Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Japanese Brie and Camembert are okay (though the latter is usually not really actual Camembert). In Tokyo, I could always find cheddar, mimolette, and some other hard cow cheese...can't remember now. Fresh mozzarella, too. For anything more unusual, I'd have to go to a foreign grocery store.

EDIT: Gorgonzola! Gorgonzola's pretty easy to find.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Lactose intolerance is way more common in Asia than it is in North America and Europe, so it seems pretty normal for a lot of Asians to look at cheese and be like "ugh why would you want to eat that." Which I think is part of the reason Asian implementations of the pizza concept come off so weirdly to Westerners.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Chantilly Say posted:

Lactose intolerance is way more common in Asia than it is in North America and Europe, so it seems pretty normal for a lot of Asians to look at cheese and be like "ugh why would you want to eat that." Which I think is part of the reason Asian implementations of the pizza concept come off so weirdly to Westerners.

This may have been true before at some point, but isn't true at all now. Dairy products are really common in Japan. Ice cream is real popular, and pretty much all pizza has cheese just like it does in the west. The sauce and toppings and stuff are different, but the cheese is like the one thing that's actually about the same.

Japanese people are just not super interested in cheese beyond 1 or 2 different kinds because a lot of them are "too strong" for the Japanese palate that favors very mild flavors. Japanese people also really prefer their foods to be soft, and so that tosses out a lot of harder cheeses too.

You can find piles of cheese at Japanese supermarkets, but the Japanese cheese industry is all about brie, camembert, mozzarella, and non-specific Japanese mozzarella that is nearly tasteless. Recently you can find small packages of red cheddar for way too much money, and it's not so terrible. They like cheese enough, but don't really seem to feel the need to get into all the different kinds.

Import food stores, which you can find in nearly any medium-sized city have better selections, but normal Japanese supermarkets aren't wastelands without dairy products.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Lactose is water-soluble, and it mostly gets washed out of cheese. If anything, Asians ought to prefer cheese to other forms of dairy. And despite whatever lactose-intolerance they have, dairy is a government supported food in Japan. So I dunno, somehow it doesn't seem to bother them.

I've read about Chinese people specifically not liking blue cheese, not because they don't like pungent things, but because it's the 'wrong' sort of pungency. There's also a bit of nationalism, as cheese is thought of as a Mongolian food.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fermented soy beans with a slimy texture? mmmm sounds delicious :suicide:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Farecoal posted:

Fermented soy beans with a slimy texture? mmmm sounds delicious :suicide:

They're not as bad as they look or smell.

I once ate natto made with charcoal (as it was described to me) at shojin ryori. It was quite salty and a bit chewy and I couldn't figure out what it tasted like...something from my childhood...boy, that's weird, I didn't eat Japanese food for the first time until I was a teenager, what in my childhood-- OH! Boogers. Tasted exactly like boogers.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Data Graham posted:

According to a teacher in high school, the Japanese regard cheese as a kind of spoiled milk and don't understand why we consider it food.

I'm not Japanese, and that's exactly what I think of cheese.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chantilly Say posted:

As someone pointed out earlier, Cheese is very low in lactose, and is generally the least lactose-rich dairy product you can get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_content_of_foods

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zanael posted:

Just saw this excellent Sweet Sundae Ramen recipe, it looks ultra tasty :

No lie, my first thought was to think it was a Korean Sundae Ramen dish, which I've had and found to be great.

Then I enlarged that image and a part of me died inside.

Otana posted:

I never found real cheese in Japan, it was plastic slices, cream cheese in triangles or pre-shredded for pizza (and that was in Hokkaido, the home of Japan's dairy industry). It made me sad. :(

Might be an Asian thing. Koreans also love their cream cheese for some reason. Almost any bread in a Korea bakery with the word "cheese" in its name actually has cream cheese. I mean, there are some rare cases where I like cream cheese, but for the most part I could do without it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dilb posted:

Lactose is water-soluble, and it mostly gets washed out of cheese. If anything, Asians ought to prefer cheese to other forms of dairy. And despite whatever lactose-intolerance they have, dairy is a government supported food in Japan. So I dunno, somehow it doesn't seem to bother them.

I've read about Chinese people specifically not liking blue cheese, not because they don't like pungent things, but because it's the 'wrong' sort of pungency. There's also a bit of nationalism, as cheese is thought of as a Mongolian food.

In recent years Chinese people have been going crazy for imported US/European cheeses, to the point where China is trying to establish a Chinese dairy industry.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/02/say-cheese-china-s-new-obsession.html

quote:

Cheese hasn’t historically been a part of Chinese cuisine, and as China has opened up cheese has taken longer to catch on than other Western foods because the taste of cheese is so exotic to the Chinese palate.

“Five years ago the Chinese were eating virtually no cheese,” says Alan Levitt, vice president of communications for the U.S. Dairy Export Council. Now, like all things China, the numbers are shooting through the roof. America sent less than 2,000 metric tons of cheese to China in 2009. “Last year we were at 11,000,” Levitt says.

At Enoterra, a fancy Shanghai wine and cheese place, in the past the customers would order the cheese platter just to order it, maybe take a bite or two, now are finishing the entire plate, save for blue cheese or other "strong" cheeses.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Nov 27, 2014

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

ErIog posted:

You can find piles of cheese at Japanese supermarkets, but the Japanese cheese industry is all about brie, camembert, mozzarella, and non-specific Japanese mozzarella that is nearly tasteless. Recently you can find small packages of red cheddar for way too much money, and it's not so terrible. They like cheese enough, but don't really seem to feel the need to get into all the different kinds.

I'm sure if you went searching you could find most foods somewhere in a big city, there just wasn't the variety of cheese I'm used to (this was going on ten years ago though, so maybe it's changed a bit). I'm basically a big spoiled cheese loving baby.

And now because I started a huge loving derail about dairy products, here's something on topic.

That is shirako. I was served it without being told what it was, and only found out years later that not only was it fish jizz, but it was fugu jizz. A double dose of culture right there.

Otana has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Nov 27, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love that jizz.

No seriously that is legit my favorite part of fish egg soup. I don't care for the eggs (well, I actually like them too), just gimme the sweet sweet fish jizz (NOT ACTUALLY SWEET).

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

No lie, my first thought was to think it was a Korean Sundae Ramen dish, which I've had and found to be great.

Then I enlarged that image and a part of me died inside.

Oh thank god, I thought we were about to get a legit ice cream- sundae-esque ramen like that horror from reddit. Ughhhh.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Away all Goats posted:

As someone pointed out earlier, Cheese is very low in lactose, and is generally the least lactose-rich dairy product you can get:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_content_of_foods

Okay, then I was wrong.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I love that jizz.

No seriously that is legit my favorite part of fish egg soup. I don't care for the eggs (well, I actually like them too), just gimme the sweet sweet fish jizz (NOT ACTUALLY SWEET).

Thanks for reminding me to cook this for breakfast one of these days! Soft herring roe, AKA Milt, AKA Big Globs of Canned Fish Spunk. Fried, with anchovy butter, on toast. A squeeze of lemon and you're golden.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Milt is fish genitals filled with fish spunk.
Urgh.

Then again we do eat eggs.
But eggs are absolutely custom made to be tasty since they have all the fat and protein while sperm is just...genetic matter.

Im getting nauseous.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's really good though

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
I was just so... underwhelmed by it. It was pasty and tasteless and I kinda thought it was a brain at the time.

I really hope they only put it on our menu to gently caress with the foreigners, because that is hilarious and I would totally do the same.

Otana has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Nov 28, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Like you ain't ever had a Texas Marshmallow Toasty before.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

Why would anyone watch this?

Why does this exist?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bikesonyx posted:

Why would anyone watch this?

Why does this exist?

This is a sex thing isn't it? I bet this is a sex thing...... why is this a sex thing?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is a sex thing isn't it? I bet this is a sex thing...... why is this a sex thing?

There was a jelly? All I saw was boobs....

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jesus

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And the chips have little pizzas on them.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

What the hell, I'd try it.

I'm sure I would regret it but let's roll the loving dice. :rolldice:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Let's start the watch for when they finally figure out how to cram doritos onto KFC stuff and complete the PepsiCo trinity.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

theironjef posted:

Let's start the watch for when they finally figure out how to cram doritos onto KFC stuff and complete the PepsiCo trinity.

Potato Chip Chicken is absolutely a thing, so it's just a matter of substitution.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

To be fair, I miss Pizza Hut flavored Doritos.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Solice Kirsk posted:

this is the one time something like that on the internet was NOT uploaded as a sex thing - it was uploaded by noted food historian Ivan Day just to show what historical jellies looked like in practice and how their wobbling was a novelty for the 18th century aristos who popularized them

however the 18th century aristos were probably amused by it as a sex thing
and at least some of the youtube views have probably been jerking off to it
so intent means nothing; everything on the internet is a sex thing eventually

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

theironjef posted:

Now I wonder if KFC makes sweet cola chicken.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

this is the one time something like that on the internet was NOT uploaded as a sex thing - it was uploaded by noted food historian Ivan Day just to show what historical jellies looked like in practice and how their wobbling was a novelty for the 18th century aristos who popularized them

however the 18th century aristos were probably amused by it as a sex thing
and at least some of the youtube views have probably been jerking off to it
so intent means nothing; everything on the internet is a sex thing eventually

Rich European upper class people were obsessed with jelly/gelatin based foods from the 1700s up until the late 1800s. Most of it tasted like complete poo poo and was literally expensive food stuck in a mold to look impressive.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Rich European upper class people were obsessed with jelly/gelatin based foods from the 1700s up until the late 1800s. Most of it tasted like complete poo poo and was literally expensive food stuck in a mold to look impressive.

Because it was expensive as poo poo to hold something at that low of a temperature for the gelatin to become semi-solid. It was a status thing. Then it became popular in the 50-60s because everyone wanted to show off their new fridge.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i made a whole post about jellies earlier in the thread if you click the little ?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Bring back aspics, I like it when my dinner is suspended in bone gel and wiggles a lot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bring back aspics, I like it when my dinner is suspended in bone gel and wiggles a lot.

You're in luck, my friend..

First project: larks' tongues

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Agenda: Make super tasty meat and spinach and feta pie!

EXPECTATION

REALITY??

CLOSE AND NUKE IT!!

oh well in the end it turned out alright I just can't photo

pr0n

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
That 's a pretty tasty-looking Spanakopita. I have a similar problem, nothing I cook comes out like in the magazines or the web. Care to share the recipe?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Man, this probably tastes fine, like a puffed rice chocolate bar... but it just looks gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I am sorry on behalf of my people.

• Locked thread