Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

We're never gonna see Dino Charge at this rate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Q1dqlsFVY

That tagline is gonna be stuck in my head forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Goushi talks to Gai actually, and if my memory doesn't fail me, it was the episode right after they found the Ultimate Treasure and were debating whether or not to sacrifice the previous Sentai teams to defeat the Zangyack. Goushi basically says "We love this planet, it doesn't matter if we disappear, just wish for everlasting peace since that's what's important."

This episode was alright, but I guess what gets me is in Gokaiger the other Sentai lost their powers. They might have still been doing stuff but their powers were still gone. In Super Megaforce the previous Rangers have, as far as I can tell, still kept their powers. So why is Jayden just kind of hanging around watching them fight instead of jumping in and lending a hand? Or all the other previous teams for that matter?

Because no one at Saban knows how to craft even a halfway cohesive narrative.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sleeping Sigma posted:

I suppose. It just caught me really off guard is all (I've never seen gekiranger, so I didn't see it coming).

Like, all of a sudden Camille's throat bulges weirdly and out pops this fly guy. Then she eats him again. If she was just her monster suit I wouldn't really care, but the fact that they use human Camille for it kinda weirds me out.

It wasn't any less weird the first time it happened in Gekiranger either if it makes you feel better.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'd love to see the current budget they have for the show compared to whatever budget they had under Disney and/or before Disney.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Have anything of Battle Fever found it's way into Super Megaforce?

I'd love to see general public reactions to that bit of weirdness.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
RIP Power Rangers.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

While we're on about "the quality of the translation", is this a TV-Nihon slam? I like their subs, but for whatever reason the internet has this ridiculous hate-boner for them.

Because their translations are notably bad. Occasionally completely missing the actual point of a sentence or leaving Japanese words in when they could be translated. The honorifics are mostly harmless but occasionally really bad.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah I think the reverse engineering thing was for Lightspeed Rescue not Lost Galaxy.

Lost Galaxy was basically their sendoff to full continuity.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

I always wanted a Supertrain toy and never got one :( (I did end up with all 3 main mechs from Time Force though).

I had a friend who had one. It was pretty awesome. And also loving HUGE. Like 2-2.5 feet tall I think. :iia:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

JT Smiley posted:

Don't forget the Samurai's red ranger was Japanese! At least according to the show he was....

That dude was whiter than Christmas morning. You can't fool me Saban.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Senerio posted:

Haven't you ever heard the legend of The Great White Samurai?

RIP Chris Farley.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

"Members of the press... Secretary of Defense, Doctor Thomas Oliver."

The thought of this makes me laugh almost as much as President Lex Luthor does. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So I'm watching Jungle Fury because I have nothing better to do right now and I'm about 2/3 the way through and I have some thoughts.
  • The theme is incredibly bland compared to others. I hate the Mystic Force theme but it was at least distinct.
  • I like the cast well enough and RJ is, in fact, the best.
  • The villains are.. well I don't know how to put it really. It's been a while since I saw Gekiranger but I would swear Rio was a lot more subdued. Not "ALL YELLING ALL THE TIME. I'M EVIL." like Jarrod is, just a menacing character who could beat the poo poo out of pretty much anything. Camille is also kinda creepy in her attraction to Dai-shi as opposed to Mele who just wanted to prove herself to Rio. Seriously what kind of villain name is Jarrod anyway?
  • Am I in the right for wishing a horrible, painful death upon whoever thought up this stupid loving motorcycle though? 'Cause it has no real place in this series about martial-arts and it looks terrible to boot.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can see it now: Legacy Super Train Megazord - $500.

We'd all still buy it though. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Is it a good or a bad thing they didn't bring over Mandora Boy?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah, unless those were the Masters pressed onto Blu-Ray it just is not worth it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Liar Lyre posted:

It's a fun episode with a story that keeps you guessing all the way. One of the better episodes of Turbo. :colbert:

Evil Pizzas. :colbert:

:v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Jsor posted:

When I was a kid, I saw the Turbo movie and like two episodes of Turbo and and said "cars? Screw this." Then I stopped watching Power Rangers altogether.

Really the only seasons I've seen are MMPR, large chunks of Zeo, and RPM. I should really try the other seasons sometime but... that's a lot of episodes. I did try to watch a few episodes of Samurai, but I really couldn't get past the hokey plotting, characterization, and acting immediately after seeing RPM.

Here are the first 15 episodes of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger (translated by a not poo poo group) for your viewing pleasure.

Seriously watch it. For as mediocre as Power Rangers: Samurai is Shinkenger is very good.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SKY COQ posted:

Non, non, non. I have fixed it for you.

Tres bien.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they want to use stuff from Kyoruger vs Go-Busters (and they probably do) they have to shoe-horn the Busters in there somehow.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Solaris Knight posted:

Mystic Force unfortunately falls sandwiched between the worst/ one of the well liked seasons in SPD and Overdrive, and Jungle FUry has the same issue with OO and RPM.

Coincidentally, two of the best rangers, and best Sixths are in those seasons, so I have a lot of bias, but I think part of why they get glossed over is that they're genre first, Ranger centric. What I mean by that is that MF's a fantasy show with Rangers instead of knights, and Jungle Fury is martial arts with Rangers, contrast that with RPM and SPD, where the balance between those two elements is a lot better balanced.

I am still unreasonably upset about that stupid motorcycle.

Other than that it's a pretty decent show. Not the best in the world but still a fine choice for a watch. Just be careful about watching with headphones cause Yellow is shrill as hell when she starts Hi-Yah-ing. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kyoruger, SPD, Shinkenger (Samurai is pretty bad), Jungle Fury and/or Mystic Force.

Get your Subs from Over-Time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Nick was Red yeah?

drat, that guy couldn't act to save his life.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The actual relationship coming to fruition was only really jarring in that there was no formal buildup to it. Everything that did/could build it up was very background (the little things like how they interact with each other) until Yayoi showed up and even then the two were still oblivious to anything between them other than their friendship and being teammates.

It's not something you completely cannot see happening, it just comes out of left-field because they didn't really bring it up as anything other than a joke until the end and at that point there's no time for buildup we have Monsters to defeat and a World to save.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

There was a Los Angeles PD cop car in today's Super Megaforce. I wonder how they got it in New Zealand.

Call up the studio's prop department and have them get the same model car in white, then print up some decals to make it look like an LAPD vehicle and slap them, a front guard, and some lights on.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Neo Saban is the worst thing to happen to Power Rangers since the indecisiveness of Turbo's writers. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Man. You are like the polar opposite of 90% of this thread and the Toku thread in ADTRW. :psyduck:

I like ToQGer a good bit (I enjoy the childlike glee it has, or had rather, the last 2 episodes were a lot meatier and more serious) but I wouldn't call it better than Kyoryuger 'cause it falls short in a couple of areas (or almost all areas, depending on who you ask).

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 20, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I feel I should say that I liked the last 2 episodes of ToQGer but for different reasons than why I liked the rest of the series so far. The last 2 episodes lacked the childlike glee that I enjoyed in every other episode but they had genuine developments on all sides and the more serious tone isn't a put off.

ToQGer's villains really are the best though. Scheming and backstabbery abound.

E: Sentai is fine in here. It's the Super Sentai and Power Rangers thread after all.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Sadly Den-O is also one of their worst "productions" as far as leaving poo poo untranslated goes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I still say they've gotten better about it over the years. Yeah, they leave the honourifics in, so you get weird things like "Belt-san" in Drive, but that's just how they roll.

(I like the honourifics. It bugs the poo poo out of me watching a sub which doesn't use them, like Kamen Rider the First. :v:)

According to Magenta's roasts of their Gaim Subs, they really haven't. Honorifics isn't even the problem people have with their subs.

And honestly I don't think anyone is too bothered by honorifics. That "issue" mostly comes down to the personal tastes of the subber and the audience. Some people like honorifics, some people don't. I don't really care either way, but I wouldn't tell someone not to watch a perfectly good sub just because they use honorifics. Being just plain bad subs on the other hand...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

As someone who doesn't speak Japanese, how do I know if TVN did good or not?

Is there something in the translation that's still in Japanese (that isn't a proper noun)? If yes the translation probably isn't that good.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SKY COQ posted:

"Packy Charger, Engage! Energize! Unleash The Power! Pachycephalosaurus Power Ranger Graphite!"

That'll be quite the mouthful for a low-paid actor.

Also given that the sounds are on the morpher I bet the Talon Ranger will get some sort of Green with Evil arc.

If they try to make an evil ranger that changes sides out of Deathryuger they would be terminally insane. They have like 4 fights worth of existing footage with the suit (one of which is from the start of 100 Years After and really doesn't fit with the rest because of it) so anything other than just an evil ranger will come down to new footage and they're cheap as hell nowadays.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Every year Japan sends Saban a box full of parts to their awesome show. Attached are a set of somewhat vague instructions that could be interpreted in a multitude of way to use the parts in the box to make something pretty good.

Every year Saban fucks it up somehow.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They're still on Nick aren't they? This'll definitely be split into 2 seasons and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wade: "We're moving to a new site guys. We're mentioning this at the end of every podacast."

Doesn't update new site. :argh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

If it'll make Burk angry, then I vote yes. Do I get to drink beforehand, or do I have to do it sober?

I say that's your call. I don't know how good/bad Dragon Knight is exactly though. I haven't heard much about it other than it exists.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I like to think that if Masked Rider had been good it might have been successful enough to bring more Riders over.

The potential for Masked Rider W, were our protagonist is basically Batman, is just too appealing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Raserys posted:

Protagonists. :colbert:

You are correct but there can only be one Batman. The other protagonist would be like Robin at best. Or maybe Batgirl. Or Girl-Robin. But not Batman.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Child actors kinda live and die off the back of whatever director they're working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Tae posted:

Now granted, I haven't actually watched Dino Charge but Koryu Red basically fought his dinozord by sliding down a mountain, via a falling boulder he shot to make fall, then purposely got eaten to shoot the inside of his mouth to tame it in the first 10 minutes. Does Dino Charge Red do anything like that?

No. Gabutyra (Tyranozord I think he's called here) gets mentioned as rampaging in the second episode but nothing comes of it and he's just tame as soon as Red arrives on the scene to fight the MotW.

Also yeah Jivjov how do you mention the meh batteries and completely overlook Ovirapoo? :v: