD do? They could paint the Blue Star on the ceiling! You know what else we could do? We could rip off the roof and ask Althena to never let it rain again!"

: "Heh, heh, heh! Every new idea this girl comes up with is sillier than the last one!"

: "Hiro, don't be so rude to her! Don't you know that all blonde girls are 'special'?"

: "Watch your rear end, Pinky."

: "The more money you give to the Goddess, the more she will rejoice in your kindness. I see suspicion in your eyes, boy. You must have faith in Althena, or your donations mean nothing!"

We can heal at the Statue inside the Sanctuary, but for 100 silver a pop. Althena never charged for healing before. What does God need with a bank account?

: "The people of Larpa aren't just a bunch of heathens--they're also a bunch of tightwads! Who are you? I'm sorry young man, but donations to Althena are strictly non-refundable."

: "Uh...I'm not here for a refund."

: "My friend has been cursed, and we've come here to find a priest who can lift it."

: "His name is Ronfar. Can you introduce us to him? He's gotta be around here somewhere!"

: "Ronfar?! That heathen has never set foot in this Sanctuary, and he never will! I'm appalled that you would dare to invoke such an infamous name in this sacred place! All that Ronfar will lift from your cursed friend is her money pouch, rest assured of that!"

: "What?! B-but Grandpa Gwyn told us..."

: "I don't care WHAT you heard. If you want to find Ronfar, search the tavern, not the Sanctuary."

: "..."

: "Then can you lift the curse?"

: "You got any money?"

: "No..."

: "Then beat it, kid, you bother me."

Well, that was a bust. At least we can find a treasure chest stashed behind the Sanctuary.

Let's scope out this house while we're in the neighborhood.

: "They claim to do the good work of the Goddess, but all they seem to do is collect people's hard-earned cash. If you really need some medical attention, why don't you wait 'til Ronfar comes back home?"

Well, this seems to be Ronnie's house, but I don't think we can really afford to sit around a wait. We can find a note stuck to the door, though.

Interesting. We should probably go hit up the tavern, though.

Nice place. I was honestly expecting something much crummier.

: "There was once a time when I was one of the most popular singers in all of Meriba!"

Can we get the violent, alcoholic waitress in our party? That would be awesome.

: "I have a blue birthmark on my butt in the shape of the Blue Star. It's a sign of Althena's blessing!"

: "Three words, pal: too much information!"

: "And are you sure it's not just a bruise from getting your butt kicked in bar fights?"

: "Althena herself has blessed me, and I intend yo use my special powers to win this drinking contest! If I start feeling drunk, all I have to do is rub the birthmark on my butt for strength. I dunno why it works, but it does!"

: "The only downer is that no one wants to shake my hand when I win...even if drinks are on me!"

Let's Play Lunar 2: Rubbing Our Butts For Strength

Who's this suave lookin' motherfucker over here?

: "I ain't no stinkin' priest, okay?! I mean, do I look like a priest to you?! Now get out of my sight, you little trouble makers, and don't come back here again!"

: "Unless, of course, you feel like rolling the bones..."

Well, THAT wasn't him. Man, where is this Ronfar guy?

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 7, 2013

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Ahhh... NPC chatter. At once my favorite and least favorite part of doing Lunar LPs...

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Interesting that Althena's church has managed to become entirely disconnected from its goddess while said goddess is on the damned planet. It's not everyday that jerks ruin a religion while the founder of the church is still alive and kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
...is that Lord Yuna?

Well, that does bode well, I'm sure the new church is truly benevolent and definitely won't turn out to be a bunch of Destroyer-worshipping/duped cultists :v:

• Locked thread