Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Wow, I did not expect Akibaranger to go all Life on Mars on my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh man I just caught up with the first episode of Season 2 of Akibaranger and Of course they complete gently caress with the continuity. What a gloriously weird show.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

PerrineClostermann posted:

I have a feeling that's actually going to be a plot point.

Oh I have no doubt about it, but for a good five minutes I was wondering if I had gone slightly mad.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Man there is just some brutal ADR in this first episode

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This season at least seems to be aiming a little higher than Megaforce in the week to week quality of the episodes, it's still not amazing but it's a step up.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Alright so what's the behind the scenes story on Dino Charge? This feels so much more competent than everything since RPM in a bunch of ways. The story seems to hold together well, characters seem way better defined and the integration with the sentai footage feels more natural.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Andrew_1985 posted:

So after watching the first 2 episodes of the new Dino Charge season, I have gotta say I already love Hekyl.

Snide's a generic baddy, but Hekyl is just having so much fun that he steals the show.

He's pretty good proof that you can take your usual Power Rangers level of writing and sell it by just going balls out on the performance side.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wow, Nick's scheduling is kind of awful. I'd watched up until episode 8 of Dino Super Charge and then fell out of it, so tonight I thought "Hey I'll go ahead and finish up Dino Super Charge since it's been like six month." And then I go looking for the episodes only to find out that they only just started showing it again a couple of weeks ago and I've only missed three episodes.

Can't have kids away at summer camp dent those ratings

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I don't know if it's just a DirecTV streaming issue but having a Nickelodeon bump tell me that I'm watching Power Rangers Dino Charge during Ninja Steel makes me think maybe they don't give a gently caress about this franchise.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So just to confirm: Seymour fucks?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They were like surprisingly committed to that 2001 parody.

Oh poo poo the Kentia hall sign

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh nice they've somehow ripped an episode and dropped the centre channel audio so it's a weird mime show.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I'm guessing they've just dropped the centre channel but we're still getting L/R. Either that or it's something way more esoteric and weird.

Edit: The crossover in library music usage between Buffy and Ninja Storm is harrowing

J33uk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 21, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah, you could probably reuse some assets but you're still looking at doing all the rigging, lighting and compositing over again. It's not going to be enough of a factor to save the franchise and to be honest, even those toy numbers aren't that nutty. A 180% increase when comparing a year with a show spinning down (Dino Charge) to an all new show with Ninja Steel and a movie is nice but it isn't going to make those box office numbers look any better. It's a bummer but I think the dream is looking pretty dead short of some sort of insane home video business getting done and home video is not what it once was at all.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

If not for the fact that part of the marketing was still targeting the same audience that normal PR was aiming for, I'd say the money might've been better spent on a limited mini-series on Netflix or HBO or something. Maybe 7 episodes or something.

I can't see HBO wanting to touch it all but I could certainly see Netflix/Hulu/Amazon doing something tonally in line with what the movie delivered. I mean with Netflix cashing in so hard on the 80's nostalgia they've got to hit the 90's eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Finally got around to watching it. Clunky plot, rough dialogue, kinda rushed fight choreography and I don't think I'll ever like CGI Zords... I loved it. They're the Power Rangers and if you aren't on board for them to loving end (wait, we can say kill now!) Rita from the start then go watch something else. Netflix isn't perfect and yes this is a clear nostalgia play but you know what? I've made it to middle age, I get to enjoy things like this now. Only thing missing? Surely we could wrangled the Dragonzord in there somehow. Say it's all pissed about Tommy and it's just showing up to wreck some baddies.