Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They totally ignored his tenure as Red Turbo during his coma in Dino Thunder, and it never made sense when he and TJ were reds together in Forever Red anyway, the Turbo powers run off the Zeo crystals, loving Saban. :mad:

By that logic, Adam and Jason should have never been able to transform in their various cameos since those powers were supposedly lost for good.

Let's face it, all the old vestiges of season continuity from the first 6 seasons started getting ignored at least 10 years ago. Hell, in Forever Red/Once a Ranger, the MMPR morphers weren't even busted like in the PRiS episode Adam made his first cameo in.

Hell, we actually missed out on having Rocky come back as a Red Ranger in Forever Red since they skipped the Dairanger costumes altogether. If they changed costumes in Season 2, they could have put him in that one. (Jason would have passed those powers to Rocky in S2 and he would have never worn the old S1 costume.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Yup. Looks like missing paint apps and decals, and they changed the mast on the Gokai Galleon to molded plastic with paint instead of a decal. Gonna have to wait and find out if there's any more changes beyond the cosmetic ones.

It's definitely more than cosmetic - there's Zord-builder attachment points all over it. I count six in that picture alone.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

I always wondered if it's really cheaper to make new molds for the edited parts then to just copy the original?

Considering they straight-up imported the Japanese edition of Shinken-oh at a high (but still fair) price point, the main reason is to make the Megazord affordable to the average household with a little PR fan. They probably make their profit off the cheaper versions by sheer sales volume compared to the imports.

The Japanese originals are high-quality pieces of work and are easily superior to the American ones, but the fact remains that $80 for an imported Megazord is a very hard sell. Borrowing the molds and making them with cheaper plastic/paint apps probably isn't an option due to the sheer number of failure points that get created if cheap plastic is used to make them, so they opt for making a simpler version with less movable parts and a standardized limb-attachment system for inter-playability with other Megazords.

I hope they keep the "two-tier" mindset going forward, selling both the cheap Americanized version and the collector-grade originals. That way parents and collectors both get what they want. Hopefully the Shinken-Oh import was profitable enough to justify continuing that strategy.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

Wuh...where's that from? Why are they using Dairanger footage on what appears to be some manner of official product? Small glimpses from Legend War footage was unavoidable, but is Saban embracing/marketing the fact that there's almost 20 more seasons of Sentai that were never adapted?

I guess that's the thing - they either have to ignore the footage using non-american rangers (a good chunk of the Japanese footage) or include it and expect people to just roll with it.

The Dairangers are unique in that their mechs and sixth ranger were used but those costumes never appeared in any capacity whatsoever. The pre-PR sentai can get written off as old Ranger teams Zordon fielded, but Dairanger presents a problem due to its semi-inclusion in canon. We'll probably get some line about those being Thunder Ranger prototype powers Zordon and Alpha made when creating the White Ranger.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

On that note I see that TRU is selling the rereleased MMPR Megazord for $60. Is it worth getting in the sense that it isn't made with poor quality plastics?

The main thing driving up the cost is the fact that it adds a lot of diecast to the model, WAY more paint apps, more accurate stickers and generally better (and shinier) everything. It's the same mold as the 2010 Megazord remake, but they took that and pretty much made the best quality toy they could with it.

With the announcement of a legacy Dragonzord capable of combining with it, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from picking the Legacy Megazord up despite owning the original 2010 version. (which looks like poo poo in comparison) :ohdear:

E: I've been after a 1993 Megazord primarily for the ability to combine with a Dragonzord - now that the new version is getting one, I've pretty much dropped my efforts to acquire one. I bought a 1993 Dragonzord in iffy condition (missing the usual stuff like the staff, handle, codpiece, and battery cover), broken horn tip, parts of it look like they were chewed on by a dog) last month to display with my 2010 version, and now I don't need it. :argh:, but in a happy way.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 18, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, do they mean combine as in Battle Mode (the full mech, with the Dragon instead of the T-Rex and Pterodactyl) or Hat Mode?

Both, if the box mockup they displayed at comic-con is to be believed.

E: Here, have a pic:

Basically, they're giving us the things we begged for 3 years ago.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

quote!=edit

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

...Goddamnit, and my buddy was awesome and got me an original Dragon Dagger toy for my birthday this year. Not mint, but pretty good quality, sound effects still work, still has all the stickers... But now there's a die-cast one with a modern sound chip?

Not yet, probably next year since they don't have prototypes on display yet. If it's based off the official prop replica released in Japan a while back, it'll be full size, too. Other highlights are a full sized Red Ranger helmet with all 20 years of PR DVDs in it, a 2ft tall Megazord remake (Doesn't separate into individual Zords, but can morph to Tank mode), and S.H. Figuarts of all 6 original rangers. Also there are rumors that they'll make a general-release non-24K version of the Green Ranger Legacy Morpher with the Green/White ranger coins. Basically, Saban's gonna treat us right and empty our wallets real good.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

loving Bandai. Near impossible to get that drat Morpher at Comic-Con.

Don't sweat it. There's no chance in hell they went through the trouble of improving the Morpher's electronics and making brand new coin molds solely for a con-exclusive collector's item. We're pretty much guaranteed to get a wide release retail version.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan. Re-importing PR series is an actual thing in Japan.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Saw this commercial today for a Samsung phone watch thing and it has some Power Ranger clips in it from Itsy Bitsy Spider and Green with Evil. I think there is a different clip from the garage, but I don't remember what episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qeJKax2CU

If I ever find myself in a situation where I have more money than sense, I'd buy one of those and set it to a communicator ringtone. I'd look like such a tool when it went off but gently caress you, I have a goddamned working communicator.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tae posted:

They had an episode where past rangers existed, so it's not like they're breaking a sacred rule when the MMPR crew was the first.

Saying "everything that hasn't appeared in an American series is from a pre-MMPR team" doesn't really work for Dairanger - their costumes are very similar to the MMPR White ranger and the helmets have the same animal designs as the S2 zords.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tae posted:

"Billy found some ancient text and based it off that." It's really not as complicated as you guys are making it out to be. The lore isn't what kids care about.

The stupid, terrible sound effects is a far bigger crime than any lore being broken.

You're right, but you can't just say that the kids won't notice the inconsistencies these days - between wikis and streaming video little kids can binge an entire series easily and know every little detail about them. If a kid is really in to Power Rangers, there is nothing stopping them from watching every single episode from the past 20 years. Anecdotal non-PR example - By the age of 10 my little sister had watched half the shows I watched as a kid in their entirety thanks to Netflix. (She didn't even have to wait a week between episodes or sit through commercials either!)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I don't know man, maybe you should tell your little sister that it's called Doki Doki Panic in Japan. Problem solved.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I was just trying to give an example of why you can't assume the target audience won't notice these things. I was making the point that kids have an insane level of access to old TV shows.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Pretty much. They'd just found themselves with a big hit and didn't want to mess with brand recognition.

The thing that gets me is that they willingly gave up two opportunities to sell kids another entire set of action figures to do this. (I know they sold the Kakurangers as the Alien Rangers but I imagine they didn't sell that well compared to the main team figures or even the ninja costume figures.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

OZC posted:

Nothing yet, but I feel like it'll be an SDCC announcement. I want to say that was when Titanus was first shown off too. I'd be really surprised if they don't do one since the line sales have been strong, and they clearly already planned for it just in case (unlike Dragonzord and the Megazord) since the Tigerzord conveniently has the Zordbuilder pegs under the shoulders if you flip them down for Mega Tigerzord mode.

Biggest issue with it that I see is the odd way the Thunder Megazord combined - rather than the normal plastic snaps everything kinda slid over the Red Dragonzord as a sleeve. Kind of hard to have zordbuilder pegs when the arms and legs are hollow. It will be impressive if they figure out a way to pull it off while staying true to the original combination method.

The easiest solution I can think of (and the one they'll probably go with) is to make the Red Dragonzord's arms and legs removable and go with fixed zordbuilder attachments on the Griffin, Pegasus, and Lion. Horribly inaccurate, but it allows Zordbuilder compatibility.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Burkion posted:

In comparison to what came before and what comes after, it's not great

But it's no where near as awful as the later seasons like Overdrive

It didn't help that the source Sentai footage was incredibly silly, counter to the serious tone they were going for.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Section Z posted:

This talk of teen stereotype teams makes me want to see the Burgerking Kids Club version of Power Rangers.

I'm still amazed they got away with calling the handicapped kid "Wheels".

You may notice a certain ethnic group is missing, and you bet your rear end they patched that hole later on with Jazz:

Otherwise they are such a generic group of politically correct stereotypes they would be indiscernible from most normal Power Ranger teams.
The only stock stereotype that's missing is the "Generic white guy". (Kid Vid is obviously the :krad: 6th ranger type that upstages the rest of the team by existing.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ugh. While I wasn't expecting exact replicas of the old suits, I wish they had gone more "Deadpool" with them. Same basic design as the originals, but made of canvas/leather instead of spandex.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Because the White Ranger apparently needed two themes, they also just recycled "Go Green Ranger Go by swapping all instances of Green to White. Not complaining because it's one of the best themes in the show, so good on them for finding a lazy way to keep using it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I actually really like the Dairanger suits, and while I understand why they kept the Zyu suits in S2 and S3, I've always hated that they got skipped entirely aside from the White Ranger. If only Saban could have written them in like the Kakuranger suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How, is there like, chrome paint?

As someone who frequents the Gunpla thread, you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes when it comes to the cool things you can do with paint.