Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Crowetron posted:

"Don't say that, Mauri. You have no idea ho I torment myself with the knowledge that I turned you into this!"

This is the best typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
We need a bonus video with Mystere's battle quotes because they are the most wonderful thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

We need a bonus video with Mystere's battle quotes because they are the most wonderful thing.

You need a spanking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I searched on YouTube and found a couple. Ehh, they're okay I guess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
In the original, Mauri drank Zophar's blood.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Discipline feels good, hah! Mystere is literally my best memory of this game, for what should be obvious reasons. So great. :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Fang of JUSTICE! :black101:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 22, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait, do they not make you pay for statues of Althena under Pentagulia? They do in the original. Not that much, it's mostly just an annoyance. I actually find this part of the original pretty hard. I'm not sure if that's because Hiro and his Masked Friend are little weaker in that version or if that games' version of the Assassins loving suck.

Oh, and I need to know: do they let you steal Mystere's equipment in this version?

Actually, the two statues in Leo's office cost 100 bucks to use. The one underground is totally free, though. I'd be willing to bet that this version's Assassins have been nerfed somehow, because they really are jokes.

And no, you cannot steal from JUSTICE ITSELF!!!

neongrey posted:

There's a vocal version, if you enjoy that sort of thing; they actually had a lot of serious names in the Japanese voice cast. I think it's a fun song, but my teenage years have deadened anything resembling good taste I might ever have had.

I kinda dig it. It reminds me of the opening theme of Patlabor, which is appropriate because both Patlabor and Lunar are upbeat comedies wearing the trappings of a generally less bubbly genre.

Old Boot posted:

This is the best typo.

For big dialogue dumps, I'm honestly mostly just copy and pasting from a transcript, so that one's not my fault! Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Crowetron posted:

And no, you cannot steal from JUSTICE ITSELF!!!

Well then gently caress this game.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Maybe a spoiler?

Actually, don't they reveal that later on? You know, I went back and looked at it again, and in the original they don't actually tell you why Ronfar might have caused Mauri's madness. They keep it vague for a while longer.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 22, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't even know how to decide what the best thing about this update is. I saw the title "Tuxedo Mask" and thought "no way" and then? Way. Then it took me a second or two just to process what I was seeing. And then bashful Borgan. And then everyone's reactions to Leo. And then the update was over, that was not so cool. But still, this game just keeps cementing its status as the best JRPG. Too bad it isn't fun to play at all. :(

quote:

I think the thread would've called it right away if I left your voice clips in.
The thread called it right away anyway. :colbert:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

But still, this game just keeps cementing its status as the best JRPG. Too bad it isn't fun to play at all. :(

You know, I keep hearing this about Lunar games, and I don't get it at all. No, the Lunar games have never been exceptional gameplay-wise, but that's true of a lot of JRPGs. Lunar games are pretty run of the mill, but I don't see how they're so hard or grueling or exceptionally tedious to play. Especially the remakes. Well, okay, the PSX remake of Lunar 1 was a fair bit harder than the original and wore you down a bit, but this version of Lunar 2 is not really hard at all. (And for all my bitching, the original Lunar 2 isn't really that hard either, especially for a game from 1994.) Maybe I'm just too old.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think he's talking about Dragon Song.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, I meant this one. It's not that the game is hard or anything, the actual combat system is just really really slow and boring. I used to wonder why I had never heard of this game despite the great writing. Now I figure it's because nobody can be arsed to get that far.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Camel Pimp posted:

Well, okay, the PSX remake of Lunar 1 was a fair bit harder than the original and wore you down a bit, but this version of Lunar 2 is not really hard at all.

Did the original release of Lunar 1 do the thing the PSX version did where all the bosses' stats were calculated based off of Alex's level, which made it so that grinding actually made the game harder in some spots?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Camel Pimp posted:

Well then gently caress this game.

Actually, don't they reveal that later on? You know, I went back and looked at it again, and in the original they don't actually tell you why Ronfar might have caused Mauri's madness. They keep it vague for a while longer.
They never named the potion he gave to Mauri. It totally came out of left field in the original since no one knows who the gently caress Zophar is or how Ronfar got it. Don't see how it is spoilers since she has long been cursed.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

W.T. Fits posted:

Did the original release of Lunar 1 do the thing the PSX version did where all the bosses' stats were calculated based off of Alex's level, which made it so that grinding actually made the game harder in some spots?

No. The Silver Star and Silver Star Story have very little in common, and basically none of what they do share is gameplay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You know, I realize it's the blood talking, but I'd love it if Mauri was this unintentionally sinister after we pulled her out of the darkness.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The best plot twist of all; you help exorcize a spirit from someone only to find that the raging lunatic is the real personality.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

No, I meant this one. It's not that the game is hard or anything, the actual combat system is just really really slow and boring. I used to wonder why I had never heard of this game despite the great writing. Now I figure it's because nobody can be arsed to get that far.

The combat is fine if you power through everything with spells. The problem is that they jacked up the prices of Starlights compared to SSSC, so you often have to choose between Starlight splurging or getting new equipment. There's also some cases later on where you need to conserve your magic for a boss at the end of a dungeon and you don't have enough money to max out on Starlights so you can refresh when you get to the boss. One particular dungeon requires you save up your MP for a physical-attack resistant boss at the end, but puts in a ton of enemies between you and it. Unless you have a godly amount of money, you have to slowly plink everything to death with physical attacks and weak spells. Since it's packed with enemies, it's going to take a while.

In SSSC, Starlights are much cheaper, you can hold a lot more, and the White Dragon Wings can warp you back to cities that sell Starlights, so powering through dungeons with the best spells you have is almost always the best thing to do. Once you figure out enemy weaknesses, even the final dungeons are piss-easy. Alex and Mia together can kill almost everything in one turn.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Flytrap posted:

The best plot twist of all; you help exorcize a spirit from someone only to find that the raging lunatic is the real personality.

I think there was something like this in X-Men Evolution. actually. Long story short, Professor X's son had multiple personalities, and Xavier ended up mind-diving to try and drive out all but the normal, sane personality, which he apparently does, only to find out that the evil personality switched places (somehow) and X just basically wiped out his son's real personality, leaving only the evil one.

At least, that's how TV Tropes has it. I haven't watched the series in ages and don't remember that arc.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Flytrap posted:

Wasn't that an episode of Angel?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

What are you talking about? Mystere is clearly Gwyn, helping out his grandson.

Uh, Mystere is Lunn, guys. It's been pretty obvious since like six updates ago. :rolleyes:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Mystere is Hiro. Prison is messing with his head.
" They must be stopped, Hiro. Ghaleon...Borgan...Lunn; all must die."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Mystere is Borgan. The twist is that he was in a fat suit all along! He's actually quite the hunk.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You people are bonkers. Mystere is obviously the current incarnation of the real Althena.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only thing we can be sure of is that Mystere can't be Leo. I mean, every one in the party thinks it is, which means they've obviously gotta be wrong. That's how JRPGs work.

Besides, Leo's too mild-mannered to be such a dashing, hot-blooded hero of JUSTICE.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So. While the forums are down I stumbled across my decade old CDs of Lunar 'image' songs. They're one of those only-in-Japan things, featuring the voice actors singing in-character (and in Japanese, if that wasn't obvious). Make no mistake, this is every bit as cheesy as it sounds. Possibly moreso! However, this thread is the only place where Lunar-related nonsense could conceivably belong, and I can probably unearth translations from the geocities fanpages of eons past.

Croweton, it's up to you whether I should be posting these or not. I won't claim they're good but they probably qualify as amusing, if nothing else.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On a scale from "trash" to "god tier Luna boat song", how do they rank?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You know, for a while I was really confused as to why Leo was Crowetron's favorite character when ballers like Ronnie and Jean were in this game.

This update has elucidated the issue.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Gologle posted:

On a scale from "trash" to "god tier Luna boat song", how do they rank?

They're sillyfun, really. I linked Lemina's a bit ago becauase I like it a fair bit. They actually got some really known actors to play the characters. Lemina's got Megumi Hayashibara, and Hiro is Hikaru Midorikawa, just off the top of my head; I'm sure at least some of the people here will recognize them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rangpur posted:

So. While the forums are down I stumbled across my decade old CDs of Lunar 'image' songs. They're one of those only-in-Japan things, featuring the voice actors singing in-character (and in Japanese, if that wasn't obvious). Make no mistake, this is every bit as cheesy as it sounds. Possibly moreso! However, this thread is the only place where Lunar-related nonsense could conceivably belong, and I can probably unearth translations from the geocities fanpages of eons past.

Croweton, it's up to you whether I should be posting these or not. I won't claim they're good but they probably qualify as amusing, if nothing else.

As long as you avoid any spoilers, post away!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Several translations for the songs are over at http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/olunar.htm and https://web.archive.org/web/20090612210149/http://www.moonreading.lunarpages.com/lunar/visitor.html

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I apologize for the delay, but I will have an update up in the next few days. And, to make it up to you guys, that update will contain as much scenery-chewing voice acting as I can cram into it, because we've got not one, but two voiced villain monologues!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

I apologize for the delay, but I will have an update up in the next few days. And, to make it up to you guys, that update will contain as much scenery-chewing voice acting as I can cram into it, because we've got not one, but two voiced villain monologues!

but how much MYSTERE will it have???

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Not enough.

There's never enough Mystere.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

Not enough.

Of course not. Mystere falls under the Dakka Classification, where there can never be enough, for if there were ever "enough", that would imply that adding MORE would be "too much", and THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH MYSTERE.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

Not enough.

I want a Mystere side-game where Mystere dorks about righting wrongs, combating injustice and getting flustered at swooning damsels.

If it wasn't obvious, BTW, Leo is Mauri's older brother and Ronfar's childhood friend.
And he is most definitely not Mystere, that would be silly.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Jenner posted:

I want a Mystere side-game where Mystere dorks about righting wrongs, combating injustice and getting flustered at swooning damsels.

If it wasn't obvious, BTW, Leo is Mauri's older brother and Ronfar's childhood friend.
And he is most definitely not Mystere, that would be silly.

You fool, that image isn't of the amazing Mystere but some enthusiastic fan dressing as him! I know this because Mystere doesn't have breasts. (at least not ones that visible.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You don't understand! Mystere isn't one person! We're all Mystere, in our own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Camel Pimp posted:

You don't understand! Mystere isn't one person! We're all Mystere, in our own way.

It's me, I'm Mystere. Sorry, everyone.

• Locked thread