Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Welcome to the TG Deals and Steals thread

This is a thread where we can share discounted PDFs, free supplements, amazing deals, and limited time offers. A TG Clearing House, if you will.

The world of Pen and Paper RPGs has made an explosion into the digital age with the expansion into PDF rulesets and digital stores. But you may not always have the budget. Maybe you have loans, are a college student, or are generally poor. Maybe you've already got a bookshelf of rules and don't have the cash on hand to drop on PDFs. Maybe you're just cheap. Worry not! This is the thread for you!

"But I don't play RPGs, I only play miniature, war or board games." - Worry not old chum, there's deals and steals for minis, armies, board games, you name it! Every web store that sells a game has deals from time to time, and this is the place to share them.

"Where can I find RPGs & PDFs?" - Ahh, there are quite a few resources out there.
Drive Thru RPG - One of the main resources for PDFs of RPGs. They sometimes have exceptional deals, and you can find almost anything here.
RPG Now - A PDF store that boasts many Indie RPGs. It also claims to host upwards of 2000 free products.
e23 - Started by Steve Jackson Games (of GURPS fame), it is home to many PDFs, some free, most unique. It is an excellent resource to find niche games and offers great customer service.
Indie Press Revolution - An RPG retailer that sells Indie published games exclusively. Apparently it allows indie publishers to sidestep the larger names' control over the market with current distribution networks.
1KM1KT - A site that aggregates free RPG documents, as well as submissions.
Free RPG Compendium - A large list of free RPG resources, updated semi-regularly.
The Free RPG Blog - A blog that collects free RPGs. What more could you want?

There are also many games produced each month by our very own TG community. Monthly Design contests feature a plethora of great games, as well as the option to get the rules from the game maker directly.

"Where can I find deals on physical stuff like minis or board games?"
Boardgame Deals - A thread in SA Mart's "Coupons and Deals" section that sees regular (sometimes daily) updates with hot, limited time gaming deals.
Miniature Market - An online game store with physical product. It has a Daily Deals offer on the front page that offers significant discounts off MSRP.
Cool Stuff Inc. - Another online nerd store. They sell everything from Magic: the Gathering to Board games, and feature a miniature and Magic card buying program. CSI also features a Daily Deal program, accessible on their home page.

You can find a list of free games and rule sets in the next post.

What this thread is for
  • Posting free, whole games available to download and play.
  • Posting Open Source games that are available to tweak and customize.
  • Posting RPG supplements and adventures that are free or discounted.
  • Posting discounted deals or limited time offers. Please post a link that would take someone right to the checkout, or give enough information that people will be able to take advantage of the deal you're posting about.
  • Posting coupon codes to PDF and hard copy retailers. Please note which site the coupon is for, how long it's good for, and whether or not it is limited to a certain number of buyers.

What this thread is NOT for
  • Kickstarters. I understand that most RPG kickstarters have great deals on rules, but this thread is about published games released for free or discounted prices. Please leave that stuff in the Crowdfunding thread.
  • Lite Rules & Quick Starts. Most RPGs have a lite version of rules available for free on their website. This thread is for FULL rules and games, not their trimmed down cousins. You can find most lite versions of games by googling "RPG NAME lite" or "RPG NAME Quick Start".
  • Torrents or stolen goods. As a group, RPG game designers put a lot of work into their goods, and deserve some sort of recompense for their time. :filez: are not allowed. If you are unsure, please contact a mod before posting.
  • Chat. Please elaborate on games and what they are about, but please try to leave chat out of this thread. I would prefer if this were an information resource. Don't let this stop you from commenting on whether a game is good, player or GM opinion is a useful resource.

Thank you, and have fun with your cheap rear end games!

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Full Free Games

Fantasy
  • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Ed. - AD&D 2e, available for free on this website, which has a bunch of books and options. No setting stuff, and the info is only viewable one page at a time, but it's free AD&D! THAC0 INCLUDED! FO' FREE!
  • Ars Magica 4e - Designed by Jonathan Tweet, famous for D&D 3.x and 13th Age, it has been described as "the best magic system in Pen & Paper RPGs" Source: TG forum.
  • d20 - D&D 3.5 and the OGL opened the door for plenty of competitors, notably Pathfinder, but both PF and 3.5 are built on the d20 System Reference Document (SRD). It is a full game in itself with playable races, classes, and monsters. If you homebrew this good enough, you can actually publish your game for profit.
  • Dark Dungeons - "Dark Dungeons is a retroclone that is in many ways superior to the Rules Cyclopedia. Nothing is really CHANGED so much as things are clarified and organized. I rec Darker Dungeons, which is also a BECMI clone except it uses d20 style "always adding" sort of rolling without changing any of the fundemental math so it is more accessable to someone in 2013." - Winson_Paine on playing Basic D&D in the modern era.
  • Dominion Rules - One of the first Open Source games available for free distribution and play. You can find the Wikipedia write up here.
  • Dungeon World - A PbtA (Apocalypse World) hack that tackles the tropes of story-driven dungeon delving. Generally regarded as one of the better games to have come out in the last decade.
  • FEAR - A Flexible, Easy And Realistic fantasy RPG. Comes complete with bestiary, and is billed as being vanilla enough to fit any fantasy genre.
  • Labyrinth Lord - Another old school Hack and Slash, available in .zip format. Labyrinth Lord is a retroclone of the Basic/Expert ("B/X") version of D&D by Tom Moldvay.
  • Mazes & Minotaurs - "A very good and completely free fantasy rpg that probably has the most supplements of any free rpg on the Internet besides perhaps Basic Fantasy Roleplaying and the mentioned below Talislanta & Marvel FASERIP."
  • OSRIC - Long for that old D&D feel? Then OSRIC is for you. A retroclone of 1st ed. AD&D. Available in PDF so you and your friends can argue whether "Elf" is a class or a race.
  • Pathfinder - The popular game has released its rules as a huge page of links, wiki style. Our own FedkaTheConvict has written a post that sees regular updates available here.
  • Talislanta - A long running multi-edition fantasy rpg available in it's entirety which runs off a derivative of the Basic Roleplaying system (aka the system used by Call of Cthulhu & Runequest) and is infamous for its advertising slogan; "No Elves!" Thanks drrockso20

Horror
  • Fallout PnP - The world of the Fallout video game, brought to your tabletop in an unofficial game by J.E. Sawyer. Not a polished, high profile game, but rather a labor of love from fans of the series. You can find a Wiki for the game that includes resources for playing. Should this be filed under "Horror" or "Sci-Fi"? Who cares!
  • Ghost Lines - "It's done by the same people who did GHOST/ECHO and it's a hack of Apocalypse World. The gist is that in some dystopian steampunk nightmare world, electricity attracts ghosts and your job is to keep the lightning monorails connecting the big cities running and ghost-free using your 'lightning hook'. If you don't die screaming and actually live to retire, you'll die alone in the gutter unless you've managed to put enough money aside over the course of your career, during which you also accumulate scars and horror. It's awesome." Thanks Doodmons!
  • Shotguns & Zombies - A B-Movie runthrough of a zombie apocalypse.
  • WitchCraft - A game about being witches at the end of an era of hiding their arts from the public.

Sci-Fi
  • Arclight Revelation Tianmar - A mix between Steampunk and Martian invasion, was designed as part of the 24 hour game contest through RPGgeek and came in first. Requires an RPGgeek username.
  • Danger Patrol - Create your very own 50's Sci Fi campiness with all the daring of Flash Gordon and the grit and gusto of Buck Rogers, "(with maybe a dash of the Venture Bros., Star Wars, and Indiana Jones)". Give me 5 reasons you wouldn't want to play this, and I will give you 5 reasons you're stupid and wrong and a big dumb idiot.
  • D6 Space - Based on the OpenD6 engine linked below, this versatile system is the skeleton that Star Wars d6 is based on. This sucka is free on DTrpg.
  • Eclipse Phase - Humanity stands on a precipice. The earth has been ravaged, mega corporations rule the skies, and smugglers and pirates use body morphs to step around laws and hack other people's brains. You can find a thread on Eclipse Phase written by Kire here.
  • Icar - A Space Opera style game with more whimsy than grimdark grim darkness. Fight off the robots to save the nobility of humankind!
  • Mutant Future - A Gamma World (crazy weird post-apocalypse) retroclone built on the framework of Labyrinth Lord. Also available as .zip files. Can be played as a standalone game, or mixed with other Labyrinth Lord material.
  • Stars Without Number - An OSR romp through dungeons in space! Old school D&D rules lovingly sewn onto the still breathing carapace of space operas and star ships.

Vanilla
  • Everyone is John - A great game where everyone takes the role of a voice in a crazy man's head.
  • FATE - Linked is the 2ed rules, but here you can find the Spirit of the Century rules, a 3ed ruleset updated and put into action by fans of the game. You can find a complete writeup of the game by Evil Mastermind, here.
  • FUDGE - The system that FATE is based on. This game has been distributed for free on the internet for the past 15 years, so there are plenty of resources out there.
  • Impresa Express - A very adaptable vanilla system that uses d10s and Open Source design. Game rules are pretty standard, but it makes use of a unique Ability/Skill system that determines how many dice you roll. A little clunky on the mechanics (due to the aforementioned Ability/Skill resolution system) but still a very highly adaptable system. I have personally used this for an ultra realistic Zombie RPG.
  • JAGS - (not) Just Another Gaming System. A rules heavy universal system, available in a rules medium version.
  • Microlite20 - A boiled down version of the d20, focusing on faster play. Three pages long, including OGL. Download requires you to enter an email address, and includes a PWYW option.
  • Mini Six - A very adaptable universal system that uses and was a flagship for the OpenD6 rules used in many popular RPGs.
  • OpenD6 - A d6 based game (surprise!) used in the popular Star Wars d6 RPG, as well as Ghostbusters. West End Games (WEG) based a lot of stuff on this system. Multiple genres are available under the OGL.SRD right here.
  • Tri-Stat dX - A system based off the three main stats: Mind, Body, and Soul. More information is available here
  • The Window - A story based game with only three central rules. It says explicitly what it's not on the fourth page.

Other
  • Dreamscape - A fantasy/horror RPG set between the living world and the world of dreams. Characters play as their real world characters, and also as their dream-world counterparts.
  • Inception - An unofficial RPG adaptation of the movie Inception. The players act as investigator or saboteurs who build dream levels, represented in this game as Jenga blocks. As you add more levels to the dream, it becomes more unstable. Available to view for free on Scribd, but you must submit something to download the PDF.
  • Marvel FASERIP - An old TSR property now long out of print. Appears to have supplements falling out its rear end (surprise!)

I will be sporadically updating this as time goes on. If you've got a game that you think is awesome, please make a post about it and what you liked about it.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 17, 2015

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I've got a bunch of free games and other things I've picked up from various sites, including some that were a little obscure (at least the way I came across them) despite how well-known the authors are. I'll wait until you've added yours though.

You could link the current and previous TG contests and 1km1kt in the first post. Quality varies on 1km1kt but there are some decent games on there.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
There's also the Gamechef competition, as well as the 'free games' section of Bully Pulpit's downloads section.

Here's some of what I've picked up (I've barely played any of them, haven't fully read a lot of them either, I just have a habit of saving free games I see put up online that look interesting to me):
44: A Game of Automatic Fear – which is about a 50s-era robot conspiracy in the United States, the few who know about and oppose it and the people around them who're slowly being turned into machines.
Apocalypse: Emergence – an add-on for Apocalypse World for playing stories about the descendants of a group that locked themselves away during an apocalypse, who find themselves in a twisted post-apocalyptic world.
Cthulhu Dark – a very light game for Lovecraftian tales of horror. More in line with Lovecraft's actual stories than most other games that claim to present the Cthulhu Mythos. The characters follow a trail of clues leading to some kind of horrifying experience. Monsters can never be killed. There are two official add-ons: Cthulhu Dark Tales, which adds some extra rules, and Cthulhu Dark Depths, which adds a structure for the story. The author (Graham Walmsley) had a blog where he put up a slew of extra rules beyond those, but it seems to be down right now.
Geiger Counter – all about horror movies. You play characters who slowly discover that they're facing some kind of menace, and then slowly die until just one or two are left to overcome the menace and survive. The structure of the game is supposed to be cinematic, with a 'trailer' before the story begins, quick scenes with one player in each acting as the director who chooses the cast and sets the camera and so on.
GHOST/ECHO – a game for playing a stylish cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic scavenger crew trying to make their way out of a dangerous situation. Think the Matrix, but it could also be a modern-day heist or any situation with a bunch of highly-competent people in a dangerous place who've been screwed over (by chance, by supposed allies, by customers).
Ia: A game of dark worship (second file here) – a short, simple game about cultists trying to bring about the Awakening of dark Things that are not of this world.
In Dark Trees – for Lynchian horror/drama stories about people related to some kind of crime and their personal problems coming back to haunt them.
Left Coast – a game about sci-fi and fantasy writers living on the West coast of the US in the 60s and 70s, or more specifically about their attempts to balance their family and professional lives while reality seems to slowly come apart around them (at least, a previous draft had that element, I haven't read this one).
Metrofinal – this world has been dealt a mortal blow and now eight bodhisattvas and saints are searching for the ones who will make the next world. Their quest is imagined as a busy day on the Transantiago metro, going from one station to the next as the world gradually unravels into the surreal.
Metropole Luxury Coffin – you play as the down-and-out semi-permanent inhabitants of a cramped coffin hotel, who band together with others to form tribes based on passing fashions as you scrounge together enough money to get you and your friends out of there (or make it a proper home).
Otherkind – a fantasy game about creatures reacting to the spread of industry and weaponry among humans. I think the dice system was the basis for Psy*Run and GHOST/ECHO, and later Apocalypse World.
Schizonauts – a kind of espionage/psychological thriller game about government agents undergoing memory drug treatments to assume the minds of the key suspects in the theft of the keys to the supercomputer that keeps the economy going. It's basically a game about creating characters, by Fred Hicks.
Silence Keeps Me A Victim – an exploration of child abuse through the dreams of an abused child. There's a pretty interesting discussion here on the Walking Eye podcast about the game.
The Scenario and The Wanderer – two different games, one a kind of swords-and-sorcery game and the other for playing out a movie of one continuous shot.
Until We Sink – a slightly surreal game where you play the last people on a Pacific resort island that's slowly sinking into the ocean, who've just found one of the guests dead at the bottom of a cliff. The game's played out through the evening conversations the characters have on the deck of the resort's hotel as they discuss the events of the day (and previous days) until the island sinks.
Viewscream – a game designed for play over the internet by live video transmission. The default setting has the players be the surviving crew of a spaceship, trying to escape with their lives and also keep their dark secrets hidden. There are a couple of versions floating around and I'm not sure which is the latest.
Wild Strawberries – a game about a miserable, lonely person on a semi-dreamlike journey to (possibly) reconnect with society.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 21, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Retail Me Not provides a list of coupons and discount codes available for DriveThruRPG, rated on how well they work. I haven't personally used any of the codes, but it's a useful aggregator for finding deals.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bundle of Holding is a collection of DRM-free eBooks written by numerous game authors, and you can put some or all of your payment to charity.

quote:

Our collection includes recent novels and stories by Matt Forbeck (Brave New World), Chuck Wendig (Hunter: The Vigil), Jenna Moran (Nobilis, Exalted), Stephen D. Sullivan (D&D/AD&D, Chill), Rafael Chandler (Scorn, Spite), Sarah Newton (Mindjammer, Legends of Anglerre), Derek Pearcy (In Nomine), and Aaron Rosenberg (Asylum, Spookshow).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Margaret Weis Publishing's licensing of Smallville and Supernatural has run out, and as such DriveThruRPG and RPGNow are featuring a sale on their core books and resources.

All Smallville products as well as the Smallville Core Book have undergone drastic price cuts, and can be had for less than half the original asking price.

The same goes for Supernatural.

These sales will end February 28th, so if you ever wanted to be young Clark Kent, the stars are right, deep in the heart of Kansas.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I nominate Ghost Lines which can be found here. It's done by the same people who did GHOST/ECHO and it's a hack of Apocalypse World. The gist is that in some dystopian steampunk nightmare world, electricity attracts ghosts and your job is to keep the lightning monorails connecting the big cities running and ghost-free using your 'lightning hook'. If you don't die screaming and actually live to retire, you'll die alone in the gutter unless you've managed to put enough money aside over the course of your career, during which you also accumulate scars and horror. It's awesome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lord Frisk posted:

[*] Labyrinth Lord - Another old school Hack and Slash, available in .zip format.

Note: Labyrinth Lord is a retroclone of the Basic/Expert ("B/X") version of D&D by Tom Moldvay. It's worth mentioning that they also have "Mutant Future," a retroclone of Gamma World--not of any particular edition, but slightly modified so that it plays well with Labyrinth Lord stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Halloween Jack posted:

Note: Labyrinth Lord is a retroclone of the Basic/Expert ("B/X") version of D&D by Tom Moldvay. It's worth mentioning that they also have "Mutant Future," a retroclone of Gamma World--not of any particular edition, but slightly modified so that it plays well with Labyrinth Lord stuff.

I'm gonna throw that in the post, if you don't mind. Any idea where the Mutant Future rules are hosted? The Goblinoid Games link appears to be broken, and I think it would be great to have a free to play Post Apocalypse game in there.

e: speaking of post apocalypse, I added the fan made Fallout rpg. Mutant Future rules appear to be working.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 27, 2013

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This retailer is clearancing all their miniatures game stuff, crazy crazy good deals on FoW, Warhammer Fantasy, Reaper Minis and Warmachine/Hordes, in most cases 50-60% off. They even have some out of print stuff for good prices (Valten! Valten on Foot!).
http://shop.silverspringhobby.com/

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

From DTrpg this week:
  • D&D 3.5 Complete Arcana - Half off this PDF, what they claim to be one of the best 3.5 splat books out there. Lets be honest, you probably spilled bong water on this splat back in high school and cant open the pages, right? Download the PDF and only worry about spilling bong water on your keyboard!
  • Hero Kids Coloring Book - Hey gaming moms or dads, this is a great free product full of fantasy heroes in black and white just waiting to be colored in. Obviously, this is a product marketed towards children, but it could also be your next character portrait!

As always, there's limited time deals going on at DTrpg in The Drunken Goblin's Sales Page, but as of this writing, it's only floor plans. The line up always changes, so consider bookmarking it to find great deals and steals!

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

For the next 9 or so days DTRPG is running a GMs Day Sale, which is pretty much 25% off everything that opted in.

If you are just browsing, the "A"s start on page 36.

(My lists start around page 10, or just click that, if I was advertising, which I'm totally not)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

From DTRPG this week:

• Wolsung: Steam Pulp Fantasy - A steampunk fantasy rule set available for the best price, FREE.
  • D&D 3.5 Complete Divine - Clerics and Paladins, all day long. Marked down to half price, Pelor loves this book, and you know better than to question a god's tastes.
  • GM's Day Sale - It's still going on for the next 5 days! Buy complete rules for games like Marvel Heroic Fantasy for under ten bucks! Fiasco for under ten bucks! Almost everything has a discount, so stop by and check it out. And give Lee's Lists some love while you're there.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 7, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Time for another Free RPG update.

Hulks & Horrors - Built on the skeleton of old school D&D, Hulks & Horrors shifts the experience to outer space! Full, free rules provide monsters, ships, classes, and crews. You can construct your own star cruiser as well as your own lurking horrors. If you need a setting for your space opera and also love D&D, then this is the product for you.

And as always, a bunch of discounted crap!

• Expedition to Castle Ravenloft - The classic adventure, updated to fit 3e/d20/OGL specs. And what kind of splat book would it be if it didn't include new prestige classes, magic items and feats (almost none of which will be allowed by your GM)? Over 50% off!
  • In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer - I'm gonna be honest. I have no idea what the hell is going on with that title. This is a Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure that apparently touches tentacles with some cthulhu settings. Who knows!
  • Doctor Who - the First Doctor Sourcebook - Those fine limeys over at Cubicle 7 slapped an RPG out of Dcotor Who, and you're gonna need this supplement if you wanna portray the first doctor accurately. Allies, enemies, aliens and gadgets, all for just a few bucks!

Stay tuned for a future shill of discounted stuff!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tonight at midnight, the Third Annual Wayne Foundation Charity Pack is going on sale.

Short form: You get just over $200 worth of gaming content (core books, supplements, maps, art, and ebooks) for $25, and all the profit goes to the Wayne Foundation to help them combat child slavery and exploitation worldwide.

Package includes:

quote:

Chaotic Shiney Productions
Martial Flavor

Ennead Games
Background & Details Kit
Dungeon Tiles – Mega Set

Fantasy Core
PreHysteria
Fantasy Core Rulebook – Lite Edition

Christopher Bunn Productions
The Hawk and His Boy (The Tormay Trilogy #1)
The Shadow at the Gate (The Tormay Trilogy #2)
The Wicked Day (The Tormay Trilogy #3)

Hex Games
Laser Ponies
Roller Girls Vs.

Naked Hobo Productions
MistRunner – the RPG

Sand & Steam Productions
School Daze

Dilly Green Bean Games
G-Core Deluxe
TeddyVerse
Xandoria Galaxies G-Core Edition

6D6 RPG
6d6 Shootouts “Super Eight Pack”

Bygone Futures
The Dragon’s Spine
The Tale of Lancaster’s Folly

Battlefield Press
Open Anime

Fable Forge
Enter the Shadowside

Game Soapbox Productions
Lost on the Road

Occult Moon
Toys for the Sandbox 09: Dormant Volcano
Toys for the Sandbox:21 Great Bridge
Toys for the Sandbox: 41 Labarynth of Reason
Toys for the Sandbox: 43 The Goblin Market
Toys for the Sandbox: 55 The Vintners
Toys for the Sandbox 59 Three Sisters
Sci-Fi Sandbox: 05 TheEcho Initiative
Apoc Toys: 10 Tradertown

Hero Forge Games
Hero Kids – Fantasy RPG

DwD Studios
Barebones Fantasy: Soul’s Reach
Barebones Fantasy: A Bigger Problem
Barebones Fantasy: Children of the Giant’s Fist
Decahedron Magazine #1

Daniel Swenson
Burn

Outrider Studios
Edge Roleplaying Game

Wicked North Games
Azamar
Azamar the RPG – Core Supplement
d6 Magazines – issues 1-5

Justin Steward
7 Pieces of Character Art

Accessible Games
Colors of Grey

Ashe Rhyder
5 original pieces of artwork for use in game

paNik Productions
R.E.A.C.T. Worldbook (3.5 OGL ed. and Savage Worlds ed.)

Neoplastic Press
Hexcommunicated

Robert Bohl Games
Misspent Youth

Ben Gerber / Troll in the Corner
Argyle & Crew’s Little Book of Big Ideas
Something Went Wrong – Gold Edition
Travels Between Imaginary Shores
Mirkmoot’s More Magical Mayhem for Creatures Small and Great
Encounters ~ Plots ~ Places
Argyle & Crew – Adventure in the Land of Skcos
Devious NPCs and Curious Creatures
Ninja – Silent but Deadly
Ninja – Even Silenter

For those of you who read all that and care about Evil Mastermind's recommendations, BareBones is a great sort-of-retroclone where classes are treated as skills, Something Went Wrong is good for those of you who like Fiasco-style games, the Toys For The Sandbox stuff is great self-contained locations for any fantasy game, Hero Kids is a game designed to be played with kids and has been getting a ton of good press, and Misspent Youth is Hunger Games/Battle Royale the RPG (and I'm about a year behind on reviewing it for the FATAL thread).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Free RPG Day is June 15, which is still a ways off but definitely worth planning for. There's going to be a bunch of Pathfinder stuff, an unnanounced FFG thing, an Onyx Path Vampire: the Requiem* quickstart, and a few other things both neat and embarrassing. Interestingly enough, nothing from WotC.

So volunteer to run something now so obnoxious Pathfinder guys in the next room can chase all your players away! Like they did last year!

*It says Requiem, but Onyx Path is the oWoD team so take that for what it's worth...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

moths posted:

*It says Requiem, but Onyx Path is the oWoD team so take that for what it's worth...

Not true. Onyx Path has the license to create oWoD, nWoD, and Exalted books. Also Trinity Universe and Scion, but we bought those outright rather than licensing them from CCP/WW. CCP's focused on making MMOs, so if it would have been a White Wolf tabletop game*, it's created by Onyx Path.

The quickstart is for Vampire: The Requiem, to show off the new material coming in Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle.

* Someone else does LARP books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a really good TableTop Day Free Bundle on DriveThru. A few complete games, and some demos.

quote:

Altus Adventum Primer
Brass & Steel Quickstart: The Case of the Croquet Mallet
Conspiracy X 2.0 - Introductory Game Kit
Dresden Files RPG Casefile: Neutral Grounds
FirstFable
H1 Keep on the Shadowfell & Quick-Start Rules (4e)
Legacy of Disaster
Leverage: The Quickstart Job
Little Fears Nightmare Edition
Mistborn Adventure Game Primer
Nightmare on Hill Manor
Outbreak: Undead - Quick Start Guide
Parsely #1: Action Castle
Qin: The Warring States free demo kit
Rogue Trader Forsaken Bounty - Quickstart
Savage Worlds: Test Drive
Scion: Hero
Shadowrun: Quick-Start Rules (Free RPG Day 2012)
Station Zero: The Abusement Park, a Maschine Zeit Toolkit
The Esoterrorists

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

There's Old School Hack as well. It's a fairly rules-light, lighthearted system that's easy to pick up and run with and focuses more on cinematic, over-the-top combat and adventure than detailed strategic play. It works pretty well for a variety of systems, since the rules are pretty flexible. It's in Beta, but there's a lot of support and it's free.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For a limited time, Michtim:Fuzzy Adventures RPG is free until TableTop Day. That link puts it right in your cart.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I encourage everyone to check out DTRPGs International Tabletop Day bundle that Evil Mastermind has written up. Lots of cool stuff to get new players into gaming.

Also up on the discount block
  • Lost in the Lights - An adventure for Call of Cthulhu set in modern Las Vegas, and the first in a series of ‘Neue Unaussprechliche Kulte’, a line that deals with modern cults throughout the world.
  • Shattered Moon - A full rule set for adventuring in a land ravaged by the war of gods. From DTRPG, "The forces of the Goddess, Lilith, the Dark Lady, stride forth to conquer and subjugate the earth to her will. She has awoken the titans from their ancient slumber and sundered Oberon's Seal, unleashing magic into a world dominated by science and logic for a millennium. You were human once, but that feels like ancient history. With the breaking of Oberon's Seal your soul revealed its true self. You are Sidhe. For over a thousand years since the seal cut off the influences of the Warp from the earth you have lived dozens of lives in human form, never realising what you really were but always feeling that you were different, never truly at peace in flesh or spirit. Now you are whole, in a world being torn apart at the Dark Lady's will. The moon has been shattered and the remnants have fallen to the earth bringing fire, destruction and worse."

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 28, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Thought Hammer is having a massive clearance sale, with nearly any physical product you can think of up for sale with massive discounts.
Some notable items include:
  • Game of Thrones LCG expansions, decks, you name it
  • Sets of Chessex Dice for under six bucks
  • D&D 4e and 3.5 books, dice sets
  • Runequest books, a bunch of 'em
  • Miniatures. Runequest minis, Anima minis, Uncharted Lands minis, Mutant Chronicles minis, more that I'm sure I missed
  • Warhammer LCG stuff
  • Hex maps, Square maps
  • Illuminati and Illuminati:MAD
  • 18XX board games
  • Legend of the 5 Rings: War of Honor
  • A bunch of standard and obscure boardgames, from Monopoly to Jewish Fluxx

Everything is discounted, and probably limited stock. There is 70 pages of stuff to look through, but I have no idea how long this clearance sale will last. This is a great chance to get board games and physical gaming paraphernalia that you can't just download.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 29, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What's going on with this Tabletop Day? Is there free stuff or just a bunch of demos?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

moths posted:

What's going on with this Tabletop Day? Is there free stuff or just a bunch of demos?

It's mostly demos and quickstarts, but there are a few exceptions. Leverage, Little Fears, Parsely #1, Station Zero, and Esoterrorists are all available for free as part of the package, and are not free to download quickstarts. Mostly the package is set up to be introductory games and rules lite versions, so you can pick and choose which ones work best for you and your friends. I grabbed the package for Little Fears alone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I got the download thing from DriveThru, what I meant to ask is if there is any reason to endure the Cards Against Humanity people by taking a trip to my LGS on a weekend.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh. Well, it appears there will be swag and free promo stuff distributed to participating locations, but my FLGS isn't doing this, so I don't have concrete answers on what's available. It appears to be parallel to free rpg day, from a marketing standpoint, with little emphasis on the "free" part. Since this is the first time it's been put on, it may be worth it just to see what your FLGS is doing with the opportunity (provided they are participating).

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thought Hammer has Dreadfleet on clearance for under $70. This is a great deal.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Up on the DTRPG chopping block this week
  • Midgard: Players Guide to the Seven Cities - A player's sourcebook for Pathfinder, set in the Midgard world system. This book introduces new feats, traits, archetypes, and outlines the world of Midgard and the Seven Cities. Half off while the offer lasts.
  • Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - An adventure that starts at the planar city of Sigil. Built on the 3.x d20 OGL standard, you can cram this adventure into Pathfinder too. The aim of the game is to poo poo in the house of Lolth. For characters level 9-12.
  • City of Clocks - This splat is systemless and can be stuck in any game. If you're at a crossroads in your game, maybe it's time to steer the players to the City of Clocks, where political intrigue, warring factions, and good old fashioned backstabbing abound. Half price!

I'm also gonna push this Thought Hammer clearance sale again. There is over 70 pages of content with amazing deals on all types of games. Over 2000 products up for sale, all of them heavily discounted. It's a great way to take a gamble on games you haven't heard of. What's Jewish Fluxx? I havent the foggiest, but maybe you could pick up some tchatchkes and become a maven on the subject.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

[*]City of Clocks - This splat is systemless and can be stuck in any game. If you're at a crossroads in your game, maybe it's time to steer the players to the City of Clocks, where political intrigue, warring factions, and good old fashioned backstabbing abound. Half price![/list]

I actually know the guy who wrote this. He's a cool dude and you should give him your money.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Army of Darkness RPG - To celebrate the new release of the remake of the Campbell/Raimi cult classic (Evil Dead), Eden Studios had substantially dropped the price on this core book. If you haven't seen the original Evil Dead movies, you really need to check them out. Army of Darkness provides a world rife with plot hooks, dirty, poo poo-caked men, and one lone badass with a Delta 88, a chainsaw hand, and a boomstick :allears:. If you ever wanted to tear rear end through a medieval country side in an Oldsmobile during the day and spend the night in a castle with wenches, using your old MSU chemistry books to make gunpowder, man, this is the game for you. Blast a witch in half with a ridiculous shotgun at a supermarket, then tell all those shoppers to "Hail to the King, baby."

This sucker is marked down to :10bux: from forty! 75% off! Deals like this don't come along every decade.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Free RPG product of the week: Duty Unto Death, an adventure for Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG system. This product was run on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop show, and is a full adventure with characters and handouts, and is fully compatible with the quick start rules.

Discounted Stuff:
  • Complete Mage - a 3.5/d20 product, this book is intended to give more backgrounds and options to make your wizard ridiculously over powered, or to mash some mage skills onto your fighter. All arcane classes are covered in this splat, and, as per usual, is marked down half price.
  • Faith: A Heist Game - A novel storytelling system designed to be pick up and play. It tells the story of a heist gone wrong, and what's described as "Tarantino-esque shadings". Backstab your buddies or turn state's at the worst time, Faith is mechanics light and story heavy. "An ideal introduction to roleplaying." Down to :10bux: from twenty.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Back again with some deals and steals for all you TG browsers.

Free RPG stuff: Fiasco: Hard Time Blues If you ever needed to take your Fiasco game to prison, why pay for the privilege? Hard Time Blues is a Fiasco accessory where players plot and scheme to get out of hard time the easy way. Shower scenes included!

Discounted Stuff:Expedition to Undermountain - A d20/3.5 "SuperAdventure", the story takes you beneath the city of Waterdeep in 224 pages. If you want some WotC fluff for cheap, now's a good time to buy. $17.49

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As some of you know, Margaret Weis Productions' license with Marvel is coming to an end. Actually, only about a day is left on the current license. As such, DTrpg is selling all Marvel Heroic Roleplaying PDFs at a discount. You can buy the core book for :10bux: and fill your HDD with fluff for next to nothing.

This was an ambitious product full of great art, and a game of the likes we may not see for a while. If you've ever wanted to play a table full of superheroes, this is your opportunity. But you need to act fast (Quicksilver fast) if you want to take advantage of this deal, 'cause it's only around for a day.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There are definitely other deals here, but I just got Imperial Histories 1, Book of Air, and Book of Earth for 50% off from Sci-Fi City, which appears to have quite a few good deals otherwise. If shopping there, I'd price-match with Amazon Marketplace, of course (some of their books are less through it) and bear in mind you have to order a lot ($100) to get free shipping. :ssh:

Shipping was very prompt; I got my package by the end of the week when ordering by Monday for both my orders via media mail, and it was well-packed inside bubble wrap and styro.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

As some of you know, Margaret Weis Productions' license with Marvel is coming to an end. Actually, only about a day is left on the current license. As such, DTrpg is selling all Marvel Heroic Roleplaying PDFs at a discount. You can buy the core book for :10bux: and fill your HDD with fluff for next to nothing.

This was an ambitious product full of great art, and a game of the likes we may not see for a while. If you've ever wanted to play a table full of superheroes, this is your opportunity. But you need to act fast (Quicksilver fast) if you want to take advantage of this deal, 'cause it's only around for a day.

There's no discount. Those are the same prices they've always charged. That said, there's no waiting around for a bigger discount.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My mistake. Thanks for the heads up!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just need the core book and I've got everything I need to play, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

I just need the core book and I've got everything I need to play, right?

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Technically, yeah. It really gives the impression of having been designed around playing existing heroes in some permutation of the scenarios presented in the event books, but I'm sure that's not the only way it can be played.