Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Ys V
I dunno poo poo about this game, except that there's a translation project underway.

The series took a bit of a hiatus after Ys V, until Falcom revived it in 2005 with:

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys VI properly modernized the series with fully-3d backgrounds, an animated intro sequence, and a new gameplay engine that ditched the bumping and grinding of old with sword-swinging, magic-using, platforming action. Sadly, the PS2 port done by Konami absolutely butchered the game. Horrible voice-acting, horrible 3d character models, and horrible 3d cutscenes that could only have been created by the animator having several successive strokes.

YsV is kind of weird. It doesn't feel anything like an Ys game, it actually feels a lot like Quintet RPG. That's not a bad thing mind you, just different. Hope they do eventually crank out a translation patch for it, but the way the ROM is setup is apparently a giant clusterfuck.

Oh, and there was a remake of Ys5 as well, it played kind of like a prototype of Ys6. Really ugly and clunky.

And since you didn't mention it, in the US PS2 version of Ys6, you can set it back to using the Japanese voice overs and cutscenes. Personally though, I just recommend picking up the PC version instead.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

alcharagia posted:

I've only ever played Origin and a bit of Oath. I didn't like what I played of Oath that much really. Adol is just a lot less fun to play as than Yunica and the third character (especially the third character.) Maybe I was just missing something.

Basically what I'm saying is that Falcom should make more games like Origin, I feel like that gameplay style in particular is better suited to that kind of game.

Adol plays almost exactly like Yunika except he has a faster/longer chain of normal attacks, and the balance of his magic spells are different (Yunika's Fire magic is much better than his, but Adol's Thunder and Wind are much stronger than hers). Oh, and he doesn't have Burst, which is good because Burst is a horribly implemented mechanic.

I have no idea how you could like Origin and not like Oath since they play almost identically except Oath is a lot more fleshed out. And you don't have to play as Hugo, which is a gigantic bonus. And you don't have to beat the game 3 times before you get to actually fight the final boss.

Though a good question is, how FAR did you play in Oath? Because the first major boss is really awful so if you quit at that point I wouldn't blame you.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 16, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely get the US PS2 version of Ys 6 if you want to play it. The PSP port was Falcom's first PSP game and it has horrible load times. The CG cutscenes are abhorrent but there are cheat codes that let you use all the Japanese stuff instead anyway. The only thing that didn't make it over is the enemies exploding into bloody gibs. It also has a significant amount of extra content and music that's not in the Japanese versions.

You also get the 3D models for everything, and I believe your equipment changes actually show up on your character all the time (as opposed to the PC version, where you can only see your equipment if you are wearing a complete set).

The extra content (the new dungeons) are alright but I wouldn't call them essential or anything. I'd still take the PC version over the PS2 myself, but both are good.

Ys6 is one of my favorites despite how rough it is. There's a heap ton of lore and story related bits in the game too, it's got connections to almost every other game in the series.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ys is the name of the floating island that is central to the plot of YsI&II and Origins. YsII takes place entirely on it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Official support for the Turbo CD music, maybe? Not that that was an original feature in the first place though, and who knows if there are licensing hassles with it. Even the .ogg replacement method results in some tracks not looping properly so having it natively supported would be pretty swell.

Everything else has been great, I'm still kind of amazed you got it working.

You need to edit the POS files to get them to loop correctly. I probably still have the fixed ones sitting around here somewhere.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Speaking of easy final bosses, I just wrapped up a Normal Yunica run in Ys Origin and the last 4 or so boss fights were crazy easy. I think they were the only boss fights I didn't die at least once during.

Yup, the difficulty balance in Origins is completely hosed. It's even more sad with Hugo since his Burst is even more broken (on top of the game just not being designed around him in the first place). Toal's final boss is actually somewhat difficult though as I recall, so there's that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Falcom is apparently onboard for the PS4, so they might be targeting that for some future games.

On the note of Ys7, has there been anything in the department of PSP emulation yet?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Pretty sure in the PS2 version when you use Alma's Wing, it gives you the option to do one or the other (teleport out of your current dungeon, or go to the trials, that is). Losing the Trials isn't a big loss at all really though either way, they're basically like little bonus challenge dungeons.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Red Mundus posted:

So I'm playing Ys 1 and get to the boss that breaks into small bats and I am just about ready to uninstall this piece of poo poo.

It was going so well too, I was really enjoying it up until this point and then this comes along. What's the tip here? I just run around in circles and wait for those two nanoseconds where the boss is vulnerable. Doesn't help that none of the rings work against the boss.

Grind up to max level on the enemies right outside that room. It doesn't take too long really. The balance is kind of screwed up in this version of Ys1, but it's much much better in Ys2.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I usually just recommend people play YsI on Normal difficulty at most as the difficult balance really just is weird as hell. YsII is great on Hard though, feels like pretty much the perfect setting.

I can't remember, is it actually possible to hurt Dark Fact without the Silver gear equipped?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of Origin, I beat Yunica's campaign last night and holy gently caress, that final boss was an annoying bastard. He's not even that difficult, he's just really cheap and really boring. Why did Falcom bother making a waiting boss, again?

You probably missed something because there's no waiting at all in that boss fight. First form you just hit him, second form you hit him with the same color magic as his barrier, third form you just hit his drones.

DelphiAegis posted:

Well, I did it with the two original to see all the storylines, because I'm like that. I assume Toal's campaign is the "cannon" version of events?

Yup.

DelphiAegis posted:

I want to pick up the other ones on steam besides I and II (Oath and Felghana, right?) but I fear my 30+ hours in origin shall ruin my experience of the fighting mechanics. :(

Probably not, Oath is really good and a fair bit harder than Origin. You might be burnt out on the mechanics if you just play Origin though, since it's pretty much identical to playing as Yunica.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 6, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Completely forgot to put this in the OP, but back in '08 Oyster did a screenshot LP of Ys 1. So if you ever wanted to see the original version of Ys 1, here you go: http://lparchive.org/Ys-Ancient-Ys-Vanished/

To get technical about it, the original version of Ys1 was on PC-8801, and the Famicom version is fairly different in a number of ways. I think the PCE version is pretty close to the original version of the game, just with better graphics and added cutscene and such.

I should probably actually play the PC-8801 version at some point just to see how it is by comparison. Ys1 is luckily a short enough game that even bad versions are pretty tolerable to play through.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Could be worse, in the Turbo CD version of Ys2, Dogi is named Colin.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ryuga Death posted:

So is Ys I+II Chronicles the only direct story sequel in the series (to Ys Origin)? It seems like every other entry in the game series is just its own story, nothing to do with Ys. I know Ys Origin is a prequel that was released much later, but in the LP of Ys I+II, the author states that the story of Ys is all contained within Origin, 1, 2, and 4.

Pretty much. One of the original versions of Ys4 was a direct continuation, but that's no longer canon. Not sure about the remake.

There are also a number of other references to the first two games in Ys6 though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Switch the cutscenes to the originals too. Don't want to have to see that horrible CG stuff.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you got anime then you're good to go. They replaced those cutscenes with some awful CG ones for the western version.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lance Streetman posted:

Didn't somebody do a translation patch for Ys 6? Couldn't Xseed ask to use that guy's translation instead of the Konami one? Hell, it's probably better than the Konami one.

Yup, there's a fan translation already floating around. Konomi probably does not have the publishing rights to the PC version either so it's likely not an issue.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Hows Celceta stack up against 7? I wasn't a huge fan of the "crafting" and materials crap in 7, nor the story, and I also thought the flash guard was way too loving good. Any of that stuff handled significantly better in Celceta?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just as an FYI, don't try and play Ys5 in ZSNES, it straight up crashes and resets during the ending. Or at least switch off it once you make your last save. I pushed through the ending in snes9x but the sound/graphics emulation were pretty poo poo in that.

Interesting one to play through, but the weakest in the series by far (not counting the original 3 anyway). Terrible magic system, terrible hit detection, terrible boss designs, and insanely easy. Never thought I'd play an Ys game where you can literally just jump and attack a boss without even bothering to dodge and kill it while still having your free revive item left. Didn't hate playing it or anything though, it was still fun at times and the music was generally still very good.

Oh and it's really short too, about 5 hours long. So the second shortest in the series by my timings.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You're definitely wrong about 6

You get tons of healing items and can use them on bosses.

Actually I can't remember about 5 for certain, you can definitely sit on a big pile of healing items, but I don't remember if you can even use them in boss fights or not because that game is so unbelievably insanely easy that I never had to.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I keep thinking about how much I would loving love a Secret of Mana remake or sequel using the Ys7/C engine.

Proto Cloud posted:

So, hard is the way to go then?

Definitely. The YsI remake is all weird and janky to begin with. Hard hits the difficulty curve about right. Honestly I feel like Hard is usually the right difficulty for almost every Ys game, Nightmare tends to get to the tedious point of the difficulty curve (bosses just take way too loving long to kill) in almost every one. And they rarely introduce new patterns after Hard.

YsI is basically the prologue chapter for YsII anyway, it's just a brief warmup for how loving awesome YsII is.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Edit: Uhg double post.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah magic is unusable during boss fights which makes spending your time leveling it up completely worthless too!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oath is about 1 difficulty step harder than Origins in general. Just might want to keep that in mind.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Complete version of Ys1 is especially bad gameplay wise as well. The PCE version feels a lot better balanced. It's really weird.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The power attacks are basically worthless in Origins anyway so it's no big deal. Not nearly as bad as Ys6 where you're required to do them to make certain jumps (forward tap + attack + jump is a long jump in Ys6).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well remember when I complained about being able to just sit in the final boss of Ys5's face and mash attack and still win? Guess that works pretty well in Celceta too (Hard difficulty anyway). Karna is KINDA busted, but then again a ton of poo poo in the game is so that's not really saying much.

Anyway, pretty good game aside from that. Much better than Ys7, although the supporting PCs, and balance of healing items were definitely worse. Think I liked the Ys7 soundtrack a little better but they both have their fair share of good tracks. If you're only playing on Hard mode, do yourself a favor and try to not use any healing items on bosses, makes them actually interesting.

Oh yeah, also of note, Celceta was kinda buggy too. Got stuck in walls a LOT, even once fell through the floor after changing party members and died. Bunch of hitbox issues where poo poo just didn't match where it should have been, kind of annoying. Not a major problem overall really, but I was kind of surprised at how often weird poo poo happened.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I kind of hope that whenever they try something new with the series again, they try going the opposite direction as 7/4C and go for less RPG factors. Something maybe like Illusion of Gaia where you get a reward (HP max up, strength up, etc) for clearing a room for the first time, but that's it.

Of course that's probably the exact opposite of what they'll do sadly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Those later fights are geared towards you learning how to use the Lightning magic properly, because it makes you invincible and lets you go through all of their attacks. That IS the defensive system in Oath/Origins, and it's arguably a little TOO good in Oath. There isn't really a lack of ways to get in on any of the later bosses.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Boy have I got some bad news for you about 7 and Celceta if you hate jRPGs constantly stopping you to throw lovely anime tropes at you.

Anyway, Celceta and 7 are better and worse than each other in various different ways. I think Celceta is generally much better overall, it's significantly less balanced but I think it manages to be more fun in spite of, or maybe because of that.

Can you play 7 on the Vita? I unfortunately bought the UMD version of 7 and I get the impression there's no way to transfer that ownership to a digital version or anything. Which sucks because man is the PSP terrible.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Make sure you have the damage ring equiped in that fight too, more damage per hit means less holes to worry about in the long run. And yeah, running along him when he flies by tends to get you a ton of damage.

Hard is really the best difficulty to play Ys games on in general, Nightmare always leans well into the realm of tedium.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I might be confusing it with a different Ys, I thought they did in the PC version of 1 but maybe that was the PCE version or another one I'm thinking of.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's awfully sudden, but I'm not complaining.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Celceta's ending is extremely abrupt compared to Ys7's actually, it's really weird. "One step forward and two steps back" pretty much describes every game in the series since Felghana though.

Though I think I actually like Celceta better than 7 despite it's numerous issues.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

I would say that Seven has, for better or worse, the most plot of any Ys game. That combined with the first attempt at a party-based Ys game probably makes it my least favorite overall besides obvious entries like Ys V. That said did Celceta really have any sort of plot to complain about it? I found it to be pretty light and simplistic, just explore forest, bad dudes show up, kill bad dudes, game ends. It's not like a Tales of game where you have to constantly fight to prevent your eyes rolling out of their sockets.

If you didn't have to stop your eyes from rolling out on to the floor at the whole Leeza fight section I don't know what to say to you, you must have just blanked it out of your memory or something. She just storms in, says she's taking the mask, refuses to explain herself and then fights you instead. You win the boss fight and then immediately lose in the cutscene following it anyway! Why did you even have to win the boss fight??

Leeza is a pretty awful and unlikable character in general, Calilica isn't really much better, Ozma and Frieda just aren't interesting in any way at all, none of the villains are interesting or compelling or even fun. I'm not saying it's worse than Ys7, but drat if it wasn't trying in places.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Has a Ys game ever featured interesting villains? They're just stand-ins for getting slashed to pieces and/or great boss music to me. I guess the Leeza stuff was kind of dumb but it's the hardly the first time it's fairly obvious that a character is unwittingly helping the villains despite it being blatantly obvious they were doing so (collecting the statues in Ys III, whatever you had to collect in Ys V).

I guess it's really just white noise to me in Celceta, whereas it seemed more inextricably tied into what was going on in Seven.

Well, maybe not 'interesting', but most of the Ys villains are at least fun or likable or have decent designs or something. I don't even remember what the final boss of Celceta looked like. (Also doesn't help he's like, one of the absolute easiest bosses in the game)

And yeah you're definitely right they reuse the 'helping the villain despite it being painfully obvious' thing all the time, it's just become more and more of an issue because they seem to be trying to continuously increase the amount of story and writing in the series and the quality has, if anything, gotten worse over time. Leeza's bit is just extra stupid because the whole arc happens within like 5 minutes and even some random NPC you have along with you at the time is like, "You know that's a real bad idea why don't we at least talk about it first."

For me, Seven's story was more just thoroughly mediocre throughout with an extra terrible plot twist, where as Celceta's was generally okay but with occasions of extreme awfulness.

I actually really liked the baby Adol bits from Celceta though, they were adorable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Slur posted:

Ys IV/Celceta is such a strange game in where it opens up a plethora of plotholes in the game, most notably the infamous Galballan plothole.

What's the Galballan plothole?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For some reason I thought Celceta took place after 3. Then yeah, that's really pretty stupid.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Galbalan makes sense to appear in 6 though. Eldeel is one of the last of the Eldeen, whose people built the weather device and the ancient underground ruins on the Canaan islands. You can see a whole bunch of Galbalans in tanks in one of the hallways of the ruins, and find some of their armor in one of the sunken areas too. So it's pretty safe to assume the white winged gods created them to begin with. Which also explains how one ended up in Celceta (Eldeel tought them how to make one IIRC).

The one in Felghana was just one that got loose and decided to be a dick until someone sealed it away.

I'm just going to assume Adol fell off a boat at some point between Celceta and Felghana and lost part of his memory and his entire inventory. Again.

Edit: And you edited your post anyway so now this looks silly. :I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah Ys6 is in most desperate need of a cleaned up Steam release right about now. It's also one of my favorites despite being really rough around the edges in places.

• Locked thread