Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lawson posted:

Does anybody have more insight into what's going on with AT&T phones?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/22/att-tells-customers-to-change-their-phones-or-they-wont-work-anymore/

As of 2022 the G3 network will be turned off, leaving all phones that use G3 for calls (not data), and aren't blessed by AT&T out in the cold. As I'm looking for a new phone now, how do I find out whether something I may buy is AT&T approved? If I can help it I'd rather not buy a phone through AT&T.

3G, not G3.

Basically any new phone these days has VoLTE (voice over LTE). Unlocked devices will continue to work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Lawson posted:

Right, sorry. My reading is, as others have said, that unless AT&T specifically whitelists a model, it doesn't matter if that model has VoLTE. How would I find out if, say, the Moto G Power is whitelisted?

For obvious reasons, AT&T is lame and doesn't publicize a list of phones that are specifically whitelisted.

At this point, there's really nothing that can be said about it. No one knows what AT&T plans to do in the future, so they may end up saying that if it supports VoLTE you're good to go, or they may end up saying "lol only whitelisted phones and btw we don't publicize our list". Even now, there's no clarity on whether or not a device falls into the HD Voice (fully approved) bucket, or the VoLTE (voice works, but not technically approved) bucket, and which bucket they end up using for the final date.