Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tae posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't talk about the roll call because I think that's the only show that regularly did one like Sentai.

And had to reshoot the yellow ranger's pose, because she was both the ditzy/cute one and the 'strong' one in the sentai, which they of course translated into need-for-speed race car driving tomboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

The weirddest in a cool way thing about Mystic Force is that everybody but Udonna and Chip is Ambiguously Brown, and it made things feel more exotic, for lack of a better term, made things feel more diverse, like I hope Dino Charge does.

Oh sure, cast the white lady as the White Ranger. :jerkbag:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

But why would they care if pink toys sell less? It's not as if you even buy Dricera on its own. It comes with the other four Zyudenryu in a set. Kids won't have a choice in buying it at all :psyduck:

They are literally scared it having pink in it at all will make dumb parents boys think it has cooties.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Shredder is killed off by the new girl turtle in episode 2 (the series starts with a 5 parter. 5!!)

I say this every single time Next Mutation comes up, but the notion of another turtle growing up separate from the others, and a female one at that, is not inherently bad. And make no mistake, that's what a lot of people say, that it was a bad idea to add another turtle, and EWWW she was a girl!

The issues were A) she got the bullshit magic stuff to avoid having to have her actually fight, and B)they did the laziest, most stereotypical 'it's the late 90s, but somehow she acts like she's from feudal Japan' contrast. Why not do east coast vs west coast and have her end up in SF Bay or the Valley? Or she has to fend for herself in Tokyo, so you have a full-on Akibahara nerd girl hanging out with Mikey? Or gently caress it, she wound up in Atlantic City, and you have the age-old Manhattan guys looking down on the Jersey girl conflict?

Literally all of those are more interesting than what they did, AND you can either have her on a par with the guys in terms of fighting (maybe she's more self-taught than them) or starting from scratch, thus she's our POV character...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Wade didn't say anything bad about Venus though.

I still say she should have the name of a famous Artist, but whatever.

Yeah, sorry if that came off as hostile to anyone in this thread, I just hate how the default fandom and even Laird/Eastman response is that a girl-turtle was a bad call when it wasn't, it was the execution.

And I did actually do some research into female Renaissence artists, but there's not a lot of widely known ones or even easy to come by info, so it would've been very difficult unless they broke the pattern another way and branched into another period or movement.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

I gotta say, I've been binging Jungle Fury while my wife was away, and it is fantastic. I really think it should be ranked up there with the great Saban era series like Time Force and Lost Galaxy. I love the villain staple and the concept that the main villain himself trains and becomes more powerful throughout the series and seeks out his own masters and gets power ups just like the rangers. He even has his own morphing sequence and is practically an evil ranger. And the guy they got to play Jarrod/Dai Shi is pretty much perfect. One of the most intimidating villains on PR I think, all from a little voice modulation and good costuming and next to no makeup.

He's not just 'practically an evil ranger', Rio & Mele/Jarrod & Camille basically count as Black and Green for that series (hence why you have purple and white as the 4th and 5th), down to having their own transformation sequences and mechs. From the little I've seen of the legend war stuff, they're in there in that capacity as well, aren't they?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Well their monster form doesn't really look rangerish, and tons of villains have mecha.

Most villain mechs don't combine with the main team's unless they're also ranger-y types.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Vida was the hot one anyway.

It's also the rare case of making the pink ranger the more tomboy-ish/butch one, which is nice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zedd posted:

So I started with Jungle Fury: Stoner Werewolf mentor is the best.

QFT

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, he literally tried SHOOTING A KAIJU WITH A PISTOL.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Overdrive didn't have the girls lose their morphers, so suit up with assault rifles and grenades to fight the villains in civvie form. Failure. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Green one will get you a high five, probably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Amy Jo Johnson and Johnny Bosch are probably the most successful in terms of regular work, but Lightspeed Blue was a regular on CSI, I believe, and Jungle Fury Yellow was in Cabin In The Woods, according to my buddy who saw both.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Agreed.

Apparently this is the logo for Ninja Steel

Is this one Netflix exclusive, or is the Nick contract still a thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Even with the Transformer movies, it took four to get Welker on as Megatron/Galvatron, and Peter is pretty much the ONLY other actor they got.

And if the plot I heard about earlier last year is true, yeah Goldar is in the movie, though if that's a good thing or not is...questionable.

Welker worked on the earlier movies, though? I'm pretty sure he's Soundwave in ROTF, because there was a lot of jokes about how it sounded like Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget, mostly because that was Welker doing the same voice, just they put it through a vocoder on Transformers originally but didn't do so in the film.

Also, mostly because I dunno where else to put it, the new Pink Ranger outfit from the comics is... interesting.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 12, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I.... I don't know how to feel about this...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Samurai and Megaforce were terrible, but Dino Charge has been pretty decent, and Ninja Steel will almost definitely end up better than it's Sentai source material(Nininger has probably been the worst Sentai has been in at least a decade)

Yeah, Dino Charge seemed to be them finally hitting a groove with characters that were, uh, actual characters and realising that they don't have to rush through the sentai footage. (It also finally has a mostly new theme song!)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Morby posted:

I am finally playing it and this is hitting my nostalgia so hard. I have only played with Kimberly so far, and I'm not sure if she's the weakest character (like the other older games), but I am enjoying myself immensely. They kept the old music, too.

One little detail I like is that Kim doesn't use the blade blaster like the other Rangers, but shoots her bow instead. Sadly Zack doesn't use his axe in rifle mode.

But yeah, how hard could it have been to get a few more voice clips for the different skins or morphing? It would also maybe have been cool if you got more XP for fighting mobs unmorphed, but bosses don't take damage if you're not in ranger form so as to mimic the format of the show.

Otherwise it's basically a clone of Double Dragon (in fact it's very simlar to Double Dragon Neon)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well the reveal of the Hybrid Ranger/Lord Drakkon in the comics was anticlimactic. its Tommy. The question is if this is the future or a parallel universe.

Huh. Could've made it more fun and had it be Andros or Kat or Tommy's Native half-brother or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Actually I kind of wonder if they have more general rights to the franchise or just specifically to Mighty Morphin. Something like In Space might be out of their hands.

They have referenced the Zeo Crystal but that actually started in Mighty Morphin.

Surely Saban owns the whole franchise now? Why would you ONLY license part of it for comics that are exclusively going to sell to adult nerds based on nostalgia? I mean, IDW's Star Trek comics are about the Chris Pine movie Kirk but they had Q and Captain Sisko show up, for gently caress's sake.

Although it's probably so it doesn't 'dilute the brand' leading to the movie. Don't want to confuse people even though there's been a million seasons and kids aren't going to freak out about why the team in the movie isn't the same one from Ninja Steel.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 20, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tae posted:

The one thing I wish PR adapted was the role call.

They do it occasionally, but usually only when the Sentai makes a bigger than normal deal of it. Jungle Fury/Gekiranger stood out, as did Wild Force/Gaoranger in that respect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

No, this is the best one, as In Space is the best in pretty much all things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ini5sF6iImk

(well, the Jurassic World / Dino Charge one might edge it out... Dino Charge's theme is awesome, and JW didn't get to #4 historical BO by not being anything but awesome)

I was so shocked when I decided to check out Dino Charge on UK Netflix when it went up and was ready to groan through ANOTHER clunky forcing in a different word to the MMPR theme, and then the titles started and... wait... this is a new song! A pretty frickin' good one too!

(I actually think Jungle Fury has the best theme overall)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Based on some of the lawsuits we've seen, it seems to be the case that Saban somehow secured the right to have all sentai and possibly also other Toei toku properties, and parodies/homages thereof, under the umbrella of "Power Rangers" outside of Japan.

I want someone to try and get Akibaranger brought out of Japan just to see how Saban reacts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The movie has a credits stinger.

Here's hoping it's CGI Dragonzord coming out of the bay.

It'll be Tommy finding the coin from Rita's staff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Will there be a reason to keep it on a second monitor for the span of Wild Force through Overdrive?

Unrelated, but is it wrong to almost like Jungle Fury's mentor (RJ) more then Zordon?

RJ is a character type I've always dug, the wise mentor who feigns being about 3 nickels short of a quarter when he's really only about 1 short, and can wreck poo poo when it comes down to it. He's basically Yoda, if Yoda did a lot of weed instead of hanging out in a swamp because Ghost Liam Neeson told him to.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Krispy Kreme placement was a bit more eye-rolly for me, because they're making a big push in the UK, with a bunch of locations here for the first time, and have a distribution deal with the biggest supermarket chain in the country. The gag with Rita chilling and having a donut while Goldar gets to work still made me laugh, though. I'd agree that the movie's a solid 3 star experience. And I'd agree that the early going is the strongest, though it falls into the problem of there not being enough time to pay off all 5 leads arcs AND do the CGI explosion fest, so only Jason and Billy really feel like their stories really peak. Kimberly's story is hurt because, honestly, even when they reveal what she did, they keep the details fairly vague to the point where it doesn't have the impact it should. I'm not saying we need to see the pictures, but at least give a clearer idea of the circumstances where the pic was taken so we know HOW big a bitch Kim is supposed to have been, and thus make her contrition land

A YouTube review I saw said the campfire scene HAD to involve booze, and I'd disagree, except Zack really came off as tipsy in that scene, especially him yelling that "MY MOM'S THE BESSSSSSSS'!!!!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I honestly felt that Kimberly came off as a really unsympathetic. We never see her apologize or reconcile with any of the people actually involved in the sexting scandal, she never comes clean with the rest of the team, and her acting doesn't even give me an impression that she's particularly contrite. She's upset at the consequences, but not that she violated someone's privacy to begin with.

Jason's lines at the turn don't help. "You did an awful thing but you're not an awful person" is a bad way to phrase it. Acknowledge that she WAS a lovely person but wants to change and tie it in with the powers giving her the chance to be better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Morby posted:

My assumption with the Kim arc is that there is probably deleted scenes and dialogue that would help give us more context about it.

Oh undoubtedly, in fact, they probably cut some stuff to try and make her more likeable for fear if they showed too much she'd come off badly, but the end result is just blah.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

The actual Krispy Kreme here closed like 7 years ago or something (I think it's a Dairy Queen now), but they still sell Krispy Kreme branded donuts from at least one Walmart.

Anyway, I was on board with it because, even though it was product placement, you could tell they were trying to inject at least a little camp into it, what with Billy's conspiracy map and Rita trying to figure out what a donut even is during the Goldar attack.

It honestly looked more like Banks was just trying to decide which kind of donut she wanted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a short hop from there to Adam Sandler and Harvey Keitel shilling for Popeye's though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The original had a pretty rocking version of the theme song
And has Rita not ever been a big weirdo
And did the speculation of Rita having the dragon power coin or whatever with her throughout the movie and she's actually the green power ranger actually true?

Not a spoiler because it's literally the second shot of the entire movie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lol if you never used an ancient crystal or coin to morph into a superhero (or the magic of the car constellations)

...Is that what happened in Turbo? I genuinely have no memory of what the source of the powers there was supposed to be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

parallelodad posted:

They never said. The car constellations is from the sentai equivalent carranger. I just always assumed they were still using the Zeo Crystal to access the Morphin grid, just reconfigured because Zeo powers were good for fighting robots, but obviously pirates are weak against cars.

Well, duh, that's just science, I was wondering about in the fiction of the show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Depends, mostly. Some of them come from technology, like Space, Lightspeed, Time force, SPD, and RPM. Whereas the rest are mystical or a combination of both. Like I can imagine that the Turbo powers are a technological upgrade to the zeo powers since they share the same colors.

Except they came from that weird leprechaun guy... or... gently caress it, I'm gonna watch the Turbo movie between MST eps this weekend and try and work this out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I like to imagine Rito forgot something down in the command center's basement, which is why he just disappeared (I know the costume fell apart). Rito found the Zeo hanger but didn't know how to pilot them, so he's sitting there for decades trying to read Billy's handwritten operator's manual and trying to get out.

I assume Billy wrote them in shorthand, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently he donned blackface and avoided peace bond. Thankfully he made his intentions very clear to someone who called the cops, so he was easy to find when he took a brake after the stairs to read the con's programming. But jeez.

That last part is kinda amazing. Like... what, was he going to kill Frank and then hit up the Attack On Titan panel to ask Matt Mercer what Levi's favourite colour is?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

Have they worked in the hip youngster slang "squad up" into Power Rangers yet

edit: That reminds me, I'd probably watch Hip Hop Voltron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnX-GA9omNg

Dude, tag those spoilers for season 3 of Legendary Defender!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

And if the "new powers" stopped with that I'd have been fine with it as that season was at least partially adapted into Power Rangers. But then they started adding in pre-Zyuranger teams with no real reason other than laziness.

It wasn't even laziness, was it? I'm sure they reshot some of those scenes to make sure there was a Zyuranger suit in them. That smacks of incompetence, not lethargy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I think the campaign specifically is Hyper Force, but it is a system designed specifically for Power Rangers. They're gonna be doing a stream show of the campaign, with full backing from Saban. It's got Peter Sudarso and Paul Schrier as players.

Here's the promo, with theme song and everything.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientSweetTildeYee

edit:

Apparently the suit concepts were designed by Sudarso.

That just sounds like Sudarso showing his GM his sweet fanart and begging her to homebrew a PR campaign setting.

Also, I kinda hope they keep their dice in the morpher props they seem to be wearing at the table. It wouldn't be the goofiest power McGuffin in the franchise, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

The cast is good but the DM could be better

Paul's kind of carrying his scenes, probably because he's used to improv, and RP is basically improv with more math.
I feel like the GM is getting caught up on getting terminology correct rather than keep things flowing.