Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Like the war convoys constantly looming in the distance, this film is going to cast a long shadow over the year. What a loving triumph.

How the hell does a franchise come back after 30 years and completely dickpunt its vaunted predecessors off the wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

A bit of credit for Immorten Joe's crazy doctor. He clearly had a demented joy for his work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

THE ORGANIC MECHANIC

Everything in this movie has the best loving names.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I cannot wait til I can see this again. What a feeling. This must have been what it was like to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark back in 1981.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Genitals Intact

Hello next tattoo idea.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

effectual posted:

Road Warrior ...?

It details where he was captured.

EDIT: Also, haha these guys think he needs to be muzzled at all times. THESE guys.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Ditto, also it made me think of Indiana Jones 4 and angry at the movie again.

That's what I was feeling after seeing it. Pretty much the only thing that makes me unhappy about Fury Road is that this is the kind of return to form I wanted for Indiana Jones.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Here's some cool pics from the set, courtesy of Theron's stunt double.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/news/a35036/mad-max-fury-road-behind-the-scenes-stunt-pics/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Psykmoe posted:

his idol calls him mediocre which devastates him

Nux dies twice in this movie. This is the first time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

I loving told you all this would happen.

Yeah, but who really gives a poo poo? That post is on Tumblr, where you can point and scream ableism and fatphobia without going into those issues, for a reason. The audience for these poo poo-for-brainses are the same people who couldn't even throw together a decent con.

Anyway, I'm looking at those car images, and I just feel sad. The imagination on display here is stunning, and it makes my own little post apocalypse car designs look like babby's first death ride. And they're all real. REAL.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Somebody out there is gonna make some sweet home brew lego versions.

Some of the poo poo Lego currently sells is already there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

:negative:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Red Pyramid posted:

This anti-feminist backlash on the right is adorable. How does one become an MRAer? Just never have sex, ever?

The easiest way is to ignore any actual issues that affect men in favor of long winded rants against women, feminism, and equality of every stripe, from gender to race to religion and anything else. Don't forget to brand yourself a "realist" when challenged on your bullshit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

The puppet in that video is based on this guy:

And the other puppet the channel uses is based on his partner, this stunning example of manhood:

And they had a recent falling out when the hairy dude criticized a guy who blames feminism for making him wipe his rear end. A guy who the bald dude idolizes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

What was the name of the, I guess, head warboy in her convoy? The one who would keep coming up to her door to give status reports? Older, prime NCO material.

I think he was the Prime Imperitor, played by this guy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636280/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t29

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jynetik posted:

I think that was the guy on the gigahorse with Joe at the end who Furiosa head-butts, you saw him a couple of times basically Joe's right-hand man

I think you're right. I really don't know enough of the names of the characters. I guess I've got no choice but to see this movie again.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

God, I will never get tired of those wide shots of the armada.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

I watched the Asylum version Road Wars

It was :mediocre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlVDXXBOzE

Extremely bland and pedestrian, Mad Max + zombie vampires. I'll say this for the myriad of Road Warrior rip-offs they made in the 80s, most of those were made by people who were trying to make something unique, rather than just product.

I remember a time when Asylum would have tried to be more extreme than its parody target. We should have gotten Fury Road vs. Snowpiercer from this studio.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If you find yourself wanting that anime prequel, I suggest you go watch RedLine. It's like if Wacky Racers did Fury Road as a competitive, intergalactic sport. It's not nearly as intense or impressive as Fury Road, but it is stylish and has some great vehicle designs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Thread, tonight I've got enough time for a single movie. I've seen all three of the original Mad Max films, but only Road Warrior ever more than once. Having watched that one recently, which of the other two should I check out tonight?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

I would like to bring everyone's attention to the fact that in Japan, the film will be released in June as Mad Max: Death Road of Fury. :black101:

Man, I would love to see Fury Road in a Japanese theater. I really miss them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

victrix posted:

I've never seen one before, anything interesting about them?

The screens were really nice, the seating was very comfortable and spread out, and no one talked. While I was stationed in Japan, there were three I went to, all the same.

Plus, there's just something about Japanese trailers I enjoy, with their giant white kanji on the screen and serious guy voiceovers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Isn't that true for most of the Max movies? It's usually Max stumbling into somebody else's adventure.

Yeah, and I actually really like that when it happens in film. It's part of what makes Big Trouble in Little China so good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Efexeye posted:

Who cares, it's just made up poo poo for nerds who want to throw money at the franchise.

I wanna throw money at this franchise in the form of lots of models.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lycus posted:

This was steampunk?

Dieselpunk, maybe.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's all moot anyway. No one's selling fetishes of the cars for me to buy anyway.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is R.O.T.O.R. a Mad Max clone? Its poster sure seems to think so.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

R.O.T.O.R. is amazing

I'll have to watch it. I've never seen it, but it is my go to example of just how loving amazing movie posters used to be.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

idk if the nuclear war is actually supposed to come after road warrior, you can easily assume it to have brought things to that level in the first place(although they weren't aiming for that angle yet when they made that movie)

Road Warrior opens with video of nuclear explosions, doesn't it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I got to WITNESS the movie a second time today, and what I noticed now is how the time with Furiosa, Cheedo, Toast, Capable, Angharad, Nux, and The Dag humanizes Max. He goes from someone barely able to speak, who's constantly on edge, to someone who cares for the band he's been saddled with. And they care for him right back. Not only that, but they're willing to put a lot of faith in him.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Aw, was this the first time you saw a movie? That's called character development and pretty much happens in any story worth telling.

I can't even remember the first time I saw a movie. I think it was Gremlins. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Saw it again tonight. Still amazing but going into it knowing what happens does make it lose a little bit of luster. Like seeing the full body reveal of Godzilla in the latest movie; gave me chills the first time, the second time was just as impressive but no chills.

Question about the beginning, when Nux and his Lancer are approaching the War Rig: After they drive all the buzzards off, Nux's lancer starts yelling something at the War Rig. I swear it sounds like he's yelling "human being! human being!" :psyduck: My ears must be broken because I can't think of any reason, in-universe or real life for him to be yelling that. What was he actually yelling?

They're yelling "Fang it!". Furiosa says the same thing to her crew after the flares go up calling for Gas Town and The Bullet Farm.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my god.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Are there any good images of The People Eater's war rig?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

grobbo posted:

I freaking adore the Vuvalini.

I'm in total agreement, especially regarding The Valkyrie. It's interesting that she gets offed almost immediately. Normally, in this kind of set up, her death would come much later in the battle as some kind of stakes-raising moment. Instead, she spears one car and then gets taken out of the fight (The People Eater was clearly getting off over running her down, if you needed another reason to hate him). Despite her incredibly brief screen time, she was my favorite character. I hope the Vuvalini get their own spinoff comics too.

SwaddleDog4Lyfe.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

freelop posted:

Although it is clear Immortan Joe is evil, it makes it seem like he isn't hate filled.

Immortan Joe gets a lot of moments you don't usually see given to villains in film. He's the one who warns Angharad about the rocks that ultimately lead to her death. I mean, his reasons are entirely self serving, but there's still real concern in his voice.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love that The Citadel, Gas Town, and The Bullet Farm apparently steal vehicles from each other.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The People Eater also delivers the most on-the-nose (heh) war analogy line when, after rattling off the costs (all resources, not lives), he states "And now you've got us stuck in this quagmire!"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think The Keeper of Seeds was an eagle-eye-tarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

You all literally arguing with me that I agree with you but need to agree with you more is insane.

What's insane is that tow-truck-turned-mobile-chainsaw the Buzzards had. Somebody stat that thing, quicklike.

• Locked thread