Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Just finished my Hugo run in Origins. I'd say I had more fun playing as Yunica but the game was also a great deal easier with Hugo. About to start my third run now.

I'm another who's completely new to the series having picked up both Oath and Origin in the Steam sale (and then promptly pre-ordered Chronicles. I think playing through Oath first was a good idea since its' difficulty is way ramped up compared to Origin. Adol is cool and all but I think I enjoyed the fact that the characters in Origin talked and interacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Yeah, so far the third character is awesome to play with. Bosses have been tougher I feel but the playstyle is just so enjoyable than I don't mind. For reference I've just been playing all of the games/characters on Normal difficulty for now.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Finally finished Chronicles. Fun times although I'm glad I completed Origins and Oath first, I enjoyed it more just for the 'continuation' of the setting/music than for the actual gameplay. Really hope/look forward to getting more on Steam in the future!

I did encounter an error on completing II though. Right after the end cutscene I got a message about there being a problem with the video followed up by a second one about there being no hard-disk. Anyone else get something similar? (I was dumb and forgot to screenshot it though)

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Mindblast posted:

I finished Ys 1 not too long ago and man, gently caress that guy. It did not take too many tries to figure him out but even then it takes too long.

Now I am getting to the end of 2 and I can not recall using melee on bosses so far. Do you need the fire wand for all of them?

As far as I remember the later bosses you do.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

My YS 1 seems to be stuck on updating through Steam. It's basically stuck paused if I unpause it it'll just pause itself again.

Anything I can do aside from just deleting/reinstalling it?

Edit: Nevermind, finally managed to fix it!

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 28, 2013

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

So Ys I&II's gameplay is just bump into enemies? So any damage you do/take is just random?

To add to what others have said it is much easier in YS II almost to the extent that most of the normal enemies won't really pose a problem. It was really only the final areas where I had to be a little bit more careful in regards to how much damage I was taking. Plus in Ys I it's not hard to hit the stat cap and is pretty much required.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

raditts posted:

When do you face Dark Fact in Ys Origin? Are you confusing him with Dalles?

Spoilering just in case: I assume he means Toal/Hugo's father at the end of Toal's line

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Origins or Oath would probably be the best start.

Personally I found Origins the more fun one but I think Oath has better locales.

Oath's also a bit harder than Origins. Chronicles is good too but it's completely different in terms of combat.

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Well some people might have more control than me when it comes to steam sales. :ohdear:

• Locked thread