Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

jivjov posted:

Here's a Super Megaforce marketing teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufK68FlPeq0

I cringe every time I see Super Megaforce material, because Gokaiger was just SO GOOD, and what they're doing to it seems so bad.

A new era of Power Rangers is about to explode. :geno:

So either we're gonna see some wacky explanation for the Dairanger suits, or what the gently caress is wrong with you, Saban marketing division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So apparently the official romanization for the new Sentai has come out, and it's... TOQGER. Toqger? ToQger? Anyway, I guess that makes the Ranger names TOQ-1, TOQ-2, etc, which seems a lot more like how trains would be named.

Their belt buckles abbreviate it further to TQG.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Zedd posted:

Dino-Samba Megazord :getin:

I'm just wondering whether we'll see a new Dino Charge Megazord cockpit or the raw footage with KYORYUZIN/PLEZU-OH/SPINO-DAIOH still plastered across the background.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

jivjov posted:

I could even be okay with "I need another blaster!" "Okay here you go!". Having an entire conversation goes beyond 'lacking subtlety' and all the way in to 'actively avoiding airtime with nobody talking'

DROPKICK!

:cripes:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If we assume that MMPR Red is Jason by virtue of being the first one, does that mean that Turbo Red is actually Tommy?

There are little info bits you can click on the corner of the cards to see who is what ranger and Turbo Red is apparently TJ.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Pyroi posted:

So, ToQ #6 is basically the best character.

Dude has incredible music and I cannot wait for the album that has his tracks.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

What build-up there was came about so suddenly and so blatantly that the only reaction possible was "no way, they're not seriously going to force a romance this late, are they?"

I am 100% on board with you that it wasn't handled especially well, but I much prefer Amy straight-up going "This is stupid, I'm going to stop thinking about it and punch dudes" rather than her and Yayoi trying to compete with each other for the entire back half of the show.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Raserys posted:

I think every single one has been some variation of balding/bearded fat guy who talks about their interests and hobbies to save the day.

At least the Galax-Silver dude tried.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Is Ninninger any good? Like, I couldn't get into it when it started because the red guy was horrible, but Starninger or whatever looks pretty cool. Worth catching up on, or should I just skip the series?

Recent episodes have actually been pretty good, simply because they're not hurling Takaharu to solve absolutely everything forever anymore. It still takes a while for that to happen, though, so if "Pick it up in the mid-late-20s" doesn't appeal to you by principle then you should probably skip it.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 30, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

jivjov posted:

Kyoryuger at least lets Daigo build up his teammates. He's the best because he has the best team behind him. Compare to Ninninger where Takaharu is the best because...he's fired up :geno:

The face of a good protagonist, portrayed by a good actor.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Tae posted:

The baffling thing with shoehorning in pre mmpr powers is that they are absolutely willing to make original footage, but then don't for some reasons.

And in one case they do make original footage... using pre-MMPR suits...

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Sockser posted:

Four god drat non-PR suits in one scene. The blue of the Fiveman suit being different than the Blue of the helmet is also silly

Not one single person involved in the creation of this show gave a fraction of a poo poo.

That scene is what I'd mentioned in a prior post. It was a completely refilmed shot for Super Megaforce, where the only effective difference is MM Red was Vul Eagle in the Gokaiger footage.

gently caress this show.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 27, 2017

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Box of Bunnies posted:

I finally watched the movie and hey, wow, that was actually better than it had any right to be. Going the character focused, YA style worked in the movie's favour I think. Guess I'm part of the problem in us probably not getting a sequel though, huh.

I can still see Saban absolutely insisting on following through with one or two more movies but that steam's gonna run out eventually before all six happen.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 24, 2017

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

RBX posted:

What is wrong with the thread calling the 3rd greatest sentai Kyoryuger bad?

Kyoryuger is not Dino Charge.

Cernunnos posted:

Drive's was a bit bulky but was nothing compared to the nonsense size of the Fourze and Ghost ones.

W, OOO, Wizard, and Gaim all have pretty straightforward dead-simple designs. They need something other than the belt to work but they're not too big or really over-designed.

Basically: if you need to put an actual hand-lever on your Rider belt, you hosed up. Kabuto and Ex-Aid might be the only exceptions here.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 4, 2017

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

I love Sentai robot hands and the complete refusal to give a gently caress about how goofy it looks to have one arm just be an enormous block of foam latex while the other has the suit actor's hand free to actually hold something.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Blaze Dragon posted:

And some giant head dude that apparently was his apprentice but never really understood what his job was.

I was supposed to give them Zords?!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Suit actors are terrifying beings who readily agree to fistfight each other in complete darkness and it is awesome.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Sockser posted:

Just got to the last season of Chroma Squad only to find out that I could’ve done a totally sweet Kamen Rider branch? Now I need to play the drat game a second time

The Rider route split kind of loving owns, but also is not great because for a while you're effectively doing a single-character run of a TRPG which is really boring.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Catch the monsters and use them as allies

This would be actually super rad though because it would give a reason for all those hotswappable robot pieces that get used a maximum of three times throughout the show.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

drrockso20 posted:

Random thought, have we ever had a an actor who was a "kid of the week" in either Sentai or Kamen Rider later show up in either franchise as a hero character when they get older?

Hideya Tawada went from some recurring background character in Ninninger to being Kamen Rider Shinobi. :v:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Larryb posted:

I forget, was it ever explained in Go Busters why Blue and Yellow had their respective weaknesses?

They're glitch drawbacks from getting their superpowers in the first place. Hiromu's is the only one that's really gone into because "chicken trauma" is a bit more ridiculous than "statue-freezes whenever he panics."

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Covok posted:

How was Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger?

Week-to-week, LuPat was entertaining, but its narrative is virtually nonexistent - it's like the first ten episodes of Kamen Rider Ghost when Takeru was still collecting the Eyecons and nothing really happened, except now it's forty-five. If you don't mind the standard Super Sentai episode plots, you can at least enjoy Keiichiro being the best Red in the last fifteen years, but if you want an actual story with your rainbow spandex punch team then skip it and don't feel bad.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Coq au Nandos posted:

The suit designs are the only good part of the series. The mechs, monsters and plot were all quite bad.

KyuRenOh (and to a lesser extent RyuTeiOh) on its own is super rad, and still one of the better ways to deal with hotswappable robot components that get used a maximum of twice throughout the show's run.

Unfortunately, the show tried to combine the robot with more robot.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But this does imply that one day we will have a Jungle Thunder

If only we got a Zyuohger adaptation...

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
I dropped Ryusoulger about ten episodes in but I will forever defend my legally-distinct-not-LEGO robot friends for the "ZordBuilder, but doesn't suck" concept alone. As much as I hate the trend of gigantic clusterfuck final upgrade robots, being able to make your own unique nightmare beasts using every single one of them at once is kind of refreshing.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Junpei posted:

Then how come I haven't heard people complain about Koh in the same way that people criticize Takaharu from Ninninger?

Part of it's probably for the same reason nobody talks about Kamen Rider Saber in the ADTRW thread: Ryusoulger's greatest sin is being nothing to actually talk about besides it sure being a show on the Japanese children's television.

Takaharu, by contrast, got pushed so aggressively hard he pretty much single-handedly ruined his show with how he was written. He can't stop being the focus of an episode in other characters' focus episodes. Literally, one episode was about Blue and Gold's unconscious inferiority complex compared to Takaharu's effortless success in Being A Ninja, and once they learned not to give a gently caress about comparing themselves to him and they had the opportunity to use the mid-season suit upgrade, they both gave Takaharu the finishing scene of the fight. He tries to land in the "Idiot Red" crowd but he overshoots way too hard - he's loud, he's impulsive, it takes no less than three separate lectures on teamwork for him to even grasp the concept of teamwork (for which the show rewards him with what by all intentions should have been a full-team finisher, which was only used once, by himself). It also didn't help this was apparently his actor's first major role, and Shunsuke Nishikawa was... not good, at the time, at all. He was never nearly as bad as Troy in Megaforce, and he does get better (his showing in Super Sentai Strongest Battle is actually pretty decent), but for a solid year this was the face of hot-blooded ninja excitement as he shouted his catchphrase for the third time in a 22-minute stretch:

His shirt game is absolutely on point, though. He wore some incredibly good designs.

A lot of people at the time compared him to Daigo from Kyoryuger because it also turned into a super Red-centric show, but the big difference between the two of them was Daigo actually had a modicum of charisma and also never cared about his own status: while it was a literal plot point for an episode about his big glaring weakness being he has no weaknesses, he constantly talked up how his efforts were only made possible by the entire team backing him even to the end. Takaharu, as mentioned, needed two episodes in a row to understand the idea there are four other people in his vicinity.

Koh meanwhile exists. He has his moments like every character and I thought he was okay but for the time I was watching he was just fuckin' there and I could not tell you what his actual personality was beyond Pretty Decent Dude.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 23, 2021

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Larryb posted:

Fair, though Kasumi is still a really good Pink in my opinion regardless (and her PR counterpart wasn't that bad either as I recall)

Kasumi was the start of a line of incredibly good Pink/White continuing to this day in the Sentai half of things, and depending on my mood shares top spot with Tsukasa from Patranger.

Larryb posted:

I also find it funny that despite being canonically born in America Kinji's Japanese is better than his English.

As disappointed as I was hearing Kinji's actual English compared to his backstory, I don't think I'd have traded a fluent accent for the hilariously bizarre way he screams "WHAT?!" Dude owns, he tries so hard to save his show.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Holding out hope that we do in fact get that show next year. They put a ton of effort into Shinobi's Rider Time special, and it would be hilarious to canonify that with a legit show (especially if they actually use those episodes' scripts)

I would absolutely love for this to happen as well but my only concern they won't is from the cannibalizing of previous shows' suits to make the Shinobi ones and the belts being Zi-O retools. They could always be redesigned from the ground up, though, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Larryb posted:

Hell, even Troy’s actor is much more personable outside the show than his performance in Megaforce would suggest.

That one scene of Troy legit goofing off and showing his actor actually can emote, suggesting the entire rest of the time he was just directed like poo poo. Which if I remember was confirmed in some interview somewhere?