Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My guess: The Go-Bus suits are a tier upgrade (like Mega/SuperMega) and the Vagrass are secondary villains/minions. Alternatively, they just use the monsters and Dark Buster Enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

Neo Saban naming go!:
Power Rangers MeGa Battle
Power Rangers Super MeGa Battle

Power Rangers Global Squad

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

That's bad news for both Power Rangers and Star Trek 3. Cause that guy knows more about how to make action movies, but also is terrible at making Star Trek movies.

I honestly don't know how low we can sink after SuperMegaForce

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

The extra rangers of Kyoryuger are the best ones, but because of that, they get no screentime. :negative:. Ucchy counts as extra in this case.

Cyan 2 needed more screen time and an episode with her and Nossan being STRONG at enemies

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

All of PR is already on Netflix, and a huge part of the audience doesn't watch TV anymore, they have Netflix.

Perhaps more importantly, they can skew a little bit older AND maybe, JUST MAYBE, try subbing tokusatsu for Netflix.

What's the market data on the Boys demos (the target demo, not necessarily the audience) that get programming via TV versus online? That basically the issue. If there's still a significant portion watching via broadcasts, regardless of network, then there's no real reason to go full digital.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

So I just finished marathoning Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger + 100 Years After, and effort post incoming, but I didn't think it was very good.

The premise and characters were neat. I actually really liked the Battery aspect of the series because of what it allowed, the borrowing of powers and the like to do enhanced supermoves. I liked all of the characters; there weren't any that were annoying or bothersome, and they were actually characters instead of two dimensional cutouts or whatever.

But other then that it failed to deliver, I felt, mostly out of personal preference.

I don't like the idea of a base mecha that doesn't require all of the base rangers. Even after the introduction of the Sixth Ranger mecha, it still didn't use all of the machines all the time. Even the Ultimate Mecha of the series didn't use all 10 mechs, which was terrible to me.

In the same line, I didn't like how they had all these rangers but never used them. I understand the worry of the scenes getting too cramped with 10 rangers all the time, but it still felt weird. The worst one of this was Torin, to me. Torin was kind of a rarity to me, as a character. He was a mentor character who got out and constantly did stuff. It often seemed like the majority of episodes involved Torin going out to do things with the rangers, even fighting Dogold and other knights, while heavily injured to the point that he could have died. But then when he gets healed, rather then taking advantage of the fact he can finally fight, he actually shows up even less then he did when he was hurt. It's oddly uncharacteristic considering the show actually had characters and their actions fit their characters. Even in that case, is 7 really too many?

I felt like the ending of the series was kind of smashed together, as well. They shoved a lot of plot into the last few episodes that could have been started a lot earlier; the whole plotline with Dogold and Endolf was extremely slow burning but that was because it spent something like a dozen episodes never being referenced at all; The new Sorrowful and Joyful Knights suffered a similar fate, having so little time to actually establish themselves before being unceremoniously booted out the door.

I didn't not like it, but it seemed quite weak.

Especially because I'd been watching ToQger before that and, to me, excluding the kind of meh design of the base mecha, ToQger is a fantastic show that I really enjoy and seems to definitely be the superior of the two.

I'll agree with the villain side of the story in that it felt underdeveloped at the end and the underutilization of the extra rangers (I specifically mean the second Cyan who never really got a scene with Nossan being STRONG and BRAVE as a Brother/Sister team). That being said, the mecha not utilizing all of the rangers isn't necessarily unheard of and it doesn't really detract from anything since they're usually more token things anyway. 10 really is too many rangers so as to give them all due service and Torin already got a few scenes being a badass outside of his suit.

A lot of why I liked it is the high energy and the sheer inertia of it. Each episode is brimming with energy from the main cast and its enough to carry most episodes. ToQ, on the other hand, would probably be even more underwhelming if not for the fact taht the villains and their machinations against each other can turn an otherwise boring episode into something great. The rangers themselves aren't really all that interesting or unique which also hurts it. Right (and King too) are pretty bland characters with about as much depth as a puddle. They make up for it with their energy, and interactions, but at least in Kyoryuger, the other rangers can stand alone without needing to bounce off of each other.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

I'd put money on Super Dino Charge in 2016 with a heavy focus on the four extra Rangers.

Would probably be more focus than they got in Kyoryuger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did this ever get posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK6WmkPNlRU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

I just realised, looking over the trailer again, not only do they have an original villain, but also, original footage of him alongside some of the villain suits from Kyoryuger. So we might... also get original villain footage in their base? I mean, dude's got a spaceship, so I doubt they'll be able to as easily use the Deboss base with its internal organ aesthetic.

I would assume so. What a bounty hunter has to do with trying to destroy a planet is kinda beside the point, but the interior of his ship in the preview shows a completely different aesthetic that's not exactly inspiring. They're is a distinct lack of Torin too so once the Silver Ranger comes around they'll have to make new out of suit footage

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

I guess I'm the odd man out, because I didn't think Keeper looked all that bad. Now Sledge, that guy looks like poo poo and doesn't mesh with the sentai villains at all.

Keeper looks fine. The mouth moves a little and his eyes blink. That's more than you can ask for most rubber suits like that. CGI was passable, but the Zord looked way too much like a toy. Sledge did look like crap though. I could swear his green parts under his armor looked like cloth or fabric and just made it look cheap and dull. He looks so out of place with the rest. I miss Luckyroo also.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I just caught up on Dino Charge. They removed Luckiero, 0/10.

Seriously though, the series is remarkably not awful. They even kept in some of the catchphrases!

I'm sad about that as well. It wouldn't be too hard to write him in as Sledge and Poisandra's child or something, but I guess they just don't want to find someone short enough to fit in the costume.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I can't bring myself to like this. It reads like a sci-fi story with Power Rangers co-opted to fit into its narrative rather than anything to do with Power Rangers. If you replaced the opening cut with people in Starship Troopers outfits, it'd run and play out exactly the same way.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah and it seems that even Saban realized it for a while, since from Lost Galaxy to Wild Force all the Rangers were adults(and Disney kept jumping back and forth on that topic as well)

For the most part, Sentai is pretty ambiguous as to the ages of its members except when it directly ties into the plot (like Dekaranger or Go-Buster). Otherwise, the default is typically young adults in their 20s

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Except why have it be grim dark at all?

I've seen plenty of people who want SERIOUS or MATURE Power Rangers, which is possible if not plausible.

Look I'll be frank on this- I'm planning a serious original series inspired by Power Rangers. If things go well, it'd be a comic series, and its entirely built from my love for the genre, tokustatsu in general.

The super simple plot summary is as follows- Threats from outer space are attacking the Earth, five young adults with other worldly power are the only things that can stop them.

Because that's fine. You can have outlandish things in a serious work.

What it comes down to, as was expertly put above- execution. You can have the shittiest idea in the world, but if you're smart and it has good writing, no one will care because it's good.

A lot of the older Super Sentai works basically follow something similar where some strange threat appears and a group of 3-5 people aided by technology or magic or whatever are the only ones who can stop this threat from doing whatever the gently caress it's planning. Adding guns and tits and violence doesn't make something Serious and Mature. Only a child would think that. Dealing with the consequences of actions or the realities of life is what makes it Serious and Mature.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

And we've looped back around to why the Nolan flicks didn't actually do anything all that interesting with the concept of Batman. It was great at presenting Batman as something kinda-maybe-almost plausible, but then rarely following through on the ridiculous implications of what it presented in favor of "hey don't you want to see (fan thing) done in NOLAN STYLE?" On a similar note the Star Wars Prequels, for all the deserved poo poo they get, at least made a first draft attempt at being about the politics of a Republic and how a Fascist State could be formed.

A "serious and mature" take on Sentai would involve the child soldiers angle and be about "boring" things like the politics of government and intergalatic alien factions, the role of media in engaging these Sentai characters, and how such fallout affects their personal lives and relationships, with fights to punctuate things like musical numbers. Played right with rival Sentai characters for the other armies and it could actually be pretty interesting, almost Game of Thrones-y with an even more basic "Allegiances to one of several Houses" angle to it to keep the soap operatics fresh and engaging. Violence and Sex don't even enter the equation except as flavor.

I wouldn't say other armies really. Multiple factions, yes. But armies are a bit much. Aping Kamen Rider Gaim's set up is closer to what a Mature version of Power Rangers might be and it's still as toyetic as any other Rider series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Well factions in general. I kept thinking of "the Machine Army" while I was writing that. My point stands.

IMO, there'd be three sets at most. One is the main team with stuff from an otherwise benevolent source. There's a military based group and then there's a private group whose source is questionable or at best, unknown. Any more characters and the plot couldn't support them adequately given that it would be hard enough to support one team.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always thought the "constantly wears their Ranger color" thing was pretty silly anyway outside of shows where it made sense, like SPD or RPM.

I always imagined Tommy, after he became the White Ranger, going "poo poo! I have all these green shirts, now I have to throw them all in the trash and buy a bunch of white ones."

EDIT: Also finally got around to checking out Dino Charge and while I have some reservations about the series (Keeper looks terrible) it really is quite good.

For what it's worth, that was in Sentai as well with the added cartoonish detail of always appearing in the same outfits, even when it's not a uniform

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I have a feeling that they're simplifying Torin to be one of the guys locked up that reforms upon coming to Earth/being defeated before becoming Silver.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

That's because Super Sentai is like pre Crisis DC, where everything takes place in different universes until they don't. So in each series thatj has a different reason, that's the reason in that universe.

Only apparently, Kakuranger and Hurricanger now exist in Ninninger too.

Again, until they don't.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the most recent episode mentions that the Zord is awake which means the Energem is bonded to someone, but they don't know who. I guess that's one way to avoid having to introduce Cyan--excuse me, Aqua--at this point. Yeah, I don't get it either, do they think kids won't know what cyan is or something? Anyway this makes a bit of sense, if they introduced him this early they'd have to come up with a convenient excuse for him to immediately leave again due to him not being in any of the fight footage. Or they could shoot a bunch of original footage but that wasn't likely to happen, so this provides an excuse for him not being around while also admitting that he exists.

Aqua is a cooler sounding color compared to Cyan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Maybe now it will shift into Gold-Centricism as he tries to kick everybody's asses for grandpa attention.

Also, Marvelous->Troy was an atrocity, but everybody in the main cast of Dino Charge is a perfect cinnamon roll, so it kind of makes up for it in my book.

6th getting focus for a few episodes is typical after their introduction

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

My heart is under arrest.

She was already KyoryuCyan so her coming back wasn't as much a surprise

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Shinkenger had a great design and I love their helmets.

I love the Go-Buster suits partially because there's no spandex, but mostly because they're just really good.

There's no spandex and they look like tactical operations gear complete with harnesses. The amount of leg on yellow's outfit is a non issue though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Testekill posted:

Yeah, they're essentially a foil to Doctor K herself. They all grew up in an organisation where they never really were able to be functional adults and then Gem & Gemma were prisoners on top of that and had been fending for themselves in a wasteland. Is it any wonder why they're unhinged and the first option the jump to is to explode everything?

For a PR or sentai series, it's relatively dark on the side of the protagonists. It's very much on par with Kamen Rider though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Clearly, it means that the toys have to be planned first with the toys written around it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Power Rangers Shuriken comes exclusively to Netflix in 2017

So Power Rangers is becoming a Netflix-exclusive show, and they're not making a ToQger adaptation. Not a fan of this news...

The not adapting ToQger was to be expected. The Netflix exclusivity is news, however. Is Nickelodeon not pulling in enough ratings to justify toy sales? Or is online viewing for their latest season more effective than TV viewing in pushing sales? :iiam:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, the title is misleading. This was Zord madness, no Mega, so of course individual zords get the advantage over a car that's an arm of a megazord.

MMPR stuff getting this far is bullshit tho, Quantum Rex should be there.

To be fair, they have three seasons worth of Zords to use whereas every other series gets the one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Wait wait wait.

Are they seriously calling Gray Graphite? :psyduck:

Graphite sounds cooler than gray. They could've used iron or steel instead so idk what they were thinking

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh man, the purple zord is pretty nice, it's a cool water-based zord, it'll probably be a kickass arm. :allears:

:stare: oh it flies. oh it has laser eye beams. oh it can go to space. oh it's a one-zord megazord. :stare: that was pretty hardcore

By the end of Kyoryuger, they could field 4 or 5 full mecha iirc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Five. Kyoryuzin, Pteraidenoh, Plezuoh, Bragioh and Spinodaioh.

Sadly we got them using all of them only once, because man, having an entire Sentai out of robots is pretty cool.

Forgot about Spinodaioh because he came from a movie but did show up a few times in the series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

ninninger mechs have been on-point, barring the one combo where shurikenjin just sits in the chair shaped like the lion mech

gekiatsu daioh is especially cool, both in style and how they introduced it in the story

Panda and Dolphin plus the other Four Directional Beasts is a little weird though. I really wonder how that was decided.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The one after Nin2 also looks adaptable, if not for the mecha literally being blocky.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

It is because there are no new ideas at Saban :ssh:

Check out an episode or two of Glitter Force, their English dub of Smile Precure on Netflix, and you'll understand that Saban basically knows how to make one show exactly, and you can only pray that the remixed characterizations are amusing. Saban did a pretty good job with Dino Charge, for example, and made some pretty likeable and interesting Power Rangers this time. Glitter Force, on the other hand, feels really condescending and lifeless. Both are very similar shows in what they aim to achieve, which is to strip as much Japan out of the source material as possible while still preserving story beats, and both rely on really simple super-hero/fantasy tropes to fill in the void where a slightly more complicated or less easy to pronounce thing previously was.

Honestly, I think the evil space gameshow gimmick could work really well. Ninninjer's entire roll-call and schtick is practically a wrestling promo on its own ("Ninjas that don't hide"), and it's a good excuse to use an Alien who doesn't quite distinguish properly between earth cultures as a Cowboy Ninja.

StarNinja Ranger is from space (hence the five pointed star) and is totally an Earth culture fanboy as well as a fan of the show. He's such a fanboy, he made his own gear in the event he gets on the show. That's what I'd wager.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

The one exception to the series being entirely Red-centric I can think of is Dairanger...where the focus was instead on the green, ShishiRanger (hilariously named Daigo, as if predicting Kyoryuger many years later), and later switched hard to KibaRanger...who was so loving annoying that I had to stop watching and never returned. I wouldn't be surprised if it became more RyuuRanger-centric afterwards, though.

Gokaiger also became quite Silver-centric at one point, to the point that it was Gai that gave the final blow of the series, but apart from that Marvelous clearly commanded the spotlight. Which was cool, because Marvelous is cool as hell, and the others still got a lot of chances to shine and be awesome.

It's typical for Sixth's to get a few episodes of focus when they're first introduced iirc, but Gokaiger wasn't all that Red-centric or Sixth-centric in general.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mateo360 posted:

This is what happens when you Mech is made entirely out of blocks

And yet the suit will probably be relatively okay if it's anything like the first one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
ToQ was fun, but ultimately the villains stole the show in that series

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your post was inaccurate.

Your post is also inaccurate because of Ticket

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And of course there's Ron Wasserman's classic music which is still an identifying mark of the franchise to this day.

I emailed Ron years ago and asked him about the MMPR song; apparently, he was some dude at Saban who did backing tracks for other stuff, and he whipped up a really rough tune as a concept or whatever. He forwarded it up the chain to see if they wanted him to go down that path and develop the song into something better produced, and they accepted his rough draft as a completed song and just rolled forward with it :v:

it's such a shame he got tired of working for PR. I understand not wanting to be forever associated with the series, but it's still a bit of a shame. He did come back for SPD at least and that was good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Does anyone have a link to that compilation video of every time they say "Super Mega" in Super Megaforce?

Like some sort of Super-Mega-cut?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I imagine there's gonna be a bit of post process effects done on her and her staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, if they made Rita the green ranger at the end instead, I wouldn't mind