Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mercedes posted:

I can't wait to see your ultimate spiral into madness!

It might wind up becoming a loop the loop into madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
From what I read from the free sample available on Amazon, this story can only get better. :q:

As a reminder of what we can expect, we have been introduced to an old man with blue cat eyes, and this doesn't freak the main character out that much. Maybe it's also because the main character is too busy experiencing his roids kicking in while in a carnival.

Yo, JosephWongKS, if you need help transcribing pages from the book, I'd be happy to do so. This story is a joy that I think needs everyone has to be able to see.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I believe Miranda Leek must have wrote some part of those Wikipedia articles detailing the nuances between wooden roller coasters and steel roller coasters, since she enjoys roller coasters more than enough to start assembling technical knowledge of them.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The picture of our sexy protagonist!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JosephWongKS posted:

EagerSleeper, could you help me scan a picture of his roller-coaster form and post it after I post the Chapter 4 review? Thanks!

Sure I could get that, since I got those pictures from the available sample on Amazon. Do you have a phone that can take good pictures? I recommend that for the later illustrations. I think adding those to the chapter as we read along is integral to getting the full "Twisted" experience that Miranda Leek had intended.

edit: I found a source of the pictures online for free. I'll PM you the pics.

This is perfect. As I reading this myself, I found I was lacking a key characterization of Woody that I had been missing: That Woody is a crazy old man talking about his amusement parksonas in public. Your woody voice really does a good job at reflecting that. :thumbsup:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 8, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

Our protagonist has so far accomplished the following:

1) Killed a cat
2) Wrecked a bar
3) Almost killed the angered bar owner
4) Attacked the police who came in response to the chaos

Railrunner is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

JosephWongKS posted:

5) Killed and ate a bull

I think Rodney himself is kind of a jerk.

comic quality is terrible, just like this book

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

NeoAnjou posted:

Notice also that Rodney is/was a dumbass who was planning on drink-driving. Dumbass.

No! Don't you remember that because of Rodney's hidden roller coastanthropy, he has been unable to get drunk at any point of his life?

:goonsay:

my dad posted:

Well, my accent is too strong for a dramatic reading, so have this instead:

I've been kinda behind, but I love everyone's commentary and artistic contribution on this book and Miranda Leek's art. Thanks to everyone who made me genuinely laugh and for keeping the ride interesting.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 27, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Of all of them I think this is my favorite. It's the only one where he isn't looking like a smug rear end in a top hat.

It really is quite interesting that when Miranda chooses to draw Railrunner in a flattering light, she draws him a particular way: angry, eyes turned upwards, and yet somewhat blank and emotionless. Even before I read Twisted, I always thought she drew Railrunner with no sympathy in his eyes, like seriously, how could she not notice she drew her character as a sociopath. But even now that she had a whole book to show Railrunner off to the world, it makes sense.

Thank you JosephWongKS for reading this terrible story. At many points I felt bad for you for having to review this story, especially when I remembered that I was the one who made you do it. :( This story was incredible though. Never before have I read a story with characters more reprehensible than these. I'm pretty sure I can now read Lolita without squirming.

Through out this story, I have seen a lot and learned a lot. I was first impressed by Miranda Leek's good ability at drawing, and then I saw pregnant coasters lovingly rendered in charcoal and crosshatching. I probably learned a lot about Miranda's home life, and what it's like in Tennessee. (Holy crap, Miranda, how could you write such racist poo poo)

Thanks for the ride, JosephWongKS and everyone with their amazing posts! The abyss can be fun with other people. It's a shame the story is over, because the thread was really great. This story truly featured one of the most imaginative worlds yet, in all the many ways that it inspired revulsion in those who gazed on it.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

You hear it here folks. Miranda Leek's novel will make you a better writer.

That's for sure. I thought my stories were terrible, but now I have the motivation to keep on writing, now that I know that nothing I can write can spiral into a mess as bad as Twisted.

One thing that I forgot to bring up in the list of things that make Railrunner one of the most villainous and disgusting characters I have seen is that he purposely allows his girlfriend to die. He stops Thunderbark from rescuing her, he eagerly anticipates her death, and tells Ironwheel to let her go while fully knowing that he's going to do exactly as he says. All for the purpose of making her 'his' 'forever.' As Miranda was the writer and had all the freedom to write whatever plot contrivances she wanted to still have Railrunner be 'innocent' in the end, the fact that she wrote everything down where Railrunner is the only one responsible for killing Clare is amazing.

Many goons here said that Miranda Leek stole from werewolf, vampire, and dragon stories. Her pride is being unique by using roller coasters instead of other 'typical anthros'. The interesting thing is I think if she had just used regular dragons/wolves or whatever, the story probably would have been better off.

Ah well, looking forward to the next :gonk:Let's Read of Vertigo!:gonk: :shepicide:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 14, 2013

• Locked thread