Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
parara
Apr 9, 2010

Clipperton posted:

I think after Max's escape attempt you see him with a sheet of plastic(?) wrapped round his face, that might be enough to get NecroMonster off

It's like two seconds long though and very frantic so good luck blowing your load to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I now really want to see Wes Anderson's Mad Max.

It's called Delicatessen

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The contrarian-for-the-sake-of-it, attention whoring Hot Takes were bound to get out of tumblr eventually. :shrug:

Reminds me of how Dredd had 100% excellent reviews for like a month and all of a sudden a bunch a of suspect bad reviews came out of the woodwork. Somebody's gotta put it in it's place! Right?

That review is really something else. Dude should probably not be reviewing movies.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Saw this on Saturday with my wife. Not gonna bore with sentences of "holy shits" and "chrome!" cause clearly, yeah, you more experience it, endure it, than watch it.

Anyway, something I thought was interesting but don't recall seeing much said about, was Immortan Joe smacking the dash mounted compass that was spinning..

I know it probably doesn't mean much, but it made me wonder if things were so hosed that it affected the magnetic field.

:shrug:

Love the Mad Max world and thinking about just what the hell happened.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Isn't the compass thing right before they go into the dust? I thought it was just showing the effects of the crazy electrical storm inside.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I freaking adore the Vuvalini.

So much of pop culture has the trope where, ten minutes before the final battle, the outnumbered hero joins up with an army of good guys. It's cheering, uplifting, inspiring. Their real purpose - to get slaughtered by the bad guys during the final battle, leaving the hero intact.

The Vuvalini are different. Not just because they're more imaginative than usual, or because we find ourselves instinctively rooting for the fragile-looking little old grannies against the ferocious horde. But also because the film's humanistic (and smartly constructed) enough that no death comes cheap. No redshirts rush the villain and get instantly wiped out with a comical scream to demonstrate his power. The camera focuses on them. It treats every one of them as a person and a loss.

During my first showing, I think every granny-biker that went down during the final fight earned a groan of pain or a reaction from the audience. And despite the film telling us absolutely nothing about her, the Valkyrie's steely, unmelodramatic attempt to kill Joe was one of my favourite moments.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

grobbo posted:

I freaking adore the Vuvalini.

I'm in total agreement, especially regarding The Valkyrie. It's interesting that she gets offed almost immediately. Normally, in this kind of set up, her death would come much later in the battle as some kind of stakes-raising moment. Instead, she spears one car and then gets taken out of the fight (The People Eater was clearly getting off over running her down, if you needed another reason to hate him). Despite her incredibly brief screen time, she was my favorite character. I hope the Vuvalini get their own spinoff comics too.

SwaddleDog4Lyfe.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Seeing it again tonight.

I can't remember the last movie I saw twice.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

gileadexile posted:

Saw this on Saturday with my wife. Not gonna bore with sentences of "holy shits" and "chrome!" cause clearly, yeah, you more experience it, endure it, than watch it.

Anyway, something I thought was interesting but don't recall seeing much said about, was Immortan Joe smacking the dash mounted compass that was spinning..

I know it probably doesn't mean much, but it made me wonder if things were so hosed that it affected the magnetic field.

Love the Mad Max world and thinking about just what the hell happened.

The sandstorm was loving with the compass.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

The sandstorm was loving with the compass.

Figured I was overthinking.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

gileadexile posted:

Figured I was overthinking.
Overthinking movies is very goony.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Great Rumbler posted:

Armond White, and here is his review of Fury Road, in case you were interested:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/418459/maximized-madness-armond-white posted:
None of this mindless madness is meant to scare you as Jurassic Park did. Miller’s action-cinema ferocity is hollow. His apocalyptic circus has video-game spectacle but no cinematic power; its revved-up imagery is unconnected to an understanding of what sensation and violence have done to our souls. That was the real point of Jurassic Park as well as of Neveldine/Taylor’s unnerving pre-apocalypse satire in the Crank series, Gamer, Jonah Hex, and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Neveldine/Taylor stepped up action cinema and stepped forward philosophically, whereas Miller applies the intellectual version of what race-car drivers call “drag.”

TerminalBlue posted:

Oh what fun it must be to never watch a movie without your sole intention being to pick it apart for whatever signs of bias you can find real or imagined.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Anita Sarkeesian has deemed this film not feminist.
Like y'all understand that's not her tweeting, right?

Anytime it's an Armond White style "take contrary position on big pop culture thing" you know it's McIntosh.

Milky Moor posted:

no don't you get it the twitter celebrity that people mindlessly parrot as the smartest person in video games and who made some youtube videos where she talks in a monotone documentaries is always right
You sound really... mad

They're putting more effort into it

ImpAtom posted:

The funny thing about the MRA bullshit is that the film is actually drat male-positive.

It's a refutation of the aggressive masculinity-driven culture but at the same time it paints the warboys as victims of that culture, not willing participants. It emphasizes that what they needed wasn't being killed but empathy and kindness and the ability to express themselves rather than being driven towards violence by their culture and rather-unsubtly by a father figure who considers them mediocre if they make a misstep. Max's own journey isn't much different. It isn't about Men Are Bad but that the violence-driven culture is actually bad for both men and women.

It's absolutely an anti-patriarchy film but A is not necessarily B.
Like they can tell the difference between criticism of masculinity and criticism of all men.

I don't know if you've noticed, but MRAs/"Manosphere"-ians who came out of the woodwork to be furious with fury road basically worship said aggressive masculinity-driven culture / toxic masculinity and don't particularly care about the men that are victimized by it too, since those men deserve to be victimized by their betters. Hence all the use of the term "beta" and "beta human being" by men who would by their own criteria never in a million years be an "alpha" male. Basically in their Mad Max-ian post apocalyptic fantasies, they're all Immortan Joe with their own personal harems, rather than the dead war boys on the side of the road.

Vintersorg posted:

I watched the first Mad Max movie tonight (with original Aussie dubs) and.... how did this movie get sequels? It was alright but didn't really awe me like Road Warrior did. I didn't really care for Max and it was jarring how at the beginning he's portrayed as some super badass just waiting to get in on the chase of Nightrider but it sorta just meanders on. It feels like it's from a totally different universe.
It was very impressive given it's very low budget.

Think of it as similar to other extremely low budget "first movies" of directors who went on to make far more polished and higher budget sequels, such as:

Robert Rodriguez - from El mariachi to Desperado
Tommy Wirkola - from Dead Snow to Dead Snow 2

Angrymog posted:

We know that Sydney wasn't nuked, just abandoned from the end of 3.
We know what happened to Sydney...

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Just for posterity, I believe I was talking about a different review in that quote than the ones you're talking about here. I have never to my knowledge said anything about Anita Sarkeesian or anything she's ever written or not written.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TerminalBlue posted:

Just for posterity, I believe I was talking about a different review in that quote than the ones you're talking about here. I have never to my knowledge said anything about Anita Sarkeesian or anything she's ever written or not written.
You were talking about the Armond White review I believe, which is why your quote is right after the Armond White quote. Would you prefer they be manually nested?

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I just got the art book and read it cover to cover, highly suggest picking it up, lots of little backstory things about basically everything and everyone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cardboard Box A posted:

I don't know if you've noticed, but MRAs/"Manosphere"-ians who came out of the woodwork to be furious with fury road basically worship said aggressive masculinity-driven culture / toxic masculinity and don't particularly care about the men that are victimized by it too, since those men deserve to be victimized by their betters. Hence all the use of the term "beta" and "beta human being" by men who would by their own criteria never in a million years be an "alpha" male. Basically in their Mad Max-ian post apocalyptic fantasies, they're all Immortan Joe with their own personal harems, rather than the dead war boys on the side of the road.

I think it's a form of solipsism.

"But I'm me, the most important person in my life, so of course I'll be the big bad motherfucker who runs everything and rules over everyone else!"

They are literal manchildren who have not yet grown a proper sense of empathy.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Cardboard Box A posted:

You were talking about the Armond White review I believe, which is why your quote is right after the Armond White quote. Would you prefer they be manually nested?

Nope. I was replying to somebody who was talking about this stupid tumblr review by somebody I imagine nobody cares about.

Whatever though, it doesn't matter. I wanna talk about car crashes and the situations that lead to/arise from them. I was done laughing at MRAs and SJWs and their various thoughts about the movie around the day it came out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KozmoNaut posted:

I think it's a form of solipsism.

"But I'm me, the most important person in my life, so of course I'll be the big bad motherfucker who runs everything and rules over everyone else!"

They are literal manchildren who have not yet grown a proper sense of empathy.
Well, yeah.

TerminalBlue posted:

Nope. I was replying to somebody who was talking about this stupid tumblr review by somebody I imagine nobody cares about.

Whatever though, it doesn't matter. I wanna talk about car crashes and the situations that lead to/arise from them. I was done laughing at MRAs and skeletons and their various thoughts about the movie around the day it came out.
Ah, my mistake. That is a great (hilarious) review, though with less effort put into it than Armond. Still, for the sake of this discussion, let us consider all of these as coming from the same place.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Saw this in 2D the other day, but I think I want to go back and see it in the 3D-est IMAX-est DBox-est sensory overload presentation possible.

What would you call the aesthetic of this franchise? Gaspunk?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bonk posted:

Saw this in 2D the other day, but I think I want to go back and see it in the 3D-est IMAX-est DBox-est sensory overload presentation possible.

Just punk, I think.

If you absolutely have to put a prefix to it, maybe dieselpunk or desertpunk?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bonk posted:

What would you call the aesthetic of this franchise? Gaspunk? Guzzpunk?

Fixed that for you. I think it'd be dieselpunk but I can never be sure.

Edit: Or Kozmo can be more right with their first answer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe petrolpunk? It is Australia, after all.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Bonk posted:

Mad Max? It pretty much created the aesthetic.

I'll also go to any lengths to avoid any (anything)punk title because they're stupid and completely miss the point of why cyberpunk was called cyberpunk in my opinion. Damned if my opinion will stop people for confusing themes with aesthetics though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

:mediocre:

Joe's relationship with his warboys can be clearly seen as fatherly, they're "his boys" after all, yet he chastises them as mediocre.

In contrast, Rictus is shown to have a close relationship with his living brother Corpus (Rictus is bigger and stronger, yet he unquestioningly listens to Corpus' direction), and despite dying before birth, Rictus considers his dead baby brother perfect in every way.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 21, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ruddiger posted:

Joe's relationship with his warboys can be clearly seen as fatherly, they're "his boys" after all, yet he chastises them as mediocre.

It's a thin line between patriarchal family structures and religious devotion and worship, as it turns out.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Early Immortan Joe concept, painfully :mediocre:, he looks like a bad fighting game boss

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Cardboard Box A posted:

Anytime it's an Armond White style "take contrary position on big pop culture thing" you know it's McIntosh.

Ha, I didn't realise this? I was replying to all femfreq's tweets, then saw a few of his tweets retweeted, started responding to him and got blocked. Dunno why I would bother but hey.

Also I find it really weird that people are complaining about male gaze and 'caressing' the bodies, it didn't happen at all.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

ruddiger posted:

:mediocre:

In contrast, Rictus is shown to have a close relationship with his living brother Corpus (Rictus is bigger and stronger, yet he unquestioningly listens to Corpus' direction), and despite dying before birth, Rictus considers his dead baby brother perfect in every way.

I found it interesting he said :mediocre: rather than something like "pathetic"

Although it is clear Immortan Joe is evil, it makes it seem like he isn't hate filled.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

freelop posted:

Although it is clear Immortan Joe is evil, it makes it seem like he isn't hate filled.

Immortan Joe gets a lot of moments you don't usually see given to villains in film. He's the one who warns Angharad about the rocks that ultimately lead to her death. I mean, his reasons are entirely self serving, but there's still real concern in his voice.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

freelop posted:

I found it interesting he said :mediocre: rather than something like "pathetic"

That, and it really emphasizes the patriarchal aspect of his character. Being :mediocre: isn't enough for modern society, you have to be better than everyone else or become ignored and forgotten. We see Nux tear himself apart over the thought of being just "average", when that should never be an insult in the first place.

E: There's a reason C is technically average and passing but is still considered a "bad grade"

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 21, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Joe instilled in his boys a sense of dying for a cause. He was able to channel their sense of anger and hopelessness of their fate into something he could use to serve him.

Mediocre is such a powerful insult because it's the fate of most people in the wasteland, to live a mediocre existence. The Warboys all look up to Joe and figure if they're gonna die it's gonna be doing something important and badass.

Had slit taken the wheel early on, Nux would have never left the compound. He would have survived the end of the movie, but because of Larry and Barry probably wouldn't have lived much longer. That and he was obviously pretty instrumental to the plot.

When he tells Max they will get rewarded for recapturing the wives, anything they could possibly want, what do you think he would want? My guess is for Joe to pat him on the head and say, Good job'. While Max was just trying to survive, Nux seemed to live his half life for validation.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Probably would of been to drive a bigger car

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just saw this last night, and while I thought it was really good, I didn't think it was face-meltingly awesome. I haven't felt that about any movie in recent memory though, so I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if previews spoil too much now...

At any rate, did anyone else feel like the first half and second half of the movie were kind of disconnected? I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I really only became invested after the sandstorm. Maybe it was due to the lack of dialogue and character development in the beginning? Not that you didn't understand the characters and their motivations, but with a lack of dialogue, I didn't feel any association to them. It wasn't until they started interacting with each other that I got comfortable with the characters.

Also, I'm not 100% sold on Hardy as Max. He looks good and can handle himself, but all I could hear during the rare moments when he spoke was Bane and his "Welcome to McDonalds, can I take your order?" voice. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much.

One thing that I thought was hilarious was the Chroming - I don't know if anyone else has brought this up, but I thought it was hilarious that the War Boys wanted to go out with a nice shiny chromed out grille, just like their revered cars. That was absolute genius on the part of Miller (or whoever thought that up.)

Also, this movie was Orky as gently caress. :orks101:

Panfilo posted:

When he tells Max they will get rewarded for recapturing the wives, anything they could possibly want, what do you think he would want? My guess is for Joe to pat him on the head and say, Good job'. While Max was just trying to survive, Nux seemed to live his half life for validation.
Like one of the wives says, the War Boys are just kids - attention and appreciation from their father figure and the recognition of the other Boys is the greatest thing in the world.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
So is there a physical release of the comics? It says at the end of http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2...y-the-beginning there should be but I can't find any other info on it. If there is a physical print is tyhere anywhere in the UK I can get it?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Well that's the whole Valhalla thing.

Women and regular dudes don't get an afterlife. Only warriors do.

So take a bunch of downtrodden, ignorant people with no guidance, add a cup of death cult religion, and two teaspoons of "I am a living god, I provide for you" and you've got yourself an inexhaustible supply of people who will kamikaze themselves for you.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Well that's the whole Valhalla thing.

Women and regular dudes don't get an afterlife. Only warriors do.

So take a bunch of downtrodden, ignorant people with no guidance, add a cup of death cult religion, and two teaspoons of "I am a living god, I provide for you" and you've got yourself an inexhaustible supply of people who will kamikaze themselves for you.

Vikings did have a normal after life for people who didn't die being awesome but I think it was way more boring.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

anita sarkeesian has really terrible tunnel vision and a pervading ignorance about the things she writes about. she's not an awful person and makes some good points sometimes but I was glad lexi alexander basically poo poo all over her.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I can't imagine that Lexi Alexander, a former kickboxing champion, would be too thrilled with the assertion that women fighting is inherently masculine.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

thehomemaster posted:

Also I find it really weird that people are complaining about male gaze and 'caressing' the bodies, it didn't happen at all.

That was one thing that I noticed, too, and I was specifically looking to see if they tried to get away with it. There was one shot that really stood out to me, it was when Max first meets up with Furiousa and the Wives; Splendid approaches Max to give him the water hose and the camera starts to zoom in on her, but it focuses on her very visibly pregnant stomach instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can't imagine that Lexi Alexander, a former kickboxing champion, would be too thrilled with the assertion that women fighting is inherently masculine.

or that violence is an unacceptable icky medium. Given that she directed Green Streets and Punisher War Zone, two physically brutal films, well...

• Locked thread